365 Challenge: Day 113 – Growing

Growing: to undergo natural development by increasing in size and changing physically; progress to maturity; become larger or greater over a period of time; increase

grow

Yesterday was the official half-way mark for 2017, meaning we’ve completed 50% of the year and are in the “downward” slope towards the beginning of a new year.

“Already?” you say.

“Can’t be,” you doubt.

“Shut up!” you scream.

But it doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing… it’s an opportunity to continue growing forward, not growing older. Forget about age… think about what you are learning, discovering and enjoying as part of this year’s path… in this 365 Daily Challenge, I’ve had 112 days of growth. I unfortunately didn’t start on January 1st, which would have made this all that much more easier… Nevertheless, I’m learning a little bit about myself, about you and about my future. I’m growing. And every small increment is worth documenting.

Back on May 24th, my post, Gardener, displayed several photos of the newly planted flowers on my NYC apartment terrace. I promised pictures in a few weeks to show the changes. I was set to post them after one month had transpired, but it was raining most of that week and I couldn’t get clear photos. Then I forgot last week, so here we are now at about 5 weeks.  All the pictures below marked current were captured this morning around 9:00 AM.  I’ve showed some comparisons from when they were originally planted back in late May.

NEW FLOWER PHOTOS

IMG_1745

Added petunias to several of the flower boxes

IMG_1749

Purchased 4 new 7-foot tall Cyprus trees for in between each of the large flower boxes

IMG_1755

Moved the original 7 foot tall tall trees further down to the other end to create privacy

IMG_1751

Added in small herb garden

IMG_1752

More clear picture of the golden pot with brilliant greens and yellows

IMG_1759

Added a new Crepe Myrtle in the corner which is just starting to bloom

IMG_1760

We are always comparing ourselves and our growth to others. We say things that end up causing more harm than we realize…

“It’s too much.”

“It’s too little.”

“It’s not the same.”

“You’re better.”

“I’m behind.”

We need less comparisons and more focus on the continued aspects of our growth and movement towards the future. I’ve got 180+ days left in this year to marvel everyone with 365 Daily Challenges. I’ve got 6 months to build a stronger me. I’ve got 26 weeks to write the next book. I’ve got only 3 more months of this awfully hot summer… oh please bring the fall weather to me!!!

FIVE (5) WEEK GROWTH

Double Pot (Original), Single Photos (5+ Weeks Later)

Left (Hydrangea with no blooms, Wisteria top rung only)

Right ( Hydrangea with 28 blooms, Wisteria two rungs)

Left (May), Right (July)

Roses (Not a whole lot of change, but they all bloomed twice so far)

Pic with 2 pots — right one is the purple grouping

Pic with 1 purple grouping — 6 weeks later (grown significantly)

So whether we’re growing or producing blooms… whether our colors are coming out or our limbs are becoming sturdier… there is growth. And that’s where our focus should be… not worrying about if it’s good enough, but enjoying the continued evolution towards the future. Acknowledge the progress each step of the way and find the positive within your growth.

And if you don’t want to take just my word for it, check out this blog all about growing… Roda is an amazing spirit with fantastic content, advice and photos that make checking out her site a truly remarkable experience each day.

Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators.

33 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 113 – Growing

July 3, 2017 at 9:32 AM

I could sit here for hours! Just beautiful! You have a green thumb!!💚🌱

Janice Collins said:
    July 3, 2017 at 9:48 AM

That’s really beautiful garden.

therobinsnest2017 said:
    July 3, 2017 at 9:52 AM

So beautiful! What a wonderful place for morning coffee, glass of wine, relaxing, reflecting on either the beginning / end or both of the day.

Books Teacup and Reviews said:
    July 3, 2017 at 11:28 AM

Beautiful! I’m not much into gardening, but my mom is. She would love you garden. I will show her these pics whenever I visit her.

July 3, 2017 at 11:32 AM

When I had a house in the suburbs, I spent my entire weekend gardening. Now I try to keep it to under 20 minutes a day and a few hours each weekend. Phew! Thank you !:)

Jo-Ann said:
    July 3, 2017 at 2:55 PM

Jay, your garden is stunning! I love the cypress trees and the flowers with just a splash of colour. Thanks for sharing 🙂

July 3, 2017 at 4:44 PM

Looks so beautiful and soothing. Surrounded by so many beautiful flowers will definitely make me feel unwind. Happy 4th of July from Japan 🙂 (It’s already 4th of July here)

July 3, 2017 at 4:49 PM

Thank you very much. It is already the 4th by you! The garden is a very relaxing place inside a bustling city.

July 3, 2017 at 4:51 PM

I know! Can you see fireworks from your terrace? That will be so perfect if you can!!

July 3, 2017 at 5:05 PM

I hope so tomorrow. I am on the 12th floor but I reserved a spot on the room of the other build which is 19 stories. It’s on the east river which runs right on the other side of my building.

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
    July 3, 2017 at 6:55 PM

Wow! Gorgeous flowers. 🙂 And I like the privacy the cypress trees help bring. It looks like a nice relaxing oasis in a busy city. Enjoy the 4th tomorrow!

caterpillars2butterfliesblog said:
    July 3, 2017 at 7:40 PM

Love all the plants and beautiful flowers. This has definitely made me stop and look at my own growth as well … Thank you for the inspiration!!

Patty said:
    July 3, 2017 at 9:00 PM

Love it! So beautiful

[…] at. It will also be someone connected to the word of the day. Yesterday, I started with the post on Growing with […]

sharann said:
    July 4, 2017 at 9:20 AM

Amazing garden space! I’ve had a chaotic summer, so I’ve just let the native “weeds” take over: clovers, birdsfoot trefoil, daisies, and more. At least they’re pretty. 🙂

shalini said:
    July 5, 2017 at 8:30 PM

Beautiful garden Jay. You have a green thumb. Where do you get time to do so many things.. Impressive

July 6, 2017 at 7:23 PM

Oh, lovely, lovely. Pardon me for a moment while I clap my hands with glee at the lovely plants and their arrangement! Great job–on the post, on the gardening skills, on the “landscaping”.

Jo-Ann said:
    July 7, 2017 at 11:27 AM

Hi Jay! I’ve put a link to this post in my Daily Walk so others can enjoy it too 🙂
    Here’s the link: Daily Walk

Have a great weekend 🙂

[…] my 365 Daily Challenge where each day, I pick a fellow blogger who inspires me with sunshine… and Roda was the first one! so that’s where to find my nominations… and I’ve got the next 11 people picked […]