365 Challenge: Day 112 – NYC

NYC: New York City; a major metropolitan area in the state of New York and the country of the United States of America

nyc

Sunday posts, the end of each week, have become a theme on This-Is-My-Truth-Now, organized by groups of five (5). In the first set of five, we explored my primary ethnicity groups and nationalities. In the second set of five, we had the AtoZ Challenges for various favorite things in our lives. In the third set of five, we discovered all the colors (excluding black and white) that have an important meaning to me. And so… I’m continuing the trend of the seventh day, ending the week on Sunday, as a list (we know I love them) that provides more in depth knowledge about me. This is our fourth grouping, covering weeks #16 thru #20 of the 365 Daily Challenge, and the topics will be: the 5 Places I’ve lived!

Since everyone who reads my blog likely knows I live in New York City, as I’ve mentioned it a few times, it’s the most logical place to start. But what you may not know is that I’ve lived in two of the five boroughs over different periods in my life. But before we get into those details, a few interesting facts about New York City:

• When Europeans first appeared, the land was inhabited by the Algonquian Native Americans, specifically the Lenape tribes.
  • It was originally settled in the 1620s by the Dutch and referred to as New Amsterdam. By the 1660s, when the British seized control, King Charles gave the lands to his brother, the Duke of York… hence how it became known as New York City.
  • In the mid-1700s, it was a central port for incoming slaves and NYC had the largest number of households (~40%) with indentured servants and domestic slaves.
  • It was the first capital of the United States, when the nation was first formed, until it moved elsewhere around the year 1800.
  • If you include all 5 boroughs (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and Staten Island), it comes close to a population of 10 million people of 300 square miles in 2017.

New York City became my home for the first time in 2007 when I moved cross-country for the second time (more on that in coming Sunday posts) and did not want to live in the suburbs where I had grown up. I felt like Brooklyn would be the ideal spot for me at that time and remotely searched for an apartment to rent for when I’d move back that fall. Cobble Hill seemed to be the best mixture of urban and suburban, and I found a garden level apartment in a brownstone that I rented for two months from Halloween through New Years. I’d just adopted Ryder that Thanksgiving weekend, too, so his first home with me at 12 weeks was Brooklyn!

After the two-month lease was up, we found a more permanent apartment that we rented for one year in what was called Downtown Brooklyn, right on the border of an area in the gentrification process. I loved living in Brooklyn. I could buy drugs on one corner (no, I never did), but I had a trendy Whole Foods on the other corner. I had a 30-minute door-to-door subway commute into midtown Manhattan where I worked. There were tons of restaurants and bars, a hip and trendy vibe for my late twenties and a grown-up apartment as I began my thirties. It’s also where poor Ryder was kicked out of 3 doggy day care centers for his rowdy behavior. I was so mortified that I could have a child who would misbehave, as I was a quiet and shy kid who I don’t think ever cried or did anything bad. Punishment for something, I suppose… But like all good things, Brooklyn came to an end when I moved back to the suburbs for more space for a few years.

But I returned in 2012 when my job became life-consuming and the 90 minute commute each way was too much of a burden. I was up at 5:15 AM to be on a train and at work by 7:30 AM, then left about 7:30 PM each night, arriving at home with some take-out dinner around 9:15 PM. I had 8 hours to get everything else done, play with the dog, keep the house maintained and spend time with my other half.  That was not working!

I chose Hell’s Kitchen in Manhattan this time, a mere 20-minute walk or 6-minute subway ride as my new commute. I lived in two apartments during the first two years, but by 2014, it was time to buy my first NYC pad… we looked everywhere, but found our dream home (for the city) on the East Side where we now reside. I live among all the things I love… quiet neighbors, cul-de-sac street, older building with great charm and tall ceilings, a 700 sq. ft. outdoor terrace for Ryder to have a nice space to run around and chase birds and bugs. He brings me at least one of each nearly ever week. It’s better than the other animals he’d bring me when we lived in the suburbs. He is a little scrapper. But like The Jeffersons, I was moving on up to the East Side!

NYC means a lot of things to many people. Between Wall Street, Broadway and Harlem, the crowd is one of the the most eclectic and diverse in the world. I love that I can hear up to 800 different languages in my city, and that I meet at least ten people from different cultures on a quiet day… between crossing the street to pick up dry cleaning, get lunch, stop at the bank, walk Ryder or meet friends for dinner, I’m always sure to recognize a new ethnicity and remember why this can be the greatest city in the world.

But to me, NYC means something different. It’s the place I call home not because I want or choose to be here, but because I grew up nearby in the suburbs. I didn’t choose this place, it seems to have chosen me. One branch of my family tree moved from upstate New York into Manhattan as early as the 1830s, which means my family has considered NYC home for nearly 200 years. At least one member of every generation in my family has lived here, whether it was the Bronx or Brooklyn, Queens or Manhattan. Staten Island is the only borough we’ve never actually lived in, at least to my knowledge.

As I look to the future, NYC will be home for a little while longer, but not forever. I’m already beginning the search for where we will choose to move next. But no matter what happens or where I go, we will always come back here a few times a year to experience what it feels like to be home.

Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators.

33 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 112 – NYC

5171 Miles Book Blog said:
    July 2, 2017 at 4:26 PM

I love this post so much and I absolutely LOVE NYC!! I’ve lived in NJ for two years as an au pair (basically right off the GWB) and I visited the City nearly every weekend. I miss this city so freaking much and I can’t wait to go back one day. ❤ Thanks for sharing.
    Also, you chose the perfect day to start the "365 Challenge", March 13th is my birthday! 😉
    -Sabrina

July 2, 2017 at 4:27 PM

That’s a coincidence! Happy very belated birthday! Nyc is amazing. Everyone should be able to live here for a few months just to see all that life can offer. :). Where are you now?

