365 Challenge: Day 125 – Talented

Talented: having a natural aptitude or skill for something

talented.jpg

So… it’s Friday afternoon and I am writing up the post for Saturday’s (tomorrow) 365 Daily Challenge. I also wrote Sunday’s post. I am a very talented individual… well… actually, I just happen to be devoting a solid 6 hours tomorrow to writing “Father Figure’s” outline and I have at least 6 hours of NYC Terrace gardening work to focus on for Sunday. While this challenge is supposed to push me to write daily, the fact that I’m blocking out time to write should be A-OK for pre-planning my post this weekend. That’s why the word is TALENTED, since I can think out of the box and be in many places at the same time… But also, as I watched an older season last night of “Great British Baking Show,” someone reminded me of something very important:

Because I’m talented, and I know I can do it.

Perhaps another reason I chose this word might be that I was online shopping for bathing suits this afternoon while eating lunch, looking for something to wear to the beach when I rent a house for a long weekend with friends on Fire Island in August. Though I hate the sun, it’s a good short weekend getaway. The two suits I have from the last few years don’t fit that well anymore (the gym’s paying off!), and I want something new that will make me feel good about myself. I stumbled across a pair of trunks that immediately made me think of one of my favorite movies.

In all sincerity, given the way I’ve let my hair grow out so far this year, the nervous jiggle Mr. Damon has above, the glasses I wear from time to time, and the shape of his body, that could seriously be me! All I need to do is buy that neon greenish-yellow bathing suit (a color I have NEVER worn), and I can re-create that scene — except I don’t smile, and I don’t think I’m as handsome as he is, so that goes out the window — but I do love the movie “The Talented Mr. Ripley,” and as much as I adore Matt, I much prefer Jude Law. If you have not seen this movie, please rent it this weekend. Invite me over. We can watch together. It’ll be a total awesome weekend. Good thing as my silliness is kicking in and the posts may not make sense much longer.

Talented. That’s today’s word. We are all talented in some way, shape or form. We often fail to recognize it for a few reasons:

• Shy and humble
  • Don’t think we are the best
  • Believe we are not good enough
  • Difficulty in finding the positive things
  • Reticent to say something for fear of what others think

Today, you need to push all those sentiments out of your head, as well as any others you’ve come up with, and take a few minutes to acknowledge your talents and skills. I’m being quite serious; you’re getting homework this weekend, and consider me the instructor. I’m going to share five reasons why I am a talented individual and I want everyone to reply with their five reasons . If you’re feeling brave, re-post your response on your own site with those five reasons: share it with the world!

1. I am a solid organizer. I can plan a move, vacation or project with such adept cultivation, I’m often admired for the speed and accuracy of completing things under budget, within scope and on schedule.
  2. I am a really good bowler, though I rarely get to do it anymore. I had an average of over 200 in several of the leagues I bowled in earlier this century (ha!) and would frequently bring our team into the championships in the very end.
  3. I am highly creative when it comes to building character profiles, story lines and background settings. I know when to provide details and when to leave it to the reader’s imagination.
  4. I am a good cook and baker. I rarely follow recipes and can determine how to make my own version of something, bringing new flavors to the table all the time.
  5. I am a very genuine person who attempts to always share my experiences with others in the hopes I can benefit them in some small way such that things grow more positive for them.

We don’t spend nearly enough time accepting these wins and empowering ourselves to grow stronger and brighter with each passing day. It doesn’t matter if we’re not the best at it. Or if we know someone else who thinks that we’re not that good at it. Or even if you can’t compete with people who are professionals at that skill or task.

Forget everyone else. Focus on yourself. What makes you proud of yourself? What are you good at? Where do your talents exist? Share them with us and then find a way to celebrate them this weekend. You owe it to yourself to own up to the things you’re good at and to watch this amazing movie. And if you don’t know what those talents are, go ask someone you trust. I’m confident there’s more than you even realized.

RECOMMENDED BLOGGER

• Today’s 365 Daily Challenge recommended blogger to know is Bentley @ BookBastion because he is talented and deserves even more recognition. Bentley, or as I call him — B3, and I connected about 4 to 5 months ago when we first began blogging. Since the beginning, he’s been a very kind and generous friend who comments and provides feedback on many of my posts. We expanded our connections to Twitter and Goodreads, where he is an avid reader and has a good following among book bloggers and other readers. He’s got a very strong voice and is not afraid to tell everyone how he feels or what he thinks about a book or the way people behave on social media, but he’s always fair, respectful and open-minded. I love when he posts lengthy discussions on the best way to draft a book review, provides constructive criticism to others or shares negative feedback about a topic or post. He’s also a really friendly guy who’s got tons of wonderful things going on in his life. The look-and-feel of his site is really strong, drawing you in with great photos and perfect shapes and angles to highlight the books he’s reviewing. Take a walk on over this weekend and learn more about him.

48 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 125 – Talented

July 15, 2017 at 7:57 AM

As we were just talking about how I always second guess my writing and I still can’t believe anyone reads, much likes my writing, I’ve come up with my five talents. 1) sarcasm 2) being able to find dog when she’s hiding and I need to take her out 3) telepathic knowledge of what my husband means to say when he says “you know that thing” 4) forget my passwords to everything (really, the way I do it is a talent 5) the ability to remember this when I do my own blog post. FYI love that movie- though it freaked me out- and totally agree with Jude law, who is also an option to play my husband in movie about my life

July 15, 2017 at 8:24 AM

I agree with sarcasm! I don’t know you well enough on the rest, but they are all funny… especially to do your own blog plot. Let’s go on holiday when you get back from your vacation to search for Jude. We can write about those adventures.

July 15, 2017 at 8:22 AM

You are indeed an awesome, talented (in so many areas) person. Not to mention the fact that you are a great writer, judging from your blog. (I can’t wait to “judge” your writing skills from your book. I share a few of your talents like organization, cooking, and maybe creativity, but I am not as multi-talented as you are. Maybe that is because I do not attempt things I am not sure I will be good (well, better than ok) at. LOL

July 15, 2017 at 12:04 PM

You are creative and talented in your posts, I’ve seen that! Once you attempt it a few times, hopefully something feels easier. But I’ve had a few where no matter how much I try, it’s never a comfortable feeling. So I’ve just stopped. Too many other things calling my attention. Like today… I got wrapped up for 2 hours on some genealogy sites as I might have found a missing link I needed. Made me realize I am a talented researched, but I’d forgotten that part! Ah… too bad we didn’t live closer to go for tea!

July 16, 2017 at 3:34 PM

We’ll have a cuppa’ (I love chi tea!) some day at the same time, taking the time difference into consideration. That’s the best we can do considering neither of us could take off from our lives and hop on a plane to meet for tea (not to mention not having the $ LOL). Every time we have one of these “comment-reply-conversations” it makes me realize how much we have in common, even (maybe especially is a better word) considering the age difference.

July 16, 2017 at 4:53 PM

If only like were simpler and we could spend time doing the things like this that make everyday so fun and special. Work and money, ugh! I know what you mean.

July 15, 2017 at 8:32 AM

You are definitely talented. I mean, you can put a lot of hats on depending on the topic and pull it off amazingly. You can be serious, you can be funny.. never a dull moment (post) I would say.
    It can be tough to acknowledge that we are all talented because of being shy or humble as you put it; we don’t wanna come across stuck-up or conceited, do we? BUT, for the sake of your question, the thing that I can boast about myself is the length of my attention span. Suppose doing something I love, reading or blogging for instance, I can do them for hours. Plus, my dedication, maybe?

July 15, 2017 at 12:01 PM

Those are good examples. It does take a certain knack and skill to let yourself be focused. I like that interpretation.

And thank you for the lovely compliment.

July 15, 2017 at 4:01 PM

You’re very welcome 🙂

Bentley ★ BookBastion.net said:
    July 15, 2017 at 10:32 AM

Aww, thank you for the feature my friend! 🙂 I’m extremely glad to have gotten to know you over the last half year. You’re an awesome friend to have in the blogging community!

July 15, 2017 at 10:41 AM

You are definitely a talented person!! When I was reading your 5 talents I was trying to think of something I am talented at and I was coming up blank. I am sure I am good at something I just do t know what it is lol.

July 15, 2017 at 11:58 AM

I’m sure you are overlooking a lot of things! Talent is something you do well… perhaps it’s writing book reviews or posts…

July 15, 2017 at 12:05 PM

Yeah maybe. I am my own worst critic I don’t think my reviews are all that great, but saying that my followers seem to enjoy what I’m doing so that’s good!!

July 15, 2017 at 12:10 PM

True. And it’s all perspective. Sometimes we get so caught up in seeing the things we love about our hobbies and interests, hoping to achieve the same greatness of those doing it that we admire… and along that path, we realize, we’re also good at it, just less experienced or on a different path. Still makes you talented. 🙂

July 15, 2017 at 12:11 PM

Thank you!! I need to get better at not criticizing everything I do!!

