365 Challenge: Day 120 – Rushed

Rushed: done or completed too hurriedly; hasty

ushed.jpg

During various parts of the last 24 hours, I found myself feeling rushed. A bit of anxiety creeping up beneath the surface. A fear of missing out on something shadowing my actions. A niggling at the back of my head reminding me of all the things patiently waiting for my attention. It seems my attention has too many seekers and not enough moments.

{Aside: Where’s Harry Potter when you need him? Someone’s gotta deal with this — not me!}

That certainly doesn’t seem fair, now does it? Oh, wait… nevermind… that’s just me being selfish and ignorant. I am looking at this all the wrong way. It means I must be doing something right if so many things, people or situations need or want my focus for a brief period of time. So I must be worth it, correct? Now that’s a better way of looking at it. Perhaps being rushed isn’t the right approach; it could be the exact opposite.

I think I need to share a little background…. I wrote my Sunday 365 Daily Challenge post on Saturday evening, as I knew I’d have a short amount of time available to me on Sunday morning to get it done. I was spending the day with my other half and some friends in Tarrytown, New York, where another friend was performing in the show Annie. For those that aren’t familiar with the area, Tarrytown in Westchester County is about 30 miles north of Midtown NYC — a 1 hour drive in normal traffic. We rented a car for the day, drove into the heart of the little township, had a fantastic brunch, took a tour of Kykuit, a Rockefeller estate with several mansions and gardens along the Hudson River. We then strolled through the town’s main streets, shopped a little, took a walk around a small area of the river and then had an early dinner before taking in the theatre performance. Met at 11am at the car and walked back in the apartment at 11pm. Twelve hours of absolute fun… check out my Instagram feed to see a few pictures from throughout the day’s adventures. And go see the show, it was adorable. Westchester Broadway Theatre.

The end result was about 24 hours where I wasn’t focusing on my phone nor all the notifications and posts from WordPress, Goodreads, etc. While all of these adventures were fantastic, there was this small sense of feeling rushed that lingered in the background whenever I had a moment to myself. While I rode in the car back to the city, I found myself a tad agitated flushed with that rushed feeling one has when trying to catch up on what had been missed in the last 24 hours. I went right to sleep last night and then had more events to attend today. Earlier this morning, I met a new friend for coffee for a few hours where we talked about life, blogging, writing, reading, family and NYC. I’m not going to say a whole lot more about who it was, but you know who you are! It felt great to talk with someone else in person, live, about all the things showing up on the blogs we share. There are more people like me! Or other people I’m like!

On the 30-minute walk home, which was my first moment in 24 hours where I could focus on what I needed to accomplish, I let the little anxiety monster do it’s linger-dance-poke-harass thing and then realized… don’t be stupid, Jay! How lucky are you to have all these things that want your attention? And how amazing is it that those notifications and comments will be there forever… so if you don’t actually get to them until tonight, that’s OK. During my coffee meeting today, our conversation revolved around priorities and figuring out how to put the right focus where it belongs. It helped start my mind and energy in the right place. So I let go of the anxiety about mid-walk home… worried less about what I might have missed and thought more about what I wanted to accomplish this afternoon. And within 2 hours after arriving home, I’d completed a short workout, returned a phone call, picked the location to meet a friend for dinner, worked out the landscaping plan for the weekend with the building’s rep so I could bring the materials into the apartment, paid some bills, read all the comments from the last 24 hours, replied to a few outstanding emails and text messages, had some lunch and was able to start my 365 Daily Challenge post.

What did I learn? Anxiety for the sake of anxiety is just plain ridiculous. You probably waste half the available time you had by worrying about what you’re missing. Put it to good use, forget feeling rushed, channel that energy into focusing on the best order to get things accomplished in the available time you have and just do it! So that’s what I’ve done. And now the post is nearly complete, leaving me a few hours before dinner to focus on fine-tuning that project plan I’ve talked about lately… putting me back on schedule tomorrow to start writing character bios for “Father Figure” again.

Doesn’t it seem fairly silly to have lost a few hours over the last day to this rushed anxiety? How about you? Do you catch yourself feeling rushed and not recognizing when you’re missing out on properly using that small amount of time you had available? Any tips or tricks to share? I’m usually pretty good at managing it, but when my time is re-purposed towards healthier things (actually seeing and talking to people instead of hiding behind an Internet wall), it was like I’d forgotten how to handle it all. Momentary. Just like the only bit of energy you should ever give away to that feeling of being rushed. Once it happens, kick its ass out the door and continue on your path. Don’t ever let it hold you back from true potential. {Aside: Is this an appropriate place for a mic drop?}

RECOMMENDED BLOGGER

• Today’s 365 Daily Challenge recommended blogger to know is Shalini @ BookReviewsByShalini. Ah, what can I say about this very genuine, caring and honest friend I’ve met online, who lives halfway across the world from me… Though her site is primarily for book reviews, she has many other posts which are always a delight and full of great wisdom and generosity. We met about 5 to 6 weeks ago and share a fond love of thrillers and suspense novels, but we are introducing one another to different types of literature. And she’s a doctor… I was honored to have a doctor choose to follow me and engage with fun wit, banter and depth. We enjoy chatting about so many life topics, and sometimes it’s a good 10 hours apart between replies given the time difference, but there’s always consistent strength and a wonderful connection in our dialogue. If we lived closer, I’m sure we’d be friends and hang out. For now, unless you happen to live near her, you’ll have to be content reading her blog as I do. Please take a look at some of her insightful commentary and brilliant book observations.