5171 Miles Book Blog said:
        July 2, 2017 at 4:39 PM

Thank you. 😉
        I know!! NYC is amazing. Sometimes we only went there for a coffee or to just stroll through the streets before heading back to Jersey. 🙂
        I’m in Germany again. 🙂 The au pair program is for a maximum of 2 years only. I came back here in August 2014 so it has been almost 3 years since I’ve been in NYC or in the States in general. 😦 One day I’ll be back! 🙂

July 2, 2017 at 4:40 PM

Sounds like a cool program. My cousin travels as an English teacher around the world. My family is from Germany (150 years ago). I can’t wait to go visit it!

5171 Miles Book Blog said:
        July 3, 2017 at 3:16 PM

It really is! If I could I would do it all over again. 🙂
        Oh yay!! You definitely need to visit! Do you know where they are from exactly? Or region? 🙂

July 3, 2017 at 3:24 PM

Several parts. I know one is definitely Kaiserslautern in the Black Forest.

July 2, 2017 at 4:31 PM

Did you happen to see Daredevil while you were in Hell’s Kitchen? 😂 My first roommate in college is from Brooklyn and you already know about my other friend who lives a few blocks away from you. I’ve never been to New York in general except to pass through it to get to Canada. Hopefully someday!

Kawther (TheVillainLibrary) said:
    July 2, 2017 at 5:01 PM

Lovely post James ! I really admire your creativity and the originality of your content , always enjoyable to read . your post about NYC made me feel the need to go there (greetings from Algeria) ,and I must admit , you made the most fun book related Tags I ever read , keep up the great work !

July 2, 2017 at 5:09 PM

I appreciate it. I love chatting with new friends from all over the world, and since I’m not sure I’ll ever get there, it’s nice to at least talk with someone from a new place.

I do write and blog a lot! I’m trying to keep it to max of 2 or 3 a day now, especially with all the older book reviews being caught up. I appreciate all your feedback and am excited to see everything you bring to your blog.

July 2, 2017 at 6:01 PM

Ah….an east sider…..and assuming upper? If so, I won’t hold it against you….my daughter goes to high school up there….

July 2, 2017 at 6:11 PM

The change from 2005 to 2015 was incredible!

July 2, 2017 at 6:28 PM

I have never been to the United States let alone NYC, this post was really enticing to me! I know NYC is one of the most vibrant city in the world, but it is also nice to read you call NYC your home … it’s sweet 🙂

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    July 2, 2017 at 7:52 PM

Great post!! I’ve always wanted to go to NYC!

Bruce Ruadan said:
    July 3, 2017 at 2:47 AM

800 languages! Yikes. I can’t handle that. But NYC is a city that calls everyone, doesn’t it. I have a NYC of my own though. Tokyo. If only I had the money lol. Awesome writing!

July 3, 2017 at 8:31 AM

Thank you. Yes, I didn’t think it was that many, but I did a little research. Wow! I’ve not been to Japan yet.

Kiersten said:
    July 3, 2017 at 8:02 PM

I don’t think I could ever live there, but I do missing being able to wander around the city. I lived in New Jersey the first 18 years of my life and it was always so easy to hop on a train and go visit for a day. There are so many amazing restaurants there that I still haven’t tried.

Run Wright said:
    July 6, 2017 at 5:31 PM

I live in NYC too. I came here from Jamaica.
    I followed and I hope you’ll check out my blog too. I don’t post nearly as much as you do but I am consistent.

July 6, 2017 at 5:40 PM

Good to know there’s another blogger in NYC. Haha! I actually know a few now. I will definitely check out your site tonight.

July 6, 2017 at 7:02 PM

This was a wonderful post. Sorry it took me so long to get around to reading it. I’ve always saved the “best for last”, so I commented on other posts, intending to get back to this one. This one gave me insights into you, my blogging friend, and some really great insights into living in New York. Thanx!

July 6, 2017 at 7:24 PM

I like never having to say you’re sorry!!!! TY!!!!

[…] week was the city I currently live in (NYC), and so it makes sense that this week would be all about the city where I first lived — […]

ireadnovels said:
    August 2, 2017 at 2:24 AM

I loved my holiday in New York . We stayed a little away from the town centre to avoid any noise. I certainly recommend going.

August 2, 2017 at 7:22 AM

yes, don’t stay in the middle of times square unless you like a constant crowd party!!! 🙂

ireadnovels said:
    August 2, 2017 at 7:34 AM

Oh no we stayed well away from Times Square. We had to use unground Metro from our hotel to Times Square. Our hotel was lovely and quite. I’d stay in the same hotel again if we went back.

thegracetyle said:
    August 9, 2017 at 1:27 PM

Loved this post so much! I also reside in NYC and many times, I take that for granted. Many people would want to live where I live even for a day but often, I see myself focusing on the loud noises, the heavy traffic, and the people rushing all the time that I cannot truly appreciate the beautiful skyline at night, the pretty streets in my neighborhood, and the easily accessible grocery stores. This post reminded me to be more thankful for NYC ❤️. Thank you!

dawnwairimu said:
    September 25, 2017 at 9:20 PM

Long commutes are tough. I used to have a 2 hour commute from Staten island into the city. Phew!