365 Challenge: Day 108 – Early Riser

Early Riser: a person who gets up early in the morning

early riser.jpg

I concede that today’s word might actually be considered two separate words; however, it represents a concept that we are all familiar with and is something I have become as I grow older. So that’s why I feel it’s OK to use this in the 365 Daily Challenge. I believe there’s a ‘next’ button you can hit if you feel I’ve cheated today and can’t bring yourself to read this post. I can accept that and will see you tomorrow.

Early riser. Does that mean you are awake before the sun rises? Or does it mean you’re up by 7am? Does the time change based on work day or non-workday, during the week or weekend? Or are you consistent in that you get up at the same day all the time? For me, although it’s changed over the years, I’ve been in the same pattern for the last decade. I’m generally awake between 6:30 am and 7:00 am. I consider myself an early riser, although by many standards, that might be considered a bit late.

Ignoring sleepless nights or if you’ve gone to bed much later than usual. Forget those with babies or very young toddlers who haven’t adjusted to sleeping through the night. Strictly speaking on a normal day, where’s that line between rising early and rising at a normal time? I ask for a few reasons…

Alarms

• I rarely set an alarm clock anymore. If I had a very important meeting before 9am, I might set the alarm as a back-up. But for the most part, I don’t need one to ensure I’m awake and out of bed in the morning. My body has attuned to the time of day, the amount of sleep I get and the sunrise. It’s good because I don’t have to be jolted by some strange noise telling me to wake up. I’m also the first one awake in the morning, so I become the alarm clock for anyone else in the house. And I’m generally quiet when I do wake up the other half to get ready for work.
  • Do you use them? If so, is it your phone or an actual clock? What kind of noise does it make?

First Thing

• When I wake up, I usually reach for my mobile phone to check the time. I can often guess within a few minutes, but I like knowing the exact time. If it’s still on the early side, I’ll try to stay in bed and think about what needs to get done that day… try to ease into my schedule and objectives. If I happen to wake up on the later end of my normal window, I’ll get out of bed and start the mini-routine… bathroom, send the dog outside, switch on the coffee pot, put out Ryder’s pills, food and fresh water, and then begin scrolling through my phone to see if I’ve missed anything overnight. Takes about 10 to 15 minutes but then I’m on the couch with my coffee and laptop to begin the day.
  • Do you jump up out of bed? Do you head right for the shower? Check on other people in the house? Or find some quiet time for yourself before anyone else gets up?

Morning Person

• My head needs at least 15 minutes before I function properly in the morning. I can go thru that routine I mentioned above, but that’s about it. And then I can’t talk to anyone for about an hour. I need that hour to pull myself together, but then I’m good for the whole day. Not really a nap person. Naps just make me more tired or a bit cranky when I wake up, as that 1 hour period starts all over again. So I just run full steam ahead until the end of the day. I’d say I’m best between 10 am and 4 pm most days. And on vacations, it’s the same way. Just because I’m in a hotel and only in a city for a few days to a few weeks, and might not return again, doesn’t mean I have to maximize my time and throw off a perfectly good routine.
  • Are you bright-eyed and bushy-tailed when you wake up? Do you need some sort of jolt to push you through that first portion of the day?

So what am I really trying to say here?  I don’t like when I have a busy day ahead and I’m forced to write my 365 Daily Challenge post this early. My mind’s not quite awake. But I have a project plan to draft starting at 10am, and I need to head to the gym first, so unless I get this done now and head to the gym within the next 2 minutes, I’ll be behind. Tell me something fun about your morning routine!

Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators.

50 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 108 – Early Riser

June 28, 2017 at 8:32 AM

Up with the chickens!!

June 28, 2017 at 8:41 AM

I use my phone as an alarm even though my cats are very good at waking me up before it. My husband has to be at work at 4am and I’m so used to it that I don’t hear him wake up and leave 85% of the time because he also uses his phone as an alarm. I wake up at 6am every day. Weekends is usually like 7 or 8. My body knows I can sleep in. My alarm tone is cello music because I love the cello but my routine involves hitting snooze at least 3 times before actually getting up. I hate the sun but my cat is cute when he’s staring me in the face. I’ve gotten really good at taking a shower, brushing my teeth, getting my lunch ready, and grabbing some breakfast in the span of half an hour before I’m in my car driving to work. I really like my bed, hahaha. (Long comment was not intended, promise!)

June 28, 2017 at 8:42 AM

but those make the best comments…. it all comes out! 🙂 that’s a lot to get done in 30 minutes, good for you.

June 28, 2017 at 9:07 AM

Yeah. Anything to get those extra minutes of sleep since I rarely sleep more than 6 hours a night anymore, haha

June 29, 2017 at 3:24 AM

My husbands phone alarm is cello too, lol! Wonder if it’s the same stock alarm…haha

June 29, 2017 at 5:06 AM

If its an LG then yes! I posted the tone to my Nexus because I liked it so much haha

Norin said:
    June 28, 2017 at 8:57 AM

I think I’m an early-riser. Believe it or not, I get up at like 4:30 am every day for the last couple of weeks. I tend to get sleepy and can’t get much reading at night, I switched to get up early instead so that I can knock out as many pages as I can. It’s been working well, actually. I also use my iPhone as an alarm clock and I can function right after I wake up. My morning routine goes: get out of my bed, turn on my laptop, check WordPress, do some reading, eat breakfast at around 6:30 and get ready and leave for work at 7:30 am.

Patty said:
    June 28, 2017 at 9:17 AM

Yeah my husband says I am not a morning person. I drag out of bed and don’t talk to anyone. I am better off awaking on my own with no alarm. lol But I don’t wake at 6 on my own so alarm clock for me. lol

[…] Jay […]

moorezart said:
    June 28, 2017 at 10:43 AM

Reblogged this on From 1 Blogger 2 Another.

moorezart said:
    June 28, 2017 at 10:45 AM

Oh so very, very good!

Never Not Reading said:
    June 28, 2017 at 11:04 AM

I am neither a morning person OR an early riser. Which is too bad since I usually have to get up at like, 5 AM for school when it isn’t summer.

I typically set my alarm for about ten minutes before I actually need to get up. (It’s old fashioned, it plays a CD, but the sound of it turning on wakes me up before the music even starts) That way I can press snooze. Then I usually hit snooze again, and often a third time. If I hit it a third time I usually forsake hair and makeup. Who am I really trying to impress anyway?

Once I’m up I am EXTREMELY grouchy and do not want to talk to anyone until I’ve eaten breakfast and enjoyed my solitary drive to work. But once I get there I’m chipper as can be, and nobody would know I’m not a morning person. In high school I won an award for being the most enthusiastic at 7 AM.

bookstalkerblog said:
    June 28, 2017 at 11:31 AM

I’m up but growling… something about the summer makes me want to sleep in- I think it’s because I don’t fall asleep until 1am, or it could be the thought of having to walk (as I do in the morning) in the crazy Florida humidity. It feels unnatural to be up before 7 to me, I’m just catching up on years of missed sleep from when my kids were young 🙂 that’s my excuse! great post!

June 28, 2017 at 2:31 PM

I’m an early person. I always set an alarm, but tend to wake up about five minutes before it goes off. I scan my emails/texts for anything important. I check the weather. I read for 10 minutes to ease into day. Then I get up and get started on the plan for the day.

Books Teacup and Reviews said:
    June 28, 2017 at 2:53 PM

I’m nigh person. I wake up at 8:30 that is also to cook lunch for me and my husband, he leaves for work at 10. Even if I slept at 4, I wake up at 8:30. So I cook almost in sleep and luckily the food is even better that day. 😁 I set up alarm and I wake up on my own most of the days.

bobosbookbank said:
    June 28, 2017 at 7:44 PM

BLAH! I loathe mornings and think it should be illegal to be awake before the sun!😬😁 Fun post!

