TAG: I Messed Up Books

Many thanks to two great bloggers who nominated me on the same morning to participate in this fun book tag. Both ladies have fantastic blogs, so please go read them ASAP!

Stephanie @ StephsFictionandFamilyLove

Ann @ Ann’s Reading Corner

messed.jpg

QUESTIONS IN THE TAG

A character appearance that you misread or imagined differently:

• I think I have a different take on Robert Langdon in Dan Brown’s books. I would not have pictured Tom Hanks.

A character name that you’ve been pronouncing wrong:

• When I read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I mispronounced a name:
    • It’s ‘Vie-Ah-Let’ Bore-R-Garrr’ and not ‘Bore-Ruh-Gard’

An overused trope that is your guilty pleasure:

• Bringing characters back from the dead. It is an awesome way to surprise people, but if you do it too much, then it feels like something you always expect. It’s happened on a lot of horror things lately, and I want to slap the authors, then hug them for seeing both sides of the trope.

A cliché character type that you like better on screen than reading about:

• The moody male protagonist. In books, he often comes across as a jerk and someone you want to beat the crap out of. Then they hire some hot actor to play him, and you’re like… “Well, yeah maybe I’d do him.”

A word/phrase you learned because of its use in a book:

• Yes, lots… especially southern expressions, such as “Bless Your Heart” is not actually a very nice thing to say to someone.

Have you ever not read or completed a required-reading book for school?

• Yes! I skimmed a few in a Shakespeare class that I had at 8am on Saturday mornings. I sometimes couldn’t catch up during the week and needed my weekends to finish reading. I had no opportunity with this course, so I had to read cliff notes to be able to say something valuable. But I always finished it afterwards.

Have you ever skipped (or wanted to) a chapter from the point of view of a character you weren’t interested in?

• Done it – No
  • Wanted To – Yes
    • If the book alternates between characters and there’s a major suspenseful moment, I really can’t wait to get back to that character. And go figure, that’s exactly what I built into my first novel… alternates between 5 brothers and even writing it, I’d tick myself off having to wait to go back to write the next chapter for the brother I was totally focused on.

Have you ever canceled social plans to read a book?

• Friends reading this – No, never. Now all friends, please close this post as I need to reveal a surprise gift I have for you… All shut down?  Good, thanks.
  • My real answer: YES! I have… a few times… made up excuses to finish a book. Sorry!!!

I TAG

41 thoughts on “TAG: I Messed Up Books

Stephanie said:
    July 20, 2017 at 8:19 PM

Those are awesome answers!! Thanks for doing the tag 🙂 I don’t think I pictured Tom Hanks as Langdon either, but I’m not sure who I would have picked. At least they didn’t pick Tom Cruise…I love the moody male protagonist on screen so much better too! They definitely pick the hot guys for that. Oh yes, you have to know just when to say “Bless your heart” and get it right. My sister in law in CA still after 20 yrs thinks that I’m being utterly sincere when I say that to her even if I say it maybe 10 x back to back, bless her heart. I hope she is not somehow reading this….

July 20, 2017 at 8:37 PM

You’re gonna get yourself in trouble one day! LOL

I am not sure who I pictured either… a few others have suggested some actors, but I’m still on the fence.

It was a fun tag, just took me a few days to finish it! Thanks so much!!!!

Stephanie said:
        July 20, 2017 at 8:46 PM

I’m sure that I probably will but some trouble is fun! Keeps you on your toes 😁

I’m not sure either, but I always think Hanks gives a good performance as far as talent. When I’m not imagining him as Woody that is…🤣

Not a problem at all! I’m trying to catch up with awards without feeling like I’m going to overload people’s feed with award posts, lol. I’m going to space them out or it might be weird! You’re so welcome! I was glad to finally tag you! 😊

July 20, 2017 at 8:47 PM

Yes! I have one coming back at you soon, just to beware! Sorry.

Yes, for a while, Hanks was always from his movie on the island with Wilson. Then he became Woody.

Stephanie said:
        July 20, 2017 at 9:00 PM

Oh no, lol! I hope it’s one that I haven’t done yet! I’ve got 3 Liebster’s, 2 Sunshines, 2 Unique, 1 Awesome, and 1 Mystery Blogger Award to do as of right now, lol! They just kinda all happened at once….I had 2 before I went on my hiatus and then I don’t know…wham! I’m very honored to have gotten them all; I just need to get them done somehow and get about 5 ARC book reviews done too 🙂 It gives me things to post on days I don’t have reviews to post though, which is good!

I’ve watched Toy Story on a continuous loop it seems for 19 years that he’s always been Woody, lol! And my oldest was obsessed with the movie and had the talking toys…good grief! I was so happy when Bizz Lightyear’s batteries died.

July 20, 2017 at 9:02 PM

Just checked, I actually didn’t unless it was one I just send out today. But I’ll try to stay away from those if I do! ARCs! any good ones?

Buzz Lightyear!!!

