TAG: Mid-Year Freakout Book

Picture1.png

Thanks to Steph @ LostPurpleQuill for tagging me! What a cool way to celebrate the middle of the year in our book challenges. I appreciate it. And to any readers on my blog, please go check out Steph’s blog. She posts regularly and has great things to say, also poetry, photography, and fantastic book reviews.

1 – THE BEST BOOK YOU’VE READ SO FAR IN 2017

You by Caroline Kepnes. It was a fantastic surprise with its different perspective, how it drew me in and the eerie sensation of rooting for the stalker. I must read the sequel this summer.

you.jpg

2 – YOUR FAVORITE SEQUEL THIS YEAR

It’s not a sequel, but the third book in a series that I love. I cannot wait until Ken Follett releases A Column of Fire, part of the “Pillars of the Earth” historical fiction series. I love the characters and the plot so much.

column.jpg

3 – A NEW RELEASE THAT YOU HAVEN’T READ BUT REALLY WANT TO

I want to read Paula Hawkins’ Into the Water, but the reviews are mixed. I put it on this summer’s Book Bucket list. If you’re not sure what that is, click to find out.

intowater.jpg

4 – MOST ANTICIPATED RELEASE FOR THE SECOND HALF OF THE YEAR

Dan Brown’s Origin. I would have picked Ken Follett’s book, but I already chose that above. Many folks don’t care for Brown, but I love this series. Can’t wait to see the complexity he brings in this plot.

origin

5 – YOUR BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT

Lisa See’s Peony in Love. I really thought the description on the book cover would be a beautiful tale with lots of emotional heartache and connection. For some reasons, I found myself uninterested in Peony’s plight and thought it was way over-written for what its goal was.

peony

6 – BIGGEST SURPRISE OF THE YEAR

Sally Hepworth’s The Mother’s Promise. I wasn’t sure I’d enjoy the book, given it hit a little too close to home with someone you love dying of cancer. But it was written in such an intricate way that I couldn’t put it down. I certainly felt a lot of emotion and really had a connection with several of the characters.

mothers promise.jpg

7 – FAVORITE NEW TO YOU OR DEBUT AUTHOR

Caroline Kepnes because of You. The style was fantastic. The way she draws you in, encourages you to love and root for the guy who’s a psycho stalking a woman. It took careful planning and I admire her skills as an author, especially with the point of view and perspective she chose to write it in.

8 – YOUR NEW FICTIONAL CRUSH

It would be scary if I chose Joe from You, given he’s a stalker. {But it is} So… from something I read this year… Patrick, the main character’s best friend, in Single Malt Murder, a new mystery series based in Scotland. He’s caring, loving and well-traveled.

singlemalt.jpg

9 – NEW FAVORITE CHARACTER

Lucy from Amanda Prowse’s The Idea of You. Lucy desperately wants a child, but it doesn’t seem to want to happen for her. She is courageous and strong, especially when her husband’s daughter from a previous marriage causes some trouble. Lucy has a few flaws, but in the end, she really steps up and does the right thing to make the best of the entire situation.

ideaofyou.jpg

10 – A BOOK THAT MADE YOU CRY

Gayle Forman’s If I Stay. The hospital scenes. The paradox of being alive yet being comatose. Having to learn what happens to the rest of your family. Making a choice of whether to let go or try to hold on. It grabs you by the throat and holds on for way too long. I couldn’t keep it in and had a few moments.

ifiistay.jpg

11 – A BOOK THAT MADE YOU HAPPY

Richard Jay Parker’s Be My Killer. This will probably come across the wrong way, but I loved the systematic tracking of all the people involved in this social media serial killer twisted thriller… simply to torture and kill them. I wasn’t happy because they were murdered, but I absolutely love horror and whodunits, so I was smiling the whole way thru, trying to figure out what was going on in this book. A Twitter killer. Sounds hilarious!

killer.jpg

12 – YOUR FAVORITE BOOK TO MOVIE ADAPTATION THAT YOU’VE SEEN THIS YEAR

Margaret Mitchell’s Gone With the Wind. I finally saw the whole movie and it was fantastic. I’d only seen a few scenes in the past. I know, crazy!

gonewindw.jpg

13 – FAVORITE BOOK POST YOU’VE PUBLISHED THIS YEAR

The Book Bucket List post where I list the 12 books I must read this year in case I die. You can see it here.

14 – THE MOST BEAUTIFUL BOOK YOU HAVE BOUGHT/RECEIVED THIS YEAR

Hmm… are we talking cover or story? I’m gonna go with story and say Kate Morton’s The Distant Hours. It is fascinating and has an incredibly beautiful but scary story inside its covers. I found it on the bookshelves in my apartment building’s library, quickly grabbing it to put on my TBR.

distant.jpg

15 – WHAT ARE SOME BOOKS THAT YOU NEED TO READ BY THE END OF THE YEAR

Ha! I could direct you to my book bucket list, or to some I listed above, but the two that come to mind that are must-reads for me in the near future:

Kate Mosse’s Citadel, as it’s the third and final in a historical fiction trilogy set in France. The story is amazing and is sure to have a fantastic conclusion.

citadel.jpg

Kate Morton’s The Lake House, as I love her writing… and this needs to find its way into my hands soon.

lake.jpg

I TAG:

And anyone else who’d like to participate…

About Me

I’m Jay and I live in NYC. By profession, I work in technology. By passion, I work in writing. Once you hit my site “ThisIsMyTruthNow” at https://thisismytruthnow.com, you can join the fun and see my blog and various site content. You’ll find book reviews, published and in-progress fiction, TV/Film reviews, favorite vacation spots and my own version of the “365 Daily Challenge.” Since March 13, 2017, I’ve posted a characteristic either I currently embody or one I’d like to embody in the future. 365 days of reflection to discover who I am and what I want out of life… see how you compare! Each month, I will post a summary of a trip I’ve taken somewhere in the world. I’ll cover the transportation, hotel, restaurants, activities, who, what, when, where and why… and let you decide for yourself if it’s a trip worth taking. Feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Tell me what you think.

