365 Challenge: Day 85 – Inspirational

Inspirational: providing or creating the process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially something creative

inspire

After 80+ days of blogging in the 365 Daily Challenge posts, I’ve turned to an online list of personality traits as the source to pick the word of the day, at least whenever it’s not a Sunday (pre-determined lists) or “inspiration occurring” as I sit down to write. Today there was no inspiration, so I went to the list and the first word I saw… ironically… was inspirational — I promise you… I have a scrolling issue on my screen, so when I opened the page and scrolled down to get to the letter A, it went to the letter I.

And there you have it… inspiration from Jay on this fine Monday and start of the week. When we think of examples of inspirational people, it’s usually the “self-help” gurus who have books, blogs, courses and TV spots. But I don’t usually buy into those things; it’s not that I don’t believe in the person or their words. It’s that I have a different view of the inspirational: “lead by example.” I am not the type of person to tell someone else how to search for happiness or how to find your nirvana. It’s too subjective. I’m not a psychologist. I’m not really in the business of giving out advice on things that I’m not an expert on. And as you probably guessed, I’m not an expert on anything.

That said, these 365 posts often make recommendations or provide some level of direction and suggestion on things to consider. I’m more about saying what’s on my mind and letting listeners or readers choose to find something of value, laugh or ignore me. BOOM! I can take it… go ahead and ignore me. 🙂

To be inspirational, you need to have great courage, strength, conviction, passion and experience. To provide inspiring thoughts and actions, you need to have accomplished tremendous goals and objectives. Not only do you have to show why you are the person to lead someone to their answers, but you also have to practice what you preach every minute of every day. Once you are safely wandering that road, you are in a position to inspire others to do the same thing. I don’t feel that’s me, nor do I have a desire to walk that path. I much prefer, as I noted above, to lead by example and if someone finds something of value in who I am or what I do, I’m happy to share.

To lead by example means truly just living your life in the way you believe it is best lived. For me, it’s knowing my place in the world. I’m happy and content to have a fair balance of friends and family, a career and hobbies, social and quiet time… to commit to providing good content in my daily 365 posts that is focused on things prevalent in my mind or my day — and not worrying about whether someone reads them or comments… to connect with others from different countries, different walks of life, different personalities and different ages. My 365 goal has always been to help myself; I’m completely being selfish here. But at the same time, it’s enabling so much more to happen than I expected.

Through various people I’ve met online, I find inspiration in a mother who is raising children under difficult conditions, a professor who is teaching students, non-Americans sharing their culture with me, teenagers showing me what it’s like to grow up with so much technology at our finger tips, and people sharing beautiful pictures and experiences. I’m gaining confidence as a writer. I’m learning how to accept differences in other people. I’m speaking my mind more, thanks to the boundaries of sitting behind the InterWeb wall (not that I’m saying anything too controversial). I’m challenging myself to open up about many personal things. I’m finding a voice that maybe is a little bit humorous, despite always thinking I’m not a very funny guy.

And so… picking inspirational as today’s word is a two-way street for me. I find all of you inspirational because I truly get something new and different from each relationship. Sometimes it’s just a connection where someone says “I agree” or “Thanks,” and other times, I’m building online friendships that could grow into offline friendships in the future. At the end of this week, the 365 Daily Challenge will be 25% complete — and that feels a bit inspirational too… for someone who isn’t much of a talker… {Aside: Seriously, if you saw me with my friends, I’m often referred to as the silent mute. I listen much more than I talk. I blend into the walls during conversations.} I’ve certainly had a lot to say on ThisIsMyTruthNow.

Hence… inspirational to me isn’t about finding a guru to help identify the path for your life. It’s about learning a little bit from everyone in your life, interpreting words and emotions within your own mindset and sharing it through being who you are and demonstrating the way in which you think things should be. Inspirational can be spiritual and religious, but it doesn’t have to be. It can be admiration for something or something you feel is a guidepost for your own future as a general approach to life. The impact could be momentary or life-altering, but in the end, there is valuable insight.

As I march toward my conclusion here… the biggest thing that comes to mind is that I don’t have any one individual in particular who inspires me — on a grandiose level, I mean. I’m inspired by little things across many people, as they help me compile ways to consider in how I want to live or who I want to be. There are certainly people who do inspiring things and are considered the archetype of inspiration, and that’s important. But for regular folks like myself, and probably many of you (no offense intended), when I need to be inspired, I want it to come from someone tangible and reachable. I want to see someone I know or often communicate with reach his/her goal, share a rewarding experience or find a welcoming path. It’s not about famous idols. It’s about real and familiar, where I can place my trust and experience it myself.

How about you? What inspires you? Who inspires you? How do you inspire others?

Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators.

38 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 85 – Inspirational

Patty said:
    June 5, 2017 at 11:58 AM

Loving your penguin!

#mondaymotivation – Trending on Twitter said:
    June 5, 2017 at 12:09 PM

[…] NY22: DraftHeath.com #resist – Heath Phillips, New York, USA 365 Challenge: Day 85 – Inspirational thisismytruthnow.com/2017/06/05/365… via @jamescudney4 #MondayMotivation #RandomThoughts #Inspirational #Inspire – James John Cudney IV, […]

N. N. Light said:
    June 5, 2017 at 12:14 PM

Inspiration is an interesting concept because, for me, I find inspiration everywhere. I find it as I’m looking out my window, watching two squirrels and a blue jay fight over dropped peanuts on the ground. I find inspiration as I’m going for my morning walk. I find immense inspiration via blogs and social media. I find inspiration in the news and by interacting with people. I learned a long time ago that inspiration, like all good things, is found all around you.

As for being inspirational, I have a blog where I send out a positive/motivational.inspiration thought every day. Most of the time, I share a quote and a short message. It’s not particularly profound or anything but it’s my little corner of the world where people can be inspired to go out and make a difference. I’m not an expert or anything; I’m a writer sharing my thoughts on the world around me.

I LOVED your penguin graphic, Jay! 😉

MRS N

June 5, 2017 at 1:39 PM

Ah MRS N!!! I’m so glad you replied… as I thought of you and a few others (Inspiration Pie’s blog too!) when writing this one today. You make such great points. It is all around us. And it is the little things that keep it going. 🙂

fitnessgrad said:
    June 5, 2017 at 12:57 PM

Hey!
    I have chosen to nominate you for the Cramm award, you may choose to accept or decline this award, the following link will have the details: https://fitness9555.wordpress.com/2017/06/05/the-cramm-award/

Shay-lon

June 5, 2017 at 1:39 PM

Thank you so much! Just saw the post and will look at it more this afternoon. Thank you! 🙂

June 5, 2017 at 1:13 PM

Beautifully written! 💚

June 5, 2017 at 1:22 PM

Dat penguin! 😀
    James, you truly are a huge inspiration in this blogging world. I can attest to being plenty inspired by your works (all the tags I’ve done and still plan to do) plus I look forward to your posts each day because you always have something thoughtful to say! Looking forward to the next 75% of 365!

June 5, 2017 at 1:41 PM

Oh, Nel! Thank you. That really does mean a lot. I appreciate it. I hope I can think of another 280 unique topics! And that penguin was so cute. I had to post him.

June 5, 2017 at 1:44 PM

And speaking of inspiring… so are you… all your posts about looking out for animals being taken advantage of… more people need to pay attention to that stuff! 🙂

June 5, 2017 at 1:49 PM

Aww thanks. I guess we all have our ways of inspiring others like you said 😀

Jo-Ann said:
    June 5, 2017 at 2:28 PM

Beautifully written, Jay. You did such a great job of explaining everything I have wanted to say!

I was thinking I should have a post or a page or something to explain why I call my blog Inspiration Pie. It’s not exactly inspiring people, or giving advice or anything like that. But, like you, I felt like I needed to do it for myself. There are many things that inspire me (pieces of the pie) and I’m really trying to bring them all together. Share a piece of myself so to speak. Art, photos, writing. And reaching out to people. I love that!

I had lost my inspiration for a long time, and it’s good to have it back.

June 5, 2017 at 2:35 PM

Thanks, Jo-Ann. Yes, inspiration all over the place today. I’m glad you got it back! And I agree, definitely need to have the tenets of your blog as to why inspiration pie!

Kristin said:
    June 5, 2017 at 3:13 PM

Kindness inspires me. You’ll never know how much your kindness has meant to me in the last month. It doesn’t matter that I read outside your reading preferences. You have been kind. Which has made me realize the impact we can have on each other. I’ve been inspired to do better and be better and to be kind to other bloggers.

Thank you! 😊

June 5, 2017 at 3:16 PM

You are very welcome — and too sweet! I’m enjoying our dialogue… and we will find a book in common. I know it.

Kristin said:
        June 5, 2017 at 3:20 PM

Well, I do read “outside my genre” and into yours quite a bit. I just happen to be with a lot of publicity groups and street teams. I kind of keep collecting street teams… 😂 So, my reading is a bit more eclectic than my blog displays. So many books, so little time!

June 5, 2017 at 3:21 PM

um… eyes darting left and right… what’s a street team? (Psst.. I feel silly asking… like I should know!)

Kristin said:
        June 5, 2017 at 3:23 PM

It’s an author’s personal marketing team. They supply you with their new releases and you do reviews and influencer actions. Often with the ability to win swag and interact personally with the author.

June 5, 2017 at 3:24 PM

I need to find a way to do that. Thanks for educating this foolish one!

Kristin said:
        June 5, 2017 at 3:27 PM

Check on your favorite author’s websites. Many will have street team applications on their sites. Follow on Facebook or twitter as well as their publisher’s site as many times they’ll announce street team applications.

June 5, 2017 at 3:33 PM

I really need to make time for this. I’ve spent all free time writing up old reviews and playing around to get new books on NetGalley. I forgot my favorites! Thanks for the reminder and heads up.

Kristin said:
    June 5, 2017 at 3:15 PM

Err how much? Err, what your kindness has meant.

Tsk, truly, I need an edit button. My mind goes faster than my fingers type and it just ends up all 😳

June 5, 2017 at 3:17 PM

It’s totally the keyboard. Out to get you.

Kristin said:
        June 5, 2017 at 3:20 PM

It’s my mind out to get me. I lost my mind about four kids ago 🤣

June 5, 2017 at 3:22 PM

and you have 6?

Kristin said:
        June 5, 2017 at 3:23 PM

Yes, all girls. Oi, the drama!

June 5, 2017 at 3:25 PM

I can imagine. Wow!

Kristin said:
        June 5, 2017 at 3:33 PM

Ages 3-16, well she will be 16 this month. Thank God she’s not into dating yet. We have enough drama between siblings! My sister is 9 years older than me. I don’t remember bickering much with her!

June 5, 2017 at 3:35 PM

I don’t know how you do it. Maybe you forgot it because it was so bad? J/K… probably different now with the change in technology and culture and economy… maybe there’s more pressure now?

Kristin said:
        June 5, 2017 at 3:38 PM

She married when she was 17 so …I probably didn’t get the opportunity to live long enough with her to annoy her.

We are a very low-tech family. Limited tv/game times for them. But they still bicker. Just this morning my six year old kept saying her sister was looking at her funny and asking me to make her stop. It’s things like that!

June 5, 2017 at 3:40 PM

Hopefully it’s outgrown. And if not, payback can be quite painful in the future when she either has her own kids or is babysitting!

Kristin said:
        June 5, 2017 at 3:41 PM

I think it is just a conspiracy to make mom crazy 😂

AWARD: Cramm « this-is-my-truth-now said:
    June 5, 2017 at 5:28 PM

[…] Jo-Ann at Inspiration Pie […]

June 16, 2017 at 2:05 PM

What a well-written post! Definitely one of your best. Maybe “inspired”…???