365 Challenge: Day 142 – Yield

Yield: give way to arguments, demands, or pressure

yeidl

It’s Monday evening. I’ve just completed every open tag and award sitting in my draft folder. Please don’t hate me. I am not bragging. I am just documenting it so my head can acknowledge it. Between the weekend and today, it added up to over twenty (20) posts. I thought I’d space them out over the week, but after I finish writing them all up, I’m too excited to release them. I also want to see zero items in my draft folder. I need to know that I’m all caught up. If you read any of the “Who am I” tag responses, you’ve probably already figured out that little tidbit about me. And that’s why the 365 Daily Challenge word of the day will be ‘yield.’ I officially yield to the WordPress Gods and Goddesses… no more posts today… except this one, which should be done in about 30 minutes. I HOPE!

As a brief aside… if you tagged me or nominated me in the last few months, and you don’t see a reply post, please let me know. I think I caught them all, but sometimes if I don’t get the ping-back, I might have missed it even when reading your post. Sometimes I don’t look at who a person nominates, assuming I’ll get a ping-back. It’s not 100% effective, but it helps save a bit of time to focus on the real content when trying to stay on top of it all. I had to yield to something… finding mini short-cuts is critical to survival.

I can now breathe a sigh of relief before I begin this evening’s top priority activity: planning the North Carolina trip for mid-September. I’m excited to go on the trip, but not excited to plan the trip. I’ve never been a trip planner, mostly because I plan everything else in my life… this is an area I want someone else to do all the work. Last year, I planned a two week trip to Italy — like a professional — I honestly put at least 100 hours into the planning aspects. I should sell this itinerary. I think it wiped me out from ever wanting to do it again. I fully need to yield to the travel Gods and Goddesses to not force me to plan this trip. Please. No. Not right. Whine Whine Whine.

But I need to be fair, which means W and I need to split the responsibilities. He booked two hotels and sent me some links to other hotels for the rest of the trip. I will work on those tonight, as well as finalize all the flights and car rental. I can compromise. I don’t have to yield to the travel-planning paralyzing fear of getting sucked into the vortex vacuum of too much research. Thinking about planning trips makes me wonder how everyone else goes about planning vacations? Are you focused on getting everything organized or do you like to wing it? Just curious… that’s not really the point of today’s purpose. Maybe I’m procrastinating so I don’t have to open a new browser tab and Google shit…  by the way, I started telling my friends and family when they ask me questions… “I don’t know. Google that shit.” People tend to think I’m a walking encyclopedia. I’m not. I’m losing more data in my brain day by day as I grow more and more old crazy busy relaxed. I hope I don’t lose anything important, like how to pour my wine in a glass before I drink it. Or to buy very cheap wine. That would be bad.

When I think about the word ‘yield,’ I often associate it within giving up. I am wrong. It’s not giving up. It’s choosing to do things a better way. For instance… I wanted to write all day, but I had too many items in my draft folder and on my to-do list. So I took the sign literally and let myself yield to someone who knew better — Me! This enabled me to get everything else done today, giving myself a full 8-hour day tomorrow where I can focus on writing chapters 4 and 5 for Father Figure.

I promise to stay off social media and the Internet, so if you don’t see me for most of the day, don’t worry. If you do see me, yell at me — I fully condone any and all efforts to stop me (taser gun included if you can find me or a gun… and if you find both, please don’t aim somewhere that either hurts or causes me to involuntarily pee… that wouldn’t be fun for me. maybe you. NOT me!) — until I get off the Internet and focus on the novel. It’s important to give myself parameters in order to accomplish everything. And sometimes I yield to how my brain feels or what energy level I have, rather than do something because I planned it that way. Today was one of those decisions.

So whether you’re walking through your day, or you’re walking through an intersection, this might be the most important sign you ever follow. You know yourself better than anyone else knows you — no matter what anyone else says. Sure, sometimes you miss a few clues. Often you’re too stubborn to listen to what your body is saying. But deep down, the truth is there and you can find it. Listen a little more closely and yield when it feels appropriate. It might make you feel a whole lot better to re-plan rather than be frustrated the original idea didn’t work. I know it’s helped me the last few days, especially with clearing my plate and my mind enough that I can meet all my goals for the week. How about you? What are you going to yield to this week?