July 15, 2017 at 12:14 PM

🙂

MoJo said:
    July 15, 2017 at 1:11 PM

That was a good movie, but hopefully you only relate to the silly and not the insane of that character (but he was fabulous, too!). 😉

July 15, 2017 at 2:32 PM

Only the silly. Though if I ever have the opportunity… and just one day left… and I need to ride the world of some bad people… it’s tempting.

MoJo said:
        July 15, 2017 at 2:34 PM

That’s why movies like that are so much fun. You wouldn’t walk the same path, but it’s quite entertaining to root for the (mostly) bad guy every now and then.

July 15, 2017 at 2:35 PM

THat is how I felt about the book “You”

MoJo said:
        July 15, 2017 at 2:36 PM

I haven’t read that but I think I may have it on my Kindle. This sounds weird but does it have a red and white cover? Maybe I’m making that up in my mind. Will have to see if that’s the one.

July 15, 2017 at 2:36 PM

It totally does!

MoJo said:
        July 15, 2017 at 2:39 PM

Well this is extra weird bc I just checked my kindle and it isn’t there! Maybe I own the actual book. I do love a good real paper book sometimes, but I don’t know where I would have put it. Now I’m going to have to put the darn thing on my Kindle even though it sounds like I already own it! Argh. My brain needs a nap! 😉

July 15, 2017 at 2:52 PM

Sleep well. Lol.

July 16, 2017 at 5:26 PM

I think I made a mistake. I was confusing two books. The copy of “You” on my shelf is black, white and orange. But, the one on Goodreads is read and white. Maybe you missed it with the different cover?

MoJo said:
        July 16, 2017 at 8:26 PM

So there are two versions out there of the same book. The weird stuff continues!

July 16, 2017 at 5:26 PM

(red and white)… tried to fix the spelling but failed. Epic.

Books Teacup and Reviews said:
    July 15, 2017 at 1:11 PM

This was interesting topic. You are definitely a good writer. I like reading your Challenge posts. 🙂

July 15, 2017 at 2:32 PM

Thank you. The ideas are always there. Maybe I should be a thinker for others! Lol

shalini said:
    July 15, 2017 at 1:52 PM

Jay, why are you writing a post on talented??… Just look in the mirror…
    I don’t have a creative gene, I am trying to find if I have any, I can’t sing dance, paint, draw write poems, do photography.. Tried and failed in them, hoping some creative gene gets unmasked in the following years

shalini said:
      July 15, 2017 at 1:54 PM

Great talents jay

July 15, 2017 at 2:34 PM

Hmmm. Gardening? Cooking? Knitting? Speaking? Being a good friend? 🙂

shalini said:
        July 15, 2017 at 2:36 PM

Mehhh gardening I love, my plants all die.. I hate cooking, knitting is ok, not too fond, speaking I am kinda shy, but nobody seems to believe it, but I am shy and introverted. Good friend?? Barely ok..
        Now we need something more

I am kind and frank..

July 15, 2017 at 2:37 PM

Those are good ones. I’m sure you are talented at your job. Travel planning? Water skiing? Surfing?

shalini said:
        July 15, 2017 at 2:40 PM

Huhh?? What are those?? I haven’t travelled anywhere in 20 years. What’s water skiing n surfing, don’t have those in india…
        I just realized kindness and being frank don’t go tog… Hmmm.
        Well, I survived 4 decades, will survive a couple more, will discover something new, why should I give up on me?? I think i may not be hugely talented but I am an ok human being

July 15, 2017 at 2:41 PM

I’m sure you are talented. You just can’t decide what it is. :). Don’t give up !

shalini said:
        July 15, 2017 at 2:42 PM

Hahaha, nopes not giving up. I am my biggest fan, I can’t give up, I think i am my only fan hahaha

July 15, 2017 at 2:51 PM

At least me too!

July 15, 2017 at 2:46 PM

Another fab post, you are definitely super talented which shines through in these posts! I used to be a super talented musician but I’ve kind of avoided that for a long time now! 😂

July 15, 2017 at 3:07 PM

Great post as usual, James! You’re very talented, that’s for sure! I love the way you write and think. 👍👍👍

Arjun said:
    July 15, 2017 at 9:22 PM

Hai,
    I like your site. Recently I started my blog http://1clikportal.com/wordpress/ please visit and subcribe it