Blog: WordPress (WP) – How do YOU use the site? Feedback & Questions

When I first began using WordPress, I thought it was a fairly easy-to-use interface which had a tremendous amount of configuration. Now that I’m publishing between 6 and 8 posts per day between the 365 Challenge, book reviews, blogging and other content, I’m re-organizing some of the content and structure to keep the administration at a minimum. As the site is growing, and I’m getting more followers and following a lot more people, I’m running into a bunch of limitations with minimal search and filter options… So I thought I’d ask the experts, the intermediates and the newbies a few questions:

use it

Devices Used

What devices do you utilize for viewing or publishing content on your WordPress blog?

• Desktop or Laptop
  • Smart Phone
  • Tablet
  • Other

Jay’s Answer

For writing or publishing content, I use my laptop. I need the larger keyboard and touch-screen with big enough buttons to work more quickly.

For viewing other people’s posts, I use all three devices. Pros/Cons

Laptop: I can easily open multiple screens, not lose my place and flip back and forth while something is loading.

Tablet/Phone: I can more quickly read thru posts and like items that are short, but then it’s hard to note which ones I want to go back and read later when I have more time because they are longer. So I end up with a mix of “did I read that yet?” and “Shoot, I think I missed a few posts.”

For comments, I use all three devices.

overload

Viewing Your Follower’s Posts

How do you find and view your follower’s posts?

• You receive an email when they post
    • Very helpful as I can delete the ones I don’t find of interest or when I’m done reading them
    • A lot of administration to keep up in my email’s Inbox
  • You receive a daily email
    • Duplicate efforts because I try to look throughout the day in the “Reader” when I have a few spare moments.
    • Easy to catch all at once, but then I am spending a lot of time all at once
  • You receive a weekly email
    • Too infrequent, I miss posts and don’t get to interact enough with my online friends
  • You don’t receive email, but check “Reader” to find new content
    • Easiest, but then I run into issues knowing which I did or did not read yet
  • Other

Jay’s Answer

I’m struggling a bit here. When I followed a small amount of people, I received an email every time the person posted.

As I started following more people, I switched to a daily email, but I’d also periodically check during the day.

When I began following over 200 people, I switched to no email for anyone, but I would scroll through the posts in “Reader” all throughout the day.

Now I’ve got a lot more people I’m following, with maybe 50 or so frequent online friends whom I interact with almost daily. I am trying out a mix of immediate email for some people and checking “Reader” when I have free time.

I don’t want to miss anything! Help! Ideas?

mind

Note: Please ask any other questions… I’d love for this to be interactive where all of my friends and their friends throw out ideas!!!

About Me

I’m Jay and I live in NYC. By profession, I work in technology. By passion, I work in writing. Once you hit my site “ThisIsMyTruthNow” at https://thisismytruthnow.com, you can join the fun and see my blog and various site content. You’ll find book reviews, published and in-progress fiction, TV/Film reviews, favorite vacation spots and my own version of the “365 Daily Challenge.” Since March 13, 2017, I’ve posted a characteristic either I currently embody or one I’d like to embody in the future. 365 days of reflection to discover who I am and what I want out of life… see how you compare! And each month, I will post a summary of a trip I’ve taken somewhere in the world. I’ll cover the transportation, hotel, restaurants, activities, who, what, when, where and why… and let you decide for yourself if it’s a trip worth taking.

Feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Tell me what you think. Note: All content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators.

26 thoughts on “Blog: WordPress (WP) – How do YOU use the site? Feedback & Questions

May 15, 2017 at 2:48 PM

Good to get interaction on this, I’ve been using WP since it launched so have seen a lot of improvements and changes over the years. I’ve tried other blogging platforms aswell but always come back! I always use a laptop for writing posts, I like my posts formatted perfectly so the laptop is the best place for that so I can switch to HTML when I need to, and preview as I go. I find the tablet and phone apps too fiddly for the formatting. For reading peoples blogs I tend to do that on my phone, I like the more personal feel of the phone when reading.

May 15, 2017 at 2:51 PM

Cool, thanks for responding. We’re similar on the laptop for writing posts. I have an iPhone and downloaded the WP app. I like the reader interface because I can quickly go into and out of the posts. I’d love a feature to hide or show, just so I can mark something I want to read later or don’t need to look at later.

May 15, 2017 at 2:59 PM

Yes same, I’d quite like a way to mark favourites so that I could prioritise blogs I read frequently over ones I only read when I have time.

May 15, 2017 at 3:00 PM

Yes. That would be very helpful!

Darque Dreamer Reads said:
    May 15, 2017 at 3:44 PM

I usually just use WP on my desktop. I find it easier to view everything. I dislike that I am unable to click on my followers from the full list. I follow all my followers but I also follow many others, so even though I can find their clickable sites from the list of people I follow, it is quite difficult to get to all of them in a timely manner. I hadn’t thought about email notifications on my followers until the list became bigger 😦 . Other than that, I enjoy using WP and am learning new things daily.

May 15, 2017 at 3:46 PM

I appreciate the feedback. I agree with you on not being able to dive deeper into the followers from that location. I can right-click a few things, but often I’m stuck opening multiple windows to see their site, then find out who they are, etc. Thanks for sharing!

Darque Dreamer Reads said:
        May 15, 2017 at 3:51 PM

No problem. I would be interested to see if someone has a good idea with keeping track of our followers better. 🙂

Judy said:
    May 15, 2017 at 4:14 PM

I appreciate this information, more particularly about utilizing the Reader. I’ve under used it.

