365 Challenge: Day 107 – Idle

Idle: without purpose or effect; pointless; avoiding work; lazy

idle

As an advanced warning, today’s post will be an exaggerated one to wake myself up. And it’s not about a car engine or someone patiently waiting for someone to arrive. It’s 100% about me, as I had a moment this morning where I realized I am absolutely, positively, certainly, and any other definitive word, being IDLE about something. You’ve probably read at least one post where I’ve talked about trying to figure out my next career, searching for a job or looking for an agent for the book I’ve written. And on the outskirts, I must seem pretty busy and prolific in all that I’m doing. Well… it seems I must confess that I’ve been lying to you, by way of lying to myself, by omission and tunnel vision, that is…

I claim to be smart. I pontificate about how focused I can be. I tell everyone how I’m determined to achieve my goals. Yeah, sure, that’s all true. But I’m not practicing what I preach, and I am starting to realize it more and more as each 365 Daily Challenge post is released. A few pieces of background information to set the stage… I actually am an extremely hardworking individual. I have an incredible passion for what I want to do. I usually achieve more than feasible in any given period of time. My former career and frequent promotions serve as evidence. The project plans I’ve kept to achieve so many goals clearly speak for themselves. That I wrote my 400 page novel in less than 2 months supports these statements. And the 500 book reviews I’ve written in the last year certainly show my stamina. But you know what? Somehow I got off-track in the last few months… and I became idle.

And here’s how I know why… for someone who claims to have needed a few months rest and re-focus so he could plan his future… for someone who wanted to make a giant leap into a new and different future… for someone who provides so many thoughts and advice to others in the 365 Daily Challenge, here are also some facts you deserve to know:

• I am not consistently sending out my query letters to potential agents.
    • How will it get published if I don’t do this?
  • I have not researched the Amazon self-publishing route.
    • How will I have a back-up plan if I don’t find a traditional publisher?
  • I have not truly started the second book.
    • How will I have more works to be published without putting myself on a writing schedule?
  • I have not joined any writer’s groups or developed stronger relationships with writers.
    • Who is going to push me and help provide guidance?
  • I haven’t connected with publishers and online sites to get my name out there.
    • How will people know of me as more than just a blogger and book reviewer?
  • I spend at least 6 hours a day sitting on my ass, reading other people’s posts and reviews on all the social media sites but don’t have any sort of regular plan or approach.
    • If I’m so inconsistent, how will people trust me?

So… since I always put myself out there… it was important for me to say these things aloud — to recognize them and be fair and honest. It’s all fixable. I strayed. I went off track. But if I want to pursue a different future, well then I better get off my ass and get back to what has made me so successful in the past. I’m wallowing in my self-pity and it ain’t a pretty sight. No… this isn’t a pity party… and I promise you, I don’t need anyone to tell me “it’s good you realized it now and can change it.”

I need everyone to hold me accountable… to push me for content, to partner on changes for the future… and to ask to see some sort of a plan within the next 7 days. Because if I want something… or if you want something… how is doing the same thing every day hoping it achieves a different outcome anything other than the definition of insanity?

______________________

That’s the line in my sand. This week I write my project plan. It’s always made things more clear and organized in the past. And next Monday, I will start the second half of 2017 with my formal plan in place to achieve my goals in publishing, writing and reviewing.

I will get back to being me!

Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators.

22 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 107 – Idle

June 27, 2017 at 10:06 AM

If you need help James, let me know. I’ll help you search and market yourself or whatever you need, just let me know! 🙂

therobinsnest2017 said:
    June 27, 2017 at 10:21 AM

Ouch! I’m right there with you! My plan was after I left a difficult very stressful job was to get a part-time job. I left the job and 7 months later no part time job, sit around all day doing nothing! Well let’s not say nothing – I eat, read social media, watch TV, eat, read social media, watch tv…..I have gained so much weight and become LAZY!! Ugh, like you – this insanity has got to stop! I need a my ass kicked!!