31 thoughts on “TAG: Mid-Year Freakout Book

Lost Purple Quill said:
    June 8, 2017 at 4:18 PM

Great list!! If I Stay also made me cry when I read it a few years ago, and I remember being surprised because I didn’t think it would make me so emotional. That book definitely defied my expectations.

June 8, 2017 at 4:20 PM

Thanks!

Have you seen the movie? I haven’t yet.

Lost Purple Quill said:
        June 10, 2017 at 9:57 AM

I did see the movie! I don’t remember if I cried or not, but I liked it. I think the book was probably better though!

Kristin said:
    June 8, 2017 at 4:50 PM

Great answers Jay! I truly enjoyed Into the Water. I’m curious to see what you think about it!

June 8, 2017 at 5:00 PM

Thanks for tagging me! Another fun one I”m definitely looking forward to! I’ll have to browse back and see the books I’ve read this year. I’m also going to check out your book titles! Especially the ones that made you cry cause I’m a sucker for the emotional haha

June 8, 2017 at 5:01 PM

There were a few of those. I had 52 to choose from since January 1st and 5 had some sadness.

bookishluna said:
    June 8, 2017 at 6:03 PM

Great post, I enjoy Dan Brown as well. I always enjoyed his novels. I had no idea he was coming out with a new book though, thanks for that bit of information.

Elle said:
    June 8, 2017 at 7:31 PM

Nice choices! Though I haven’t read the book If I Stay, I cried from watching the movie at the hospital scenes.

abookwithoutend said:
    June 9, 2017 at 4:30 AM

Oh you live The Pillars of The Earth series too!! I love those books, really can’t wait for the third to be out. x

TAG: This-Is-My-Truth-Now said:
    June 9, 2017 at 4:42 AM

[…] tag was originally made by James @ this-is-my-truth-now and I was tagged by said creator. […]

June 9, 2017 at 1:27 PM

See my reply to being tagged this evening or early tonight at http://powerfulwomenreaders.wordpress.com This one looks like too much fun to pass on.

June 9, 2017 at 1:33 PM

I have a hard time believing you didn’t particularly like Peony. Maybe if you’d read Snowflower and the Secret Fan first, it would have made a difference.

June 9, 2017 at 1:35 PM

I still gave it a 3. I think of everything I read this year it was just the lowest met for my expectations. I would try another.

Jo-Ann said:
    June 9, 2017 at 2:53 PM

Nice choices, Jay! There’s a few there that I can’t wait to read, Into the Water and Origins. I read your review on You and I thought that looks awesome, too. Can’t remember if I commented on that post or not, but I meant to!

June 9, 2017 at 4:17 PM

I think you did. Great book! Thx.

Jo-Ann said:
        June 9, 2017 at 5:45 PM

I keep tabs open on my laptop on posts I plan to comment on but I sometimes get sidetracked. My focus and attention aren’t what they used to be!

June 9, 2017 at 5:45 PM

I do that too. Then I accidentally close he browsers and want to scream.

Jo-Ann said:
        June 9, 2017 at 5:48 PM

LOL! Or I have so many tabs open that my poor laptop is just a chug-chug-chugging along!

June 9, 2017 at 5:48 PM

Aw. Poor thing.

June 9, 2017 at 5:48 PM

The laptop that is!

Jo-Ann said:
        June 9, 2017 at 8:14 PM

I figured as much! Haha Have a good night 🙂

Kristin said:
    June 9, 2017 at 10:53 PM

This looks like fun!!! I need to do this along with the other tagged post! Hopefully tomorrow gives me blogging time!

[…] two wonderful people have done this tag! As soon as I saw that Jenn from Thrice Read and Jay from This Is My Truth Now, I had to do it. Even though it is not July 2, which is actually the middle of the year, I want to […]

June 14, 2017 at 6:22 AM

Great answers. Learned a few new books too. Thanks for sharing and mentioning me. I’m so glad you participated in this one!

[…] I love the idea behind this tag since it’s a fantastic way to look back on all the books I’ve read so far in 2017 and keep track of my book challenges!  If you’re already a reader of my blog, then Jay probably needs no introduction since he tags me in some really fun tags but if you are a new follower, then make sure you check out his blog! It’s a fabulous blog, and one of the first blogs that I read every day! He has a really great blog with lots of book reviews, his 365 Challenge, his own writing, and other fantastic content. Also, to see Jay’s answers to The Mid-Year Freak Out Tag, click here! […]

[…] and last night I finally answered The Mid-Year Freakout Book Tag that  Jay@ThisIsMyTruthNow tagged me in over a week ago! That was a very fun tag, and I really enjoyed doing it, so thank you […]