TAG: How I Choose My Books

Many thanks to my friend Noriko @ BookFiendSite for tagging me on this very fun game. She has a fantastic blog and was my 365 Daily Challenge Recommended Blogger last week. Go check out her site to find awesome book reviews, tags, memes, wrap ups, throwbacks and recommendations.
book

Questions

1. Find a Book on your shelves or e-reader with a blue cover. What made you want to pick up this book?

citadel.jpg

It’s the third in a trilogy that I adore, but I’ve got some ARCs and buddy reads due soon. I won’t get to it for another month. Sad.

2. Think of a book you didn’t expect to enjoy, but did. Why did you read it in the first place?

thief

The Book Thief is about the Holocaust, which is a tough subject for me to read. I kept saying no to by book club, but they were relentless, so I had to give in. It’s not in my top ten favorite books. Lessons learned. Trust your fellow book buddies who know you well.

3. Stand in front of your bookshelf with your eyes closed and pick a book at random. How did you discover this book?

circus.jpg

So many fellow Goodreaders were talking about it. Then I saw it on the bookshelf in the library of my apartment building. I snatched it up and plan to read it later this year.

4. Pick a book that someone personally recommended to you. What did you think of it?

you.jpg

Recommended as a buddy read with Medhat, a buddy from Goodreads. I loved it. Now we’re doing a buddy read this week on its sequel, Hidden Bodies.

5. Pick a book that you discovered through YouTube / Book blogs. Did it live up to the hype?

beartown.jpg

Beartown definitely lived up to the hype. It’s an amazing and powerful book that will absolutely rock your core to the point where you scream at the characters and the way people behave.

6. Find a book on your shelves or e-reader with a one-word title. What drew you to this book?

envy.jpg

Nel @ Reactionary Tales recommended it. I put it on my Book Bucket List. Now I’m planning to read it in September.

7. What book did you discover through a film / TV adaptation?

gonewind.jpg

I hadn’t realized this was a book first when I watched the movie many years ago. I wish I had read it first…

8. Think of your all-time favorite book/s. When did you read these and why did you pick them up in the first place?

great

I read this in middle school and enjoyed it, but then I read it a few more times afterwards, which is where I found a love for the characters, messages and setting. It is nearly unmatched in my opinion…

Nominees

About Me

I’m Jay and I live in NYC. By profession, I work in technology. By passion, I work in writing. Once you hit my site “ThisIsMyTruthNow” at https://thisismytruthnow.com, you can join the fun and see my blog and various site content. You’ll find book reviews, published and in-progress fiction, TV/Film reviews, favorite vacation spots and my own version of the “365 Daily Challenge.” Since March 13, 2017, I’ve posted a characteristic either I currently embody or one I’d like to embody in the future. 365 days of reflection to discover who I am and what I want out of life… see how you compare! Feel free to like, rate, comment or take the poll for each post. Tell me what you think. Note: All content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators.

65 thoughts on “TAG: How I Choose My Books

July 21, 2017 at 10:55 AM

I CANNOT WAIT until you read Envy. Just can’t wait!

July 21, 2017 at 10:59 AM

Thanks, Jay for such sweet words! Great book choice; I didn’t know you haven’t read The Night Circus!!

July 21, 2017 at 10:59 AM

Nope! Probably later this year. And you are welcome.

July 21, 2017 at 11:04 AM

I do have The Night Circus on my shelf for like 4 months… we now seem to share many books, indeed!

July 21, 2017 at 1:58 PM

yes we do

Amal said:
    July 21, 2017 at 11:04 AM

Choose as you like

E. Michael Helms, writer said:
    July 21, 2017 at 11:05 AM

Interesting observations. I’ve (sorry to say) never read Great Expectations. I will now. Thanks.
    –Michael

Stephanie said:
    July 21, 2017 at 11:54 AM

You haven’t read Gone With the Wind?? 😮💔 Travesty lol! 😊❤

July 21, 2017 at 12:25 PM

Great tag, James! Thanks for tagging me. I’m really behind on stuff, but will certainly do it. I’ve been seeing this one around! Enjoyed your answers! ❤ I still have to read most of what you chose. Have a great day!

Fight Like A YA Girl – RUN WRIGHT said:
    July 21, 2017 at 12:30 PM

[…] Thank you Jay for inviting me to share my responses to the prompts listed below. I loved being tagged but this was challenging for me because he didn’t just ask me to discuss characters from any of the hundreds of novels I’ve read. Instead, this is very specifically, about female characters from Young Adult literature, a genre I don’t read a lot of these days. But it wouldn’t be a challenge if it was easy so let’s see which girls I’ve read about that stand out in my memories. […]

theabominablebookgirl said:
    July 21, 2017 at 12:45 PM

I have heard so much about the Night Circus, the last book I heard about as much was Thone of Glass and…yuck, so I am hesitant on picking up Night Circus.

Amanda said:
    July 21, 2017 at 12:46 PM

Added a couple of these to my book list. But Gone with the Wind- ahhh, so much better than the movie, and the movie is classic. I’m probably going to have to re-read that too. Also, if you didn’t know, there is a sort of sequel to GWTW, called ‘Scarlett’ by Alexandra Ripley- she wrote it in 1991, but she did a great job (IMO) adhering to Margaret Mitchell’s writing style.

July 21, 2017 at 2:00 PM

I’m glad to help. And thanks for the heads up on the sorta sequel. I wasn’t aware. Good info!

Christy B said:
    July 21, 2017 at 1:14 PM

The only one from this list that I’ve read is Great Expectations but I loved it! 🙂

Naty said:
    July 21, 2017 at 1:20 PM

I hope you like Night Circus, I really love this book!

Esther said:
    July 21, 2017 at 1:25 PM

Enjoyed reading this. Bloggers who blogs about books is a sure way I find books. Seen some I’ll like to add to my library. Thank you 😉😃

July 21, 2017 at 2:01 PM

I’m glad to help! 🙂 Book recommendations when they are in the right niche genre fit are great!

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    July 21, 2017 at 2:15 PM

The Book Thief is amazing!! And I love Great Expectations 😀

Chauncey Rogers said:
    July 21, 2017 at 2:49 PM

Very cool tag. And I must commend you on your last answer. “Great Expectations” is a masterpiece.

Didi Oviatt - Author said:
    July 21, 2017 at 3:25 PM

Confession: I havn’t read Gone With The Wind either!
    Great tag post! 🙂

July 21, 2017 at 3:29 PM

I got stuck on your apartment building has a library! 😲

delphinethebabbler said:
    July 21, 2017 at 5:21 PM

Great Expectations (Along with David Copperfield) is one of my all time favorite classics. Dickens’ language is so beautiful – sure a little hefty, but nonetheless always delightful.
    I’m so glad to see The Night Circus here – such an enchanting read, I read it all in one day! 🙂

shalini said:
    July 22, 2017 at 9:20 AM

Envy by Sandra brown i have been told to read it too… I am thinking August

July 22, 2017 at 9:21 AM

cool! if it takes you a bit longer to get to it, we could try a buddy read later in the year.

shalini said:
        July 22, 2017 at 9:31 AM

What is buddy read??

July 22, 2017 at 9:34 AM

two or more people read a book at the same time and compare notes each day on what they think along the way

shalini said:
        July 22, 2017 at 9:35 AM

Ooh that’s cool. But you read in a couple of hours I take around a day, depending on work

July 22, 2017 at 9:36 AM

all adjustable. i can read a couple book at the same time, so we spaced it out. no pressure. will see where we end up when each starting it

shalini said:
        July 22, 2017 at 9:37 AM

That’s cool. We can do that… Let me know when you start. You are 10 hours behind me on the world clock

July 22, 2017 at 9:48 AM

will do… at least 5 to 6 week tho before I do.

July 22, 2017 at 4:13 PM

I have read (but no longer have) so many of the books you answered with. I am parking this tag to do later, for I know it will be fun!

July 22, 2017 at 4:19 PM

Oh great! I think you will enjoy this one.

August 16, 2017 at 11:42 PM

I wanted to comment on the books YOU chose to answer the tag as well.
      Books I thought were awesome: Book Thief/The Night Circus/Gone With the Wind/Great Expectations
      Books I haven’t read yet and would like to know more about IF you liked them: Citadel (At first I thought it was THE Citadel by Sinclair Lewis which I enjoyed immensely.) and Bear Town

August 17, 2017 at 7:06 AM

Citadel is different. The third in a series. Probably not until September will I read it.

Beartown… Oh! I did a review on that one. It was my favorite book this year, but it made me so angry… to think there are people like that in towns across America. Ugh! A must read, but very emotional.

Cassiopeia's Moon said:
    July 24, 2017 at 10:14 AM

Thank you so much for the nomination! I haven’t read a single of the books you mentions, and only heard of a few. The Book Thief is one I feel like I should read. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a bad review of it!

[…] wonderful! And this means I have time for blogging (and probably more energy). So I got tagged by Jay @ This Is My Truth Now a month ago for this fun tag. Thank you! I loved reading your answers! Hopefully I’ll do as […]

2nd Blog-o-versary! – MNBernard Books said:
    August 31, 2017 at 12:01 AM

[…] Ashley & Sabrina @ 5171 Miles Book Blog, Naty @ Naty’s Bookshelf, Ang @ Egg Reader, James @ This is My Truth Now, CEB & MLC @ M&C Crazy Book Blog. Everyone should check out these amazing blogs, by the […]