365 Challenge: Day 134 – Youthful

Youthful: having characteristics of the young; seeming to exist for only a short amount of time

youth.jpg

QUESTION: If you need to review the list of 365 Daily Challenge words you’ve already used prior to starting the next daily post, can you really consider yourself youthful?

• If you answered no, please hit the unfollow button, as I have some rude things to say about you. You do not want to read them. Honestly. I can be vicious.
  • If you answered yes, you’re still on my good side. Thank you.

Are there any among us who at one point in his/her life did not wish to find the Fountain of Youth? I unequivocally admit to searching for it several times during many periods of my life. Actually, I probably wished for it as recently as this morning… when I stood from the couch and heard a lovely little cracking sound in my knees, which resulted in some rather foul language, followed by a slight limp and then within 45 seconds or so, I walked normally again. I take back everything I said about growing older. It sucks. But I’m not old. As most people in my life know, though some silly birth certificate says I am 40 this year, I claim to be 30 — and most people would believe it! And if they don’t, they aren’t around anymore to debate it.

Youthful. What does it really mean? It’s certainly a highly subjective word to each of us — different depending on your age — open to change at varying points in your life. I indicated in a previous post that I am an Old-Soul, which is quite true. But I’m also quite youthful in many things I do. There are times when I am completely immature and childish in my banter and actions. Every 4 to 6 months, I feel the need to drink too much and embarrass myself in humorous situation. On occasion, I find myself acting as though I were at least a decade younger for some bizarre explanation. Why? Oh… many reasons, I’m sure. Re-capture my youth, demonstrate I am still at the top of my game, attract the attention of someone younger (keep your mind out of the gutter, I’m a happily partnered boy man).

When I look in the mirror, there are days where I see why I am 40 years old. But after the gym or a good night’s sleep, I think, “you really could pass for 30,” and I suddenly feel elated. I admit this because I know you all do it too, or did it at some point in your past, so I feel no shame. It’s why I dye my hair. I’ve been about 10% grey since I was 21-years old. I told myself I’d stop coloring at 40, which if the numbers add up correctly happens happened in 2017 2027 — but I still do it. (Good luck trying to figure out what those cross outs mean. I don’t.)

Maybe it’s vanity. Perhaps it’s the image I want to convey. Could be that I like things different all the time. Whatever the reason, it makes me feel youthful to say I’m 30. Then I see the fine lines around my eyes. I notice the slightly reduced elasticity in my skin starting to develop in a few spots throughout my body. Not that it’s actually happened. I’m only 30. If I were 40, I’d admit to it. But I do recognize my metabolism isn’t quite as fast as it formerly was… just last year, I could eat and drink anything I wanted without it causing too much of an issue. Now, three bad days in a row and my body rebels. Youth. Oh, sometimes I want you back.

When I was younger, I wasn’t as experienced at life as I am now. Today, I rock it. I’m the picture of life, at least in the dictionary. Well… my dictionary. No one else has seen it. I keep it hidden. But back then, I had no confidence. I lacked formidable decision-making skills. I was unforgiving to others because I thought I had forever to think about fixing the problem in the relationship. I’d do a few stupid things and wonder how to get myself out of the situation without any further harm. Now, I don’t give a sh*t if someone’s got a problem with who I am. Why would I want to go back to that youthful boy who dreamed of so many wondrous but impossible things? Oh, I wouldn’t… I like being my age, but I still think about that Fountain of Youth. Curious what might happen if I could do something over again and have an even better result? It could happen, or it could be far worse. Why mess with fate? What tempt the goddess who loves to play with our minds? Dim the light, you look gorgeous. Brighten it, you see the truth. But after all, this IS my truth now.

Whatever it is that you crave to go back to in your youth… know this: it happened, let it go and move on to all the intense amazement that is yet to come – that is my new philosophy. Perhaps that’s what makes me youthful. I let the stress go much more easily. I know how to enjoy myself so much more now… and that’s what makes me truly youthful. I feel young. I crawl on the floor chasing Ryder around, headbutting him and him nipping at my ears… we are buddies… we are close… we love to play. I’m part of his pack and he seems me the same no matter what my age. I might have a few aches every so often, but for the most part, I still think and act like a 20-something with the experience of a 40-something who has frequently acted like a 60-something ready for retirement. Amusing… somewhere there my math actually balances out to my exact age, doesn’t it?

