365 Challenge: Day 75 – Patient

Patient: able to accept or tolerate delays, problems, or suffering without becoming annoyed or anxious

Patience is not something innately arriving at my doorstep, exquisitely wrapped within a lovely basket, a brilliant bow and all the rest of the pomp-and-circumstance trimmings. It’s more like the tragic, nagging reminder in the back of my head, warning me to be good and to let things happen naturally — or I’ll grow warts and hairy moles. And when those are the measures at stake, who the hell wants warts and moles? Or wants more warts and moles… cause you know we all have one at some point in our life… don’t even try to hide from this one, my friends!

We’re told at a young age to allow whatever situation you’re waiting to occur… to happen naturally. Naturally. Does anything happen naturally anymore? So many things in our lives are artificially triggered or engineered, it’s hard to know what’s occurring on its own or happening due to a gentle [read: massive] push from some other force. And the energy behind those “other” forces often leave you unable to determine what should have happened on its own in the first place.

I am very much driven by accomplishments and checking things off the “To Do” list. I always have a bit of anxiety just beneath the surface of my skin when there is something I need to do, but haven’t yet gotten to it. I remembered this morning that I also have the same little aggravating pulse, throbbing beneath my skin when it comes to my control over the art of patience. It’s painful, annoying and itchy. And I want it to balance itself out, so I don’t have to think about it. But it’s always been a battle of wills that I struggle to win on a regular basis.

I want something. It’s within inches of my grasp. But I have to wait. Why? Perhaps it’s not my turn. Could be that it’s not yet ready. Maybe it’s not meant for me. Eh… too many things fall into that category… yet I let them control my actions. When I push myself to think about why it’s so frustrating, I believe it boils down to the mere fact that I have way too much to do. And unfortunately, I also believe we’re all on that same boat treading water in a very deep and wide ocean. There is never enough time to do the things we want to do, and failing to accept that reality can have major consequences.

My lack of patience isn’t over something specific today. No grandiose situation perforated my life (other than the usual ones we all face). It’s simply a moment in time reflection that we are all way too busy, yet sometimes finding ourselves with nothing we want to do, and trying to patiently wait for whatever it is that’s supposed to come next. When I reflect on this behavior over the years, I recognize that it’s been a fairly consistent one: lack of patience for most anything going on in my life.

It’s not an outward manifestation, but an internal one. Consuming. Niggling. Yes, sometimes it causes a bit of eye-twitching, teeth-grinding or is lack of sleep-inducing, but I’m fortunate enough to take the brunt of it myself, saving others from feeling my undeserved wrath. I’m sure you’re familiar… we all are at some point: very few of us are just comfortable 24/7 with whatever happens when it happens.

Patience is a virtue. Patience is rewarded. Patience is honorable. We hear these little sayings all the time. And yes, I’m sure to a large extent, they are quite true. But it is also an art that needs to be practiced — if we ever want to achieve it as a natural and normal state of our reactions to situations. Some people find patience in religion, exercise or spirituality. Others find it elsewhere. I’m not looking to understand how to become a more patient person, as I kinda know what I need to do. I think I may just be too old to change it. You know what they say about old dogs…

And it got me thinking… what if we had a chance to scrap it all over and start fresh? A re-start or new beginning to our life. Forget about the implications and the things you’d lose by engaging in such a marvelous re-boot to your days. I’m not getting philosophical in my daily post, but what if you could keep an on-going journal of all the things you wish you’d learned how to do the proper way when you first entered this world. And then you could share it with yourself and watch from a distance to see how it all turned out — a second time around. Would you do it? Would you have the patience to watch yourself make the same mistakes? Or new ones? Or witness the improvements?

Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators.

18 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 75 – Patient

May 26, 2017 at 9:25 AM

What do you mean when you say “Learn things the proper way?” Open to interpretation perhaps? Is there a concrete definition for what is defined as “proper”? I think mistakes are necessary in order to learn, grow and adapt so I would definitely watch myself make the same mistakes again because it made me who I am today. 🙂

May 26, 2017 at 11:37 AM

Open to interpretation is best answer. And true… mistakes make us learn. Good points. For me… Proper kinda meant when I realize the things that matter later on. And the way I was previously thinking or doing something was wrong.

