TAG: Rapid Fire Books

Many thanks to ReadRantRock&Roll for posting this tag and encouraging me to give it a chance. You must check out Jenn’s site, as she has amazing content and is such a sweet person. Her blog has everything you need and want to know about life, food, health, books and fun. This one is the Rapid Fire Book Tag and it appears to have been originally made by GirlReading over Youtube, so be sure to stop by and check her out HERE.

fire

———————————————————————————————————————-

Question 1: E-Book or Physical Book?

I was always a physical book reader, but I’m learning to like e-readers. I download through Kindle Reader on my iPad and read in bed when my other half is sleeping. Less light than a book light, and I can easily switch back and forth to check Goodreads!

Question 2 : Paperback or Hardback?

No preference. I rarely get hardback books anymore, as I read new ones when they first come out by getting them through NetGalley or other ARCs; they’re e-reads most of the time. And when I buy older books, I go for the paperback because they are cheaper and I don’t really keep books anymore — unless it’s a high 4 or 5 rating. Can’t find a space for everything unfortunately. But I love seeing all the books!

Question 3 : Online or In-Store Book Shopping?

Both. I was always an in-store book shopper, devastated when they started closing up. I had a Barnes and Noble two blocks away, and we’d go every other weekend to peruse the shelves and buy a few books. It closed for a year’s worth of supposed renovations, and the nearest one is 20 blocks away. I love book stores, but that’s 30 minutes each way, which is a lot of time to lose. I started buying more online or getting books thru ARCs at that point. But if the brick and mortar tore opens up again, I’ll be back.

Question 4 : Trilogies or Series?

It doesn’t matter… I love serial fiction. Something about staying with the same characters and setting is fundamentally natural to me.

Question 5 : Heroes or Villains?

Villains all the way. I want the good guy or girl to win out, but ultimately, I love it when the villain wreaks havoc across the entire cast!

Question 6 : A book you want everyone to read?

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It’s about a book, so readers must love books if they are reading, right? The Holocaust is a tough subject, but this book has a fantastic balance with an ethereal quality to Liesl as she struggles to survive.

Question 7 : Recommend an underrated book?

I don’t know! I would have to comb through my Goodreads list of read books, but off the top of my head, I think more people need to read Kate Morton’s historical fiction and mystery books. It has everything from characters to plot to suspense to beautiful lyrics without getting too far off the deep end or caught up in scenery description.

Question 8 : The last book you finished?

No Turning Back by Tracy Buchanan. A mystery and suspense thriller about a woman who kills a teenager to protect her young infant. But how is it connected to The Ophelia Killer from twenty years ago? Come on, you know you wanna find out!

Question 9 :The Last Book(s) You Bought?

Hidden Bodies by Caroline Kepnes. It’s the follow-up to the first in the series, You, where a psycho stalks someone and then finds himself with an even bigger issue.

Question 10 : Weirdest Thing You’ve Used as a Bookmark?

A plastic bag. I was on a train and that’s all I had left from the Starbucks scone I purchased as a snack before heading out to Long Island to visit my parents.

Question 11 : Used Books: Yes or No?

Yes, I’m OK with used books. I often borrow from the library in my co-op building. We have about 30 shelves of nearly 1200 books… I’m always finding something to read when in between ARCs (which never happens anymore) or purchases.

Question 12 : Top Three Favorite Genres?

Mystery. Thriller & Suspense. Historical Fiction.

Question 13 : Borrow or Buy?

Buy. I tend to look for new books 90% of the time and then pick-up ones from other people or libraries about 10% of the time. It’s just a matter of time and what I want to read. ARCs come first. Then series I enjoy reading (so I have to buy the new book). And last, I search for new things or books on my TBR.

Question 14 : Characters or Plot?

Both, but plot edges out slightly. I can connect to a book with a great plot but bad characters; however, if the plot is boring, I won’t be happy.

Question 15 : Long or Short Books?

I think I prefer middle, can I say that? I like to read a lot, so shorter makes more sense. But I need depth in a story, so they tend to be longer. Oh… it hurts… Longer. Longer books if I had to choose. Please stop harassing me with these choices!

Question 16 : Long or Short Chapters?

Short chapters all the way. Helps keep focus and find break points for food, sleep and errands.

Question 17 : Name The First Three Books You Think Of…

You by Caroline Kepnes. Just bought the follow-up book.

The Mother’s Promise by Sally Hepworth. Sticks in my head.

Watch Me Disappear by Janelle Brown. Just read it last week.

Question 18 : Books That Makes You Laugh or Cry?

Cry. I like to laugh, but in a book, I want emotion.

Question 19 : Our World or Fictional Worlds?

I like both, but I enjoy reading historical fiction more than fantasy.

Question 20 : Audiobooks: Yes or No?

I have never tried one, but I want to… need to find a new book to try. Any recommendations based on what I like reading?

Question 21 : Do You Ever Judge a Book by its Cover?

Yes. If I don’t know the title, author or the cover doesn’t look good, I won’t usually read it without a strong recommendation.

Question 22 : Book to Movie or Book to TV Adaptations?

Since I like serial fiction, probably TV series adaption. It lasts longer.

Question 23 : A Movie or TV-Show You Preferred to its Book?

I’m not sure I preferred the movie adaption, but I thought Lord of the Rings was just as good in both formats.

Question 24 : Series or Standalone?

Series all the way! Couldn’t you tell from the previous answers?!?!   😛

I am not tagging anyone specifically as this is the kind of tag everyone should do. So please jump on this little bandwagon! I expect at least 5 people to go for it! 🙂

About Me

I’m Jay and I live in NYC. By profession, I work in technology. By passion, I work in writing. Once you hit my site “ThisIsMyTruthNow” at https://thisismytruthnow.com, you can join the fun and see my blog and various site content. You’ll find book reviews, published and in-progress fiction, TV/Film reviews, favorite vacation spots and my own version of the “365 Daily Challenge.” Since March 13, 2017, I’ve posted a characteristic either I currently embody or one I’d like to embody in the future. 365 days of reflection to discover who I am and what I want out of life… see how you compare!

47 thoughts on “TAG: Rapid Fire Books

hsimone said:
    June 20, 2017 at 9:34 AM

Cool answers! I also love series versus standalone books too, and don’t mind used books.

I might jump on this one once I get post the romance tag. Thanks for sharing!

Norin said:
    June 20, 2017 at 9:54 AM

So much fun to read! As for used books, are you particular about book conditions? Say, you don’t mind owning a book with a broken spine? I do mind, actually….

June 20, 2017 at 9:59 AM

Good caveat. If I want to keep the book, I will buy it new. If it’s just to read for a few days, it needs to be in good condition, but a little wear and tear won’t bug me too much. I do understand the broken spine issue.

Norin said:
        June 20, 2017 at 10:18 AM

Great feedback 🙂 Come to think of it, if I were to keep the book, I couldn’t stand breaking the spine because I want my books to last. But only for a few days… I probably wouldn’t mind it.

bmary8222 said:
    June 20, 2017 at 10:14 AM

Great post, it was really interesting reading the answers. Good way to get to know someone better.

Stephanie said:
    June 20, 2017 at 10:21 AM

Fun tag!! When I get some time, I’d like to do this one! I love series too unless they start to get redundant. Sometimes the author needs to know when to gracefully end it.

Books Teacup and Reviews said:
    June 20, 2017 at 10:25 AM

I won’t try Audiobooks. I like words in front of me. What if I want to go back to particular chapter or line? How will I bookmark/highlight that? Noting time in hr:min:sec? NOOOO!!!!!

June 20, 2017 at 10:27 AM

Ha! I can totally see you saying this aloud!

shalini said:
        June 20, 2017 at 12:15 PM

I listen to audiobooks. I make my kindle fire read to me when I am doing other work

June 20, 2017 at 12:17 PM

i gotta pick one

shalini said:
        June 20, 2017 at 12:37 PM

Kindle fire has text to speech software so it’s not an audiobooks but it does read out the story

June 20, 2017 at 12:39 PM

interesting. I am afraid if I listen to a book, I’ll get distracted doing something else. When I read, I sit in a corner and just focus.

shalini said:
        June 20, 2017 at 12:41 PM

I do the same when I read but jay in audio books, u have to really concentrate sometimes as it is a software no tones or emotions

June 20, 2017 at 12:43 PM

my friend is a narrator on audio books… i should ask him for some info too. i feel like it may change the tone… good point

shalini said:
        June 20, 2017 at 12:44 PM

Oh great then u have the inside info

shalini said:
    June 20, 2017 at 12:16 PM

Hi Jay.. Great post great answers…

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    June 20, 2017 at 2:52 PM

ooh I love the header you’ve used for this! Villains are awesome and I love the book thief!!

Jo-Ann said:
    June 20, 2017 at 2:56 PM

Wow…that’s a long one! Phew! I noticed you picked up the followup to You. I’m looking forward to reading your thoughts on that! I have yet to pick up a copy. Hope to soon though.:)
    I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award! I wanted to share the love. Here’s the post Versatile Blogger Award

June 20, 2017 at 3:05 PM

Thank You! Will look for it. 🙂

June 20, 2017 at 3:15 PM

When I went to read it, I found 5 more posts of yours in the last week I hadn’t seen. Apparently I can’t just use the Reader. I miss too much!

Jo-Ann said:
        June 20, 2017 at 4:33 PM

Try this, Jay…Unsubscribe from my site then resubscribe. I took the button down and started from scratch with a new one with fresh code. I suspect it may have been tied in with my old WP account. New followers seem to be seeing my posts in the reader,.

June 20, 2017 at 7:30 PM

Just did!

kpadickinson said:
    June 20, 2017 at 3:18 PM

Great tag! Thanks for liking my posts. (: Hopefully, my blog will be as awesome as yours someday!

June 20, 2017 at 3:48 PM

Thank you. I appreciate it. You are welcome. For some reason when I click on your profile I can’t see your site from there. Odd!

kpadickinson said:
        June 21, 2017 at 8:02 PM

Hmm. That is pretty odd. You’re welcome though!

June 20, 2017 at 6:11 PM

Wow! Nice job, James! Great answers! I’m so glad you did this tag. So fun! 😉

[…] thanks to this-is-my-truth-now for posting this tag and encouraging me to give it a chance. Please check out Jay’s blog, for he […]

N. N. Light said:
    June 22, 2017 at 10:05 AM
    Kristin said:
    June 25, 2017 at 6:58 PM

Ooooh looks fun! I’m learning to appreciate ebooks more as well. I read paperback during the day and on my iphone while the rest of the house sleeps 🙂