June 27, 2017 at 12:24 PM

At least we’re in good company together. I know how you feel. Sometimes you need the downtime and it helps to let it all calm itself to a point you can re-group and move forward.

My days are so light and easy, and I love that about them. At the same time, it’s been almost a year… and I’ve accomplished quite a bit, but I need to figure out the plan for the future.

As for you… you recognize it, which is good. Perhaps you need to come up with some ideas about what’s next. Lazy is good from time to time, but not as the only thing. I have to remind myself of that from time to time. So if you need that ass kicking, I will help! 🙂

therobinsnest2017 said:
        June 27, 2017 at 1:12 PM

Thanks! It’s good to know that somebody is willing to kick me in the ass! Hahaha i appreciate your words of encouragement and dierction.

Kiersten said:
    June 27, 2017 at 10:33 AM

Don’t beat yourself up over it. Even when you aren’t doing your absolute best, sometimes it’s the best you can do at that given time. I have to remind myself of this constantly. Dealing with some of the mental health issues I have can be exhausting and make it virtually impossible to stay motivated/on track. Nobody is going to be perfect all the time. The fact that you recognize that you have some room for improvement is a good thing. Don’t push yourself too hard. Just take it one step at a time and you’ll get it all figured out.

June 27, 2017 at 12:25 PM

Thank you, Kiersten. I need to hear both the good and the bad, the “it’s ok” and the “make the change” approaches. I do strive for perfection too often. I’m in that place of take a chance, but educate yourself first. I think being home so much and not around people as often, I’m not getting to bounce ideas off other people in conversations. Blogging helps, but that’s a few messages every so often. It’s progress tho. I think the good part today is that I know I need my plan. So I have the focus for a few days.

foodinbooks said:
    June 27, 2017 at 11:50 AM

Nothing and no one is perfect, nor are we meant to be. The fact that you keep going and challenging yourself means you’re human. Great post. And I love your video GIFs! Always entertaining.

June 27, 2017 at 12:26 PM

I’m glad I can entertain! 🙂 And thank you for the message. It does help to hear some of these ideas.

Nicole said:
    June 27, 2017 at 11:56 AM

If I let myself, I too easily become idle, too. I wish I had tips or tricks to prevent that, but sadly it seems it’s something different that works for me every time. Oh well – at least we can cheer each other on! It seems crazy, though, that we’re already half-way through the year!

June 27, 2017 at 12:27 PM

very true. and it’s about helping each other thru things, so I appreciate it! 50% gone already is scary, but that means 50% left to make amazing!

June 27, 2017 at 12:25 PM

Here’s what I would do. Pick one thing on your list of what you should be doing, and work on it for next two weeks….every day. After two weeks add the next step. You need to break the steps down. If you want to add to your procrastination, by a 90$ planner and fill in all the blanks……

Jo-Ann said:
    June 27, 2017 at 1:19 PM

I’m happy to hear your focussing on your writing more! That’s awesome 🙂 That’s my plan too, I think Camp Nano will help me with that.
    For the past number of weeks, on my list was ‘finish short story’. It just needs to be cleaned up and that is almost done. My plan was to take you up on your offer to read it, and see if its a worthwhile story. And I would look at your story in more depth too, because a was really enjoying was I was reading.
    Problem is, I get sucked into the rabbit hole of reading other blogs. Not a bad thing, I just spend too much of my day doing it. I need to get better at balancing my time.

June 27, 2017 at 1:21 PM

Absolutely. Whenever you are ready, I will have time. And no pressure on mine… when you have an hour or two of free time and want to dive into it, you can check out the website for the first two chapters. Then it’s when works best for you! 🙂

Jo-Ann said:
    June 27, 2017 at 7:27 PM

I’d love to have it finished before I get into Camp Nano on Saturday. I’ll let be in touch if I get it done 🙂

cwhiteweb said:
    June 28, 2017 at 7:59 AM

The first step is recognising the problem. Way to go James! You got this 🙂

July 2, 2017 at 6:27 AM

Sounds like you’ve got a plan in place and are ready for action!