TAG: Unpopular Opinions Book

Many thanks to Meltingpotsandothercalamities for tagging me for the “Unpopular Opinions Book” tag. If you haven’t yet checked out this blog, I encourage you to take a gander as it is full of content from both a reader and writer perspective. Great ideas and points of view.

book

A POPULAR BOOK OR BOOK SERIES THAT YOU DIDN’T LIKE:

“The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” by Douglas Adams. I haven’t read a lot of science-fiction or fantasy, but this didn’t do it for me. I laughed a few times, but it was too over-the-top in a way I couldn’t connect. I am enjoying more fantasy books, and I like Star Trek and Star Wars, but this one… nah… I’ll pass.

hitchihker.jpg

A POPULAR BOOK OR BOOK SERIES THAT EVERYONE ELSE SEEMS TO HATE BUT YOU LOVE:

The Philosopher’s Apprentice by James Morrow. I’m not actually all that into philosophy, but the story in the first and third sections of this book were fantastic. I had some issues with the second section of the book, and had to turn my head and squint to accept it. I’d say it’s absolutely worth a read, purely based on the story and depth of thought that you come away with.

apprentice

AN OTP (ONE TRUE PAIRING) THAT YOU DON’T LIKE:

Do Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey from “Fifty Shades” by E. L. James count? I love the concept of the story and its characters, but I just couldn’t buy her falling for him, nor him wanting her. They seemed too much of a mismatch. And when I saw the movie, I felt it coming off the screen too. Maybe it’s just me!

fifty

A POPULAR BOOK GENRE THAT YOU HARDLY REACH FOR:

Romance. I’m not really keen on reading all about romance. I don’t mind it being a background sub-plot, but if it’s the primary driver for the story, I’d probably pass! For example, I love Outlander, as I classify it historical fiction with some romance or love angles to it.

anceromance.jpg

A POPULAR/BELOVED CHARACTER THAT YOU DO NOT LIKE:

Elizabeth Bennet in Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I didn’t hate her, but I didn’t care much for her… and I was an English literature major who loves classic literature. I try putting myself in her place at that time, but I’m still just not very fond of her approach, style and persona. I much prefer other stronger female characters with vehement conviction who lead their novels.

prideprej.jpg

A POPULAR AUTHOR THAT YOU CAN’T SEEM TO GET INTO:

Neil Gaiman. I’ve only read Neverwhere, but I struggled with the way the book was written, the characters and the plot. It’s been a few years since I read it, and I want to try his other things, but I feel like he just may not mesh with what I like in my reads.

A POPULAR BOOK TROPE (OVERUSED PLOT DEVICE) THAT YOU’RE TIRED OF SEEING:

The dead person is not really dead. If done well, then it’s great. Most of the time, it’s not… introduced purely for the shock value, as opposed to it being the best solution for the crime and victim.

dead.jpg

A POPULAR SERIES THAT YOU HAVE NO INTEREST IN READING:

Mario Puzo’s “The Godfather”. I haven’t even seen the movies. It seems too overdone and over the top for me… that many books about the mafia? Too much. One book is enough, or one supporting story-line seems sufficient. But that’s just me!

godfather

THE SAYING GOES “THE BOOK IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN THE MOVIE”, BUT WHAT MOVIE OR TV SHOW ADAPTATION DO YOU PREFER MORE THAN THE BOOK?:

“The Hannibal Lecter” series by Thomas Harris. I loved the movies and only read parts of the books. They’re good, but the actors in the movie just push it up a few notches, such that I can watch those movies anytime.

ilece.jpg

I Tag:

About Me

I’m Jay and I live in NYC. By profession, I work in technology. By passion, I work in writing. Once you hit my site “ThisIsMyTruthNow” at https://thisismytruthnow.com, you can join the fun and see my blog and various site content. You’ll find book reviews, published and in-progress fiction, TV/Film reviews, favorite vacation spots and my own version of the “365 Daily Challenge.” Since March 13, 2017, I’ve posted a characteristic either I currently embody or one I’d like to embody in the future. 365 days of reflection to discover who I am and what I want out of life… see how you compare! Each month, I will post a summary of a trip I’ve taken somewhere in the world. I’ll cover the transportation, hotel, restaurants, activities, who, what, when, where and why… and let you decide for yourself if it’s a trip worth taking.

Feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Tell me what you think.

50 thoughts on “TAG: Unpopular Opinions Book

Patricia said:
    June 4, 2017 at 5:42 PM

Totally Agree on all! Fifty Shades was just awkward 😊

Felicia Denise said:
    June 4, 2017 at 5:54 PM

I’m with you on Fifty Shades. For me it was like watching a truckload of oil broadside into a train full of water. Passed on the movie. No… just no.

June 4, 2017 at 6:09 PM

I agree with the character who died but isn’t really dead. It’s so overused and most authors just don’t write it in a way that it’s not completely predictable

Kristin said:
    June 4, 2017 at 6:10 PM

My thoughts on Fifty Shades. If I’m going to read smut. I’d like for it to be well written smut. Something so adult—for lack of a better term—shouldn’t be written on a fourth grade writing level.