May 26, 2017 at 12:03 PM

I see what you mean. Kind of like learning from epiphany moments. Great post as usual James 🙂

May 26, 2017 at 12:04 PM

I appreciate it!

May 27, 2017 at 10:39 AM

Woke up thinking about this some more… and when I said “proper,” I think I also meant learning all the things at a young enough age to be a good person and do the right thing. Like volunteering to help others, or how to be nice, or the basics on how to take care of yourself, or how to be in a relationship, how to balance your checkbook, when to keep secrets and when to reveal them… all those things that speak to who we are as a person, whether we’re admirable and authentic, or fake and surface-oriented. I feel like maybe it’s what I should write a book about — lessons for everyone in life! Not that I’m by any means the most knowledgeable person or even qualified… just I think so much about this stuff and feel so average in everything I do, that I relate to almost everyone else somehow on some level. Does that make sense? Or am I just babbling… LOL

May 27, 2017 at 10:47 AM

It makes a ton of sense. You are more knowledgeable than you think! If you wrote a 365 book, I honestly think it would be a huge hit. We’re all not going to have the same experiences but when you share yours the way that you do, you inspire people in some way or make them think, laugh, etc. I understand what you mean about being proper. Learning when we’re young and then learning when we’re older hopefully gives us a more open mind about the world.

May 26, 2017 at 2:11 PM

oh, and by “best answer” — I meant my best guess… not that it was the BEST answer. Sorry! LOL

May 26, 2017 at 11:37 AM

Things are very subjective. You are right.

May 26, 2017 at 10:06 AM

Great post! I don’t consider myself a patient person but I’m not impatient. I find people’s need for needing things and information right now quite sad. There is a lack of willingness to wait for anything any more which I find very unnerving.

May 26, 2017 at 11:35 AM

Good points. It’s always a matter of perspective, this a difference to the person who has it and the person who needs it, in regard to info.

Kevin Baum said:
    May 26, 2017 at 10:13 AM

It ain’t about how hard you can hit – it’s about how hard you GET hit and keep movin’ forward!

Kristin said:
    May 26, 2017 at 11:19 AM

Being a mom with a chronic condition and to children with the same condition has weathered me into having a fair amount of patience.

I’m learning that no matter how much I obsess, it won’t accomplish the things that are only accomplished with time.

I’ve learned to let go of some of my insane need to control every aspect of my life and donwhat I call “floating.”

People don’t realize what they ask for when they ask for patience.

My patience comes from hard lessons in life. I think, perhaps, I envy those who come to me saying, “I wish I had your patience.”

At the age of 18 months my child was diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. At 24 months we found that due to her condition her aortic root was “on the large side of normal.”

We had to wait an entire year for the next test.

Last year we found out she moved on into “slightly dilated aorta”

And we now wait until November of this year to “see what happens”

I was going so crazy worrying about what the test might reveal thag eventually I had to learn to just be patient.

While there’s a certain immaturity that goes along with the need for instant gratification…I don’t think slight impatience in the grand scheme of things is a character flaw.

Honestly, I kind of would discourage people from asking for patience. As my grandmother used to say, “It can be a long row to hoe.”

May 26, 2017 at 1:58 PM

I give you full credit for being able to accomplish all that you have and to still be able to say everything you’ve just said. I can’t imagine going thru what you have had to go thru, especially with your children. If you can have patience, then so should I be able to.

Thank you for sharing. And I hope the best for you and your family going thru all of it. You are someone to admire.

Kristin said:
        May 26, 2017 at 2:08 PM

😊 I just think a little impatience isn’t so bad! Nothing to feel guilty over! Contentment is the one to grasp for. You seem an ambitious person who reaches for the stars and will get there. It’s okay to feel a little impatient with the journey. As long as it isn’t making you miserable ❤️

May 26, 2017 at 2:10 PM

Wise thoughts. And thank you. Definitely not miserable…

Kristin said:
    May 26, 2017 at 11:21 AM

Ignore typos! WordPress seriously needs to allow us to edit our comments 🙂 My phone hates me 😂