June 28, 2017 at 7:45 PM

I like some devotional and “me” time at least half an hour before anyone else rises (including the cat, who usually doesn’t co operate). Then its pills, a protein snack, first cup of coffee, maybe some therapeutic clothes washing or cooking for lunch (which is our main meal of the day). We are “retired” but still teach part time, so when we are teaching we take an 8 o’clock class while we are fresh in the morning and are relaxing or working on the next day’s class or running errands by shortly after lunch around noon. We eat at “Senior Citizen hours,” breakfast at 6:00 a.m. or 6:30 ; lunch is served anywhere from as early as 11:30-12:00 ; then an early supper around 5:30. This is not to say there isn’t sometimes a snack in mid-morning and/or one in mid-afternoon. The secret is small portions. Since the alarm goes off at 6:00 a.m. (and I am usually up by 5 or 5:30) the next day, bedtime is at 9:00 p.m. for the wind-down and lights out at 9:30. Somehow, we get it all in and find/make time for reading and TV. Dull, but livable.

Kristin said:
    June 28, 2017 at 11:04 PM

My husband is a morning person. He’s up at 4:45 every morning so he can be to work at 6. He “sleeps in” on the weekend and by “sleep in” I mean he’s asleep til about 6.

I am not a morning person. At all. I finally fall asleep at 2-4 a.m. and I’m up around 8;30. 10 if I’m really lucky and don’t have to be anywhere (which is pretty much never)

Once I’m up, I go to the bath and I sit there in a daze until my teen knocks on the door and says, “Mom, I made you coffee.”

I am spaced out and won’t speak much until around noon when my second cup of coffee is being made.

Then I’m a complete mombie all day until around 6 pm when I wake up. When I get to about 10 pm, I’m wired and ready to tackle the house.

Talk about polar opposites…I’ve no idea how I married a morning person when I despise them.

Kristin said:
      June 28, 2017 at 11:06 PM

Oh! and to elaborate how much of a grump I am in the morning, I take Arie to her therapy session every Monday morning and the therapist says, “Good morning, how are you today?” and I growl, “It’s a Monday. Not enough coffee in the world.”

Then I sit there and read or I”d probably be glaring at the other parents and looking like a grouch :O

June 29, 2017 at 6:54 AM

That part I can understand! You’re not a grump, you’re just unready to deal with difficult people.

June 29, 2017 at 6:55 AM

At least you have a little support and someone brings you coffee! 🙂

June 29, 2017 at 3:19 AM

Great post, James! Like you, I don’t set an alarm unless I have an appointment or something really important just for safety. My body just always ‘normally’ wakes at 5am or earlier. It’s 3am now, lol. I really like to be up as the sun is just beginning to touch the horizon. The birds, cool fresh air, I love all if it, but it takes me time to get moving. I head straight for my keurig for a hot drink. I really think mornings are the most relaxing part of my day. ♡

June 29, 2017 at 6:54 AM

I’ve had my days of being awake or up between 3 and 5am, but it was due to work keeping me from sleeping… that’s early to just naturally wake up. Congrats, Very admirable.

Judy said:
    June 29, 2017 at 10:00 AM

I tend to wake with the sun, but I’m not averse to going back to sleep if I don’t have to rise and shine. My alarm clock is the radio. I love waking to music. I also need time to wake before having a conversation. Going for a walk generally gives me that needed quiet time, and it’s also too early for my body to figure out I’m exercising. 🙂

carhicks said:
    June 29, 2017 at 8:01 PM

I have always been an early riser, even when on vacation. I do not use an alarm clock and even when I set it when I was working, I always woke up before it went. I normally get right up when I wake up, let the dog out and make my coffee. Once i get on my computer to check email etc. the time flies by. then I eat breakfast.

June 29, 2017 at 8:09 PM

It does fly. Sometimes an hour has gone by and I realize I forgot to get more coffee.

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    June 29, 2017 at 8:28 PM

Yikes- I’m the complete opposite of a morning person!

ireadnovels said:
    July 2, 2017 at 1:04 PM

I’m not a morning person? I can’t do anything until I’ve had my mug of tea and my ready break. Don’t laugh. Yes I have ready break even in a heat wave and I’m not joking! Then after my ready break I switch on my iPad and visit every single blog site that has visited mine.

ireadnovels said:
    July 3, 2017 at 2:10 AM

Like your challenge post but im not brave enough like you to do a challenge of any kind.

foodequalitymovement said: