365 Challenge: Day 121 – Naked

Naked: not covered by any clothing, nude; devoid of concealment or disguise

naked

Around 3:15 this morning, a certain lovable little shiba inu took it upon himself to grow unsettled in the bed, circling three or four times, before roughly throwing his 20 lbs. of bulk against by thigh. Startled by said lovable little creature, I found myself awake and unable to quickly fall back asleep. Always one to use my time wisely (don’t even bring up yesterday’s post or I’ll have to hurt forgive you), I thought about the 365 Daily Challenge for today. The first word that popped into my head was ‘naked.’ And although I tried to think of a few other words, I kept returning to the word ‘naked,’ wondering how I might pull off such a post without it coming across as vulgar. And after 120 ‘365’ challenges, 500 book reviews and about a hundred other posts, you know by now, I’m not a vulgar person.

Ask yourself this question: Am I brave enough to walk into a room full of people, some of whom I know and some of whom I do not know, while I am completely naked?

{Aside: Jay, you have started to go off the deep end a little bit. I’m not sure I can support such a behavior if you continue down this path.}

I already know my answer is ‘yes,’ as it’s happened before. But I suppose it would only occur again under somewhat comfortable conditions. Let me try to redeem myself here…

Being naked physically means you are wearing no clothes. Every part of your body is exposed for others to see you in all your supposed glory; essentially, nothing is left to the imagination and you are unable to hide from the world. We’re born this way. Doctors and nurses often see us this way. Other people in a public fitness center or school locker room get a preview. Anyone you are intimate with experiences this side of you. So it’s not an unheard of situation, right?  OK, keep those thoughts on hold for a little bit longer. And no, I’m not advocating nudity nor am I a member of or interested in joining a nudist colony.

What about being naked emotionally… stripped down so there are no barriers between what you are thinking or feeling and the people in your life. Naked can also apply to the walls or shields that prevent us from being open and honest with others about what is going on inside our head. Under those conditions, I’m a fairly naked person. Over the course of the past 120 days, I’ve been naked to anyone who happens to read my 365 posts. I’ve covered a wide variety of topics where I’ve shown some silly and stupid decisions I’ve made, a few embarrassing moments, and a couple of personal desires or needs that might end up never being achieved. For me, I no longer feel a need to hide behind any walls that often function as a shelter or protection from pain, fear, disappointment and hurt. It doesn’t always work, and sometimes I hold back a little bit; however, for the most part, I feel free and open with what’s going on in my life, how I make my decisions and what I am hoping to accomplish. So I share it with you.

This method is definitely not for everyone. And I wouldn’t even recommend it without truly thinking about all the implications that could occur, up to and including how you handle difficult situations. But the one thing I’ve been learning in the last few months and over the last year of my life, is that it doesn’t matter what other people think of me or my life or my situation. If someone wants to laugh, ridicule, or berate me for something I’ve chosen to do, that’s their problem. Not mine. If I feel good about it, then that’s what counts. If I worry about what others will do or say, then perhaps I’m not quite comfortable enough with my own decision to proceed. And if that’s the case, it’s totally OK, as that just means you need more time to figure out the right time and place to move forward.

So if someone thinks I am wasting time by not going back to work more quickly… or people felt writing a blog was too self-indulgent… or searching for an agent was a useless activity… {no one is actually saying any of these things to me, btw} — it ends up being their problem and issue, and I can erase those opinions from my mind as long as I feel good about what it is I’m doing. So let’s flip back to the concept of not only being naked in front of others with your thoughts and feelings, but with your body. How is that any different and why am I bringing it up today?