44 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 120 – Rushed

July 10, 2017 at 3:03 PM

I think you know I share that anxiety about trying to fit in a lot of things in a short period of time. Great post! Thought provoking as always! I’m going to try and take a page from your book- figuratively!

July 10, 2017 at 3:06 PM

Another one where I am so on the same page as you! I swear we must be twins separated at birth or something! 😂 I’ve actually turned all my notifications off because they caused me so much anxiety it was getting ridiculous. I couldn’t walk away from my phone for 10mins without hearing a beep and thinking “omg what has happened on the blog now, I must reply straight away” it was stupid. So now I have set times I check social media and my blog and others blogs. If I’m busy I miss them and not having the notifications really helps. But you are so right about feeling rushed and pressured esp where there isn’t any real reason for it!

July 10, 2017 at 3:13 PM

We might be… just an ocean apart. Notifications are just pure evil sometimes. But at least we can recognize it, step away, and find solutions to halt it a bit. I’m considering blocking out specific times I let myself read notifications…. might be a better approach! 🙂

Patty said:
      July 10, 2017 at 3:17 PM

I did the same thing. I am now just taking an hour and going through the reader once a day and doing it that way. I got so overwelmed I could not keep up.

July 10, 2017 at 3:22 PM

It’s definitely painful sometimes. The worst part if that WP has a limit on likes, and I always hit it. If I save all the posts to read during an hour, I exceed the limit and end up having to wait 1 hour until I’m allowed to like again. LOL

Patty said:
        July 10, 2017 at 3:43 PM

I know. Sometimes I just go in the post and like it that way or I close out and go back in and it works.

July 10, 2017 at 3:26 PM

It’s definitely less stressful not hearing that pinging at every inconvenient moment isn’t it? 😂

July 10, 2017 at 3:28 PM

yes. i had turned the sound and vibration off for all social media, but those red dots in the corner drove me nuts. Now I get the banner notifications so I can ignore them!

July 10, 2017 at 6:19 PM

Great idea! Those red dots are so intrusive! I’ve been known to yell at my phone because of them! It’s a little scary! 😂

Patty said:
        July 10, 2017 at 3:44 PM

You are so right! 🙂

melaniemolewriter said:
    July 10, 2017 at 3:26 PM

Oh my! My heart reaches out to you and anyone who is feeling like they have to do everything. What I do know is that you don’t have to do everything. If you don’t get to read posts or reply to them the world will still turn, and nobody will hold it against you. You deserve down time with you other half, as they do with you. Your friends will understand if you can’t answer each post on social media, and they will still continue to respect you no matter what you can or can’t do. Stay true to yourself and what you can do without the level of stress that isn’t comfortable. Bless you

July 10, 2017 at 3:28 PM

Excellent advice we all need to take. 🙂 The world will not end because you missed a few items… such a true understatement! Thank you for sharing this reminder.

July 10, 2017 at 4:09 PM

Reading your post and all the comments truly opened up my eyes; ever since I got to know a lot of other bloggers, I was torn between me wanting to read all their posts and me being rational and telling me it’s impossible and that I should prioritize what I need to do. I may have started taking the whole ‘blogging/interaction’ thing as sort of an obligation. Don’t get me wrong, I do seriously truly love chatting with other bloggers back and forth, but I may have let my blogging activities slowly dictate my life. Really thought-provoking and great advice. Thank you 🙂

July 10, 2017 at 4:42 PM

You are welcome. You’ve also made some good points here. Doing it all is impossible. So prioritize how much time we can give to blogging, then determine within that space, how much you can interact. Very logical.

July 10, 2017 at 4:51 PM

Thanks 🙂 The next question is, how much we can actually put that into practice though. It’s always easier said than done especially for me lol

July 10, 2017 at 4:55 PM

Buddy system. Make someone else accountable! lOl. Good question tho.

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
    July 10, 2017 at 4:31 PM

Such an important message. I’m one who will often let anxiety get to me. Not because I mean to or I want to be anxious, but I think of all that I need to accomplish and it just gets overwhelming. Yay you for being able to let it go this afternoon. 🙂

There are certain blogs (like yours) that I want to read everything and reply to everything, but I know somedays that just can’t happen. Either I’m busy at work and don’t get any online time to read and/or I’m too tired when I get home from work to catch up. It’s hard tho’ because it always feels like something’s missing from my day when I don’t get a chance to catch up on reading.

Turning off notifications does help. I get my WordPress notifications just as the symbol on the banner, but no sound/vibration. I don’t get any notifications for Facebook or Twitter so that helps keep me more sane. It’s such a delicate balance. Thanks for the reminder that it’s okay to feel out of balance as long as we don’t let it impact what we do and to just let it go and not let it overwhelm me.

July 10, 2017 at 4:48 PM

Thank you so much for including me. 🙂 I also reads yours all the time too. I tend to catch everyone I comment with as those are the people I’m really getting to know.

As for anxiety, you’ve been figuring out some great paths lately. I’m glad to share these moments with you.

For me, I think being able say all this aloud and share with others makes it so much more acceptable. It is easy to turn things off but to tell yourself it’s ok to miss something is hard. Yet, as you said, it is necessary. As is balance. Kudos on your input and feedback!

July 10, 2017 at 4:43 PM

Oh hey! I just had a ignoring WordPress over the weekend myself. And it was unintentional! Maybe it’s come with time but it has come really easy for me to ignore notifications. And it probably helps that different vibrations (it’s always on vibrate) mean different things. So if I hear a certain sequence I know it’s WordPress or Twitter (Facebook is permanently silenced unless I’m selling something in marketplace) versus a text message and decide if I want to see it or not. Plus, I utilize do not disturb mode from 10-6 each night. Sometimes you’re going to miss posts. That’s just life. Nobody will be upset though. We all have real lives so it’s a universal understanding when things get lax sometimes. 😊

July 10, 2017 at 4:44 PM

Excellent point. Proven in your weekend and in your response.

July 10, 2017 at 4:44 PM

Balance is definitely key! Role model you are!

July 10, 2017 at 4:46 PM

It’s come with practice that’s for sure. It also probably helps that I took a really long time to jump on the smartphone train (cause I was cheap) so by the time I joined the world with everyone else I didn’t have this huge appeal to want to be in it 24/7

kerrymckim said:
    July 10, 2017 at 7:41 PM

*Must go look on Instagram*

shalini said:
    July 10, 2017 at 8:27 PM

Aah, Jay, thank you so much for your kind words. You made me sound so fabulous. I am all kinds of anxious now for my forthcoming posts. I am going put it to good use and read your posts to get my inspiration 😉.
    On a serious note, I can not begin to tell you, how appreciated I feel. I had to read your words and think, am I really all that??. 😂

shalini said:
    July 10, 2017 at 8:39 PM

And all my social media are on silent. In fact I have separate phones for work and fun. So social media is on the fun fone, it’s in silent the whole time. When I am free, I see them. It’s difficult to connect to everyone on wp. Sometimes I shut off internet and forget everything.

karen blue said:
    July 10, 2017 at 9:10 PM

I just found your site. I am so intrigued by this challenge you have set for yourself. I am inspired to blog more about the stuff I have going on. Thank you!
    I feel that rushed feeling. I keep a notebook with me and find myself making lists and trying to tackle more and more everyday. It is almost too much. I am thinking that more walking, more time for myself is necessary so I don’t loose myself in doing.

July 10, 2017 at 9:22 PM

Welcome. So glad you did and thanks for the follow. I just tried to post a comment on your blog about 5 bad book habits. It kept saying error. Ut I saw the comment count go from 8 to 9. So not sure what happened. Basically said we are gonna get along splendidly based on your wit and humor. Hope it took!

Finding the right balance in your available time and goals is definitely key. Walking may give you the time to reflect on it and not get lost. I so understand.

Kristin said:
    July 10, 2017 at 10:06 PM

I do sometimes feel rushed. Especially when it’s a busy week with therapy, more therapy and specialist appointments. I rarely feel “rushed” online because I just don’t worry about it. I’ll get to it when I get to it!

Btw, took your advice and set up another blog 🙂

AnjaGe said:
    July 11, 2017 at 7:39 AM

Loving the chellange and how rich your posts are 🙂 Keep up!

July 14, 2017 at 10:20 AM

Did not get to this until today because I have been rushing around trying to keep up. LOL It is an excellent post and one I NEEDED to read today. TY

July 14, 2017 at 10:21 AM

Glad to be of service! 🙂 Hopefully your new syllabus was OK’d and your class is off to a fantastic start.

July 14, 2017 at 10:37 AM

If my new class gets any better, I won’t be able to stand it! Am getting very positive feedback so far from my boss and FROM THE KIDS. Evidently Freshmen are more open to giving compliments (and one high five!!!) on a good class session/class than juniors and seniors. WOW! The first week is done and I’m one happy camper. Thanks for caring.

July 14, 2017 at 10:51 AM

Excellent. I’m glad it’s turned around this time!