Stephanie said:
        July 20, 2017 at 9:29 PM

Oh goodie, thanks!! And you didn’t send one today unless it was recent 😉

These are reviews for ones I’ve finished reading that I need to write: The Goddesess…stay away, A Stranger in the House..recommend, Emma in the Night..highly recommend, Since You’ve Been Gone…recommend. I guess I can’t count and that’s 4,lol. I have 7 books that I bought and read that I should review, but blah lol. I’m in a writing slump with everything backlogged that I’m going to take a lot of advice I’ve been getting and do mini reviews on some of them. I have the world’s worst writer’s block so it would take me til Jan to review all these, lol.

I do have ARCs to read too…The Girl in the Snow, which I saw you just reviewed, The Last Tudor if I can get into it, and The Stolen Marriage. I’m not sure how I got The Girl in the Snow either. It just appeared, lol.

Ha!! Tim Allen will forever be Buzz too…nice, now I hear the Toy Story theme song in my head! 🤣

July 21, 2017 at 7:22 AM

Girl in Snow I think was a mass email from NetGalley or the publisher. I didn’t pick it, it seems to have found me! Thanks for the heads up on some of those book. I do want to read Emma.

Stephanie said:
        July 21, 2017 at 10:57 AM

It did show up in an email from NetGalley. I remember thinking “do I have to read it? What happens if I don’t download it?” It seems to have found several of us, lol. At least it doesn’t sound like garbage.

Oh, no problem! Emma was very good and I’m going to add it to my buy list for when it releases. I really enjoyed the psychology behind the mystery and the delving into narcissism. It was very interesting! Enjoy it when you get it!

July 21, 2017 at 1:57 PM

thank you!

Stephanie said:
        July 21, 2017 at 2:01 PM

You’re welcome!

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
        July 21, 2017 at 4:50 PM

I think I’m glad I missed that mass mailing. Heh. I did not get that one from NetGalley. But I’ve been doing a lot of middle grade fiction from them lately so maybe that’s why.

July 21, 2017 at 4:51 PM

Could be!!!

karen blue said:
    July 20, 2017 at 8:57 PM

I love this post! It is so funny to see how similar we all are, with common mistakes. Thanks for sharing!

July 20, 2017 at 11:37 PM

Obviously I wasn’t the only one who skipped socializing for the sake of reading. 😀

Naty said:
    July 21, 2017 at 2:03 AM

I laughed at the “moody male protagonist”. So true!

July 21, 2017 at 3:10 AM

This is such a cool tag. I enjoyed reading it. Hope to do it soon… 😉

Zuky the BookBum said:
    July 21, 2017 at 4:07 AM

Thanks for tagging me! I actually did this one earlier in the month, here: https://bookbum.co.uk/2017/07/03/the-i-messed-up-book-tag/

I like the moody male protagonist too, but I usually prefer it in the books that on the screen haha

Phantom Paper said:
    July 21, 2017 at 7:10 AM

Yes to Robert Langdon and moody protagonist! Your post has a dash of humour to it, which I like!

July 21, 2017 at 7:11 AM

Thanks. That is me! I’m not normally known for being a funny guy, but I have a witty sarcastic tone when I write!

hsimone said:
    July 21, 2017 at 8:42 AM

Love your answers! Geez, Shakespeare in high school was rough for me. I skimmed his works and a few other novels I can’t think of right now. Not that this is an excuse, but I was a weak reader in elementary/middle school, so reading in high school was a bit more challenging because I was just beginning to understand the awesomeness of books. I don’t think I’ve skipped social plans to read a book…have I wanted to? Yes! But, haven’t done it (yet, lol).

Judy Hudgins said:
    July 21, 2017 at 9:06 AM

I have to giggle over “Bless Your Heart”. Almost 60 and born and raised in the South. There is nothing like saying “Well, bless your heart” or “Well, Hon…” and smile, when you really want to tell them to put something where the sun won’t reach it.

July 21, 2017 at 9:18 AM

Ha! I’ve luckily not been on the receiving end of those comments!

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
    July 21, 2017 at 4:51 PM

LOL.. loved your answer to the last question. I totally understand!

July 21, 2017 at 5:03 PM

I literally had to ask my husband why bless your heart wasn’t a nice thing to say. Now that he explained it to me I understand it really depends on the context it is used in.

Books, Vertigo and Tea said:
    July 22, 2017 at 12:58 PM

So many times I have been tempted skip PoV chapters when I dislike the character haha. I have yet to do so, but oh so close. Thanks for the tag because you know I fail with them and am undeserving 😉

Ann said:
    July 23, 2017 at 1:56 PM

Thanks for doing the tag! I’m just now getting to reading your answers and they are amazing! I was reading a book a few month ago and the author brought one of my favorite characters back from the dead. I loved the author for doing it, but like you said, I wanted to knock some sense into their mind.

twogalsandabook said:
    July 25, 2017 at 12:15 AM

I did not see Robert Langdon as Tom Hanks either– maybe us bookies just have a different perspective? Great post! : )

authorsinspirations said:
    August 2, 2017 at 6:13 AM

You sound like a fun person i’d be glad to befriend.