365 Challenge: Day 84 – Blue (Color)

Blue: (a) of a color intermediate between green and violet, as of the sky or sea on a sunny day, or (b) melancholy, sad, and depressed

blue

Sunday posts, the end of each week, have become a theme on This-Is-My-Truth-Now, organized by groups of five (5). In the first set of five, we explored my primary ethnicity groups and nationalities. In the second set of five, we had the AtoZ Challenges for various favorite things in our lives. And so… I’m continuing the trend of the seventh day, ending the week on Sunday, as a list (we know I love them) that provides more in depth knowledge about me. Only this time, I’m going with colors that are important to who we are. For the next five Sundays, I will select a color that has some significance to my life and explore it in my post.

blueline

Color: Blue. When I was born, blue went into a boy’s bedroom and pink went into a girl’s bedroom. Maybe that’s why I love the color blue. Cause I’m a boy. Oh please… Pick whatever color you want — why make it such a big deal! At least that’s how I feel… and since that is a very common, though antiquated, interpretation, I couldn’t go the whole post without mentioning it, but also saying I don’t feel it’s important. That said, I did grow up on the color blue and I do like it very much. But the reason I chose it as one of the 5 colors that represent me well is more because of its alternative definitions — not necessarily depressed or sad, but calm. It generally has a very muted, low-key and relaxed feeling to it (obviously not all bright or bold blue colors), and people turn to the sky or the ocean, the two biggest representations of the color blue, when they need a sense of peace. {Aside: BTW, the links in this post take you to previous 365 posts where the characteristic was something I blogged about.}

I’m not too fond of the ocean, simply because I don’t really know how to swim. My grandmother taught me when I was young, but I never felt comfortable in the water. Having poor eyesight meant when I was in the water, I either went without glasses and couldn’t see well, or I wore them and constantly had to dry off the lenses to be able to see. I could never swim underwater as it bothered my eyes, drying them out quickly. So I avoid the water for those reasons, but also because it’s generally too cold for me. I like water around 90 degrees, which it rarely gets to unless I’m in a heated pool. Swimming in the Mediterranean in Barcelona was the only time I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Even in Hawaii, it was too cold; although I did jump into a waterfall one day… I’ve got the pictures to prove it, but I can’t share them, as I was wearing very little or nothing in those photos for that impromptu experience (wild side comes out sometimes). Instead, I’ll show a photo of beautiful blue rose!

rose

Let’s chat about famous examples of the color blue… And yes, there are probably more, but these are the ones that come to mind or I have familiarity with:

• Blue Whale
  • Blue Man Group
  • The Blues
  • Blue Ribbon
  • True Blue
  • Blue Balls (Please! I can’t ignore this one…)
  • Blue Blood
  • Blueberries
  • The Blue Lagoon
  • Blue Jeans
  • Bluebird
  • Turned up out of the blue
  • Blue Sky
  • “Little Blue Pill” — for the life of me, I can’t remember what it is…
  • Ocean Water
  • Cookie Monster — this is totally me with any package of cookies

From a quick InterWebs search, descriptions of the color blue, in regard to a person’s thoughts and feelings, confirm the following:

“Blue is associated with open spaces, freedom, intuition, imagination, expansiveness, inspiration, and sensitivity… as the color of the spirit, it invokes rest and can cause the body to produce chemicals that are calming and exude feelings of tranquility.”

You can read more at: http://www.bourncreative.com/meaning-of-the-color-blue/

The Fifth Element is one of my favorite movies. It combines humor, art, history, revenge, secrets and the future. What does it have to do with the color blue? If you’ve seen it, do you remember this woman singing? How cool was her voice and the action in that seen!

The color blue has always been in at least one room in my home, no matter where I lived. In my current pad, it’s one of two primary colors in bedroom (the other is grey).  A quick photo (about a year old) — too lazy to get the latest ones with all the pictures on the walls and more pillows (orange, as it needed a splash of color).

IMG_0152

As a kid, I hated blue jeans. I couldn’t wear them — they were too itchy. And since I wasn’t allowed out of the house in sweats or gym-type clothing, I had to wear khakis all the time. I went to public school – none of that fancy private stuff for me!!! – and of course, I always got some comments for dressing “well” when everyone else wore jeans.  At 18, I gave jeans a try again, and finally… I could wear them. Now I live in them… or sweats… or shorts because I’m always hot. But the funny thing is… of the 8 pairs of jeans I currently own, only two are blue. I also don’t own a blue suit. I have one pair of blue corduroys, but blue mostly comes into my wardrobe either in dress shirts or casual every day shirts. And even in the latest picture of me (from last night), even though the sun is toning it down a bit, I was wearing blue. I had a few too many drinks right before dinner and needed a bit of a nap on the terrace, hence the slightly dazed look in my eyes.

me

How do you feel about the color blue? Did I miss any famous “blue” things or phrases and names with the word “blue” in them. I know I did… but I can’t seem to remember right now.

Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators.

31 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 84 – Blue (Color)

June 4, 2017 at 9:29 AM

Fun fact. I was taken home in a blue blanket! Grew up loving blue but then shifted to purple and green. I think if Blue Ivy, Beyonce’s daughter and also the movie Avatar cause all those ppl were blue.

June 4, 2017 at 9:34 AM

Cute story. Exactly. Colors shouldn’t matter for babies. Point proved! Definitely avatar. Loved that one. Forgot about! True, Blue Ivy. Nice catch!

shalini said:
    June 4, 2017 at 9:32 AM

Hi Jay, I love the blue color.. It used to be black on my 20s, in my 30s, I was colourless, now I am into blues… There is something soothing and fiery in its different shades… I personally prefer to wear a darker blue shade but certain blues don’t make me feel blue… Makes sense??

June 4, 2017 at 9:35 AM

Yes. I know what you mean. And thanks for the share. Black is probably still my favorite. Always looks best on me and I like the contrast. Darker blues are great for that too.

shalini said:
        June 4, 2017 at 9:38 AM

Ur poll link does not open

June 4, 2017 at 9:39 AM

Hmmm. Thanks I will fix that!

shalini said:
        June 4, 2017 at 9:40 AM

I like blue black combination too, preferably black jeans… But I don’t ever want to be blue and black (painful) … Hehehe… Silly play of words

June 4, 2017 at 9:46 AM

Oh how could I forget black and blue. So true!

shalini said:
        June 4, 2017 at 9:47 AM

Rated ur poll from the web page

June 4, 2017 at 11:11 AM

Thanks… I’ll try to figure out the issue when I get home tonight. Odd! 🙂

shalini said:
        June 4, 2017 at 11:15 AM

Is there a way to send u a screenshot of what I get when I click on your link… Maybe I am too far off… Blue oceans away with blue whales in it(there is really blue whale… I googled ) … Hehehe

June 4, 2017 at 11:19 AM

probably…. depending on your phone, there are 3 buttons to click and it screen shots whatever is on your screen. Does it look like all code I think that happens when I copy / paste a poll rather than enter the new number.

shalini said:
        June 4, 2017 at 11:21 AM

Yea it looks all code,, weird numbers. I meant screenshot in the reply box of comment section

June 4, 2017 at 11:22 AM

Hahaha. That I am not sure! Sorry.

shalini said:
    June 4, 2017 at 11:22 AM

Cool

shalini said:
    June 4, 2017 at 11:27 AM

It’s fine.. U got the point… Why is a poll needed??

June 4, 2017 at 11:38 AM

It was part of original post. And I forgot to remove it!

Jo-Ann said:
    June 4, 2017 at 11:57 AM

Ahhh…blue. My favourite colour. And teal. Last fall I did some redecorating. I went from warm reds and golds with a touch of navy to light greys, silver with teal/turquoise accents. Not too many people can say that their hair colour matches their front door, but I can!

June 4, 2017 at 11:59 AM

I thought I saw color in your hair. Couldn’t tell at first if it was blue or green! Looks good tho! Redecorating every few years is necessary! Need a bit of difference now and again.

Mama Cass said:
    June 4, 2017 at 4:05 PM

Bluuuuuueeee velvet. Purple is my color but Dodger blue is next. And I’m a st louis cardinals fan. I get sooo annoyed when people assign gender to inanimate objects (including colors)

Mama Cass said:
    June 4, 2017 at 4:24 PM

I think Cyndi lauper was in a band called blue angels

Kristin said:
    June 5, 2017 at 12:50 AM

I like blue but it isn’t my favorite. I love green. I use a lot of blue on my site because I avoid overusing colors I adore (like green) as I’m afraid I will get tired of it.

Like you, it took me a long time to swim because of being so blind. I got prescription goggles as a teen though and then contacts. Went on to get my scuba cert. Im an excellent swimmer now.

I had ilasik seven years ago btw. With vision over 20/800…best thing I ever did. My eyesight is failing again though 😡

Yes, that was a long and rambly reply. All to say that blue isn’t my favorite 😂

June 5, 2017 at 7:22 AM

Pretty cool on swimming. Even with contacts it bothers my eyes to be under water. I considered lasik but the astigmatism is so bad it wouldn’t take away glasses or contacts. Just reduce them. Do you need to have it again?

Kristin said:
        June 5, 2017 at 8:09 AM

My corneas are too thin to have it again. I went back in glasses last year. It’s nowhere near where I was though. So, I don’t regret having it done.

Judy said:
    June 5, 2017 at 11:31 AM

Feeling blue? Breathe. 😉

June 9, 2017 at 2:55 PM

Almost every man I’ve asked says his favorite color is blue!