365 Daily Challenge: Day 145 – Void

Void: (a) completely empty space, or (b) not valid or legally binding

id

In the space where there should be a 365 Daily Challenge post today, you will unfortunately find a big black hole known as the void. The idea, courtesy of Roda @ Growing Self, was created due to the complete lack of any true creativity still remaining inside of the brain of the owner and operator of the ThisIsMyTruthNow blog. You know him as either Jay or James. He’s often accused of having multiple personalities, so if you ever pick up on that, no need to be alarmed. For the most part, they are all generally good guys, except #7. Roda calls them the clones, and she’s determined that #7 specifically is a little wonky. Unfortunately, I am not permitted to meet any of these personalities/clones, given one of the rules is that we can’t co-exist in the same location at the same time. The mandates are quite complex, and my mind is not capable of sorting it all out, at least with the minimal amount of juice the brain has retained recently. Supposedly, if we did meet, there might be a bit of a cataclysmic event occurring in NYC.

I spent another six hours writing chapter 5 of Father Figure, and I’m quickly learning it’s one or the other when it comes to quality. After writing fiction for that long, I’m too exhausted to maintain any sort of witty or clever voice in these 365 posts. And if I write the post first, I find the voice in the novel isn’t as clear as I need it to be. I’ll work it out, but in the meantime, there might be a few days where I have a void inside my head instead of a brain. And in those times, I wonder whether it might be a cool idea to have a guest blogger takeover the 365 Daily Challenge for a day. Could be fun to get someone else’s perspective on the whole way I handle this theme. It would have to be someone I know well enough who could speak a little bit about me, though the blog wouldn’t be the normal 365 post. It would include a little introspection covering both of us, but completely up to the blogger in control for the word of the day and how it relates to us. Maybe it could even be a weekly idea on Mondays where it’s the “365 Daily Challenge brought to you by…”

Which brings me to the other definition of void. I apparently made this contract back on March 13th where I said I would post for 365 days about a personality trait or characteristic I either embody or want to have. Maybe one of the clones or personalities actually made this agreement, but I’m legally responsible per the terms upon discussion with my attorney. {Aside: The attorney is my significant other, who likes to remind me everything I say aloud is a formal agreement in his eyes. How is this fair?} I’ve followed the rules for 144 days, but would this guest post idea void that original contract? I certainly don’t want to get in trouble with any bad karma or juju for not doing what I said I’d do. Nor any legal action, though I’m not certain who it is that would allege the case against me. Can a clone sue me? Wait, can you sue yourself? Could Father Time (not Father Figure) exact revenge in the 365 momentum? Is that a real thing? These are the questions that weigh most on my mind right now.

I already have enough things to fight off in my life, don’t need to add another worry to the list. So it will keep going; however, I’m very much intrigued by this guest post thing — thanks to the lovely Linda @ Maine Paper Pusher who has a similar idea. I’m not stealing it. I might borrow the concept of another blogger participating on my blog, bound tightly together by the 365 Daily Challenge rules, bringing depth and exploration of our thoughts and emotions to the surface. And I owe Linda my own post for her Guest in Jest series at some point, as I said I’d participate and I very excited about it. Go check out her site… and don’t worry if you don’t today, she’ll be a Recommended Blogger later this month. Already on the list, but thought I’d give you a heads up here.

I’ve already got a 365 topic for Saturday, and on Sunday, I start the next 5 week list focusing on careers I’ve held in the past. There’s a few interesting ones I don’t know that everyone would expect, but will hopefully amuse everyone. Another way to incorporate today’s word is to acknowledge that I’m aVOIDing this entire post by choosing the easy way out. Contrary to the lovely graphic above this paragraph, sometimes the brain just doesn’t wanna work. We’ve all been there. It’s not like we can be on or online 24/7, cause that’s a lot of time to constantly be awake, alert, aware and able to generate fantastic content. I shoot for a 50% ratio: 50% good, 49% failure and 1% epic failure. It’s still marginally on the equal side, even if epic drags it down a little bit more than I’d like. So… what have we learned today:

1. A void in the head means none in the heart: I still love you all.
  2. I am not legally allowed to void the 365 Daily Challenge contract. And despite my theory that all rules are meant to be broken, this one is worse than trying to get honey off your finger tips — or the faucet when you’re finally done scrubbing up.
  3. A void is not necessarily a bad place to wind up, assuming you wisely use the blank time for the greater good of the future. A break from listening to me whine.
  4. Roda will be singing “If I only had a brain” to me all day today based on our discussion yesterday evening. I take comfort in knowing I’m not the only one who gets that song stuck in his/her head from time to time.
  5. While a void means completely empty, it’s probably not something I can actually apply to myself. As I’ve managed to babble on for a few hundred words, which means there is still something rattling around among the cobwebs. See what 6+ hours of sleep can do for you?

And as I was doing a final check on this post, a void actually appeared in my head again. In September, I will be on vacation for two weeks, which is great. But how do I handle the 365 Daily Challenge? It’s the first time I’ve gone away for more than 3 days since starting this blog series nearly six months ago. Do I pre-plan 15 posts, which is A LOT of work? Do I go on a temporary hiatus, but again, does that break the rules? Does a guest take over and run rampant on This Is My Truth Now? Oh… it hurts… I need to go back to sleep and aVOID thinking about this.

RECOMMENDED BLOGGER

• Today’s 365 Daily Challenge recommended blogger to know is Betty @IdahoBlueBird50. Betty Louise and I met about 3 months ago through her WordPress blog and her Goodreads book reviews. She has a love of cozy mystery novels just as much as (if not more than) I do. We have shared numerous book reviews with one another, finding new authors to research and bringing back memories of books read many years ago. I also thought at one point in time we might be related as when I learned her last name, it matched one in my family who lived in a state near hers. In the end, I don’t think we are, but it was a wonderful potential connection. Betty’s on multiple social media sites — you must check out her different profiles, especially once you realize how tech savvy she’s become even though she won’t admit it! She’s a wonderful woman to share a few thoughts with on recent cozy mysteries and has been very open with sharing parts of her life and things she’s witnessed in her 8 decades. If you don’t believe me, check out her very detailed About Me section, which I’ve included below:
    • “Member of Netgalley. Senior Citizen and been reading and sharing my thoughts on books most of my life. I read for my pleasure. I have been married for 60 years and we have a Bengal Cat, Kato. Interests include reading, dogs, cats, gardening, knitting, crocheting. I have a strong interest in North American native plants. A word on my reviews. Books review are from my public library, brought, many from Netgalley, a few from Edelweiss, occasionally from an author or from friends. The opinions are my own. I represent no publisher, author or another source​. My reviews can be found on Amazon, Tumblr, Goodreads, Google+. I have no Facebook or Twitter accounts. Thanks for reading my blog.”

I’m Jay and I live in NYC. By profession, I work in technology. By passion, I work as a writer. My first novel, Watching a Glass shatter, is currently in reviews with literary agents and publishers. My second novel, Father Figure, is being written with a target to send to the publisher in December, 2017. But I’ve always been a reader. And now I’m a daily blogger. I decided to start my own version of the “365 Daily Challenge” where since March 13, 2017, I’ve posted a characteristic either I currently embody or one I’d like to embody in the future. 365 days of reflection to discover who I am and what I want out of life.

61 thoughts on “365 Daily Challenge: Day 145 – Void

August 4, 2017 at 7:46 AM

Clever “aVOIDing”. My brain is a void when I first wake up cause all I want to do is go back to sleep. I think you have a great idea brewing which I’ve already told you. Also, if you feel like scheduling 15 posts, well, good on you cause I wouldn’t. It’s called a vacation for a reason. I don’t think anyone would blame you for taking a hiatus. 🙂

August 4, 2017 at 7:46 AM

hehe… I’m just concerned that it’s “365” so how does it look without a post a day!

August 4, 2017 at 7:47 AM

Well, thats why by-laws exist!

August 4, 2017 at 7:48 AM

i like the way you think

August 4, 2017 at 7:49 AM

You bring it out in me. 🙂

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
        August 4, 2017 at 11:30 AM

You could always do 2 posts in a day for 7 or 8 days and make up for that 2 or 3 weeks gone.

August 4, 2017 at 11:33 AM

that’s a good point, get it in beforehand!

i so owe you an update on Bear/Nightingale… been so tired at night, haven’t done a lot – you?

bettylouise31 said:
    August 4, 2017 at 7:46 AM

Thanks! I appreciate the Plug!

August 4, 2017 at 7:57 AM

I love this post! Void is something…it is how you feel. We all feel like the Tin Man here and there! Embrace the void! 😉

August 4, 2017 at 9:10 AM

how did you manage to write so much, even if you didn’t know what to say? #talent
    and of course i want daily posts from you, but i also want that you go on vacation and take a break. listen to your head and heart and do what you feel like doing. everyone will be happy with your choice 🙂

August 4, 2017 at 9:44 AM

I’ll take over for you……if they doesn’t scare you into writing 15 posts, nothing will……FYI….you’re still clever…..

August 4, 2017 at 9:45 AM

In my humble opinion, it’s your blog, you make the rules. I don’t see anywhere that it says 365 CONSECUTIVE Daily Challenge do you?

Kip Walkin said:
    August 4, 2017 at 9:50 AM

Well, for a void, this is one interesting post with the wittiness of course. I wonder where it all came from.😀😀😂😂 Another proof you are an amazing writer.👍👍

August 4, 2017 at 11:12 AM

You are WAY Too kind. I appreciate it tho. Not sure how that one came together with some randomness going on in my head.

Kip Walkin said:
        August 4, 2017 at 11:34 AM

Haha! I think it’s the way of every writer. Can’t be helped sometimes.😉😉 All the best.