Our bodies are no different than our emotions and ideas. It’s just another aspect of who we are — cells that create a physical shape and form versus cells that produce words and thoughts. For the most part, you can’t change your body without massive surgery or risk. If you’ve got wide hips, that’s what you were given. If you have a flat butt, oh well, that’s life. If your eyes are set too far apart, deal with it. If something is too big or too small, it is what it is. I am not being flippant about these issues, as I know very well how much they can cause pain and hurt, especially when you’ve been singled out by someone purely for the sake of their tasteless and childish need to laugh at something rather than at their own expense. And I’m not saying it’s time everyone just strip down and walk around naked. I’m simply saying if we can learn to love who we are as people for our personalities, we can learn to love our bodies. We can work on them as much as we need to for the sake of health and relaxation, but to obsess over any specific part or area that you truly cannot change will only hurt you more than you know.

And that’s why I’m not so worried about being naked anymore. As I age, and I realize what I do and don’t have control over, I am learning to just let things go as I do with decisions, missed opportunities and fears. I am short. I will never have that slender upper torso that stretches on forever, something I’ve always desired. And when I wore a tighter than usual grey polo yesterday, I almost took the shirt off because it didn’t land in the way I wanted it to land around my waist. It made me look stocky. Then I told myself no beach time this summer… you didn’t fix your body like you said you wanted to. But I can’t fix it. I’m short. It ain’t gonna happen the way I want it to… so I will go to the beach. And I will leave my shirt off. And I will be happy about it.

Being naked physically is just like being naked emotionally. Whether someone sees you make a mistake during a public speech or notices the fine lines and crow’s feet appearing on your face, they might still judge you — but that’s their problem, not yours. No, I’m not going to start parading around naked. Nor do I suggest you do either. Even if you are the world’s most attractive naked person. But I am suggesting we all learn to get comfortable with who we are and what we do and don’t have. And if someone wants to judge me for wide hips or a stocky torso or whatever it is I’m worried about that day, or making up that day… so be it… judge away. I’ll be busy making something of myself and staying happy.

Of everything I’ve said and believe, the most important thing in all of this — at least to me — is that I’m remembered for being authentic and genuine, unafraid to share anything and comfortable in my own skin enough to help others find their own happiness in these areas. In the end, whether I’m naked without clothes or naked without a barrier to my thoughts, I’m showing the world the real me is good enough to put it all out there. And what happens in someone else’s mind is their concern. Not mine.

Last point… today’s post was mostly theoretical in that I don’t feel judged, nothing has happened to make me feel bad about myself, nor am I worried about what other people are thinking and trying to convince myself it’ll be OK. I’m actually in a very strong place in this area, but I also want all my friends to be there, too. So that’s where this share came from. And oh yeah, aren’t you no longer afraid I was going to share a naked picture of myself in today’s 365 Daily Challenge? Phew… that would have been awkward for you. Cause it obviously wouldn’t have been for me based on what I’ve said, right?

RECOMMENDED BLOGGER

• Today’s 365 Daily Challenge recommended blogger to know is Noriko (AKA Norin) @ BookfiendSite because of my lovely little Ryder (shiba inu dog) keeping me awake last night… No, Noriko wasn’t texting me all night, but when I think of shiba inus, I think of her as she’s from Japan, which is where Ryder originally came from. Noriko and I probably met close to 2 months ago and now chat on both Goodreads and WordPress. She’s almost always online, able to chat and has a very charming approach to books and life. Noriko reads a lot and has been the #1 reviewer on Goodreads in Japan. She takes on all different genres and is reading a few books I recommended this summer. I hope the Ken Follett Pillars series doesn’t put her over the edge. What’s special about Noriko is how kind and thoughtful she is, always leaving beautiful comments on your posts, asking brilliant questions and interacting in a very immersive and connected way. I enjoy chatting with her, look forward to her book reviews, as they always provide fantastic insight into the meaning of the story, the plot and the characters. If you love books, she’s someone to know. If you want to get to know someone from the another country, she’d be a good addition to your followed blogs. Please find a few minutes to peruse her site and let her know what you think of it!

53 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 121 – Naked

cwhiteweb said:
    July 11, 2017 at 9:51 AM

This is such a beautiful post! How much better the world would be if we weren’t so worried about being emotionally covered up. I am sure a ton of people would choose physical nakedness over emotional nakedness. As for me, I find that I hide emotionally because I fear having someone use my vulnerability to hurt me. Ridicule I can take since what someone thinks of me is none of my business. I kept thinking that as I was reading, and I agree with that. It shouldn’t matter what who thinks. That is their business.

