Many thanks to two great bloggers who nominated me on the same morning to participate in this fun book tag. Both ladies have fantastic blogs, so please go read them ASAP!
QUESTIONS IN THE TAG
A character appearance that you misread or imagined differently:
- I think I have a different take on Robert Langdon in Dan Brown’s books. I would not have pictured Tom Hanks.
A character name that you’ve been pronouncing wrong:
- When I read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I mispronounced a name:
- It’s ‘Vie-Ah-Let’ Bore-R-Garrr’ and not ‘Bore-Ruh-Gard’
An overused trope that is your guilty pleasure:
- Bringing characters back from the dead. It is an awesome way to surprise people, but if you do it too much, then it feels like something you always expect. It’s happened on a lot of horror things lately, and I want to slap the authors, then hug them for seeing both sides of the trope.
A cliché character type that you like better on screen than reading about:
- The moody male protagonist. In books, he often comes across as a jerk and someone you want to beat the crap out of. Then they hire some hot actor to play him, and you’re like… “Well, yeah
maybeI’d do him.”
A word/phrase you learned because of its use in a book:
- Yes, lots… especially southern expressions, such as “Bless Your Heart” is not actually a very nice thing to say to someone.
Have you ever not read or completed a required-reading book for school?
- Yes! I skimmed a few in a Shakespeare class that I had at 8am on Saturday mornings. I sometimes couldn’t catch up during the week and needed my weekends to finish reading. I had no opportunity with this course, so I had to read cliff notes to be able to say something valuable. But I always finished it afterwards.
Have you ever skipped (or wanted to) a chapter from the point of view of a character you weren’t interested in?
- Done it – No
- Wanted To – Yes
- If the book alternates between characters and there’s a major suspenseful moment, I really can’t wait to get back to that character. And go figure, that’s exactly what I built into my first novel… alternates between 5 brothers and even writing it, I’d tick myself off having to wait to go back to write the next chapter for the brother I was totally focused on.
Have you ever canceled social plans to read a book?
- Friends reading this – No, never. Now all friends, please close this post as I need to reveal a surprise gift I have for you… All shut down? Good, thanks.
- My real answer: YES! I have… a few times… made up excuses to finish a book. Sorry!!!
I’m Jay and I live in NYC. By profession, I work in technology. By passion, I work in writing. Once you hit my site “ThisIsMyTruthNow” at https://thisismytruthnow.com, you can join the fun and see my blog and various site content. You’ll find book reviews, published and in-progress fiction, TV/Film reviews, favorite vacation spots and my own version of the “365 Daily Challenge.” Since March 13, 2017, I’ve posted a characteristic either I currently embody or one I’d like to embody in the future. 365 days of reflection to discover who I am and what I want out of life… see how you compare! Feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Tell me what you think. Note: All content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators.