My Novel: Watching a Glass Shatter

It’s been a few months since I mentioned anything about my first novel, Watching a Glass Shatter, which prompted me to assemble this post as a way to share its current status. As you already know about the second book, Father Figure, I wanted to reveal a little more about the first.

Watching a Glass Shatter is the story of a ~65ish widow, Olivia Glass, who receives shocking news after the unexpected death of her husband, Ben. In a letter Ben left behind as part of his will, he confesses a secret about one of their five adult sons, but fails to specifically mention which one. Wretched with anger and fear, Olivia asks the attorney to investigate Rowena Hector, the mysterious woman whom Ben names in his last communication. While the attorney searches, Olivia embarks on a journey with each son to share one final moment and connection before the secret Ben kept must be revealed, ultimately changing the face of their family’s future.

Olivia has neglected her family over the years, losing touch as each son became a man and built his own life and family. She grew too focused on her place in society and her own needs that she failed to realize how to be a good mother. When she visits with her sons, Olivia learns they’ve been keeping secrets from her, too. The journey becomes not only about accepting the decision Ben made without her years ago, but to help prevent each of her sons from destroying their own lives with the secrets they’ve kept.

Theodore, the eldest, should be taking over the family law firm, yet his focus is anywhere but on the family business. When his wife intervenes, everything could change.

Matthew’s always been the dependable son, but his struggle is one that could have long-lasting impacts on the family if Olivia can’t help him learn how to survive.

Caleb chose to abandon his family a decade earlier, unable or unwilling to share his life with those whom he once held a strong bond. Will he even return at this point?

Zachary’s given his parents the most grief over the years. Olivia berates him over how he cares for his young daughter, unaware he might be strongest of them all.

Ethan is the youngest, finishing up the final steps to becoming a doctor and falling in love for the first time. But is the pressure getting too intense for him after the loss of his father?

The novel is about the relationships between brothers, husbands and wives, parents and children. The Glass family were once a strong brood, but blood can’t always keep you together when people’s fears and desires takeover. The story is told from the viewpoint of Olivia and each of the five sons, sharing the perspective and points of view from all angles. As the secrets slowly unfold, the Glass family begins to shatter. Olivia knows it needs to be her to break down the barriers and re-assemble what was once a powerful family. But time is running out in more ways than she knows. When she meets Rowena, the final pieces of the puzzle come together, placing the decision to reveal Ben’s secret in her hands, and her hands alone. Has she learned the lesson or will she make the same mistakes again? It’s her no-nonsense sister, Diane, who helps Olivia determine the path; however, the path is one neither of them could have predicted.

____________________________________________________________________________________

My passion for this story is infinite. I lived and breathed the Glass family from September through December in 2016. It’s been through a few editing and beta reading stages in early 2017, and out with agents and publishers the last few months. I’m close to making a decision with a plan to publish the novel before the end of 2017.

If the story interests you, please check out the first three (3) chapters I’ve posted on the novel’s website:  https://theglassfamily.wordpress.com/watching-a-glass-shatter/

And tell me what you think! I’d love to hear from everyone. Thanks for reading.

-jay

About Me
I am a writer. I am currently searching for an agent and looking at independent publishing options for my first book, Watching a Glass Shatter. To see more, please check out the website for this novel where you will find the first 3 chapters, character bios and sample quotes.

I am writing my second novel, Father Figure, with plans to finish it in December, 2017. As part of the process to engage with my fans and followers, I am publishing a weekly status on the progress of this second book. For a description of this book, check out the post where my friends and followers voted for this book as my second novel.

Beyond these two books, I have a number of short stories, poems and other novels in various shapes and forms. I also read A LOT. First the book review goes on Goodreads, and then I send it on over to my WordPress blog at https://thisismytruthnow.com, where you’ll also find TV & Film reviews, Tags, Awards, Age/Genre/Book Reads and Author Spotlights, as well as the revealing and introspective 365 Daily Challenge.

You can also access my social media profiles to get the details on the who/what/when/where and my pictures. Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Vote in the poll and ratings. Thanks for stopping by. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators.

73 thoughts on “My Novel: Watching a Glass Shatter

August 5, 2017 at 9:41 AM

It looks like I have a few chapters to read…☺️

August 5, 2017 at 9:43 AM

Reblogged this on Watching a Glass Shatter and commented:

Interested in reading a few chapters of my novel, Watching a Glass Shatter?

anisabookreviews said:
    August 5, 2017 at 9:55 AM

Watching a Glass Shatter-great title. This novel sounds like an interesting complex family drama. Great premise.

twogalsandabook said:
    August 5, 2017 at 10:00 AM

I can’t wait to be able to read some of your work! The story sounds compelling, and I like what you write on here… so I am looking forward to when I can enjoy some of your fiction! : )

August 5, 2017 at 10:08 AM

Thank you very much. Feel free to check out the chapters. I’ll keep everyone posted on the publishing status. 🙂

August 5, 2017 at 10:12 AM

oh i know what i will do tonight! thanks so much for sharing! 🙂

August 5, 2017 at 10:13 AM

Sounds very interesting, James! I’ll be sure to read it this weekend. Love the title!

August 5, 2017 at 10:20 AM

I appreciate it. Thank you. I’ve gone back and forth on the title a bunch. I think it will stay!

E. Michael Helms, writer said:
    August 5, 2017 at 10:16 AM

Reblogged this on e. michael helms and commented:
    A Novel by James Cudney–Watching a Glass Shatter

TheGirlOnTheGo said:
    August 5, 2017 at 10:18 AM

Good luck on your ventures! And I’m definitely going to check out your book 🙂

E. Michael Helms, writer said:
    August 5, 2017 at 10:23 AM

Jay, you have one hell of a synopsis. It drew me right into the story. Conflict and character are the driving forces of the best novels. If you’ve developed your characters well, given each his/her own distinctive voice, then it appears you have a winner on your hands. One suggestion, take it or leave it: I propose you change the title to “Watching Glass Shatter.” I feel it’s a bit more “encompassing” and powerful. Best of luck with your novel.
    –Michael

August 5, 2017 at 12:17 PM

Hi. Thank you for reading the synopsis. I appreciate. I’ve been toying with the name… trying to determine the best fit. I like it without the “a” the way you suggest, more than as it currently stands.

Patty said:
    August 5, 2017 at 11:20 AM

Hey Jay. As far as publishing check with an author named Stephanie Bond. She went to self publishing a year or so ago. She gives advice on stuff like that. Her Twitter is @stephaniebond Check her out.

August 5, 2017 at 11:26 AM

I just read the prologue and chapter one and I am already drawn into the story. I really want to continue on with this book and find out what happens!!

August 5, 2017 at 12:16 PM

I love that reaction! Thank you so much. I’ve got 95% of chapter 2 uploaded. The rest hasn’t been yet.

cwhiteweb said:
    August 5, 2017 at 12:47 PM

It sounds… Amazing! I shall read these as soon as school gives me a breather!!

August 5, 2017 at 3:00 PM

Great job!

Stephanie said:
    August 5, 2017 at 3:24 PM

The premise sounds amazing! I will definitely read it over my vacation and give you my feedback! 😊

August 6, 2017 at 9:10 PM

Thank you! I appreciate it. Only if you have time. 🙂 When do you leave?

Stephanie said:
        August 6, 2017 at 10:33 PM

I left late Friday afternoon. I’ll have time at some point before the 15th, which is the day I come home. I’m only relaxing between now and then, so reading is definitely on my agenda. 😊

August 6, 2017 at 10:44 PM

Very cool! Vacation comes first. Have a blast!