July 11, 2017 at 9:56 AM

Exactly. It’s taken me a long time, and sometimes I’m accused of being a bit too cold, but I don’t let people hurt me. They can get close, and we can share, but hurt for me is when something happens you can’t control, death or disease. If someone does something mean, bounce it off! 🙂 Harder to do than say, I know! Thank you for the kind word and for the comments.

cwhiteweb said:
        July 11, 2017 at 9:59 AM

It is much harder to do, especially if its linked to emotional wounds too. Some of those wounds just never heal (or we don’t let them because sometimes, the pain is better to have than nothing. Maybe). Taking it too far maybe, i don’t know hehehe

July 11, 2017 at 10:01 AM

pain is necessary to grow… and having it in the back as a reminder can prevent worse in the future, so i do agree with you

July 11, 2017 at 10:06 AM

Oh, my gosh. Thank you so much for mentioning my blog, Jay! I truly feel humbled! I have no words to describe how surprised I am right now. THANK YOU!
    As for today’s topic, I think comfortable in your skin and who you are is exactly what makes you feel happy and offers you peace of mind. If you cannot accept who you are including your shortcomings both mentally and physically and find the way to deal with it, you’re bound to be unhappy. I do mind what others might think of me especially criticism always stings me momentarily, but I found that letting them get to me too much will only make me feel depressed and add to the stress. I’m not saying that I can act whatever the way I want, it’s far from it, but as long as I act in the way that i won’t hurt others’ feelings and keep trying to become the better version of myself every single day, it doesn’t matter what others might think about me. I’m OK with that.

July 11, 2017 at 11:58 AM

You are very welcome. You have a great outlook on it all. It makes very clear and perfect sense.

Kristin said:
    July 11, 2017 at 10:18 AM

It’s so funny that you mention this. My “Hey You” posts exposed me in ways that made me uncomfortable. I’m glad that I did it though.

Physically, I’ve been pregnant 8 times. I’ve birthed six full term babies, in addition to a first and second-trimester loss. As a result, my abdominal muscles separated. I don’t have terrible stretch marks but in the part where my muscles separated, it appears as if I have a hole in my stomach. The skin drops in there, especially if I’m laying down.

As you know, we went to the beach last week. I went shopping for swimsuits and tried on probably 100 suits and couldn’t find a full piece that felt right or looked right. I found two modest bikinis that I absolutely loved. But, I struggled with knowing that I would expose this flaw to the world, to my inlaws, to strangers.

My fifteen year old reminded me that most people on the beach probably wouldn’t be noticing me anyway and that if they did…so what? I’ve had six children. Nothing to be ashamed of.

So, I did it. Was I nervous? You betcha. But, guess what? She was right. No one paid me a bit of attention. I didn’t get ugly looks and no one was nasty with me.

Even if they had, at the end of the day it only matters what I think of myself.

July 11, 2017 at 10:49 AM

This is so inspiring. I don’t know you but I’m proud of you and you are definitely raising your children right. They’re lucky to have you as their beautiful mama 🙂

Kristin said:
        July 11, 2017 at 11:17 AM

Aww, thank you! I admit that I wish I hadn’t shown my children how insecure I was. I wish I’d been a better role model. I want them to have a healthy body image. But, I’m human and luckily, I’ve been blessed to have children that understand that it is human to have insecurities sometimes. They’re the real inspiration. In that moment of weakness for me, she knew the things to say to encourage me. Just as I’d have done for her. I hope and pray I’m doing a good job with them ❤️

July 11, 2017 at 11:19 AM

Just reading this screams role model at me! Your kids love you to death I’m sure and probably tell all their friends about how cool their mom is 🙂

Kristin said:
        July 11, 2017 at 11:20 AM

Surprisingly, yes! Everyone says how teens hate their parents. I heard my kid was sitting at DQ with a friend, bragging loudly that a celebrity had followed my twitter 😂 I am so blessed!

