TAG: This Is My Genre Tell Me Yours Book

I want to thank Misty at mistysbookspace for tagging me to participate in the “This Is My Genre Tell Me Yours” book tag. It’s a great way to share your love of a whole new area of books for someone else to love. And Misty’s got a great blog full of reviews, author info and book tours — great stuff beyond the normal book review!

thisismtgenrenrwlogo

Here are the rules:

• Credit Drew @ TheTattooedBookGeek as the creator of the tag, use the created tag name graphic and link back to his blog. (Also, if you want to learn more about the tag you can see Drew’s post HERE.) He’s also got a fantastic site… lots of humor and valuable insights into life.
  • Answer the questions.
  • Tag as many people as you want.

And now comes the fun part, the questions!

1. What is your favorite genre?

It’s a toss-up between mystery / thriller / suspense. And all three are slightly different. What’s a book junkie to do??? MYSTERY!

2. Who is your favorite author from the genre?

agatha.jpg

Agatha Christie wrote hundreds of mystery and suspense short stories, novellas and novels, containing multiple crime solving detectives all over the world She’s highly imaginative, quite clever and a fantastic character developer.

3. What is it about the genre that keeps pulling you back?

Life can be dull and boring. You may get busy or deal with some weird people who do silly things, but very few of us are ever involved in a murder mystery. In a mystery, you can play so many roles: victim, killer, witness, suspect or detective. It offers you something different from normal life, a way to use your brain for deep analysis and clue-solving. You have wild characters, intense plots and beautiful settings. You get red herrings and direct motives. You always have something to keep your mind guessing and enjoying what you read.

4. What is the book that started your love for the genre?

none

Agatha Christie’s “And Then There Were None.” You can see my review here.

5. If you had to recommend at least one book from your favorite genre to a non-reader/ someone looking to start reading that genre, what book would you choose and why?

oreint.jpg

Agatha Christie’s novella “Murder on the Orient Express.” See my review here. It’s a mystery that will perplex you and help you find something you never knew you were missing. It may be nearly a century old, but it’s still so very complex and mysterious.

postmortem.jpg

For those who need something more current or a bit more thriller and dark, I’d go with Patricia Cornwell’s “Postmortem.” See my review here.

alibi.jpg

For those who want a modern almost cozy mystery, I’d choose Sue Grafton’s “A is for Alibi.”

6. Why do you read?

To visit places I’ve never been before. To do things I can’t do in person. To meet people I find interesting. To take a break from every day boring and mundane happenstance. To exercise my creative mind by building images, actions and emotions in my head, despite only reading words on a page.

I’m Tagging:

Kristin

erinthedreamer

Sophie @ Blame Chocolate

alwaystrustinbooks

Nashra Usmani

Mischenko

If you don’t want to do this feel free to just ignore it. If you want to do it but weren’t listed, you should. I picked the last 6 people I interacted with on WordPress. Thanks for reading!

About Me

I’m Jay and I live in NYC. By profession, I work in technology. By passion, I work in writing. Once you hit my site “ThisIsMyTruthNow” at https://thisismytruthnow.com, you can join the fun and see my blog and various site content. You’ll find book reviews, published and in-progress fiction, TV/Film reviews, favorite vacation spots and my own version of the “365 Daily Challenge.” Since March 13, 2017, I’ve posted a characteristic either I currently embody or one I’d like to embody in the future. 365 days of reflection to discover who I am and what I want out of life… see how you compare! Each month, I will post a summary of a trip I’ve taken somewhere in the world. I’ll cover the transportation, hotel, restaurants, activities, who, what, when, where and why… and let you decide for yourself if it’s a trip worth taking. Feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Tell me what you think. Note: All content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators.

32 thoughts on “TAG: This Is My Genre Tell Me Yours Book

Karalee said:
    May 26, 2017 at 3:08 PM

I love And Then There Were None!

E. Michael Helms, writer said:
    May 26, 2017 at 3:10 PM

Fun idea, but I’m pressed for time right now. Maybe save for later?
    –Michael

May 26, 2017 at 3:17 PM

Thanks for doing this tag!! I enjoyed reading your answer.

May 26, 2017 at 3:39 PM

I need to introduce you to science fiction!

May 26, 2017 at 3:44 PM

Throw out any suggestions… I’d love to try something new!

