My Novel: Father Figure (Week 2 – Friday, July 14th, 2017)

Based on the votes, you chose Father Figure as the next novel I write. Last time, we kicked off the weekly updates with an introduction to the book and my accomplishments during week #1. It’s already the end of week #2, and I’m happy to report that it’s been a productive one. For a summary of the novel, scroll to the bottom of the post.

writer

Status:  Friday, July 14, 2017 – Week #2

• I edited the chapter by chapter outline by moving a few events around, adding two additional chapters to add to the drama in the opening pages, and incorporating some key dialogue points and lines into the first ten chapters.
  • I flushed out detailed bios for the 2 main characters and 6 of the 12 supporting characters. Molly’s and Brianna’s physical descriptions have been fully detailed, as well as their relationships with each of the family members. Both women have clear goals and objectives, thus driving the story arcs where I need them to go.
  • I’ve settled on the ethnicity, race, age, sexuality and attitudes for 6 of the 12 characters. By doing this, I’ve come up with two sub-plots which will help drive the story along, as well as provide depth to the characters. I’m finding myself slightly enamored with one of these supporting characters, trying to decide her ultimate fate among a sea of options.
  • I’ve listed approximately 20 locations that will appear in the book, organized by the 3 primary cities in which the story takes place. I’m working with a few friends who know those places well enough to provide some critical backdrop details. And within those 20 locations, e.g. coffee shop in NYC, professor’s office in the university, I’ve prepared a summary of the overall look-and-feel that will be included in each setting.

Next Steps: Plan for Week #3

• The remaining characters will be flushed out so that I have a 1 to 3 page detailed bio for each supporting character, depending on how frequently (s)he appears, and a 7 to 9 page bio for the 2 main characters.
  • The narrator’s voice still needs more focus. It will be third-person omniscient but I’m debating the structure of the voice, e.g. direct and clear versus amusing and fluctuating, pending which main character is the focus point. Hard things to figure out, but important before you start writing in my world.
  • Detailed timeline by date, not specific to chapter. A true list of dates and times that all the action occur so that I can ensure I’m including appropriate connection points, drama, red herrings and shocker moments. You are in for a thrill (at least I hope) with 3 really suspenseful scenes and 3 moments where the intention is for a WTF reaction of “no… that can’t happen!!!”

What’s on the author’s mind?

• While I didn’t have as much time as I’d hoped to work on the novel this week, I definitely devoted a solid 10 hours to it. It’s amazing the moments of brilliance you have about a plot or a character when you find uninterrupted time to truly ponder.
  • I’ve decided to add some big diversity points into the story. I’d known in the beginning that I wanted one of them to be included, as I felt it was a major component of a character; however, as I thought about what story I’m trying to tell here, I felt it needed to play a larger role. I’m going to need to research more as a result of this decision, but I think it’s also going to make the connection deeper with readers.
  • I’m debating the father. I keep picturing a scene from Star Wars and going back to…. “Well… maybe her father really should be X instead of Y.”

Ugh, just tell me who your father is, Brianna. NOW!

Open Questions / Thoughts

• I’m still working through the ending. Cliffhanger or fully tied up? I may write both and see what a few beta readers think. The way it’s planned, I’d only have to write 2 to 3 chapters differently, which is less than a week’s work for me, especially since I have both endings clearly in mind already. The response last week from everyone was split fairly evenly, so if you have any examples of good or bad cliffhanger endings in books with sequels, throw ’em out there for me to consider.
  • My first thought on the opening lines… still very much a work in progress… and more just about setting the tone:
    • “I didn’t raise no harlot, Amalia. When you’re done with school today, you will go directly to the hardware store and help your father and me manage that register.” The back of Janet Graeme’s left hand stained her daughter’s flushed cheek with a burning imprint as she pushed passed her towards the stove. The piercing whistle of the tea kettle not only took precedence over the conversation, it disguised Amalia’s unexpected hollow whimper.
    • “But Momma, all the girls from my soccer team will be at the lake. We’re just gonna go for a swim and watch the sun set. I’ll be home to help with dinner,” Amalia replied, the strain in her voice grew weaker with each of her mother’s refusals to let her be a normal kid for once. She knew it wasn’t time to give up.

