365 Challenge: Day 123 – Learned

Learned: connected or involved with the pursuit of knowledge; erudite, scholarly

learned

I’ve spent my last twenty-four hours pondering the various ways in which people learn new things, subjects or topics. As a child, it’s relatively easy to find methods for learning, particularly because in most cultures you are either being schooled at home or attending public or private school. Though it certainly varies from country to country, children and young adults generally attend grammar and secondary schools until they are 18; often, it’s followed by anywhere from 2 to 8 years of undergraduate colleges and graduate universities. Sometimes you take a break, re-enroll or return for additional degrees and certifications throughout your life. Ultimately, your education is generally formulated during those first 25 years of your life before you are more than likely forced to focus on a career and/or earning money to support yourself and/or a family.

In those first 25 years, a majority of the learning process or time is directed by a teacher or professor who has done the research, or been told by the school district, department chair or board of directors what methods to use and which books to read. My point, though it can be interpreted in many different ways, is that someone else “above/before” you is driving the education you are receiving. You might have selected the school, teacher, course, or some independent study components within the overall program, but you aren’t doing a majority of the planning and decision-making on how the entire learning experience will play out. Yes, you certainly pick a lot of the things you focus on within that course or degree, but you rarely can make up a majority of the requirements for your own education. While that seems like an obvious statement, I felt the need to establish it as a baseline understanding before I chat a little bit about what’s going on in my head these days…

It’s easy to rely on someone else to set the boundaries or parameters of your learning experience. And when you let them, you are able to focus on the actual reading, research and experimenting to gain the knowledge in preparation for your future. But what happens when you’re done with your formal education and you still want to learn. What are your options? A few ideas:

• Read books, journals and magazines
  • Find a seminar or course
  • Research via the Internet
  • Talk to people in that field

All are good options, but they require you as the individual to drive that piece of your education. If you want to learn pottery, you have to find and take a course, choose what books you want to read, travel the world to look at different artistry elements… you are left with an endless supply of information, but not always certain on how to proceed with so much at your fingertips and so little in a comprehensive overview. No longer do you have a documented itinerary or list of requirements that directs you towards gaining the knowledge you need. And for many people, that can be overwhelming. As I look at the things I’d like to accomplish in my future, I find myself thinking about who will help guide me through all the vast and open paths. While I’m confident I can navigate a big piece of the puzzle, am I really qualified or prepared to figure this out on my own?

The answer, at least for me or in my opinion, is NO. Or at least it isn’t specifically right now. Let’s take the option I’m considering for self-publishing my novel. While I continue to draft and send queries to literary agents, we all know it’s a big piece of luck and chance that will bolster my success, no matter how talented I am. And so I am excited about looking at all the options out there for self-publishing as an alternative. As I began writing my project plan over the last week, I found myself having to research topics on the Internet, talk to other writers and bloggers, look for already written summaries, etc. And it dawned on me, while there may be a class or video blog out there to help, it’s still 100% up to me to figure this out. There’s no advisor, professor, parent, boss, chairperson… whatever the appropriate person is for the field I’m looking at… and in reality, I actually first need to figure out what my educational plan is going to be before I just randomly go research it.

So… to bring some perspective back here… this post isn’t me saying “anyone have thought on self-publishing?” as I have already begun to prepare my own comprehensive plan on how to go about doing this, given all the materials at my disposal. But this post is saying… how does the rest of the world handle this? And doesn’t it seem silly that we spend so much of our early years “planning and learning,” only to find ourselves truly needing to be in a place of constant learning and growing without the right tools? Isn’t that one of the major points of life in any religion, culture or calling? To educate one’s self so that you can be a productive member of society and enhance the world for our future. But how do we do that if we end our formal learning process by 20 to 25 and leave it up to everyone to individually find time in our busy schedules to keep the momentum growing without these processes and tools.