What does age mean anyway? Is it simply the number of years you’ve lived? The count of rings around your waistline? How many missed goals you’ve forgotten? Is it how you look? How you feel? The way you approach risk? The ability to bounce back quickly from a night of debauchery? Or is it simply the way you live your life… forgetting to compare yourself to others because it no longer matters… allowing any fears to dissipate because it’s better to live a life full of love than one full of concern? It’s all these things rolled into one giant metaphor… and yet, I still search for that Fountain of Youth from time to time. Do I choose not to relinquish the past? Is it simply questioning how else things could have turned out?

In case you weren’t certain, there really are no answers to these questions. Some days, you will wake up thinking you are beautiful. Others, something will trigger a less than stellar reaction. Might be the pimple that formed overnight. Or missing your weight loss goal by one pound this week. Or seeing your significant other take an extra second to look at someone else when (s)he didn’t know you were looking. We all experience this and find ourselves wondering how to turn back time. Be it physical or emotional, it’s a natural reaction to want that ability to re-start or re-ignite a youthful life from years ago. It’s healthy to think about it every so often. And I can’t say for sure if I were offered an elixir what I’d be willing to relinquish in return.

But I do know that it starts with thinking and feeling youthful; without thinking and feeling you are young, you won’t ever actually be youthful. I might bitch about not being able to eat or drink as much as I once could. I will always think the grass is greener on the other side. And it is likely I will always feel a twinge of pain in my muscles when I push myself too hard. But there is something I have my own monopoly on: the sentiments and values of a youthful mind. And I will still have it even when I am 100-years old posting my 365 Daily Challenge blog… acting and looking like I’m a mere 40-years old.

How young do you feel? If I picked my age today, I’d say I am 21. And I’d believe it.

RECOMMENDED BLOGGER

• Today’s 365 Daily Challenge recommended blogger to know is Stephanie @ Novel Fiction. Stephanie and I connected a few months ago through our shared and mutual love of reading and literature. I believe it was over a few reviews I’d written on some Shakespeare classics, or I might have found a post about her being a professor… either way, I’m quite glad to know her. She is a wonderful blogger and book reviewer, who has so many books in her “Currently Reading” shelf on Goodreads, I can’t possibly keep up! But she’s one of the few people I’ve been chatting with who has as diverse reading interests as I do, probably because she’s reading everything she teaches to her students and always spending time on NetGalley receiving ARCs for her own free time (which doesn’t really exist for her).  We’ve had many conversations about how to teach English and literature to students in college these days, plus how to handle those who aren’t interested versus who are interested. We’ve also bonded over several 365 Daily Challenge words, finding new things in common and ways to help each other figure out how to blow off some steam or be happy with smaller levels of success.  I love reading comments from her, as they are always detailed, thought-provoking and incredibly integrated into the post’s purpose.  If you want to know more, which you should, so go there right now please, here’s a blurb from her About Me section:
    • “I just turned forty, am happily married to an amazing man, and have 3 wonderful kids. I also have my Master’s degree in English and Comparative Literature with specializations in British Literature, Cultural Studies, and Rhetoric and Composition from The University of  North Carolina at Chapel Hill and a minor in History. I’m a senior college professor and have been teaching British, American, and Contemporary literature for 15 years and am currently attending online classes to finish my Ph.D. in English Literature with a concentration in Literary and Cultural Studies and Linguistics and Literature. Balancing my family, teaching, and school is a crazy ride for sure! At times, I feel like I’m living out some wild, fictional storyline but no, that’s just my life, and I love every moment of it!!”

74 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 134 – Youthful

Nthato Morakabi said:
    July 24, 2017 at 5:33 AM

Oi you just addressed my worst fear: Growing Old. Already there are some things I can’t do that a couple of years ago were easy. Like sitting cross-legged without my hips thinking I’m in an advanced Yoga-Class.