Summary of Father Figure (if you’re new to it)

• A young girl’s quest to find her father, unaware of all the circumstances she’s placed herself in due to the choices both her mother made 18 years ago and the young girl has made on her own in the present. How well do you really know your parents? And do they truly understand you?
  • A mystery and contemporary fiction novel set in two time periods with two primary characters:
    • 1998 – Amalia Graeme, about to turn 18, attends college, leaving behind a mother with whom she had a difficult relationship. While Amalia has a boyfriend, she’s secretly attracted to an older professor, Dr. Jonah West. She begins an affair with him and realizes she must come clean to her boyfriend. After she tells the boyfriend, they have a huge fight and she leaves to find Jonah who she thinks can comfort her. Along the path, she’s attacked by a stranger and her life is never the same again. Amalia makes a few choices which will later have disastrous consequences.
    • 2018 – Amalia, going by Molly and living in NYC, sends her daughter, Brianna, away to college. Just like her mother, Brianna begins dating one of her professors, probably looking for a father figure, as she’s never met her real father. Brianna has always accepted her mother’s story that her father was a military man whom Molly had a one-night stand with and later found herself pregnant and no way to find him. When Brianna uncovers her mother’s old journal, she learns a shocking secret that her mother never knew who the father was because it could have been more than one man. As Brianna searches for clues to find her father, she stumbles upon a few facts which could completely change her future. But when the stranger who attacked her mother re-surfaces, not even Molly knows if she can protect her daughter anymore.

About Me
I am a writer. I am currently searching for an agent and looking at independent publishing options for my first book, Watching a Glass Shatter. To see more, please check out the website for this novel where you will find the first 3 chapters, character bios and sample quotes.

I am writing my second novel, Father Figure, with plans to finish it in December, 2017. As part of the process to engage with my fans and followers, I am publishing a weekly status on the progress of this second book. For a description of this book, check out the post where my friends and followers voted for this book as my second novel.

Beyond these two books, I have a number of short stories, poems and other novels in various shapes and forms. I also read A LOT. First the book review goes on Goodreads, and then I send it on over to my WordPress blog at https://thisismytruthnow.com, where you’ll also find TV & Film reviews, Tags, Awards, Age/Genre/Book Reads and Author Spotlights, as well as the revealing and introspective 365 Daily Challenge.

You can also access my social media profiles to get the details on the who/what/when/where and my pictures. Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Vote in the poll and ratings. Thanks for stopping by. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators.

32 thoughts on “My Novel: Father Figure (Week 2 – Friday, July 14th, 2017)

July 14, 2017 at 10:59 AM

I have some good examples fantasy and not fantasy but I’ll message you later cause I’m longwinded. I think you’re doing a good job. Keep it up 😀

July 14, 2017 at 11:02 AM

As always, I appreciate it… especially when you’re the friend helping on Ohio! 🙂

July 14, 2017 at 11:04 AM

😀 I consider myself as your assistant in my head. Just so you’re aware 😉

July 14, 2017 at 11:07 AM

Awesome… a partner in crime.

shalini said:
    July 14, 2017 at 11:06 AM

Great summary. Loved your story.. Remember I am one of your beta reader 😉😉

July 14, 2017 at 11:08 AM

yes, I am good with that! I’m guessing that I’ll have a few chapters the first or second week of August. 🙂

shalini said:
        July 14, 2017 at 11:14 AM

Hahaha do you have a choice in not choosing me?? 😉😉
        I am awed by the fact that u have so many ideas in your brain at any point of time. I am amazed at the length of your posts. I wish I had that talent.. Hats off Jay

July 14, 2017 at 11:19 AM

I do not. And thank you for it! Haha

I have so much in my head. Ideas are never the issue. Time is my enemy. Lol.

shalini said:
        July 14, 2017 at 11:20 AM

Amazing….