July 11, 2017 at 12:11 PM

i second that motion

July 11, 2017 at 12:10 PM

Based on everything you’ve told me or posted in your blog, I think you are doing a fantastic job.

Kristin said:
        July 11, 2017 at 12:10 PM

July 11, 2017 at 12:05 PM

well said!

July 11, 2017 at 12:06 PM

And if you two don’t know one another or follow one another, you should give it a chance. You both like romance…. and have a great outlook on all the stuff I’ve talked about separately with each of you. 🙂

July 11, 2017 at 12:08 PM

Too late. We already did 😛

July 11, 2017 at 12:15 PM

Ha, well fine… see if I stick my two cents out there again. lol

July 11, 2017 at 12:01 PM

Well said. I remember the Hey You post, too… those words capture your attention.

As for what you did, awesome for you… I can’t really imagine what its like, especially with 8 pregnancies. And if someone did get nasty with you, it ultimately comes down to the problem being with that person, as they were the one who couldn’t step back and recognize the entire situation for what it was. They’d be too afraid to do even a tenth of what you accomplished looking at how they must be thinking about it. But it didn’t happen, so it makes you feel all that much more OK with caring less what others thing. Great input.

kerrymckim said:
    July 11, 2017 at 10:41 AM

This post struck me (after my inner eighth grader laughed because you were talking about being naked) because I was a very guarded person. I didn’t let people truly know me and never went to people for help. Then my husband was fighting for his life, unexpectedly and he was in the ICU for 5 months before passing. You can’t hold back when a crisis like that happens. So know I have learned to be emotionally naked and vulnerable. But as Brene Brown says (not sure if you have read any of her work), you can’t be courageous without first being vulnerable.

July 11, 2017 at 12:03 PM

Hehe… did you point and giggle when you reflected on being the 8th grader? It’s OK, I can take it! LOL

You’ve been thru a lot. It’s definitely had a major impact on your outlook for the future. Can’t imagine the loss you suffered, but your emotionally perspective seems very strong.

I’ve not read Brown before, but I will look this one up. Great input.

July 11, 2017 at 10:47 AM

Great post! I look forward to seeing you naked more often!

July 11, 2017 at 10:59 AM

James! Are we on the same mindtrack or what? Your post is sort of similar to my post. Mine’s a little darker today but we’re right on the same track. Great post. I like that you pointed out the physical and mental definitions of nakedness. For the record, if it was up to me, I’d walk around mostly naked except in winter. Don’t want to freeze my parts, hahaha. I hate bras the most. If it wasn’t socially accepted, I wouldn’t wear one. It took a while for me to knock down my mental barrier. The Nel you know now was not the same Nel 10 years ago. Like you, the more you grow as an adult the more you learn to brush a lot off and not let it bother you. If it’s meant to be, it will be. But, I will say, if you let those walls down to the right person, and you believe they’re worth it, you fight; fight as hard as you can because happiness is definitely the ultimate goal.
    (I was all over the place with this comment. I’m sorry!)

July 11, 2017 at 12:07 PM

Not all over, just meandering thru different points? And good ones.

I like this Nel, so don’t revert.

As for bras… I can only compare to wearing underwear in the heat. Too much… free the world! LOL

And we’re always on the same page, so I’m not surprised. Must be something about smart people. LOL

July 11, 2017 at 12:09 PM

Bahahahahaha free the world! Yes please! Hahahahaha. Yes, great minds think alike. It’s like ESPN or something 😛 (I hope you’ve seen mean girls or that won’t make sense.)

July 11, 2017 at 12:16 PM

as long as you’re not grabbing your breasts and telling me it’s gonna rain today, we’ll be OK…

July 11, 2017 at 12:17 PM

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! Has someone done that before??? Omg i’m choking from laughing so hard right now. I hope they were pregnant when they said that cause it doesn’t work that way otherwise LOL (that is too fantastic, I’m sorry, hahahaha)

July 11, 2017 at 12:18 PM

Ha! Not in front of me, but isn’t that what she did at the end of Mean Girls? When she went on to be a weather girl and then someone asked her and she said something like “I’m 69% sure it’s gonna rain today.”