In a way, it’s almost like suggesting we should have a “Life Skills” course that is taught by people who focus on these things day in and day out. Now that’s a job I think I would be tremendously strong at! I spend so much of my time thinking about all aspects of life, how to be a better person, how to be open-minded and fair… it seems like that we all would benefit from a regular educational experience about how to grow as people, move the world forward and become more highly intelligent beings. Many of us do this already… often inconsistently… usually on our own. But what if there were learning facilities with people (almost like the concept of a life coach) focused on helping make this a prominent component of everyone’s life. Forget about whether it’s required or optional. Start with just having something that actually offers the ability to connect and talk with other people about these things in a regular forum.

It’s along the same path as teaching life skills courses during the early years to help people have a 360 view of what the world has to offer and what we should be doing as human beings. It’s something I try to push myself to think about every day when I write the 365 Daily Challenge post. It was suggested I turn these into a book at one point, and I’m seriously wondering whether this is something that needs to be more of a focus in my life. It shouldn’t be 3 minutes of someone’s thoughts whenever they have time. I feel like maybe this should be part of a Life Skills & Learning Platform that becomes part of our post-degree or post-school educational experiences. Inclusive across the board on gardening, cooking, problem solving, genealogy, overview of sports, religion, cultures, blogging, buying a house, having a child, volunteering, car maintenance, travel planning, meditating, accepting failure, etc.

All these things have books, seminars, blogs, videos… but it’s so decentralized. No one-stop shop or place to truly have a place to turn in life to keep on that continuous educational wheel. Am I crazy? Am I just ignorant of something existing already out there? Or are there other people like me who realize we’re not placing enough importance on these things in our own life at the right frequency, and we really need to make this change? I’d love to hear what others think of this topic and how you handle it in your own life. Let’s make this one a big share everyone…

RECOMMENDED BLOGGER

• Today’s 365 Daily Challenge recommended blogger to know is Valerie @ Valerie’s Musings. Valerie and I have been chatting for about 3 months. We first bonded over our love of cozy mystery fiction, sharing different authors and book series with one another. And when we read the same ones, we have so much fun chatting about the characters, settings and plots. We moved on to other genres and will be doing a buddy read later this month of “The Bear and the Nightingale.” But once we started chatting about general life musings between my 365 Daily Challenge posts and her focus on making positive changes in her life, we bonded over lots of great ideas and thoughts for the future. She is a very smart, friendly and open-minded woman who deserves great things in life. I look forward to her feedback and comments each week. And for those reasons, Valerie should be on your watch list, too. Go check out her site from the link above and poke around the site. Make the most out of her musings!

29 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 123 – Learned

July 13, 2017 at 11:46 AM

Well I have many learning methods as I’m sure you’ve realized from reading my posts. I love to read though so that’s usually easiest but I’m a pretty visual learner as well. As for life lessons, I’m the “you live and you learn” type of personality. I don’t knock anything until I try it and learn whether I like it or not. I embrace my mistakes and usually come out for the better because of it.

bobosbookbank said:
    July 13, 2017 at 11:49 AM

Awesome post Jay! I never looked at it that way but you’re right!😁

MoJo said:
    July 13, 2017 at 12:11 PM

Lifetime education seems like it would be parked very close to the top of every adult’s priority list, but much to my surprise, many people don’t seem to have an inner drive to constantly expanding their learning. I believe that it is one of those attributes that you either can’t understand or you can’t stop doing. And for those of us who are passionate about ongoing education (on every level), it seems that the priority is booted lower and lower on the list when we get lost in the day to day.

If we could have a forum, how would the determination be made as to which person or group would be deemed the expertiest of the experts? Who gets to decide that? If it is based on internet hits, I’m fairly confident that the Kardashians will run the whole shebang, and at that point, I will be out on any future forum plans. But assuming that there is an alternate approach, I love the idea. 🙂

July 13, 2017 at 1:06 PM

Good point. I’m thinking if it were a Kardashian, I’d just curl up and die in the corner. Need to be run by people not out for glory and fame. Something more about connecting normal and rational people with others to learn together…

Thanks for joining in on the comments for this one. -j

MoJo said:
        July 13, 2017 at 1:18 PM

No kidding. Save me a corner spot, too! Lol

July 13, 2017 at 12:20 PM

very interesting post! thanks for sharing your thoughts on this! 🤗

overthehillontheyellowbrickroad said:
    July 13, 2017 at 12:48 PM

I agree with what you wrote in your post. If you’re attempting to learn something new, there’s so much info scattered out there in every direction, it’s hard to find a specific educational direction. It’s a real challenge.

