365 Challenge: Day 114 – Earthy

Earthy: resembling or suggestive of earth or soil

earthy.jpg

People have lived on the planet called Earth for millions of years. Billions if you count previous incarnations of plant and animal life. Many argue it was created during a cataclysmic explosion; others by the hands of a powerful god. No matter what you believe, it was one of the very first things to be discovered by humankind. Whether you slept on it as a baby, crawled on it as an infant, or played on it as a child, you must have fond memories of touching the soil, grass, waters and rocks that comprise what we call our land.

Our land. This land is our land. In America, those words are part of our our national canon of heritage songs. Many people attribute them the American Revolutionary War in the late 18th century, claiming our independence from another (won’t say who… too many friends from there… and part of me wants to live there); however, the song was actually composed and published in the 1940s by folk singer Woody Guthrie. Today’s 365 Daily Challenge honors our great founders and leaders as we celebrate Independence Day, our Fourth of July holiday. Rather than add another post about this great celebration, as so many of my friends and acquaintances are doing a fantastic job writing about it, I thought I’d take a different approach and cover something about our land… hence the word “earthy” as the challenge for today.

Have you ever taken a moment to simply think about the Earth’s land? We’ve studied it in science courses, learning about the different layers, crusts and cores. We’ve memorized different aspects of geography from mountains to lakes and plains. We’ve prepared timelines for historical conquering of one country by another. Many of us have planted flowers, trees and vegetables in the dirt. We’ve swam in the oceans. We’re turned its materials into abodes and clothing to keep warm.

Many of us have been privileged to purchase our own land. A small home in the suburbs. An apartment building in the city. A farm in the country. We gave someone else money and in exchange received the deed and title to a parcel of land that we could call our own. And each previous owner did the same thing. It all traces back to some king or queen, the Native Americans (or other country’s original inhabitants)… somewhere, thousands of years ago, a person staked claim on part of the Earth and used it as a means for bartering and paying for materials and goods. But have you ever thought about who first owned this land?

Along the way, it’s become important for so many people to say they own a piece of land. To have something they can call their own. To be able to do whatever they want with it without someone else stopping them. It’s a wonderful feeling to be able to stand on something you’ve worked hard for and to have those moments of pride and honor. If we were to trace it back as far as we can, who first owned it? When did the concept of individual parcel ownership become such a powerful aspect of life. The same house on Long Island where I grew up which sold for over $500K could be worth $100K in many other states. The value of money is the significant factor, but when you truly step away and think about it, it’s land. It’s just an earthy material, right?

Soil. Grass. Water. Rocks. While it makes tons of sense to me how this happened… and why it’s more valuable in one place than another… it makes no sense to me when there is so much of it to go around, to share among the billions of people on the planet. And we don’t always remember how important these little facts are. And so today, as we’re celebrating Independence Day in America, or just a normal Tuesday in any other country, maybe we should all take a moment to feel earthy for a few moments…

• To pick up a handful of soil and remark at it’s ability to turn itself into so many things
  • To touch something green — a plant, a shrub or a tree — and know it is the foundation of all of our food and air
  • To drink a glass of fresh and clean water, knowing that’s not the case everywhere around us
  • To admire close up or from a distance some great mountain range or small stone and realize they provide us protection from the other elements

This post could have been on Earth Day. It could have been on New Year’s Day. But I thought about it today. Earthy. Connected with our planet. Connected with our land. Ownership. Freedom. Power. All the struggles over the years to maintain it. Or seize it. Or protect it. And yet we don’t always take proper care of it.

No, I’m not going all hippy or environmentally protective or focused… remember, these are 5 to 10 minute reads and thoughts… just a reminder what we already have in our lives and all that we want in the future. And that maybe we should take 5 minutes every day to connect with nature around us — to feel earthy… as it will help ground us among a sea of rocky pastures… and ultimately grow towards the future we hope to achieve.

RECOMMENDED BLOGGER

• As part of the 365 Daily Challenge, on a go-forward basis, I am going to highlight a blogger at the end of each post. The blogger will be someone I’ve come to know well via WordPress and social media, who has a site everyone should take a look at. It will also be someone connected to the word of the day. Yesterday, I started with the post on Growing with Roda…
  • Today’s blogger to know is Nel @ Reactionary Tales. Nel has become a friend both on WordPress and daily texting, covering what’s going on in each other’s lives, advice for sullen days, happy moments on fun days… I’m grateful to have a new friend. Nel is connected with the word “earthy” for a few reasons. In the link with her name above, you will read a post about how she saved a few baby birds from nets which would have undoubtedly wounded them so they could no longer fly, becoming easy prey for other animals. She has a regular post on different animals that are in danger. And she provides wonderful ideas and content about all the things in nature around her. She’s someone to check out and follow just to find that way each day to connect with the positive around us. Go see what I mean!

friend.jpg

Join the fun and read a new post each day, or check out my book reviews, TV/Film reviews or favorite vacation spots. And feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators.

28 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 114 – Earthy

July 4, 2017 at 9:28 AM

I love Everything about this post!! And Nel is simply wonderful!! 💚Thank you for sharing your gift with the world daily! I so look forward to your posts! I hope you are sitting on your beautiful patio, enjoying the magic of today! Now give that sweet puppy a treat!!!💚

July 4, 2017 at 9:32 AM

Thank you so much, Roda! I appreciate it. Had a quick cup of coffee, but now I’m cleaning up inside while the other half is working on outside and watering the flowers. Ryder’s going a little bonkers trying to drink the water as it streams from the hose, barking up a storm. 🙂

July 4, 2017 at 9:35 AM

Ryder is an awesome name!!! Another treat for helping Daddy!

July 4, 2017 at 9:37 AM

By the way, do you mind if I reblog this post? Granted, I have never reblogged a post before and I have to figure out how, but I just love it!💚

July 4, 2017 at 9:41 AM

I don’t mind at all. You are always welcome to. Thank you! 🙂

July 4, 2017 at 9:30 AM

I love being Earthy, James. To me this is so important. It grounds you and is very peaceful. I think that sometimes we get too busy with life to notice all the wonder around us and it’s good to take the time to appreciate it. Lovely post. ❤ I hope you have a great 4th!

July 4, 2017 at 10:12 AM

Awww James. You are so amazing! Thank you for the shout out. I’ve been slacking on the blog the past couple of days (how often do you get a 4 day weekend?!?) But I have some awesome things planned for the rest of the week!
    I like your take on earthy. A lot of people don’t think about land in that capacity especially these days. It nice to point out how much we love and accept this land and try to keep it nice for future generations of people and animals.
    Really great post! I’ll be talking to you soon 😊

susandyer1962 said:
    July 4, 2017 at 10:55 AM

Awesome post! I love Nel and her bird saving ways!

Happy 4th Jay!!

July 4, 2017 at 11:13 AM

Reblogged this on Growing Self and commented:
    I am passionate about Mother Earth! When I read Jay’s “Earthy” post this morning, I had to share! It is beautifully written and a powerful tribute! Thank you Jay, for sharing your gifts daily!

Listicle Tag | meltingpotsandothercalamities said:
    July 4, 2017 at 1:00 PM

[…] Sarah Sophie Mandy James J. Cudney […]

Jo-Ann said:
    July 4, 2017 at 1:07 PM

Love this post Jay! Well said…all of it , and it certainly resonates with me. I love being out in the woods on my daily walks and camping (even if we’re not really roughing it! 🙂

I LOVE Roda’s blog and Nel’s too. I think it’s awesome that you are highlighting these beautiful people 🙂

July 4, 2017 at 1:14 PM

Thank you so much! I am thinking about planning a camping weekend. I haven’t done it since I was a child!

Stephanie said:
    July 4, 2017 at 4:30 PM

What a lovely post James! So well said about how important it is to be appreciative and at one with our wonderful earth and all it offers us. It’s truly amazing to just appreciate our land and not destroy it. It’s so important to hold on to it for the future…I want my grandkids and great grandkids to understand earthy…I loved this!!

July 4, 2017 at 4:31 PM

Thank you. I appreciate it. Just a few words and thoughts and then it came together. That’s a great sentiment. I hope it comes true for your future generations. 🙂

Stephanie said:
        July 4, 2017 at 4:38 PM

They are beautiful thoughts and words as always. I hope my dream comes true too…I can do my part to help the earth and hope.

[…] Black / This Is My Truth Now / A Taste For Books / MNBernard Books / Flavia The Bibliophile / Blame Chocolate / A […]

caterpillars2butterfliesblog said:
    July 5, 2017 at 10:16 PM

I’m just now getting a chance to catch up on reading g blogs… And now I understand, we were rather in tune with our topics yesterday. I’m not entirely certain what prompted my spin yesterday. . but it is wonderful to read other perspectives on the same broad topic!!! Love everything I read of yours! I wish you much success for the second half of the year!!

July 6, 2017 at 7:12 PM

Lovely post. Well written. Well done.

July 6, 2017 at 7:13 PM

Awww… thank you. Did you find the one where I highlighted you as my recommended blogger to check out?

July 6, 2017 at 7:37 PM

Saw it referred to in a comment I approved without reading the whole thing. I blush with humility and thanks.

declutteringmylifeweb said:
    July 16, 2017 at 2:16 AM

Creatures’ relations to soil/ground are rather tricky. Humans, by building fences and operating Land Registries, declare their official claims and properties. Meanwhile the same territory is spilt up between gangs in an informal way. Meanwhile, if you watch animals enter a new territory, they immediately mark it to sign their presence and dominance on that territory. Property of land is determined by so many layers.