July 24, 2017 at 7:06 AM

I understand. Sometimes more exercise and stretching. Sometimes it give up and try something else!

roseelaineblog said:
    July 24, 2017 at 5:59 AM

I can’t lie when I reached the big 60 in January of this year it did seem a little weird 😬 But it was exciting too, I feel proud that I’ve come through some pretty dark times and had so much joy too. I feel excited about the future. My late father used to say to me “don’t get old Elaine, there’s nothing good about getting old” I used to reply well we can’t stop it happening, that’s life Dad and it is.

Age is but a number, our attitude makes all the difference and trust me when you reach 60 you won’t feel any older and instead of worrying about a spot on your face you exchange it for an ache in your knee 😉

July 24, 2017 at 7:07 AM

I understand. I am mostly fine with it in my head. Try to laugh. But I’m glad you have a positive attitude too!

roseelaineblog said:
        July 24, 2017 at 7:08 AM

It’s the only way to be James 😀 it makes for an easier life 🌹

declutteringmylifeweb said:
    July 24, 2017 at 6:03 AM

When I was younger, I used to have false conceptions about people and society. That’s why some of my former joys and worries seems so irrevelant when looking back on them.

July 24, 2017 at 7:08 AM

Only experience and age can change things like that sometimes, I suppose. Sometimes negative but sometimes positive.

Robin @The Robin's Nest said:
    July 24, 2017 at 6:05 AM

Oh James….you’re still a baby! You know you may be onto a new mindset track 40 the new 20!! I keep telling myself that 50ish is the new 40! Still having a difficult time convincing myself it’s the new 30 haha! Yep getting old SUCKS!

Nobody and I mean nobody told me what to expect when getting older. Weight loss?? HA! More like instant weight gain – super glue kind especially around the waistline!! Aches and pains? oh these aches and pains – I didn’t know eyebrows could hurt! And being a woman -with the body changes? that’s a whole new subject/topic to cover and let’s not go there!

Ok maybe I’m being a little dramatic but one thing is for sure – it is hard getting older both mentally and physically. I, like you have my really wonderfully perfectly good days – but those horribly, terrible, not so good days are the ones that gets to me.

I like to think I can still do certain activities or still be the “cool” mom – now I have to deceive my grandkids into thinking I’m the cool Nana – hahaha. I have come to the realization that I now have certain limits and it really bites.

Thanks for a fun read 🙂 Have a great day!!

July 24, 2017 at 7:11 AM

You are welcome. 🙂 maybe the rule is you can only ever look or feel ten years younger — as an average. Some days better but some days worse.

Acceptance makes it a little easier. I’m sure you are the cool nana. If you think it then you probably put out that energy too.

I appreciate the share and comments!

July 24, 2017 at 7:17 AM

I’m 28 and the more I wake up at 6am every day, the older I feel. Like right now, I really would like to go back to bed but I’m at work because responsibilities and all that. Adulting is awesome some days and sucks the next, lol.

July 24, 2017 at 7:18 AM

What a true statement about adulting!!!

July 24, 2017 at 7:20 AM

Hope it’s a fun day at work today.

July 24, 2017 at 7:21 AM

We’re still in the slow season so it will probably be boring more than anything, lol. My brain needs to wake up so I can write my own blog post!

July 24, 2017 at 7:54 AM

Perfectly said! Although I am half way to 90, I feel better than ever! I am in better shape than I was in my 20s, have more wisdom, confidence and knowledge! Although I am trying to embrace the fine lines and few platinum hairs, I would not go back in time for anything!

July 24, 2017 at 7:56 AM

I’ve just decided since I don’t have any siblings, you are my sister. It would make sense… so many similarities… a few differences. OK, I’ve said. I’m a long-lost twin, separated somehow… and now we’re reconnecting. 🙂

July 24, 2017 at 8:03 AM

OK… Get out of my head! Just yesterday, when I was talking to wifey about you, she said, “Hon, you have always said that you feel like you and your twin were mixed up at birth. I think Jay is your soul twin! ” My twin and I have nothing, I mean nothing in common. He, like my mom, do not choose to be a part of my life….😢I am happy to have found my real twin! ☺️

July 24, 2017 at 8:11 AM

Aww… I’m invasive like that wisteria. 🙂 How life throws us such surprises. More comments to come elsewhere.

Patty said:
    July 24, 2017 at 9:14 AM

Love this post. I will be 25 forever!!!!! That is my favorite age. Sometimes I act 12, but who cares. This is why I am the favorite Aunt for my brothers kids. Just ask them and they will tell you Aunt Patty is the best. 🙂 They even fight to be my favorite, but I just tell them I love them all the same.

July 24, 2017 at 9:25 AM

It’s good to be the favorite, and as long as you’re having fun and no one gets hurt, it’s all good! 🙂 Thanks for sharing. Yay.

July 24, 2017 at 9:29 AM

I’m thinking 60 is the new 40, in which case I am 42, although some days I feel like 82 especially the day after I act like 32 and start pulling up the weeds in the yard for 3 hours straight. Nice post!

Sherron0 said:
    July 24, 2017 at 9:51 AM

I pride myself on accepting growing up while maintaining that attitude of Can-Do that is such a marker of youth. And fun. I’m never letting go of the fun. But as you point out, there are plenty of advantages to having lived through experiences and learned from them

Stephanie said:
    July 24, 2017 at 11:15 AM

Thanks for the very sweet shout out Jay! Everything you said about me was so very kind!! Its been so nice getting to know you and share with you so many common interests beyond just reading a good fiction book! And I’m so glad I was your person on “Younger” lol! I tell myself all the time 40 is the new 20. It’s definitely only a number. But funny how it can sneak in your head and tell you that you are old some days! Today I’m 25…we will see tomorrow, lol ❤😂

July 24, 2017 at 1:30 PM

You are welcome. 25 is a good age!!! Do you watch the show Younger?

Stephanie said:
        July 24, 2017 at 1:49 PM

25 is a good age! No, I don’t but I have seen the previews. It looks interesting!

July 24, 2017 at 2:00 PM

I like it a lot. Worth a chance.

Stephanie said:
        July 24, 2017 at 2:01 PM

I’ll have to look for it! Is it on cable? Everything seems to be on Netflix now, lol that I have to ask! 🙂

July 24, 2017 at 2:02 PM

Tv LANd

Stephanie said:
        July 24, 2017 at 2:20 PM

I’ve never watched anything on there…I’m looking now!

July 24, 2017 at 3:15 PM

Cool

Stephanie said:
        July 24, 2017 at 3:28 PM

I found it On Demand-Season 3 and 4, lol. I guess I would miss a lot without the 1st 2 seasons?

July 24, 2017 at 4:31 PM

Yes. You definitely need to watch in order. Oh 😦

Stephanie said:
        July 24, 2017 at 4:45 PM

I’ll keep checking! A lot of times they put all the seasons on at the end or start of a new season for new viewers to catch up! 😊 Good way to get new viewers!! I’ll check on Hulu too!

July 24, 2017 at 4:59 PM

True. First season is my favorite as it sets up all the drama Good luck!

Stephanie said:
        July 24, 2017 at 5:01 PM

Oh yes! Gotta have all the drama! Thanks! I’ll definitely keep my eye out 😊

Run Wright said:
    July 24, 2017 at 12:20 PM

I really like Schmidt’s character from New Girl. I see myself in a lot of his experiences.
    Some days, I really feel old and other days, I can’t recall where the years went.
    I am going to make the most of today.

inspirationpie said:
    July 24, 2017 at 12:23 PM

I just turned 49… I definitely do not feel my age! In fact, when someone tells me they are 45 I think, yep, you’re a few years older haha. I think I’m in my mid thirties or so and I love chasing my dog around too!

Hey, did you see this article? I thought you might find it interesting https://janefriedman.com/self-publishing-debut-literary-novel/

Jo-Ann

Kiersten said:
    July 24, 2017 at 12:38 PM

Personally, I consider myself more like an old lady than youthful 😂

Didi Oviatt - Author said:
    July 24, 2017 at 2:35 PM

OMG I’ll be 33 NEXT WEEK!! I don’t know how to handle this, I think I’m entering some sort of pre-midlife-crisis.. I’ve ordered anti-wrinkle creams and everything

July 24, 2017 at 3:13 PM

I could write a whole post on this!!! I feel younger now than when I was younger! I definitely don’t feel like I’m almost 38! Someone told me they thought I was 23 not long ago so I can go with that! 😀

Tag: The TBR Tag – Diary of a Bookfiend said:
    July 24, 2017 at 4:45 PM

[…] Jay@This Is My Truth Now […]

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
    July 24, 2017 at 5:06 PM

What a great post! I turned 41 this year and honestly, the only time I really think about my actual age is if I’m asked and on my birthday. Otherwise, I certainly don’t feel 41. Part of that is the nature of one of my mental illnesses. It keeps the childlike wonder alive. I still see the beauty in the rainbow that forms in oil puddles. I still love children’s literature and children’s movies.

Most people tell me that I don’t look my age, even when I’m not dyeing my hair purple. I definitely have some grey/silver in my hair, but they’ll still say I look like I’m in my 20s. I’m okay with that! I do wish some days that my body didn’t have as many aches and pains, but even those are minor.

While I was that child who never wanted to grow up, I don’t wish to go back to my teens or 20s. My 20s were actually some of the worst years of my life so I definitely don’t want to relive those. I’m happy being where I am as far as age goes. I don’t feel 41 and that’s all that really matters. 🙂

July 24, 2017 at 5:17 PM

Thank you. I hear what your saying! There is an upside for you to dealing with the issues. Love the purple! Another online friend has purple in her hair too! Our 40s do seem like a great decade.

July 24, 2017 at 6:55 PM

I don’t know if it comes as a surprise of not, but I’ve just turned 43 (hahaaa) and I actually don’t mind my age at all. You see, Japanese people especially women look much younger for their age *smirk*
    Anyways, I am actually embracing my age now… funny thing is that, my friend and I were talking about how grown-up and mature we have become than we were in our early 20s. Of course, it would be fantastic if we got to keep our skin elastic like forever, without having to worry about our crow’s feet… but it’s something comes with age. I think that’s something you fight against but embrace it and celebrate the years you have gone through. Great post, as always! 😉

July 24, 2017 at 6:57 PM

sorry, it’s *not*something you fight against it but embrace it .
      Typo…

July 24, 2017 at 7:18 PM

Shocker of the day. I thought you were in your 20s. You sounded mature but I for some reason thought you were younger than 43. Now I need a picture. 🙂

July 24, 2017 at 7:21 PM

Hahaha! Is it THAT shocking? lol Oh, come on, you can see my pics either on Goodreads or Instagram lol (very few and edited though lol)

July 24, 2017 at 9:12 PM

I just checked again… to be sure… definitely look younger, but it’s not a clear photo, so I probably didn’t realize it at first. Are we connected on Instagram? I can’t find you now.

July 24, 2017 at 9:13 PM

Hahahaa lol
        Btw, yes, we are connected on Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/norinbooks_76/
        here you go

July 24, 2017 at 9:15 PM

thx, kept searching noriko!!!

July 24, 2017 at 9:16 PM

lol No wonder you cannot find me!

July 24, 2017 at 9:17 PM

I did now and saw some cute posts!

July 24, 2017 at 9:17 PM

Thx 🙂

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    July 25, 2017 at 10:00 AM

hehe well I’d better hit the unfollow button- JK! JK!! You’re only as young as you feel and I’m a big child at heart 😀 Great topic!

TAG: I’m A Rockstar #Tag | BrizzleLass Books said:
    July 25, 2017 at 12:03 PM

[…] Jay @ This Is My Truth Now […]

July 28, 2017 at 7:54 PM

I still flirt like I’m 22……