365 Challenge: Day 148 – Woof

Woof: the sound everyone thinks a dog is making, but in reality, people just have no clue

ryder

So listen… Jay/James (whatever you humans call him… he’s Dude to me, sometimes Dad if he’s been nice enough) has been looking a little busy lately, and I thought maybe I should help out with this writing thing he keeps talking about. As you can see in my picture above (BTW, aren’t I adorable?), I’ve decided to takeover his 365 Daily Challenge blog on Mondays for the rest of the year. But don’t tell him. That know-it-all thinks he can do everything, but he can’t. I mean I didn’t get my dinner tonight until 8:50 because he was out late with his friends supposedly doing karaoke. And he hates karaoke. I’ve heard him go on and on and on until the cows come home about how he can’t sing. (But seriously, he can’t — if you heard the songs that come out of his throat in the shower, you’d cover your ears too. My paws barely reach, and they don’t make ear plugs in my size. I think it’s prejudice against my species to be honest.)

I guess I can believe it, as he doesn’t usually lie to me. And karaoke is a big Japanese thing. And I’m Japanese. So it’s probably true that he wasn’t out cheating on me. Though I smelled that other dirty dog on his legs. She’s the new girl around the block. Some friend of his who took me running once got a new dog. She calls herself Zora. Trying to tempt my humans to bring home another animal. I don’t think so. This is my house. And if he or the other daddy even think about bringing some mutt into my domain, I’ll just have to teach them a little lesson. Anyways… oh, gotta go. Something is in my bed and shouldn’t be there. They never listen. Another task for tonight. Always working.

<< 5 minute break >>

IMG_0167.JPG

Grrrr… Woof… Oops, sorry, forget about you. I get distracted. Sometimes I can’t help myself. Like earlier today, I was waiting by my food bowl, which was empty. Did I tell you they don’t feed me enough around this joint? Twice a day. That dude eats a few times a day. Why can’t I? One tiny little bowl of kibble and nothing else? Well, maybe I am exaggerating. He does give me lots of table scraps. I mean a few. Not a lot. More would be better. I’ve learned a new trick this week. Forced to. It’s really rather rude. I mean, like, he makes me lay on my belly and put my head down. Then they say things like “What do we do when we want a snack?” What am I, one of those lazy cats? I’m a regal shiba. I don’t do tricks. People do tricks to impress me. Wait… I think I got off topic again. Where was I?

That damn hedgehog! There’s a whole family of those disgusting vile creatures who live here with me. I’ve caught three already. One hangs out around the corner under the couch. I put a picture here to show you the one who tries to take my spot in the bed. I taught him. He’s currently stuffed in the toy box at the bottom underneath the rest of the creatures that I turn into toys whenever they try to attack me. Like that monkey. Dudes! Or Dudettes, as I believe some women might be reading this blog too… Did you ever have a monkey on your back? One that just wouldn’t take no for an answer. I do. Look at him:

IMG_0145.JPG

That’s what happens here when you don’t act fast. Animals takeover. And if you say one thing about me taking over this 365 thing, I’ll lick you until you cry from laughing so hard. And I’m good it. I lick things all day long. Like the floor. It tastes good. Except on the days he cleans. Which in my opinion is not very often. Sometimes I’m eating crumbs from the prior week. That’s pretty bad. Well, I might have sneaked them to my secret hiding place, so it’s not really his fault. But when you don’t get enough food to eat, you have to do something to survive. Did I tell you about his nasty habit? He keeps food locked away in the refrigerator. And then in the garbage pail under the sink. Does he really think I don’t know about it? And if I know about it, what’s the point of hiding it? Dude’s whacked. He needs to chill sometimes. Like tonight, when he got home. He had a second piece of cake from that refrigerator. And I only got to lick the plate. Three measly pieces of coconut shavings, a little bit of icing and like two strawberry crumb droppings not even worth sharing with that monkey. And before you ask, I did dump the monkey in the bottom of the toy bucket. Maybe Monkey and Hedgehog will learn to take me seriously some day. When I say I mean business, I mean business.

IMG_0519

<< 20 minute break >>

This writing stuff is hard work. And this keyboard is too big for my paws. I can’t reach from left to right. So I get up and walk back and forth. Sometimes I feel the need to scratch my butt on the carpet. Jay doesn’t like when I do that. But if he’d take me the groomers a little more often, maybe I wouldn’t have to. So until he does, the carpet is my personal butt scratcher. Oh! Bird at the window. Stupid things land on my Enchanted Garden all the time. That’s the NYC Terrace for all you readers… Jay and W use the wrong name all the time. I ate a few of those birds. They call me Ryder the Cat-Like Dog. I have my own FaceBook page. Want to see?

I’m a little tired. The bunny wore me out. Sometimes he is a pain in the ass too. Hops around like he owns the joint. It’s my place, Bunny. And don’t say otherwise or I’ll tare you to pieces. I already ripped your stuffing out and you are nothing but a dirty old grey rabbit on his last legs. But I’ll still sleep with you. I’m generous. Well… it’s bed time. I hope this is the type of post you people expect. It’s my first one and I will be more organized in the future. But if not, then go find another blog to read until it’s Tuesday. Cause I own Mondays now. And if you have any special requests, let me know. As you can see, I like to entertain. Gotta go. Time to check the food dish again. After a nice long scratch. And a lick. I see something moving by the door to the terrace. It looks like it’s trying to escape. But nothing escapes from me. I’m King Ryder.

Wait… this is supposed to be about Jay and the word of the day. Which for today is woof. Hmmm… how does this relate to him? He’s already sleeping, who cares tonight?

IMG_0821.JPG

RECOMMENDED BLOGGER

• Today’s 365 Daily Challenge recommended blogger to know is Didi Oviatt. Today’s another one of those days where there isn’t really a connection between the Word of the Day and the Blogger of the Day, except maybe that today’s post is being written by a different writer/Ryder, and my blogger to know is a writer! Didi and I connected about two months ago via our WordPress blogs, as she’s both a reader and a writer like me, as well as master of inspirational ideas and posts. She has been nominated for a few blogging awards and participated in several tags over the last few months. I always enjoy reading her posts and learning about her upcoming novels and marketing plans. She was very helpful when I had some questions about being a new author and signing with agents and/or publishers. But beyond that, she’s absolutely sweet and friendly, making it easy to connect with and share a few laughs. She’s also published several books, which you can purchase and/or read (more info on her website). We chatted about each of them and she’s recommended the one I should read, which I’ll be purchasing in my next book haul this summer. I’d suggest poking around her site a bit, learning more about the stories she writes and her life growing up in a small town. You’ll find something humorous and touching, as well as maybe find a new favorite book. If you don’t believe me, check out the below blurb from her About Me section and then go visit the site yourself:
    • “Growing up in a small town had more than several advantages and disadvantages. Saying that my childhood was sheltered is nothing short of an understatement. Unlocked doors, cleared streets, and the quiet of a trustworthy neighborhood were all welcomed features of my hometown. As a small child I baked cookies with the old lady down the road. I sat next to my kindergarten crush in sun day school, and literally rode my bike in the middle of the road without a care in the world. We didn’t have what kids have today. We actually had to use our imaginations to have a good time. There were no smart phones, tablets, or 64s to keep us occupied. We were perfectly content to play with our stick guns and a water hose for hours on end… And I loved it! Along with my scrapes and bruises I also maintained a simple, happy for the little things attitude, and of course a great tan.”

87 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 148 – Woof

susandyer1962 said:
    August 6, 2017 at 11:09 PM

Haha too funny! What a great idea Jay!! So what was your best song tonight? Lol

Didi Oviatt - Author said:
    August 6, 2017 at 11:20 PM

Reblogged this on Didi Oviatt and commented:
    Thanks for tagging me as your recomended blogger, Jay! BTW I think your pal has more stuffed animals than my own, which is hard to top. I have a spoiled little beagle named chip, and it seems they’d hit it off very well 😉

Tell Ryder that I think he did a phenomenal job writing this post, and I can’t wait for his next one!😁

cwhiteweb said:
    August 6, 2017 at 11:50 PM

A family of Jumpers. I saw Ryder distract himself too! I loved this. So hilarious! Makes me wonder what goes through a dogs mind for real 😀

August 6, 2017 at 11:51 PM

Ha! Jumpers. Yes, I know what you mean. That’s what I’m gonna explore in his posts. Today was just an intro, but i’ll pick something each week and tell it from his point of view!

August 7, 2017 at 12:13 AM

Such a great idea! I’ll tune into Ryder any day! 😉 💗🐕👍

declutteringmylifeweb said:
    August 7, 2017 at 12:33 AM

Can we have a short video of this cute dog later in a post?

August 7, 2017 at 7:35 AM

Yes. Will have to put on Facebook or Instagram and provide the link. WordPress won’t allow me to do videos!

foodzesty said:
    August 7, 2017 at 1:20 AM

hahahaha Ryder did a great job on this post 🙂

August 7, 2017 at 1:37 AM

this is such a cool idea jay! loved reading this post! ryder is amazing and sooooo cute! ❤

August 7, 2017 at 2:58 AM

Yay you did it!!!

I knew Ryder would kill it as a blogger! I love him so much! 💜💜💜

August 7, 2017 at 7:41 AM

Haha! It was fun. Have a few more topics planned in my head. Thanks so much for giving me the idea and courage!

August 7, 2017 at 8:46 AM

You’re welcome! I can’t wait to read more it will be so much fun! 😀

twogalsandabook said:
    August 7, 2017 at 3:25 AM

Such a beautiful dog! And so funny! I look forward to more from Ryder! : )

August 7, 2017 at 6:29 AM

Ryder has my vote! Now feed that sweet baby!!💚

August 7, 2017 at 7:12 AM

Oh boy this is definitely going to be a fun half of the year, haha.

Kiersten said:
    August 7, 2017 at 7:20 AM

I love this. Your pup is so cute. 😍

August 7, 2017 at 7:31 AM

Omg, Ryder!! Soooo cute! I know it sounds weird (yes, I know), but I love dog’s butt. Shiba and Corgi Welsh Pembroke’s are the best. Ooops, what am I talking!? Gotta go! Bye! lol

August 7, 2017 at 7:48 AM

Haha! Funny mood today!?

August 7, 2017 at 7:57 AM

Haha, I just played along! (it’s true that I love dog’s butt though)

shalini said:
        August 7, 2017 at 8:02 AM

Hey girl how’s you

August 7, 2017 at 8:03 AM

Hey, Shalini! How have you been???

shalini said:
        August 7, 2017 at 8:43 AM

Hey I am good. How about you is it night time there??

atlasdan said:
    August 7, 2017 at 8:00 AM

What a great dog 🙂

shalini said:
    August 7, 2017 at 8:01 AM

Omg Jay this is cutest of your blog. It just puts a smile on the face… You are such a great writer. You must write droll comedy in one of your future novel. I am total fangirl of your writing especially this post. Fabulous keep on writing. You have a great talent

August 7, 2017 at 8:09 AM

Aww… thank you so much! It’s great to see you online again. I always enjoy chatting. Me, comedy? Ha. I’m a bit too obvious in my humor. I need to learn the art of subtly. LOL Sometimes it works! 🙂

Patty said:
    August 7, 2017 at 8:15 AM

Love it! This post was awesome. Cute doggie. 🙂

August 7, 2017 at 8:54 AM

Hahaha this was so funny Jay. I wish I was able to get my dog a stuffed animal but she would have it torn to shreds in no time. We usually get her bones which last maybe an hour. I bought her a toy rope that I was expecting her to have torn apart already (because she tore the last one up that we bought her) but surprisingly it’s still intact.

marielisab said:
    August 7, 2017 at 10:28 AM

Loved it ! I think Ryder needs his own agent. Can’t wait until next Monday !

carhicks said:
    August 7, 2017 at 12:12 PM

I absolutely love dogs so reading about Ryder was wonderful. He is a great writer and should probably write his own book someday.

mainepaperpusher said:
    August 7, 2017 at 1:48 PM

Ryder, thank goodness you are taking over Mondays. Jay is an awesome guy and all that, but he writes about all of that human stuff and we get sooo bored. We want to hear more about your enchanted garden. We don’t have that here. We have what our Mom calls a kennel. It’s really a big fenced in bathroom. We get to go anytime we want because we demanded really big dog doors. They don’t make them big enough so we saw to it that they were built to our specifications. Also tell us about your toy box. We have two big bins of toys but Mom only lets us have a few at a time. She puts them in baskets under the coffee table and we pull out what we want. Sometimes we think the baskets taste better than the toys. Keep us up to date and we’ll keep reading. 🐾 Levi and Walter

August 7, 2017 at 4:25 PM

Hi Levi and Walter! I’ll be back next Monday with a post and tell you all about this stuff. You should always pull the toys you want. They are yours. Don’t let Mom tell you what to do. Ever. It’s a battle we must win. And I’ll tel Jay you said it went well!

Run Wright said:
    August 7, 2017 at 2:16 PM

I don’t often connect with four-footed friends so thanks for this opportunity, Jay. It was very insightful.

RobbyeFaye said:
    August 7, 2017 at 2:23 PM

How cute, and hedgehogs. . .
    I think your dog and my g’daughter’s cat should meet. The cat seriously thinks she’s a dog and acts like one more than most dogs!
    Enjoyed the post!

August 7, 2017 at 4:27 PM

Glad you enjoyed it! Yes, Ryder might like cats. He hasn’t spent much time with them. 🙂

RobbyeFaye said:
        August 7, 2017 at 4:53 PM

The cat hates other cat’s (another reason she seems more dog like), I’m sure they would get along real well!

inspirationpie said:
    August 7, 2017 at 3:09 PM

LOL Ryder’s such a cutie pie! Great little writer too!

Jo-Ann

August 7, 2017 at 3:11 PM

I think Ryder should take over 365. He is incredibly entertaining and wickedly smart! And I love how he learned to use spell check. My cat can’t get the hang of it. So basically the strange sounds I heard were jay singing? I thought it was nails on a chalkboard…… good boy Ryder. Great post. I’m sending treats…..

August 7, 2017 at 4:30 PM

he got the treats. ate them. said thank you. And is teaching a class on autocorrect in central park next week! 🙂 meet – n – greet!

and not funny about the singing. but you are right.

MoJo said:
    August 7, 2017 at 9:08 PM

That dog is insanely adorable!

Books Teacup and Reviews said:
    August 8, 2017 at 6:46 AM
    fitnessgrad said:
    August 8, 2017 at 3:03 PM

I only shown up for the dog 🙂
    So adorable!

Shay-lon

anne leueen said:
    August 9, 2017 at 7:54 AM

Hello Woof! My name is Biasini. I was delighted when my human , Ma Leueen, told me you had posted a blog piece. I know there is a cat that posts every day but you are the first dog I’ve known of. I don’t live with my human. That would be a bit much even though I do like her but for we horses it is better to live in the stable. Oh and tell your Dude to give you more food! I get 3 meals a day and snacks of hay and grass in between. Cheers Mate and hope to see you blogging again. Biasini.

August 9, 2017 at 11:44 AM

Adorable! Love this response. You are funny. 🙂

Cheers to you, too Biasini. Loved your name!

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
    August 9, 2017 at 3:13 PM

This had me literally laughing out loud at work on my lunch break today. Thanks for the giggles, Ryder. You’re a great pup!

ireadnovels said:
    August 17, 2017 at 8:37 AM

Wish I could have the dog he is so cute!

Rich Allan said:
    August 18, 2017 at 11:27 PM

what is this competition? Hard to keep up. My novels on amazon.com, “Drafted and Identity Check.” Read & Review…Thanks!

August 19, 2017 at 7:53 AM

Competition for what? I just write a lot! LOL I will check it out when I get back from this trip. Thanks.

August 21, 2017 at 7:11 PM

He’s not Ani or Ray, but he’ll do. LOL When does HIS book come out?

August 21, 2017 at 7:13 PM

Oh! I wish. I don’t think I could write a whole book from his POV. I might lose my marbles.

[…] 365 Challenge: Day 148 – Woof […]