July 11, 2017 at 12:23 PM

Lol!!!! Clearly my mind went way literal somewhere else cause I totally forgot I even mentioned Mean Girls. Thanks for the laugh.

Kiersten said:
    July 11, 2017 at 11:36 AM

This is a really great post. I’m still learning to be more comfortable being “naked” in both the physical and emotional sense. It’s difficult to get used to when you’re used to getting judged for it, which has happened to me plenty of times in the past. (Judgement from others and judgement from myself) Thank you for sharing this.

July 11, 2017 at 12:13 PM

Thank you. I appreciate it. You are definitely on a growth journey with a positive arc, especially with all the progress you’ve shared in posts previously. Judgment is hard… I did a whole post about that earlier this year. Judging something to understand it ends up being ok, but not to criticize it. Learning from it is always ideal.

Thank you for sharing. I’m always glad when you comment and we interact.

E. Michael Helms, writer said:
      July 11, 2017 at 1:04 PM

Kiersten, I’ve suffered from anxiety, depression, and PTSD for many, many years. It’s a constant struggle that we must always be vigilant of. Know and claim that you are beautiful within and without. When others criticize, it’s their sign of weakness, and their loss. All best wishes,
      –Michael

E. Michael Helms, writer said:
    July 11, 2017 at 12:52 PM

Ha, this one gave me a good laugh, Jay! Back in my younger days physical nakedness wasn’t an issue. I played sports all through high school, and then spent three years in the Marine Corps sharing communal showers and “shitters” (toilets) without walled barriers or doors. No problemo. However, with age has come “drooping and retreating” of certain body parts. That is to say, I’m no longer the “Adonis” I once was, and no longer comfortable in my own skin for others to share (with very few exceptions).
    However, through my writing I’ve laid bare my soul, opening myself up to the world (readers) for all who care to see. I’m comfortable with that, and have nothing to hide, the good and the bad. Interesting post.
    –Michael

July 11, 2017 at 12:59 PM

Ha! I’m glad I could make you laugh. Definitely part of the goal. In high school, I was very quiet and not on any sports team. I played up until middle school. And I avoided locker rooms… so I didn’t grow up with that normality about it. I kinda wish I did. Might have been an easier route. But your experience is probably the more common one. It can’t have all drooped that much if you were in great shape previously!

Where is your writing… when I look on your site, I mostly see posts about other people. I wonder if I’m not getting them all, as I usually rely on the Reader to show me posts from people I follow, but found I’m missing out on a bunch.

July 11, 2017 at 3:43 PM

Oh Jay I think this might just be your best one ever! You really knocked the ball out the park here (yes I do know what that means!)
    Absolutely stellar post and I hands down agree with every single word you wrote. 👏👏👏👏👏

July 11, 2017 at 4:35 PM

OMG, thank you. I am shocked. I felt like I was a little all over the place and not fully connected. WooHoo, you just made my afternoon. Thank you, Claire!

July 11, 2017 at 4:51 PM

You are so welcome, I really felt connected to this post and had things popping in my head and then like magic you had written them in the next paragraph! Obviously proving yet again we are twins! But yes, just a wonderful wonderful post and on such an emotive subject aswell. You played your hand so well.

July 11, 2017 at 5:02 PM

Must be twins. 🙂 I wonder if that means we have that twin-instinct to know what’s going on in the other person’s day… hmmm…

July 11, 2017 at 5:09 PM

Oooh we should definitely test that!

July 12, 2017 at 7:14 AM

I love this post on so many levels!!! 💚

Stephanie said:
    July 13, 2017 at 2:41 AM

I meant to comment on this yesterday, but it was not the greatest of days for me, and I couldn’t get my thoughts together the way I wanted them.