August 4, 2017 at 10:06 AM

I agree with scr4pl80! It’s your blog and you can do what you want. That’s the joy in it! It’s like the freedom that comes for me when I finish my books for the week. I can choose what I WANT to read next. I love that. It’s the best feeling and I appreciate that freedom SO much. Same with blogging in my opinion. That’s what it makes it so awesome. VOID works too! ❤ Great post, James. 😉

August 4, 2017 at 11:14 AM

Thank you for the input. Everyone is being so open-minded about it. I appreciate it! And you are quite true with the thought on what you choose to read. Good way to look at it.

August 4, 2017 at 10:07 AM

Oops on the typos! 🙂 You’ll have to forgive me…

declutteringmylifeweb said:
    August 4, 2017 at 11:30 AM

Guest blogs are OK, especially if you comment them actively. 🙂 Vacation is vacation by definition, make sure of avoiding obsession before it is too late. 😉

inspirationpie said:
    August 4, 2017 at 12:27 PM

The void…love it. I think that was me last week, stuck in a void!

Speaking of voids, no cell phone service in most of Atlantic Canada! Crazy, huh? Some people lost internet and even the banks are down too.

Jo-Ann

RobbyeFaye said:
    August 4, 2017 at 1:18 PM

Void! Beautiful concept. I am so far behind on my reviews, that when there is a void, it’s filled with GUILT! And, (even though you should never start a sentence with and, LOL) then there is no void, because…well, guilt fills it up.
    I say take the vacation, leave the blog to itself. Who knows, maybe some cute little birdies like the ones that helped Cinderella will take pity and fill the pages for you on a daily basis until you are back (You can dream, right?). If not, you deserve a vacation. You have worked and waited a long, long time for one. GO for it!! Meanwhile, I’ll just sit in the corner and cry, missing your daily 365-day challenge, imagining what you may have so brilliantly said (Hmm, interesting how this guilt thing works. Look like it’s trying to transfer from me to you. You can have it if you like, btw. I have entirely too much for one person).
    Go, enjoy and then regale us with all your wonderful escapades and amaze and confound us with all the awesome pictures you took!

August 4, 2017 at 3:04 PM

Oh too funny! Loved your response. Funny how we’re all the same sometimes with our approach to blogging. I’ll probably do a few pre-posted ones… not sure yet! I’ve got 6 weeks to figure it out! LOL

mainepaperpusher said:
    August 4, 2017 at 1:36 PM

James, you are so kind to promote my Guest in Jest series. As for stealing my idea, they say “Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.” I am flattered that you like my concept enough to build on it. As for the 365 challenge, do what makes sense for you. You created it, you dictate the rules!

Run Wright said:
    August 4, 2017 at 1:49 PM

I think you’ll have to schedule 15 posts. You could make them about a theme and write a simple paragraph for each one. I mean, if you do otherwise, you might have broken your super strict contract and we wouldn’t want you to do that. If you need some suggestions, I might be able to rustle up a few.
    Oh my, Betty has been married for 60 years and she’s an active blogger? I have to meet her.

August 4, 2017 at 3:08 PM

Yes, Betty is great… very active. And thanks for your input! I feel like skipping them is not an option, so the short posts sounds appealing.

August 4, 2017 at 3:08 PM

and i may lean on you for some advice on content. much appreciated!

Christy B said:
    August 4, 2017 at 2:39 PM

Oh yeah we all have those creative slumps Jay/James ~ You’ll sort it out 😉 Your upcoming career posts sound fun!

August 4, 2017 at 3:09 PM

Why thank you! 🙂 I appreciate it. Tomorrow afternoon I’ll draft that first one for Sunday. 🙂

August 4, 2017 at 3:38 PM

OK, so all contracts can be reviewed and amended even lawyers will agree with that (I worked in law firms for 10 years I’ve got this) 😉, I say you review your 365 contract, refresh it and your approach to the 365 posts to help you feel a bit more inspired.

Maybe guest posts are the way to go, or maybe you decide a different way to choose topics, what if you had people suggest topic ideas then used a randomised to pick them? Making what you write a bit more off the cuff?
    You could base the topics on song titles, or movie titles. Maybe once a week have a 365 post by Ryder? 😉 I’ve got loads of these! 😂

August 4, 2017 at 4:34 PM

OMG Brilliant Idea – Thank you… one day a week, it’ll be a post from Ryder!

and yes, good plan with the contract. You can deal with the lawyer I live with. I wash my hands of that conversation!!!

August 4, 2017 at 4:39 PM

Can’t wait for Ryder posts! 😀

Hahaha! Do you want me to be your legal advocate now aswell? 😉

August 4, 2017 at 4:40 PM

Haha! I can’t give you a second job without taking on one for you too. Lol.

August 4, 2017 at 4:58 PM

Oooh I’d better get thinking! It will have to be something good! 🤔

shalini said:
    August 7, 2017 at 8:07 AM

In the medical world, voiding is peeing. Hahaha

August 7, 2017 at 8:11 AM

OMG, that’s hilarious. I forgot about that. Good addition. WooHoo!

shalini said:
        August 7, 2017 at 8:41 AM

Hehehehehehehehe 🙈🙈😂😂

August 13, 2017 at 8:27 AM

Very cleverly handled. You go, fella’