Norin said:
    June 4, 2017 at 6:31 PM

Didn’t know that you’ve read Fifty Shades… lol And I’m with you; I just can’t understand how in the world Christian Grey can be attracted toward Anna… I thought she was really, annoyingly immature and needy lol

June 4, 2017 at 6:33 PM

Yes! I read about half the book and couldn’t take it. I never reviewed it tho. Then watched the movie.

Norin said:
        June 4, 2017 at 6:37 PM

Which means you DNFd it? I did, but I couldn’t bring myself to put a post here XD

June 4, 2017 at 6:38 PM

Yes. I did! But I still consider giving it another chance some day… just not anytime soon. Lol

Lost Purple Quill said:
    June 4, 2017 at 7:08 PM

Totally agree about the ‘dead person that’s not really dead.’ It happens so often and really can take away the emotional value of the character’s death. It feels cheap a lot of the time, like I got all worked up for nothing.

Lana (Sleepless in wherever) said:
    June 4, 2017 at 7:18 PM

I agree on Fifty Shades the movie, book – there was definitely more chemistry there. Dead people not being dead is just assumed anyway at this point, no?

Jo-Ann said:
    June 4, 2017 at 8:56 PM

This is a great tag…Thank you for nominating me! Yay! As I was reading your answers, I was thinking, yep I agree to most of them. I need to put my thinking cap on and get some different answers, though! Shake things up a little 🙂 I’ll work on this one tomorrow.

Lauren @ Always Me said:
    June 4, 2017 at 9:47 PM

I like the Godfather movies, but honestly I have no real interest in reading the books either.

June 5, 2017 at 7:16 AM

It almost feels like “what can you really do with the whole theme” but I know folks love the movies. Maybe I’m missing something?

rachel said:
    June 4, 2017 at 10:34 PM

I’m the same with Neil Gaiman! I’ve only read The Ocean at the End of the Lane and half of Neverwhere, but that was more than enough for me. Something about his style just does not work for me.

shalini said:
    June 5, 2017 at 7:06 AM

You have tagged me to do this post.. Is it a time based challenge??

June 5, 2017 at 7:21 AM

Nope! Whenever you can get to it. :). And you can also skip it too.

shalini said:
        June 5, 2017 at 7:30 AM

That’s cool then.. Thanks

shalini said:
        June 5, 2017 at 7:37 AM

I still get gibberish words when I click on poll link.

June 5, 2017 at 7:40 AM

If you’re clicking on the link that says “https://polldaddy.com/js/rating/rating.js” that’s from WP, not from me… I don’t think it’s meant to be clicked on.

shalini said:
        June 5, 2017 at 7:42 AM

Oh ok…

June 5, 2017 at 7:42 AM

I think that’s what it must be as I didn’t anything on this one. Very odd.

shalini said:
        June 5, 2017 at 7:51 AM

It comes as polldaddy.com/js/rating/rating.js in blue. Your blue topic is continued in the link too

June 5, 2017 at 10:53 AM

I know I have an unpopular opinion on this but I loved Fifty Shades. I wasn’t to fond of the movie (not for the same reasons as you) but the books in my opinion were great.

June 5, 2017 at 10:55 AM

It’s good to have unpopular opinions. I wanted to like it… just something about the voice / style that didn’t jive well.

June 5, 2017 at 12:04 PM

Nice job, James! Thanks for the TAG as well. 😉

Unpopular Opinions Tag – Inspiration Pie said:
    June 5, 2017 at 12:30 PM

[…] at thisismytruthnow tagged me for the “Unpopular Opinions Book” tag 🙂 Thank you, Jay!  If you […]

Mama Cass said:
    June 5, 2017 at 5:21 PM

Completely agree with you about Hannibal. Sometimes when I’m giving a client a massage (it’s ok, I’m a professional) I hear ” it rubs the lotion on its skin”.

So Superman, what’s your kryptonite? When you hear Adele do you have to sing and dance along?

June 5, 2017 at 5:32 PM

Exactly! haha… good thing it’s professional!

Me? Kryptonite? So many things… I’m full of weakness. Desserts mostly. I’ll do anything for chocolate. And I only dance when I’ve had a couple of drinks. Otherwise I stand in the corner.

Mama Cass said:
        June 5, 2017 at 5:37 PM

Oh yes…always professional. No butt biting Phoebe here. You don’t dance in the kitchen when you’re alone?

June 5, 2017 at 5:37 PM

No. I probably sing in the shower. I might dance in the elevator if I’ve got a song stuck in my head. I’ll have to pay attention next time. 😛

Mama Cass said:
        June 5, 2017 at 5:38 PM

You funny

June 5, 2017 at 5:37 PM

haha… butt biting. now i’m laughing.

Mama Cass said:
        June 5, 2017 at 5:46 PM

Grin. Great friends episode.

Jennifer Kelland Perry said:
    June 8, 2017 at 2:32 PM

I agree on several of these books. Good post!

Phantom Paper said:
    July 3, 2017 at 9:51 AM

Don’t know if they did it just for publicity but I heard that the two leads for Fifty Shades didn’t like each other.
    I didn’t fancy the whole series as a book or movie, either. Enjoyable post, btw!