This was such a wonderfully introspective post. It gave me a lot to ponder after I read it. Because I have generalized anxiety disorder, it has always been a struggle to be naked. Physically and emotionally. The worry will rise up and cause me to worry about every little thing. If I’m physically naked, will that extra 5 lbs look like 50 and be so unattractive that my husband will be disgusted and seek another woman? Will my scars be repulsive and no one want to touch me? I’ve literally driven myself mad thinking of things like that but have slowly started to grow into my comfort zone and my own skin 🙂 It takes someone who really loves you to help you get to a place in your life where you can be this accepting of yourself when you’ve struggled with these issues.

Emotionally, if I expose myself, will people be accepting or judgmental? I’m someone who desperately wants to be emotionally naked and share things with people who will listen, care, be there for me, but I’ve had so many terrible experiences with friends using me for their own gain, living under the strict, skewed judgment of a bipolar mother, and my own self-deprecation. Yet, I’m learning that self-acceptance of myself, emotionally and physically, is much easier than drowning myself with every little worry and despair. And I can say with all honesty that connecting with people online has helped me to become more confident in my emotional nakedness since it has made me feel more confident in myself. It’s freeing to just write, to talk, and share pieces of my life with people who I don’t see every day even if I might have contact with them every day. Something about being online is freeing and makes you unafraid to just be comfortable in yourself.

I’m going to be thinking your post for awhile. Not being afraid to be naked…excellent message. 🙂

As always, your writing resonates with my soul! Sorry that I have not felt like commenting on your posts lately because I’ve had so much to say but just couldn’t think of what to say, lol. If that makes sense, lol!!

July 13, 2017 at 7:42 AM

Hi. You absolutely never need to apologize (especially to me) for not commenting on posts. When you have something to contribute or even just to agree, it’s always welcome. And if you have weeks where you just want to read them, or don’t want to read them, that’s totally OK. No pressure from me. 🙂

Sorry you had a rough couple of days. I hope a bit of brightness find its way through this week so your weekend is a fantastic one. You’re such a sweet person, you deserve it.

I can imagine if you had those types of controls on you while growing up, or incidents with friends who’ve been less than stellar, it would be hard to completely let go. Also, if you’ve got an anxiety disorder, it’s much more difficult to be free with these types of changes. I can’t imagine, as I haven’t been in your shoes. But it sounds like you are doing a lot to make things grow in a more positive light. I wish you well on that journey.

As far as other people and views… I still have concerns and negative thoughts about me or what people might think. But I keep telling myself to let it go. Sometimes… and this might seem silly… as organizes and as particular as I can be, I’ll leave the house in the worst outfit just to walk the dog or run errands… almost putting myself in a situation where I know someone will look at me in a funny way. And somehow, when I do it in purpose, it makes the situation easier to accept. Over time, it helped me care less if I didn’t comb my hair when I ran to the store, or I didn’t wear clothes people would find stylish, or I wore the shirt that was too tight and showed my love handles. At the end of the day, they will forget it after that initial giggle or thought, and I will too. Easier said than done, I totally understand.

Thank you for the feedback and compliments, Stephanie.

July 15, 2017 at 8:34 AM

This post was thought provoking, as were the comments posted. I guess I would label myself an “open” person but the prude in my would not allow me to describe myself as “naked.” I think being an open, aka naked person indicates a good, healthy, balanced amount of self-confidence.

MoJo said:
    July 15, 2017 at 10:08 AM

I was struck by the paragraph where you said ‘so if someone wants to think…’ and then followed it with ‘ no one is actually saying…’ We have an incredible habit of judging ourselves via what we imagine others are thinking about us. Maybe they really are, but then again, maybe not. It doesn’t matter given that we we have already taken in the (real or imagined) judgement.

This is a beautiful post, and it’s a powerful reminder to me to stay out of other people’s heads. Maybe I would be less afraid of being naked on all levels if I could do that, too.

July 15, 2017 at 11:59 AM

That’s a true statement, in reference to not being afraid to be naked on all levels. I appreciate the feedback. Thank you!