Run Wright said:
    July 13, 2017 at 2:03 PM

I read for knowledge. I don’t always know what skills I’m lacking and what I need to learn but I find that the more I read, the more I learn, the more I realize how much more I need to learn. I’ll be studying forever and that’s fine by me 🙂
    I also plan to go back to school sometime in the next few years. Training under an expert can be good, focused study.

Run Wright said:
    July 13, 2017 at 2:12 PM

PS. I checked out Valerie’s blog. I love that you feature someone else everyday. Sharing is caring 🙂

July 13, 2017 at 2:13 PM

I’m so glad you did! Thank you. I am trying to give back as much as everyone has given back to me in the last 6 months. I’m sure I’ll be featuring you as we get closer! 🙂

July 13, 2017 at 2:44 PM

I love the idea of continually learning. I try to incorporate this into my own life as much as possible, but it’s hard. I get a word a day email, and I read a lot, on all sorts of subjects, but sometimes I just run out of time. Life gets in the way of learning, and to some extent, living. I know….babbling…..

July 13, 2017 at 3:03 PM

Books! But also writing, all the research that goes with writing helps with learning without you even realising it! I love visiting historical sites aswell and I become embroiled in reading all the info marked around them, takes me ages to visit those places! I think we often learn without realising it, it’s easy to think we aren’t doing anything to develop our brains but often we are doing quite a lot. I do acknowledge though that my IQ has definitely dropped significantly since I was 21! 😂

July 13, 2017 at 5:04 PM

Oh, so true…. we do get a little less book smart as we grow up… unless we focus on it! I could be happy going to sites all day long if that work and money thing didn’t get in the way.

Swetha said:
    July 13, 2017 at 4:27 PM

I am currently in the same dilemma. I have made a list of all the things I do want to learn, but by the time I begin, I am so overwhelmed with the number of options, that I end up watching a few videos on it, reading articles about it, looking at some courses, etc. all at once!
    That being said, I guess we should be thankful that we do have so many options available.
    Great post! Also, I love the 365 days challenge idea 🙂

July 13, 2017 at 5:03 PM

Thank you, I appreciate it.

I’ve started a project plan to help me focus on all the areas for the research aspect. Gives me a full 360 view of all things to consider, and then I can structure some timing and targets around it.

[…] Jay@ This-Is-My-Truth-Now   (I finally have a chance to tag you in something after all the times you’ve tagged me, yay!! 😉 ) […]

July 16, 2017 at 4:00 PM

The most important thing I can teach my students who are freshmen in college is HOW to learn, not WHAT to learn. Learning one NEEDS to learn is the first step. I have taught “life skills” (I called it Survivor Skills) in reading classes, to junior high schoolers, adults, and teachers who will teach those skills to others..simple things like reading a menu, reading a bus/train schedule/ reading the movie ads in the newspaper (now I include finding the trailers on YouTube then calling up the local theater to see if the movie one is interested is playing, and if so, at what times). People new to the US and younger people don’t always have these skills, and many times other people are too busy to lend a hand in teaching them to you. Besides, being independent is important. One must decide even whether to trust the people who offer to teach you or help you these days, a sad but accurate observation.
    I think a survival skills manual would make an excellent book and probably would sell well. Have at it! Your blogs would certainly for the basis for a “take life by the horns” and ride it like a bull, hanging on for your life.

July 16, 2017 at 4:55 PM

You made so many really important statements in this comment, especially about people from other countries or younger US citizens not being taught all these things. Survivor Skills is a great course name!