TAG: Soul Ripping Romance

Many thanks to Nel @ ReactionaryTales for this awesome new tag. Nel and I met a few months ago and chat every day through our blogs. She’s very funny, smart and knowledgeable about lots of cool things. Go check out her site.

The Guide:

• Thank the person who tagged you and create a pingback to the original author – Nel at Reactionary Tales.
  • Share at least 5 (but more are welcome) romances that tugged your heart strings. They can be from books, movies, TV shows, manga; anything you can think of! They can be examples of sad tears, angry tears, happy tears or a combination of all three.
  • Nominate 5 (or more) people to share their emotional traumas
  • (Note: Try not to spoil the story for your readers in case they would like to check out these romances on their own)

Brace yourselves:

When Nel tagged me… I thought… so many of the couple I longed to see together were in books that maybe weren’t huge in popularity. And while it’s a chance to promote something new for someone to read, it’s hard to capture it without reading it or seeing it. So… I’m taking the easier course and highlighting 5 couple whom I felt were magic.

• Matthew and Mary from Downton Abbey:  There were quite a few couple to choose from this show, and this is probably the most obvious of them. For me, they came close too many times, and the difference between their thoughts and actions nearly a century ago caused the pain and heartache throughout their days together. I loved their relationship, felt it had a power unlike most others… and when she said no to his proposal, I was so devastated but understood why. And then the last few episodes happened where they finally get together but not all is meant to be… that rips your soul when it’s permanently lost.

• Estella and Pip from Great Expectations: No pictures for this one as I’m talking straight out of the book. Pip is all of us at some point in our life. Caught between the love of someone who won’t return it and the parental figure who tries to teach you how to get through it. But the moments they have together, with the time period of this happening, and the echoes of the wedding that never happened generations before… you really want something to work out.

• Christine and The Phantom from The Phantom of the Opera: I may be in the minority here, but I wanted them to get together. I have a thing for someone who is dangerous and almost controlling you. Part of me thinks while it may be obsession at first, it would gradually reduce itself to the power of love. When she says goodbye to him, and he disappears… I cried.

• Claire and Jamie from Outlander: I have not seen the TV show nor read anything beyond the first book in this series. So it’s not like I’ve just jumped on a bandwagon. I also understand some people look at this relationship and feel she was taken advantage of and/or hurt. I didn’t interpret it that way. I saw two people destined to be together, who had a powerful connection… and sometimes it got a bit wild. I choose to believe that it was something they both wanted and felt and went after. And when she steps in and out of the past, my heart felt the pain of choosing between two things in your life.

• Molly and Sam from Ghost: I really enjoyed the movie and the relationship between these two characters. How can you not feel the pain of a love separated by death, when one comes back as a ghost to say goodbye to the other. A few cheesy moments, but when you step back, the entire package was presented in such a soul-crushing way… love like this one is strong and powerful.

I tag:

If you haven’t been tagged, feel free to participate and keep this chain going. Have a great day thinking about romance.

About Me

I’m Jay and I live in NYC. By profession, I work in technology. By passion, I work in writing. Once you hit my site “ThisIsMyTruthNow” at https://thisismytruthnow.com, you can join the fun and see my blog and various site content. You’ll find book reviews, published and in-progress fiction, TV/Film reviews, favorite vacation spots and my own version of the “365 Daily Challenge.” Since March 13, 2017, I’ve posted a characteristic either I currently embody or one I’d like to embody in the future. 365 days of reflection to discover who I am and what I want out of life… see how you compare!

43 thoughts on “TAG: Soul Ripping Romance

hsimone said:
    June 17, 2017 at 9:43 AM

Ooo…I like this tag! You’ve got some good soul ripping romances here. I’ll have to think about this one, but I’m excited to try it! Thank you for the tag! 😀

June 17, 2017 at 9:43 AM

Omg I forgot about ghost! I definitely cried on that one! See! I knew you’d have good ones!

N. N. Light said:
    June 17, 2017 at 9:46 AM

What a great tag! I love romance, have ever since I read my first Harlequin book when I was the tender age of 14. lol! Jay, interesting premise and loved your examples. The most intriguing out of your choices is the Phantom and Christine. Maybe she could love him and he’s get over his revenge. Or maybe that’s just my HEA soul. 😉

June 17, 2017 at 9:48 AM

Nel had a great idea when she built this tag! I also owe you an email back this weekend! 🙂

Phantom Part 2! Just reading how he cared for her… some see it as dangerous and obsession. But I blocked all that out. Probably not the best approach. LOL hahaha… I know you don’t do tags, but your perspective on this one would be good!

Lana (Sleepless in wherever) said:
    June 17, 2017 at 10:22 AM

The Phantom of the Opera is so great and I’m totally for that ship, I always cry when I watch it. The Ghost is another good one. Good answers, James.

June 17, 2017 at 10:33 AM

Great choices! Man, I’m gonna have so much fun with this one! 😉

Jo-Ann said:
    June 17, 2017 at 11:32 AM

Oooh! This looks like a fun tag! Thank you for tagging me!! You have some great answers here 🙂

therobinsnest2017 said:
    June 17, 2017 at 11:44 AM

Yep Ghost is a good one!

shalini said:
    June 17, 2017 at 12:14 PM

Thank god you didn’t tag me… Jay I would have been trembling for days… I cant think of any romance book or otherwise… Even my romance is the pits nowadays… Hehehe…
    Great work man, superb choices, never heard or read or saw any of them😉haha but this post was a classy one.. I cant ever imagine me doing romance tag hehe

June 17, 2017 at 12:49 PM

Ha! No need to tremble. But someone will tag you for it some day. So you better be prepared. Sorry your romance is in the pits. Maybe 2017 is just a bad year. Where’s 2018 already?

Thanks… what, never any of the 5? Seriously… you need to give 1 of the 5 a shot.

shalini said:
        June 17, 2017 at 1:30 PM

Never any of the 5..I did 1 tag and still feeling the after effects..
        Hold on I still have hopes for 2017…..
        I don’t think any of them have touched shores of india except downtown abbey

June 17, 2017 at 1:32 PM

so then you must read “Great Expectations.”

shalini said:
        June 17, 2017 at 1:33 PM

Oh man don’t make a tag with that title… U seem to have great expectations from me.. U guys are too brainy…

June 17, 2017 at 1:34 PM

you’re keeping up quite well

shalini said:
        June 17, 2017 at 1:36 PM

Ah-a what do you know…. I dreamt of tags last night…and my struggle to tag other people woke me up… Luckily the alarm was about to ring… So…
        U only think I am keeping up… I am probably keeping up pretenses… Nah too tired to pretend…

shalini said:
        June 17, 2017 at 1:32 PM

Maybe Molly and Sam in ghost I loved that years ago…

Maram @ shereadsatpastmidnight said:
    June 17, 2017 at 3:25 PM

Thanks for tagging me, James! It’s going to be tough to write down just 5 couples lol :p

June 17, 2017 at 6:01 PM

Oh I love Phantom of the Opera!!

Kristin said:
    June 18, 2017 at 1:06 AM

Love this tag! Will have fun with this one 🙂

Soul Ripping Romance Tag! – Inspiration Pie said:
    June 19, 2017 at 6:48 PM

[…] TAG: Soul Ripping Romance […]

Soul Ripping Romance Tag – Susanlovesbooks said:
    June 20, 2017 at 11:45 AM

[…] thanks to Jay at This is My Truth Now for this awesome new tag.  Jay is an amazing all round guy whose site always has great discussions […]

TAG: Soul Ripping Romance said:
    June 22, 2017 at 5:56 AM

[…] big thank you to James @ this-is-my-truth-now for tagging me on this awesome tag! I love visiting his blog; there’s always something new. […]

Soul Ripping Romance said:
    June 24, 2017 at 5:16 PM

[…] like to thank James from This is my Truth Now for tagging me in this! It has been awhile since he tagged me but I needed to think on things.  […]

TAG: Soul Ripping Romance | BrizzleLass Books said:
    July 18, 2017 at 12:01 PM

[…] thanks to Jay at This is My Truth Now for this tag, this is another one that it’s taken me forever to get to…I’m really […]

Mel Gutiér said:
    August 26, 2017 at 4:31 PM

The 365 day challenge sounds like fun. I’m giving it a go.

Great fun, your blog.

August 26, 2017 at 4:33 PM

Very cool, thanks for stopping by. Are you reading about it or actually doing one too?

Mel Gutiér said:
        August 26, 2017 at 4:35 PM

I just heard it from your blog. I’m going through a rebirth type stage.

About to publish my first novel and just trying to be the best I can be. So… 365 days sounds like a good idea. 😉

August 26, 2017 at 4:36 PM

Congrats. About to publish mine too. How cool. I know what you’re going thru!