May 26, 2017 at 3:45 PM

Well, first, have you ever seen Firefly? Battlestar Galactica? Star Wars?

May 26, 2017 at 3:46 PM

I saw 2 of the Star Wars from the 80s and 2 of the versions when they started making them again, but not the last few. Haven’t seen the other shows/movies either yet.

May 26, 2017 at 3:50 PM

James you’re killing me. Literally, haha. Most science fiction stories take place in a space setting where aliens and cyborgs are involved or it could be a steampunk era. I need you to watch Firefly at least as soon as possible. It’s on Netflix and only has one season and a movie

May 26, 2017 at 3:52 PM

Hmm… ok, I will give that a try. We didn’t watch Masters of None last night but we will watch it this weekend.

As for sci-fi, I like Star Trek Voyager????

And I can look up Firefly this weekend too. 🙂

May 26, 2017 at 3:59 PM

You watch Firefly and if you like it, I will bring you into the book world of science fiction. Star trek counts as scif-fi!

May 26, 2017 at 4:02 PM

Yes! So I am not a complete and utter newbie. I promise to watch a masters of none and a firefly this weekend. (Monday counts as part of the weekend).

May 26, 2017 at 4:05 PM

Yes it does! I can catch up on my reading! I’m so behind!

May 26, 2017 at 3:40 PM

Or even better, urban fantasy

May 26, 2017 at 3:44 PM

what is that? I don’t know a whole lot about that genre

May 26, 2017 at 3:46 PM

It’s fantasy world melded into an urban environment. For example, a grim reaper who’s also an investigator for the city police Dept. That’s considered urban fantasy

May 26, 2017 at 3:51 PM

Yes, I would like that!

May 26, 2017 at 3:58 PM

Do you like romance in your novels?

May 26, 2017 at 4:01 PM

I don’t dislike it. If it’s in there, and done well, I’m good. Not huge into any sort of sex scenes — not because I don’t like them, but because that’s not usually why I am reading a book — if there is a sex scene, it needs to be like a drunk hardcore hook up and not the “romantic loving” kind… not sure what that says about me, but then again, I do like ‘danger’ as I pointed to in that other tag. I think I’ll shut up now. So….

romance is fine as long as it’s not a huge focus and all about the sappy part.

May 26, 2017 at 4:05 PM

Maybe you’ll like Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews. The storyline is definitely not revolving around romance even though their is some but the main plot is basically a mercenary of sorts that deals with magical incidents when the police and other alphabet soup divisions can’t. There’s lots of mythology in it along with the shapeshifters, vampires, witches, eye and lots of magical politics

May 26, 2017 at 4:11 PM

Sounds like that might work. I do like witches and magic.

therandomblogofirreverentthoughts said:
    May 26, 2017 at 6:12 PM

I like reality stories of adventure and travel and endurance sports. If you have a look at my blog you will see some reviews. Other than that, I read a lot. I don’t go for novels these days, just a mix of realistic portrayals of personal experiences.

May 26, 2017 at 8:35 PM

Totally understand. I enjoy reading your posts. Not focused on the same things as mine, but still of interest and very captivating and focused. A good read each day.

therandomblogofirreverentthoughts said:
        May 27, 2017 at 10:08 AM

Hey thanks James, I want you to keep in touch, man. I think its really interesting to peer into the life of a guy in NYC. That’s the joy of blogging, making contacts with people from all walks in all locations….

May 27, 2017 at 10:51 AM

Absolutely. I’m still poking around your site today… enjoying the tattoo section!

Kristin said:
    May 26, 2017 at 11:53 PM

And then there were none!!! Eeps! Love it! Definitely one of my favorite Agatha Christie booksz

I will do this sometime tomorrow (technically today)

I was out of the house today for errands (and strawberry picking!)

Sophie @ Blame Chocolate said:
    May 30, 2017 at 2:24 PM

Great answers, James! Agatha Christie is such a classic, I really need to read some of her books ASAP
    Thank you so much for the tag but I’ve already done this one 🙂 I very much appreciate the thought, though!
    Hope you have a great week 😊

May 30, 2017 at 2:26 PM

Absolutely. No worries. I will have to check your tag out. Thanks for the response. And yes, you do need to read more of her books!