May 15, 2017 at 4:16 PM

I have a love and hate relationship with the reader. I end up using mostly on my phone to flip thru quickly when I have a few free moments. Holler if you have any questions! 🙂

Judy said:
        May 15, 2017 at 4:21 PM

I only use my desk top. No smart phone. 🙄 Really. 😀 Knowing about how the different devices show content is also helpful when thinking of my readers.

May 15, 2017 at 5:02 PM

I write posts on the desktop but if I have an idea and I’m nowhere near my laptop I’ll start it on my phone and finish it on my laptop. I rely on the Reader. When I first started I wasn’t getting emails until I set up the Postman plugin and then I got tons of emails which Gmail separates pretty easily. Social tabs shows posts, Primary tab shows comments and Updates tab shows likes.
    The app, at least on Android, is really good at notifications. I respond to comments and read blog posts that I like mostly through the app because half the time certain letters don’t work on the desktop when you’re trying to comment through Reader on desktop. Reader is also nice because some people have some blinding websites and you don’t have to see them with Reader.
    If I’m trying to discover new blogs I strictly use the desktop. It’s pretty impossible to find new people on mobile.
    Hope some of that helps. I’m in the newbie stage myself.

May 15, 2017 at 5:15 PM

Great feedback. Email accounts are important for how it sorts the messages. Good call.

Birdie said:
    May 15, 2017 at 6:42 PM

I love this blog post. It makes for a great discussion.

I tend to use my laptop (or work computer when nobody’s looking) for writing my blog posts. I just like the use of a full keyboard with actual buttons. I don’t like using a tablet or my cellphone for writing because I feel like it slows everything down. I do love having the app on my phone, but I mainly use it for commenting back to blogging friends and checking my stats on occasion. (Okay, so daily. Probably multiple times a day. It feels good!)

Usually I rely on emails that I get as soon as they post. It can be overwhelming though because I do follow more than a couple hundred blogs. I pretty much have to keep up with it daily. I do also go to my reader and scroll through to find any blogs that I didn’t get an email for.

Books, Vertigo and Tea said:
    May 15, 2017 at 7:15 PM

I am still a bit new to WP with just under a year in on the blog, but have tried several devices and given up on most. My phone and tablet seem to both have issues with liking/approving comments and posts. And if I am going to comment or write a post, I absolutely must have a keyboard. I was using my pc, but broke down and bought a Chromebook just for blogging and love it. It is so light weight and seems to do all I need. It makes it easier on those days that I cannot walk or move about.

I have a few blogs that I still follow by email, but it honestly became to much. I follow a lot of blogs. Right now, I rely on my feed. It is not the best system. So if you discover something wonderful, do tell 🙂

May 15, 2017 at 8:38 PM

I will keep you posted if I hear anything that will help us. Love the feed but sometimes it seems endless. It’s a good thing tho!

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    May 15, 2017 at 7:57 PM

I’m like you- I always use my laptop for writing, but sometimes use my phone for checking comments. I agree with the person above- writing on the phone just produces way too many formatting issues- but it’s good for comments. Ahh yes, the email/reader question is tough- I never really work the email thing- I’m useless at keeping up with emails in general. At this point, I mostly just go to particular sites and rarely use the reader anymore unless I just fancy a random scroll- it mostly works for me, only problem is the filing system in my brain can be imperfect 😉 I don’t know if that helps!

May 15, 2017 at 8:52 PM

When I am writing a blog post I always use my laptop however if I am adding an image to my post I add it by using my iPhone. I use my iPhone for taking all of my pictures and it’s easier just to add them that way then to email them to myself and then save them to my computer etc. For reading other people’s blog post I like using my phone for that. I don’t get email notifications at all. I always go through the reader multiple times a day. I keep up with the posts I have read by liking every single one that I read. If it doesn’t say that I have liked it then I know I still need to read that post.

May 15, 2017 at 8:55 PM

Good to know. I’m the same way with the pictures. But if I took the photo, which is rare, I email it back and forth. LOL

May 15, 2017 at 8:59 PM

Since I realized it’s much easier just to use the phone to add the photos I never email them anymore. I ain’t got time for all that lol. Actually I do have time I’m just to lazy!!

May 15, 2017 at 9:00 PM

Totally understand. Makes it easier. I need to give it a chance.

Kristin Joy said:
    May 16, 2017 at 11:00 PM

Laptop and ultimate book blogger plugin makes blogging easiest for me.

I read posts on the reader app with my highest priority being to click through those who have commented on or liked things recently first.

I will be honest, emails about posts feels overwhelming to me. They almost always fo straight to the trash without me reading them.

The reader allows me to read posts while I sit at my daughter’s therapy sessions.

luvtoread said:
    May 28, 2017 at 8:23 PM

I pretty much just use my laptop for writing/formatting and reading other blogs. I have the app on my cellphone, but I don’t really use it other than for alerts. I like to do everything on my laptop so I can see the code when I’m formatting. It’s just easier because there is more space to see.
    I get emails for all blogs that I follow, which is totally overwhelming at times, like right now, when this morning I had over 2800 emails to go through, as I’m weeks behind on visiting other blogs. But now that my semester is over, and all I have to worry about is work, I should be able to catch up soon ! It gets very overwhelming sometimes. I don’t like to use the reader, as I feel I miss things and I can’t ever remember where I left off. So email it is!

May 28, 2017 at 8:59 PM

I am in the same place as you, except I’m not getting 2800 emails! Maybe about 25% of that! But I feel like it’s better on my laptop. Thank you so much for sharing. Glad to hear from you.