Stephanie said:
        August 7, 2017 at 11:19 PM

Thanks! I will! It’s more hanging out with my cousin for 2 weeks, being spoiled to death, being feed gourmet food that I don’t have to cook, and blissfully doing nothing ! I’m sure I’ll have time at some point 😊 I look forward to it when I do!

August 5, 2017 at 3:30 PM

Wow Jay, that synopsis is killer! I will definitely be reading those chapters! 😉

August 5, 2017 at 4:29 PM

Great title! It sounds like something I would enjoy. Will read the chapters very soon. 😉 ❤

August 5, 2017 at 4:38 PM

When can I purchase it????

August 5, 2017 at 5:51 PM

Oh,my gosh. Oh, my gosh. I’ve just read the whole things up online… this is brilliant!!! As BrizzleLass said, the Prologue is a killer and Chapter 1 is well-crafted and really detailed, I could tell your poured a lot of care and time into weaving each sentence. And my goodness, the cliff-hanger in Chapter 2… I gotta read more!!!

bookfandom1001 said:
    August 5, 2017 at 6:16 PM

Sounds interesting will definitely check it out. 😊

TheReadersBay said:
    August 6, 2017 at 8:48 AM

Wow the novel sounds very interesting! But even more interesting is the thing you wrote at the end. I’ve always aspired to be a writer and in the hopes of being at a place where you are today. I’m honestly very inspired to read this. Definitely going to read the first 3 chapters!!

August 6, 2017 at 8:56 AM

Hi. I appreciate you stopping by, commenting and reading the 3 chapters. Thank you very much. Nice to meet you. Checking out your site shortly. Have you started writing? -jay

TheReadersBay said:
        August 6, 2017 at 9:42 AM

Yes, I write but I don’t post it anywhere. I have diaries and notebooks, some of the time I merely just pour out my feelings in form of stories. Other times, I write short excerpts.
        But honestly, your page is amazing! I’m truly inspired!

August 6, 2017 at 9:45 AM

Thank you! 🙂 Look forward to chatting more with you.

jessicarachow said:
    August 6, 2017 at 8:52 PM

Will definitely be reading the first few chapters tomorrow. Definitely sounds interesting, looking forward to reading. 😊

shalini said:
    August 7, 2017 at 8:02 AM

Waiting for this novel

twogalsandabook said:
    August 7, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Wow James! That sounds so good! Every family unit’s dynamics can be so complex, each person in that unit with their own personality and struggles– when you put a number of people together like that, anything can result. Sounds as if you captured a plausible family with difficulties and secrets perfectly! I would love to read it!

August 7, 2017 at 10:12 AM

Thank you very much! You are absolutely welcome to read the 3 chapters (about 35 pages) on the site I’ve posted. If you want to read more afterwards, let me know. 🙂

twogalsandabook said:
        August 7, 2017 at 10:46 AM

Thank you James! It seems you had mentioned something about it before– sorry, this getting old stuff makes one so forgetful! : / I will definitely check it out!

August 7, 2017 at 4:14 PM

no worries!

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
    August 7, 2017 at 4:03 PM

This really sounds awesome. 🙂 I’ve got some time right now where my upcoming blog tours are spotlights and guest posts, not reviews, so I’m going to check it out. 🙂

Dani @ Perspective of a Writer said:
    August 7, 2017 at 4:24 PM

Sounds like the perfect book club book! Mine eats up books like this! 👍🏻 good luck on the publishing process! Would love to hear about how you make your final decision…

August 7, 2017 at 4:32 PM

Thank you very much! I’m working with a publisher now, hopefully it goes well. I’ll keep you posted. 🙂

Chris White said:
    August 11, 2017 at 2:06 PM

Yes, that is a clever title. Any luck with an agent yet ?

August 11, 2017 at 2:39 PM

Yes, things have changed in the last few weeks. I should have some news to share in the next few days! Thanks for checking in. I appreciate it.

beetleypete said:
    August 15, 2017 at 7:04 AM

Thanks for following my blog, James. And once again, good luck with your new book.
    Best wishes, Pete.