July 14, 2017 at 11:18 AM

It is simply amazing to know how much time and thoughts, contemplations go into writing a novel… I have a new respect for you, Jay!
    I can understand about the opening lines… Jeffrey Archer once said he spends enormous amount of time on the first sentence and the last sentence; they are the most crucial parts of a book. Keep up the awesome work😊✨

July 14, 2017 at 12:34 PM

I appreciate it. It is a lot of time. And I think that’s what makes a book so much stronger. Assuming you have talent to actually then write it out.

Martie said:
    July 14, 2017 at 11:39 AM

good luck

July 14, 2017 at 11:43 AM

I like the second opening better. I feel like I’m immersed in the story

July 14, 2017 at 11:54 AM

Very exciting! I already can’t wait to read more!

July 14, 2017 at 3:01 PM

Wow you’ve done loads! I am seriously impressed!

I always remember the cliffhanger endings much more clearly, probably because I have a little tantrum about having to wait or never getting a resolution! Happy to message you some of the most impactful but they will be fantasy.

July 14, 2017 at 3:09 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it. When my mind has ideas, I throw myself into it. It was a first draft, but I wrote the last book (300 pages) in 6 weeks. I edited for another 6 weeks, but I’m an animal when it comes to deadlines I give myself. a bit obsessive, i suppose. 🙂

July 14, 2017 at 3:17 PM

Wow!! 😲 I’ve given myself 6 months to write my book! 😂 Although since I’ve had a beta reader go through the early chapters I’ve had a rocket attach itself to me and I’m writing much faster so there’s hope!

July 14, 2017 at 3:18 PM

that’s excellent. i’m so excited for you… sounds like things are definitely taking off.

Rebecca Lewis said:
    July 14, 2017 at 3:55 PM

Is it fleshed out or flushed out? I think fleshed out but I certainly could be wrong. Thanks!!

July 14, 2017 at 3:58 PM

That is too funny… sometimes there are words you use that you think are the right ones, but someone points it out, and you just go “woah… how did I miss that?” I checked the dictionary. It said: Think of fleshing out a skeleton. To flesh out something is to give it substance, or to make it fuller or more nearly complete. To flush out something is to cause it to leave a hiding place, e.g., “The birds were flushed out of the tree.”

July 14, 2017 at 4:00 PM

Since I used with making characters more clear, I suppose it could be both as I want the details to come out of hiding from inside my head. But it’s likely more “fleshed out,” as you noted.

Thanks for dropping me and turning on the light bulb today.

July 14, 2017 at 3:57 PM

You have made some great progress!! I already want to read more!!

carhicks said:
    July 15, 2017 at 7:38 AM

Sounds like a good start. I definitely see a lot of progress. Good for you.

July 15, 2017 at 7:39 AM

I appreciate it. Woke up in the middle of the night last night thinking “the NYC coffee scene has to include someone famous…” no idea what that meant or how it needs to be included… sometimes I’m just losing it! 🙂

carhicks said:
        July 15, 2017 at 7:46 AM

You often get your best ideas in the middle of the night I think.

July 16, 2017 at 4:10 PM

Right now the only thing I can (or MUST) commit ten hours to is teaching plans and trying to cram a semester of work/writing into five weeks! You have accomplished an amazing amount in that ten hours. Did you sleep at all? LOL I am enjoying my “summer project”/course so much that it feels like play, not work. I even enjoyed the “free” writing sample I took up and looked at and marked this weekend. Happily I report that I have a lot to work with in at least a handful of cases. Most of the kids (except for the one that works into the wee hours and dozes off(it is an 8:00 am course) have a great attitude, and I have to admit my heart is with the ones who are trying to work and keep up with the class at the same time.

July 16, 2017 at 4:56 PM

I forget that not everyone is privileged to live on campus and be able to focus on school as their full-time purpose. I worked while on campus, but only 20 hours, and never overtime. I always knew my schedule and was able to balance everything. I was lucky. Good share… I’m sure you are an amazing teacher for them.