RECOMMENDED BLOGGER

• Today’s 365 Daily Challenge recommended blogger to know is Vanessa @ Food in Books. Vanessa and I met about two months ago when I stumbled upon a post she had written where she combines a book she’s read with cooking an elaborate meal that has a strong connection to the story. We started talking about different books, and she kept pointing me to prior posts she’d written already that had a recipe and a review. I was so amazed at the great variety and wonderful photos in all her book reviews. Recipes are included. Pictures of the book. Pictures along the cooking process — step by step. We’re even considering doing a joint / buddy book read and recipe post. How fun would that be? Vanessa is very friendly, has so many great ideas and interacts frequently with her followers. I really think you’d love to read her reviews and recipes, as it’s definitely not something I’ve seen a lot of… and her site makes you want to read and cook immediately. If you don’t believe me, you can read more in the About Me section I copied below and then go visit her site.
    • “I’m Vanessa, and welcome to my blog. If you’re a fellow bookworm and foodie, you’ve come to the right place. I really feel that cooking is an act of love, and as I have progressed with this blog, I’ve come to know myself in a way I hadn’t previously. I’ve opened my home, and heart, to many people in the process of cooking and writing, and it’s made me a better person for it.As well, reading is something that is in my blood. I can’t imagine a world without books. Books have saved me so many times, have helped me travel, have expanded my worldview, and have often been a source of therapy and comfort. Combining my two great loves of cooking and reading has inspired me to expand my own horizons, in both the books I read and the food I cook. I’m happy you’ve stopped by, and please check back each week to see the latest book and food combination. And feel free to send me your suggestions about books and the food described in them, and I’ll try them out!”

64 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 142 – Yield

August 1, 2017 at 7:13 AM

Taser ready!😉

Kiersten said:
    August 1, 2017 at 7:23 AM

I love planning trips! I love looking up restaurants, shops, daily activities…all that tedious stuff. I enjoy (or obsessively feel the need to?) planning things to death. We’re going on a trip to visit my best friend in Sept and I’m already planning all the places we’re going to check out. I can’t wait. 🙂

BookDragonGirl said:
    August 1, 2017 at 7:39 AM

I’m a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl myself! I like to just let the chips fall where they may! 😃

August 1, 2017 at 7:53 AM

The planning sounds like a pain, but just think about all the fun you’ll have! How exciting. Staying off the internet is also something I need to work on. With social media, and Goodreads, it’s easy to get nothing done in an entire day! LOL. ❤ I love Vanessa and her blog and I'm so happy she's back! have a great day. 😉

August 1, 2017 at 8:03 AM

Setting priority is very important and I think I can guess what ‘yielding’ in this post means (I think…). I might be like you, I need to get things done before I set out doing what I really love (like reading obviously). Otherwise, I cannot focus. The thought of ‘I gotta do this, I gotta do that…’ keeps crawling in the front of my head no matter how many times I shove it back.

August 1, 2017 at 3:26 PM

it’s hard… to balance and maintain, but sometimes you have to draw the boundaries. I agree.

cwhiteweb said:
    August 1, 2017 at 8:07 AM

“please don’t aim somewhere that either hurts or causes me to involuntarily pee…”
    Tell me James, which part of your body doesn’t hurt when it’s shot? And how strong is your bladder cause if you are tased long enough, you will piss your pants. And that will, unfortunately, be funny! 😀
    I think I yield to myself too much sometimes. I’ll admit that. Something to work on. Maybe I should start keeping lists too!

August 1, 2017 at 3:28 PM

yes, keep some lists!!!

I suppose I would hurt wherever I got tased, but I didn’t want it in one specific area. And I’ve never been tased, so I am not sure if I’d automatically pee. I suppose I would…. yikes, what a conversation!
      it would be funny, tho, i do have to agree.

cwhiteweb said:
        August 1, 2017 at 3:50 PM

Hahaha it would be something else!
        Given the kind of person I am, this is precisely why I’d never consider owning a taser. I fear I’d tase myself to feel the pain I’d be inflicting on the next person. And then pee. Not cool, at all 😀🙈

August 1, 2017 at 4:49 PM

no not cool but you must promise if you do buy one, you have to video it

cwhiteweb said:
        August 1, 2017 at 11:37 PM

😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 look at that!! The not cool song changed so quickly! Morning made😀

August 1, 2017 at 11:45 PM

yayaya

August 1, 2017 at 8:32 AM

You know I planned 90% of my vacation….so you know where I stand with that. But now I’m in the post vacation spot of playing catch up….I’m yielding to making plans until I catch up. Hope the signs are in your favor!

August 1, 2017 at 8:41 AM

Google that shit. I say the same thing! Google has all the answers these days. I plan trips but mostly to the extent of finding the best, cheapest deal. I usually don’t pack for said trip until like 2 days or sometimes the night before I’m supposed to leave for said trip. I agree with BookDragonGirl. Besides yielding when I cross a street or that two seconds after a light turns green (cause people like to run red lights too much) I’m fly by the seat of my pants.

August 1, 2017 at 3:29 PM

seems to be split down the middle. I have 5 cities to see, so I need some sort of plan. middle road, i think!

and of course you do say that! LOL

August 1, 2017 at 10:43 AM

I plan the getting to and from and where to stay but the rest I kind of leave open. One or two activities maybe but the rest of the time is winging it.

MoJo said:
    August 1, 2017 at 3:17 PM

If at any point there is a follow up “involuntary pee” blog post, please tag me. I’m laughing just thinking about it. Oh Jay. You are too much. You need a vacay so much. Your poor typing hands are going to go up in smoke if you don’t give them a break. And I plan and wing it. I have some must do’s on the list, and then I leave space for “shit that I googled” while I was there. 😂

August 1, 2017 at 3:34 PM

OMG, thank you for the laugh. I stayed off the internet from 9 until 4:30… just checking messages now and reading everything. You totally busted me up right now! No taser today! So no involuntary peeing either. But the day isn’t over.

MoJo said:
        August 1, 2017 at 3:37 PM

Damn! Well there’s always tomorrow. :))))

August 1, 2017 at 3:20 PM

You know this got me thinking because I didn’t think we had a Yield sign over here but I just Googled it 😉 and we do! But they prefer to use the more common Give Way sign which is why I’ve never seen one!
    Anyway, I love planning trips, someone recently called me a travel agent when I planned a fake trip for her characters to take in her book for her! One of my favourite things to do is plan trips I can’t possibly afford, which makes me really excited and then really grumpy! But I am brilliant at it! Hubs hates it though, when we are planning a trip he prefers to just go away and see how the mood takes him whereas I have everything planned so it’s always a countdown to who cracks first! We are away in December and I am already planning!
    Staying off the internet isn’t really a problem for me, but I’m really struggling balancing blog Vs writing. Which one gets the most time and if it’s writing I need to cut some stuff on the blog, it’s tough.
    I really hope you got your writing done today, I managed to spin out a chapter today so I feel like it’s a good writing day. 😊

August 1, 2017 at 3:38 PM

Congrats on the chapter. Not on driving the hubs crazy tho. it’s hard, but sometimes the blog has to be cut up a bit!!! I might need to push you there as I push myself. I did get 1 chapter done today! And I’m glad you know the yield sign in case that 1 in England ever actually crosses your path. Love the fake trip idea!

August 1, 2017 at 3:48 PM

So maybe we need to be each others coaches then. Make sure we focus on the writing! So glad you got a chapter done today, you can have a glass of wine now! See I’m a great coach, rewarding you already!

August 1, 2017 at 4:48 PM

Ha! You’re too easy with the rewards! LOL Plus I’m giving up drinking for 2 weeks so I can wear a bathing suit at the beach which I really dislike but enjoy the company and the relaxation so I’ll go but I’ll be miserable from not drinking until I get there and have a drink, assuming the suit fits or I will have my own fit. 🙂 That’s the coach you want? lol

yes… so get to work… you need another one by Friday! Go Go Go! I’m a mean coach. Maybe then you can have a reward. LOL

August 1, 2017 at 5:51 PM

Oh I can be mean aswell, and hey you’re going to the beach and that means beach reads! 😎

OK if Friday is my target, it’s your target aswell! Check in tomorrow! 📝

August 1, 2017 at 8:18 PM

Good plan

MoJo said:
      August 1, 2017 at 3:38 PM

You have “Give Way” signs? That is so fabulous. I wish we had “Shove Off!” signs. Wouldn’t that be great to pull up to an intersection that had that on it? 😉

August 1, 2017 at 3:50 PM

Yes at intersections we have Give Way or Stop, give way means we can just pull out of the road is clear without coming to a full stop, but in reality you need to stop to check the road is clear so it’s a bit stupid! 😂

MoJo said:
        August 1, 2017 at 3:51 PM

Awesome!

August 1, 2017 at 3:56 PM

BTW you’re comment totally made my day! 😉

MoJo said:
        August 1, 2017 at 3:59 PM

😉

August 1, 2017 at 4:49 PM

thanks for this laugh

Run Wright said:
    August 2, 2017 at 11:40 AM

“Yield means choosing to do things a better way.” I love that line!

August 2, 2017 at 1:38 PM

As you know from my blog, http://powerfulwomenreaders.wordpress.com , I am yielding up some things in my life. But, this is not a sign of quitting or giving up! It is only making room for other things.

twogalsandabook said:
    August 6, 2017 at 7:41 AM

Nice post James! It is important sometimes to yield (though, what that means can be different to each of us). And thanks for the link to Vanessa’s blog– that sounds right up my alley, and will definitely check her out! I hope you are having a great weekend!

August 6, 2017 at 8:26 AM

You are welcome. She’s a great blogger for books and cooking. Weekend is good, thanks. And you?

twogalsandabook said:
        August 6, 2017 at 9:23 AM

Yes, her blog looks very interesting, and eager to try some of the recipes! : ) My weekend has been nice. Yesterday we went to a “meet & greet” for my new grandson– even though I already “knew” him (his picture is the one on the blog), I like to be there for all these things. : ) Now, trying to get caught up on the posts of the blogs I follow…. I got on the email and there were over 1,000 awaiting me today. I was like “WHAT????” So back to the business of all that. X D

August 6, 2017 at 9:27 AM

good! but that’s so many emails. I know the feeling, massive overwhelming! congrats on the new addition.

shalini said:
    August 7, 2017 at 8:12 AM

Lucky you , I haven’t done any and can’t seem to find any energy to do any in the near future

August 7, 2017 at 8:13 AM

what’s this evil force zapping you I need to body slam?

shalini said:
        August 7, 2017 at 8:21 AM

Jay it’s all emotional… I dont do emotions and the past just decided to send me on a roller coaster of emotions. Fed up fed up fed up of my memories

August 7, 2017 at 8:23 AM

I understand. All I can do is say I’m sending you some strength and growth in a positive direction thru this post. And maybe a smile. That helps too!

shalini said:
        August 7, 2017 at 8:27 AM

Yes I loved all your posts congratulations on all your awards. You have so much positivity that people in the virtual world just gravitate to you. Thank you for all your good wishes. At this point of my life I am totally confused about everything so that’s why I’m being quiet in the virtual world

August 7, 2017 at 8:29 AM

Take the time you need. Always bring it back to something that highlights an inner peace. You are alive, have choices an owe it to yourself to enjoy it. The past stays in the past. Revisit it every so often but only as the motivation you need to propel your future.

shalini said:
        August 7, 2017 at 8:32 AM

Jay, It took me 3 weeks of emotional torture to shut the past. I asked the guy to stay with me or let me go, there was no answer, I walked off it took me so much time to come to an even keel and then I get a message and I am back to square 1.how can I go back and forth on the same thing. I have many responsibilities and this thing is sucking me dry.

August 7, 2017 at 8:34 AM

Tough one, and not sure I can even properly say much knowing just a little bit, nor even on this small chat platform. Ultimately, if you let it suck you dry, you will end up with what feels like nothing left for too long a time. You have to find a way to focus on yourself, even if its keeping an arm’s length and finding a way to deal with the in between, if that makes any sense. But I’m not there going thru what you’re going thru. I just want it to be better for you.

shalini said:
        August 7, 2017 at 8:36 AM

I did that jay, sent a message across that his messages are doing my head in and I can’t deal with it. Saying is easy, dealing with memories is tough

August 7, 2017 at 8:39 AM

i understand. hugs!

vinnieh said:
    August 10, 2017 at 9:19 AM

I can be particularly stubborn at times, but I’m not above yielding a little.

August 10, 2017 at 9:21 AM

sometimes you have to find the right balance, a little give and take … in many ways…

vinnieh said: