My Novel: Father Figure (Week 5 – Friday, August 4th, 2017)

Shock accompanied my mouth as it dropped to the floor today when realizing it was Friday and another week had passed since our last Father Figure update. Are we seriously finishing the fifth week since I began writing this new novel? It must be true or I wouldn’t be writing up this post, so here we go with the weekly status:

writer

Status:  Friday, August 5, 2017 – Week #5

• Research
    • I unfortunately avoided this again because I was heavily involved in editing and writing. It’s being pushed out another week. No real impact to the overall schedule.
  • Chapters 1 thru 3
    • I edited these chapters, cleaning up grammatical issues, passive voice, repetitions and missing dialogue tags.
    • It reads well, but I am not ready to share with with any beta readers at this point. I believe some of it might move to a later chapter and/or be pulled as background simply for me to know while writing future content.
    • Contains 23K words on 70 pages (way too long)
  • Chapters 4 thru 6
    • I wrote all 3 chapters this week, as per the plan and the outline.
    • I edited all three chapters on Friday afternoon similarly to the first few chapters, as noted above. They are in decent condition, but I’m not thoroughly happy with where they ended up. It needs a few days to idle before I re-read them and decide on the appropriate alterations.
    • Contains 13K words on 45 pages (about right)

Next Steps: Plan for Week #6

• Complete the research for setting locations and character personalities to incorporate very specific facts into the detailed descriptions and scenes
  • Write chapters 7 thru 9 with a target to end up in total at ~ 135 pages & 36K words
    • At this point, I’ll be 1/3 complete with a first draft
    • At that rate, with 7 more weeks to finish the remaining 2/3, a first draft will be ready by early October. I’m thinking I might have to pull this forward as I leave mid-September for a two-week vacation. I’d like a full draft completed beforehand, which means I need to start writing 4 chapters per week.
  • Edit Chapter 4 thru 6 to match tone and voice of earlier chapters

What’s on the author’s mind?

• Who will beta read the first 3 chapters in late August? I’m searching for 4 people, as I have someone who beta read the first book and is formidable when calling me out for less than stellar writing.
  • Chapters 1 thru 3 are too long for the story I am telling. It’s important to capture readers’ attention by getting to the conflict and drama by ~ 15% into the book. My outline planned for that to happen in Chapter 5 and 6, which I’ve just completed; however, at this rate, the book would be 25% longer than planned due to my extra-wordiness. I’ve got a few options to mull over, but I think it will require a little bit of each of these items:
    • Do nothing except increase the planned total page and word count
    • Determine what needs to be cut as it was only initially included to help me flush out characters and relationships
    • Move a few small scenes and content to later chapters as I write future conflicts
  • I love these characters more than I had last week. Amalia has so much more depth than I had originally felt inspired to create within her. I Brianna has a wicked charm and sass about her, but I think it will resonate with those who enjoy the tone in my 365 posts.
  • I’m still a child, as whenever I reread the intimate scenes, I giggle. I can’t help it when I say certain words that don’t ordinarily come up in conversation. I might not make it through this exercise if I have to talk about cleavage anymore…

Not that I am the smartest, but the clip was too funny!

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Summary of Father Figure (only need to read if you’re new to it)

• One young girl’s need to escape the mundane life she’s grown up in and another young girl’s quest to find her father, unaware of all the circumstances they’ve both been placed in due to decisions and actions occurring nearly 20 years ago and that both women have made in the present. How well do you really know your parents? Do they truly understand you? Can you ever truly escape the past?
  • A contemporary fiction novel set in two time periods with two primary characters:
    • 1998 – Amalia Graeme, about to turn 18, attends college, leaving behind a mother with whom she had a difficult relationship. While Amalia has a boyfriend, she’s secretly attracted to an older professor, Dr. Jonah West. She begins an affair with him and realizes she must come clean to her boyfriend. After she tells the boyfriend, they have a huge fight and she leaves to find Jonah who she thinks can comfort her. Along the path, she’s attacked by a stranger and her life is never the same again. Amalia makes a few choices which will later have disastrous consequences.
    • 2018 – Amalia, going by Molly and living in NYC, sends her daughter, Brianna, away to college. Just like her mother, Brianna begins dating one of her professors, probably looking for a father figure, as she’s never met her real father. Brianna has always accepted her mother’s story that her father was a military man with whom Molly had a one-night stand and later found herself pregnant with no way to find him. When Brianna uncovers her mother’s old journal, she learns the shocking secret that her mother never knew who the father was because it could have been more than one man. As Brianna searches for clues to find her father, she stumbles upon a few facts which could completely change the future. But when the stranger who attacked her mother re-surfaces, not even Molly knows if she can protect her daughter anymore.

About Me
I am a writer. I am currently searching for an agent and looking at independent publishing options for my first book, Watching a Glass Shatter. To see more, please check out the website for this novel where you will find the first 3 chapters, character bios and sample quotes.

I am writing my second novel, Father Figure, with plans to finish it in December, 2017. As part of the process to engage with my fans and followers, I am publishing a weekly status on the progress of this second book. For a description of this book, check out the post where my friends and followers voted for this book as my second novel.

Beyond these two books, I have a number of short stories, poems and other novels in various shapes and forms. I also read A LOT. First the book review goes on Goodreads, and then I send it on over to my WordPress blog at https://thisismytruthnow.com, where you’ll also find TV & Film reviews, Tags, Awards, Age/Genre/Book Reads and Author Spotlights, as well as the revealing and introspective 365 Daily Challenge.

You can also access my social media profiles to get the details on the who/what/when/where and my pictures. Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Vote in the poll and ratings. Thanks for stopping by. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators.

54 thoughts on “My Novel: Father Figure (Week 5 – Friday, August 4th, 2017)

August 4, 2017 at 4:53 PM

You’re doing amazing work- as always. Oh, by the way….cleavage…..

August 4, 2017 at 5:11 PM

What are you looking for in a beta reader? What are you wanting them to do? I have a general idea I think I’m just not 100% sure.

August 4, 2017 at 5:42 PM

Everyone wants something different so it’s a great question. I have a few roles in mind. One is purely providing feedback on the characters. Plot and setting. Why works and doesn’t. Can you picture it. Anything sound off. Another role is purely commentary on the writing style. Too flowery or too succinct. Awkward parts. Issues with dialogues. Repetition. Etc. the third is marketability. Would you see this as capturing attention and being something people connect with.

August 4, 2017 at 5:51 PM

Oh ok I don’t think I would be very good at that lol.

August 4, 2017 at 7:47 PM

you might… don’t have to do all of that!

August 4, 2017 at 7:49 PM

I’m great at finding misspelled words or extra words for some reason but I don’t think I’m good at the technical aspect. It would be cool to try though.

August 4, 2017 at 7:50 PM

I’ll let you know as we get closer to see if it might be a good fit!

August 4, 2017 at 8:11 PM

Ok sounds good!

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
        August 7, 2017 at 2:13 PM

I can definitely do the first and third roles. Maybe the second role as well. I can definitely tell you if you’re too flowery because I hate over-flowery language, but I don’t know if I’d do as well pointing out the parts where you’re too blunt or need more description. I’m definitely interested in being a beta reader. 🙂

August 7, 2017 at 4:26 PM

Thank you! I’m open to that. 🙂 I’m hoping in 2 weeks or so to maybe be ready to share some stuff. I have to clean up / edit, and it will be a rough first draft.

TizzyMatic said:
    August 4, 2017 at 5:34 PM

I like how you’re taking us along the way with your progress/updates. Best feature has to be what’s on your mind as an author. Gives insights as a behind the scenes of writing a book, which a lot of us would like to see. Basically, I’m saying I like the post, lol.

August 4, 2017 at 5:40 PM

I appreciate it. I want to be as open as I can without revealing too much of the plot. Build a bit of momentum.

TizzyMatic said:
        August 4, 2017 at 6:23 PM

I see. Really is a great idea. Your poll doesn’t take me anywhere though. Is there a problem with the link?

August 4, 2017 at 6:52 PM

No. WordPress added it not me. Not sure what it is!

Mama Cass said:
    August 4, 2017 at 6:31 PM

I didn’t know about father figure and now I have George Michael in my head (that super sexy studmuffin). Ahem the premise sounds intriguing and I will definitely be reading it!

August 4, 2017 at 7:47 PM

I didn’t think of George until afterwards, but yes, I had forgotten!

It’s a very complex story. I love the characters… hope you will too!

August 4, 2017 at 7:05 PM

Great work!! Your updates never fail to amaze me how much work and time go into writing a novel… I think I’ll need to be more appreciative of all the time/efforts that authors pour into writing a book…

August 4, 2017 at 7:31 PM

It is a lot of time, but not everyone organizes the way I do. I tend to plan a lot. Thank you so much!

August 4, 2017 at 7:32 PM

You are very welcome 🙂

Mama Cass said:
    August 4, 2017 at 8:16 PM

I’m sure I will! Just remember Lois Lane when you’re a famous author being interviewed by Oprah. 😉🤗hugs!

I love these updates of yours James. I have to tell you though, the cleavage thing totally cracked me up!😁 If your looking for beta readers, I’d love to read your first three chapters. I’m no expert, but I’ve done it for 2 or 3 other authors.

August 4, 2017 at 9:32 PM

Cool. Thank you! I have some editing to do but sometimes later this month I should be ready. I appreciate it. 🙂

That’s great you beta read for authors. It’s a fun thing to do. I have a bunch too.

thewisegreek said:
    August 4, 2017 at 10:01 PM

Your book sounds interesting, it’s has a plot I haven’t really seen before.

August 4, 2017 at 10:02 PM

Thx! The story is really good. Hopefully I can write is well and do it justice. I appreciate the comment. 🙂

August 5, 2017 at 1:35 AM

thanks for your updates! it’s so cool that you’re taking us with you on this journey! 🤗
    your story sounds also great. it’s exactly what i would read! can’t wait to hear more about it and then of course read it! 🤗

roseelaineblog said:
    August 5, 2017 at 4:08 AM

Do you ever feel like taking your shoes off and walking on the grass 😬🙃🙂😘

August 5, 2017 at 6:41 AM

Always! But what made you bring that up? I think I am missing a quote connection!!!

roseelaineblog said:
        August 5, 2017 at 10:40 PM

You appear to be a very driven man and to me, as an outsider quite hard on yourself, I suppose the quote I would use, with respect would be the one about the roses on the wayside 🌹🌹 🌹

August 5, 2017 at 10:52 PM

You are very kind. I appreciate it. I can be a little hard on myself, but I think I’ve set high expectations, so that drive is always present. I hope to slow down at some point tho! 🙂

roseelaineblog said:
        August 5, 2017 at 10:58 PM

Thank you for not taking offence at my comment, it was not a criticism only an observation. The fact that you took it the way that it was intended tells me that you are aware which is good. 😉

August 6, 2017 at 8:25 AM

No criticism at all. I’m often in my head and a push to relax is always welcome. 🙂

August 5, 2017 at 3:18 PM

OMG I am so proud of you! You have done so much and extra wordy is fine because that can be resolved in editing. I love that you are loving your characters that’s good, it means they are coming to life. Oh this is all so exciting! 😀

August 5, 2017 at 4:06 PM

Woo Hoo! Yes, editing! Lots of it. I am feeling excited. You made great progress earlier too. We’re on a roll now!

August 5, 2017 at 4:55 PM

This is soooo promising. I can’t wait to purchase it. Sounds like you’re pretty much keeping to schedule, too. I am so proud of you!

shalini said:
    August 7, 2017 at 8:06 AM

You are asking the world and you have forgotten me?? 😱😱

shalini said:
      August 7, 2017 at 8:07 AM

I meant for beta reading your book

August 7, 2017 at 8:11 AM

No! You are already on the beta read list! Just need to have a few folks for different takes and perspectives. 🙂

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
    August 7, 2017 at 2:25 PM

I love that you’re taking us along your journey. I love reading what your thoughts are on the progress each week, how much you’ve progressed, and what your thoughts are on where you’re headed next! It’s neat to see someone’s writing process all laid out like that. 🙂

August 7, 2017 at 4:28 PM

I appreciate it. I’m trying to be open and share as much as possible. I feel like no one has done that before. I’m not worried about mistakes or changes. It’s more about connecting with the people who may end up being a fan!

P.S. I read a bunch today. I will have thoughts tomorrow for you on Bear/Nightingale!

Tanya Hooper said:
    October 22, 2017 at 7:35 AM

Hey! Love this post, such respect for your blog – I would really appreciate it if you’d check out this post on my blog and lemme know what you think …https://tanyatale.wordpress.com/2017/10/20/short-story-train-spotter/