365 Challenge: Day 150 – Surprised

Surprised: feeling or showing an unexpected or astonishing event, fact, or thing

surprised.png

When I thought about today’s 365 Daily Challenge word, the first thing that came to mind was the fact that I’d created 150 posts already, which was a bit of a surprise. But then when I checked to verify I hadn’t used any word similar to ‘surprised,’ I received another shock. WordPress never emailed me to tell me I hit my one year blog anniversary over the weekend. Seriously, what’s that all about?

Technically, I created this blog in August 2016, but I only posted a few things about Watching a Glass Shatter. Hey, that’s another surprise… it’s one year this week since I started the outline for that novel. And if everything lines up, I might have a major step to announce for the book later this month. SURPRISE again.

Wow… this is an appropriate word for today. While the blog went live in August 2016, I didn’t post anything or even connect with anyone else until early 2017. It was just for me in the beginning as a place to include book reviews and details on my own book. Maybe WordPress is waiting until February 2018 to inform me of my blog anniversary. Fickle little thing… oh well… it’s still a surprise I discovered this week. Not unlike the way a child can immediately got from sheer happiness to sh*tting its pants in fear of a monster.

So yeah, 150 distinct posts about me. Now that’s some arrogance, eh? Some might say I don’t know how to shut up about myself, constantly bragging and tooting my own horn. That’s not a guy I’d want to be friendly with… so why on earth would you be? Better run while you can, as before we all know it, it’ll be 182.5 posts in this 365 Daily Challenge which means 50% has zoomed by. (What’s a half a post anyway?) And if you made it that far, why would you ever stop? Once you pass this midway mark, you’re locked in — you must deal with me. And I feel for ya, that’s gonna be a bumpy ride. Dude’s got a wickedly dangerous mind these days…

In general, I don’t like surprises. I’ve never had a surprise birthday party thrown for me. Well, that’s not exactly true. A few years ago, my assistant did have a surprise office birthday cake event for me. I had expected her to do something, so I was prepared for any unusual meetings popping on my calendar. But she was sneaky and re-purposed an existing meeting that I had to attend with the CFO. What I didn’t know was that she secretly worked with his assistant to carve out another time for the real meeting, as he needed to re-schedule.

There I am… heading to what I expect to be a budget meeting with 4 or 5 people… and I walk into a conference room with 150 people waiting for me — my entire team, part of our larger department and a bunch of colleagues from other divisions had been invited. They caught me that time, even though I figured out something was up. Just not that big of an event. She made me give a speech, which I absolutely hated. I can lead a room of 150 people through a presentation without batting an eyelash (do men do that, btw? If not, I need a new expression), but thanking people for showing up to wish me a happy birthday and I’m a shell-shocked introvert who can barely mumble anything. From that day forward, I called out sick on my birthday. Fixed her.

Surprises are always met with really happy or really unhappy expressions. It’s rare someone says “oh, that’s nice.” It’s usually “I hate them” or “I love them.” How do you feel about surprises?

RECOMMENDED BLOGGER

• Today’s 365 Daily Challenge recommended blogger to know is Joanna @ Momentum of Jo. Joanna and I met about two months ago through a mutual blogging friend who shall rename nameless. We quickly began exchanging friendly banter and jabs, all in the name of good fun and the occasional corny humor we all love. Some days she accuses me of breaking her blog, others she tells me she might steal Ryder. The only thing I know to expect from her is that she’s one of the most funny and thought-provoking bloggers I’ve met since joining the WordPress family. Joanna ( I don’t use nicknames tho at last count, she has 6 for me) has a sharp wit, brilliant sense of humor and amazing / alarming comedic timing. Among reflections on her family and pets and other people’s posts, you get a real sense of who she is and the strength she brings to any conversation. It’s really quite amazing. If I see a new post, I tend to look fairly quickly, as it’s gonna make me smile even if I’m particularly busy at that moment. You kinda wanna hear what she has to say about all the topics she discusses. The point of view she brings is often unlike any other you might predict. Joanna tells you when she’s done something wrong, she looks for the positive side of all situations, and she brings more sass than I have seen in my lifetime. I’ve been on the floor laughing to the point I thought she had tased me, which has come up between several times before. Today we “argued” over the appropriate definition of whether she could be called a ‘hot mess’ and why she didn’t have an “About Me” section to reference here. If you don’t believe me, check out the site yourself thru that link above. I’d share the About Me content, but as she said “it’s under construction” right before I was told to be more patient (in not so many words). I gotta love it when she just tells it like it is. So might you.
    • I’m about to post this, and of course, lovely Joanna posts her About Me section. So go see it, it’s as great as you’d expect.

98 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 150 – Surprised

melaniemolewriter said:
    August 9, 2017 at 7:23 AM

Happy 1st Anniversary!

Kathy @ Books & Munches said:
    August 9, 2017 at 7:26 AM

That’s a whole load of surprises for one post!

I don’t like surprises for multiple reasons.
    I’m way too curious, and finding out someone’s hiding something from me.. I absolutely hate it and I need to find out what it is.
    Apart from that, I never know how to respond to surprises. I might think it’s an awesome surprise, but end up staring blank-faced and not knowing how to react. Causes people to think you didn’t like it.. Then try convincing them you did, but just.. didn’t respond the right way?

Same as you, I always take the day off on my birthday. After a colleague yelling “Happy birthday!” for the whole floor one time and sitting at my computer red-faced for the rest of the day while random people came over all the time.. Yeah, no thank you.
    This year I’m even going as far as being abroad on my birthday, because, why not!

Surprise, surprise. My answer turned out pretty long, once again. I can’t seem to do short comments…

August 9, 2017 at 7:28 AM

Hmmm… I love comments tho, so it’s a surprise for me. Good deal on the birthday, have an awesome abroad trip.

and so true about how to react to the surprise. you cringe inside but have to be nice when others do it! 🙂

August 9, 2017 at 7:26 AM

Big surprise that you dislike surprises! 😉 I would have to agree!

August 9, 2017 at 7:34 AM

James, I’m not big on surprises either! Congrats on the posts though! Wonderful job. That baby gif! LMAO. Held me up for some time. Love it. ❤

August 9, 2017 at 7:35 AM

Smell something nice (*gloat*). I love good surprises, but basically, I don’t really relish the suspense of surprises. When others act like they have something up their sleeve and say things like ‘I have a big surprise for you…’ but I don’t get to figure out if it’s a good thing or bad thing, I go like, ‘Come on, blurt it out!!!’ hehe

August 9, 2017 at 7:39 AM

They can’t ruin the surprise by telling you in advance! LOL. That’s teasing. Hahaha

August 9, 2017 at 7:41 AM

Yeah lol If you put it that way, I might like surprise after all… hahaha!!

August 9, 2017 at 7:42 AM

great post! 🙂 i am also not a surprise person when it comes to people showing up, i don’t know about. little gifts or whatever are welcome anytime though 😀

Megha said:
    August 9, 2017 at 7:54 AM

Happy one year anniversary. 😊

Patty said:
    August 9, 2017 at 7:54 AM

Happy One Year. I find that WP doesn’t send out those until after the fact. Like really later. I got my 200 followers congrates like a week after I got the actually 200. haha! As far as surprises go…I think I like some surprises. But I don’t get many so I am on the fence about them. 😉 Great post!

August 9, 2017 at 8:06 AM

Congrats on one year James! Cheers to many more! I, personally, love surprises. The more the better. My husband is really good at surprising me with Christmas/birthday gifts. I try to surprise him but my excitement gets in the way and I get impatient for me to want to know what I got him early, hahaha

August 9, 2017 at 11:45 AM

He sounds pretty good. Hope he finds the right ones this year… something book-related!

August 9, 2017 at 11:48 AM

We shall see! I hope so too hahaha

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
    August 9, 2017 at 8:14 AM

Congratulations on your one-year anniversary! I don’t like surprises either. I don’t like being the center of attention. So much so that I actually take my birthday off work each year AND this was the first year in I don’t know how long that I actually had someone besides family celebrate my birthday with me. For a long time, I didn’t even like celebrating with family.

I’m excited to hear your news about Watching a Glass Shatter. Hopefully, it’s good news! 🙂

August 9, 2017 at 11:46 AM

Thanks, Valerie. I appreciate it. Me too! 🙂

congrats to letting someone else celebrate your birthday with you, too.

Kristin @ Kristin Kraves Books said:
    August 9, 2017 at 9:25 AM

Happy one year anniversary!!!

I am like you and I hate surprises! Sometimes I even Google the ending of movies because I can not stand being surprised!

I had a surprise party once and it made me so uncomfortable. I just think I hate being the center of attention! It also makes me so awkward opening gifts in front of people!

August 9, 2017 at 11:48 AM

Thank you, Kristin. I love spoilers too! I always read ahead on them for TV shows. 🙂

August 9, 2017 at 10:33 AM

WooHoo Happy one year Blogiversary! We need cake! 🎂
    I am with you on surprises, they generally suck! I had a very similar work experience on my birthday and like you never went in on my birthday after that! I guess some surprises are inevitable and good but I like to avoid them if I can!

MoJo said:
    August 9, 2017 at 10:37 AM

You have rendered me speechless. I hate that as it is highly unfamiliar territory for me. I just need a moment to formulate the right comeback / response. For now, I can only say thank you Jay. (aka James) (aka Jumper) (aka JC4) (aka J2C4) (aka crapola I can’t remember the other one but I feel like it must be something with regard to that fabulous one piece man romper suit I still need to buy for you) Nevertheless I will be back with a better response soon because you made my heart smile. Also, for the record, I can’t stand surprises. I hate being in the spotlight in front of people. My team is out of town and I arrive the evening before I have to go into the office strictly because I can’t stand the mass floor greeting when I walk in the door. It’s like when everyone used to say Norm! in the TV show Cheers, but there’s no beer waiting for me as I meander through the hugs. And then there’s the to hug or not hug question. How many hugs should I give out? Who doesn’t get that hug? Who doesn’t even want that hug? Anyhoo… That’s my non-response response. So much for being speechless, eh? Can you even fathom what my actual response will be??? 😉 xoxo Jo

August 9, 2017 at 11:50 AM

Oh I hate hugs at work!!!

I am afraid of your response. Gonna hide for a week or so. “Under Construction” sign on the blog.

But you deserve it. You have an amazing site, others need to know. 🙂

MoJo said:
        August 9, 2017 at 12:08 PM

Yes. Work hugs suck. And I work on a big open floor and only come in every few months so it looks weird no matter what I do. Eck. I dread it just thinking about it.

August 9, 2017 at 3:09 PM

Not fun!

MoJo said:
    August 9, 2017 at 10:38 AM

Also happy bloggiversary! It’s simply faaaabulous dahling!!

August 9, 2017 at 11:13 AM

Congrats! That’s a great accomplishment! 150 very intelligent witty posts! And two books! And awesome highlighting Joanna, my blogging crush! And yet another similarity between us….I HATE surprises. I mean hate.

twogalsandabook said:
    August 9, 2017 at 11:22 AM

Congratulations on hitting the 1 year mark! That is a whole lot of writing!!!! : ) To me, their are good surprises, and bad ones. Of course, I like the good one, but the bad, I will mull over for days or weeks (depending on what it is), and constantly wish I could rewind time to before the surprise happened and somehow subvert it so there would be different outcome. : /

August 10, 2017 at 9:13 AM

You have a good point about surprises! 🙂 And thank you. Sorry for the delay in responding. This showed up in the spam folder for some reason!

twogalsandabook said:
        August 11, 2017 at 2:44 PM

It is ok– we all have busy days! : )

kerrymckim said:
    August 9, 2017 at 11:29 AM

Congratulations on your blogaversary!

August 9, 2017 at 11:52 AM

Thank you! How are you doing this week?

kerrymckim said:
        August 9, 2017 at 11:04 PM

Busy and tired. Started a new workout routine and trying to organize the workflow.

How are you doing?

August 10, 2017 at 7:20 AM

Good to see all the progress! I am doing well. Took in a great show last night. Had some good news from a publisher. It’s been a great week and I am grateful.

The workout routine will hopefully energize you soon enough, so you feel those rewards, too.

kerrymckim said:
        August 10, 2017 at 10:57 PM

Sounds like you had a great night! What show did you see?

I hope you are right about the workout routine energizing me. I need some energy.

August 11, 2017 at 6:59 AM

Hello, Dolly

MoJo said:
    August 9, 2017 at 12:06 PM

Reblogged this on Momentum of Jo and commented:
    Check out wonderblogger Jay’s latest post and the others, too! He is a reading and writing machine but in a fun less Terminatoresque kind of way.

Thank you truly for the beautiful shout out and happy bloggiversary to you JC4. Also the blogger who shall not been named will henceforth be referred to (by me) as Voldemort the Second. I adore that Voldemort II, and of course, I adore you, too. Jo

August 9, 2017 at 12:08 PM

Happy blog anniversary. As to men batting their eyelashes, I’ve known a few men with seriously long eyelashes so I guess it is possible if they blink rapidly. Not sure how I feel about surprises. Being an introvert I’m not really fond of crowds. I’ve only had one thrown for me – a combination birthday/engagement party and it was pretty fun.

August 9, 2017 at 3:08 PM

Thank you. Crowds are definitely not good in these situations! I don’t have those eye lashes, so I guess I’m OK. LOL!

RobbyeFaye said:
    August 9, 2017 at 12:21 PM

Congratulations on one year! Can’t wait to see what surprises (ah, you caught that did you?!) the next year holds!
    I love surprises (but not surprise parties). However, EVERYONE in my family HATES/LOATHES them with a passion.
    I love to surprise them with a quick trip to Starbucks as a nice treat or make their favorite meal or some other kind gesture to show them how much I love and appreciate them. They, on the other hand, do not like or appreciate it, they want-no, let me correct that, they desperately need to know ahead of time. Makes it difficult for this surprise loving Mama, wife, friend, whatever!
    Have a great week!

August 9, 2017 at 3:09 PM

Have a good week too. I know exactly what you mean about the good kind of surprises!

RobbyeFaye said:
        August 9, 2017 at 5:47 PM

Glad someone else understands!

Christy B said:
    August 9, 2017 at 1:34 PM

Yahoooo 150 posts! Lets cover the cake with candles and… eat the cake!! 🙂

Aislynn d'Merricksson said:
    August 9, 2017 at 5:04 PM

Happy blog Anniversary!

Gods, I loathe surprise of any kind. I’m an extreme introvert, and very much a cat. My family no longer tries to surprise me for any reason, and both family and work know to please let me know of upcoming changes in advance so I can begin processing and mentally adjusting. Otherwise, I tend to freeze, and lose the track of my day. It throws me off badly.

misifusa said:
    August 9, 2017 at 6:05 PM

Happy Blogaversary Jay! I love Joanna! Been friends with her for years! Thanks for highlighting her amazing blog! You both are such amazing writers! Good to meet you!

August 9, 2017 at 8:26 PM

Thank you so much. You too. I look forward to reading more from yours.

Cal's Constant Raving Reviews said:
    August 9, 2017 at 8:20 PM

Congrats on the anniversary 😀

August 9, 2017 at 8:43 PM

I love being surprised! However if my husband tells me he has a surprise for me I want shut up about it until he tells me what it is.

August 9, 2017 at 8:44 PM

Also happy 1 year blogiversary!!🍾

deesradreadsandreviews said:
    August 9, 2017 at 11:13 PM

Happy blogiversary, Jamey!! 🎉 🎈 🎉 🎈

Great post!!! 😎

Didi Oviatt - Author said:
    August 9, 2017 at 11:49 PM

Happy bloggaversary! I never pegged you as a surprise hater 😂😂

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    August 10, 2017 at 12:15 AM

Hmph! WP is falling down on the job.😒

Well, anyway, CONGRATULATIONS James and Happy Blogaversary!🎂🎇🎉🍻😊 You’ve done some pretty impressive stuff in just 1 year.😊

Oh! And I absolutely love the baby and kitten gifs. I keep having to scroll up and look at them.😁

August 10, 2017 at 7:21 AM

Those were some captivating GIFs. I had a hard time hitting the post button, too. Thank you very much.

summer book tag – coffeeloving bookoholic said:
    August 10, 2017 at 6:13 AM

[…] @this is my truth now (surprise! […]

inspirationpie said:
    August 10, 2017 at 8:05 AM

Love this post, Jay! I hope you have some awesome news for us on Watching a Glass Shatter! My fingers are still crossed for you!

That’s an awesome birthday surprise…I would definitely feel a bit awkward! and humbled, too! My family had a surprise birthday for my 40th…My mom was working as a guide in an historic house at the time, and she and I were into Outlander big time. What does she do? She gets a Jamie and Claire lookalike, a town crier, and about 5 other people that she worked with, not to mention my brother and his girlfriend from out of town…they all showed up dressed in period costume, led by a bagpiper who paraded them down the street!!!! I was dying but it was so awesome…they had me good! LOL

Jo-Ann

August 10, 2017 at 8:08 AM

Thank you!

That is such an awesome (albeit scary!) way to celebrate your birthday. I’d have hated it and loved it all at the same time. Nice, Mom!

vinnieh said:
    August 10, 2017 at 8:56 AM

Happy One Year Anniversary. I for one am far from surprised at you reaching this milestone. You’re a fine blogger.

August 10, 2017 at 9:02 AM

Thanks, Vinnie. I appreciate it. I enjoy chatting.

August 10, 2017 at 9:03 AM

(with you, I meant)

vinnieh said:
        August 10, 2017 at 9:04 AM

I understood what you meant. I too enjoy talking with you, you’re a fun guy. I’m happy you are enjoying both my sites.

August 10, 2017 at 9:12 AM

yes sir!

vinnieh said:
        August 10, 2017 at 9:13 AM

Which site do you like more?

August 10, 2017 at 9:14 AM

Both are good, but I’m more included to read your thoughts and reflections, only because it’s conversational and interactive. Pics and stories are good, too, but I tend not to comment on those so publicly!

vinnieh said:
        August 10, 2017 at 9:16 AM

I like to keep things going between followers and myself, promoting intriguing discussion among everyone. I’m a chatty type of guy, as you’ve probably gathered. The movie blog is where my heart is, but my erotica one is devilish fun too.

August 10, 2017 at 9:21 AM

very true 😉

vinnieh said:
        August 10, 2017 at 9:22 AM

And you’ve been a great new addition to the blogger family.

August 10, 2017 at 9:36 AM

🙂

nzfnmblog said:
    August 10, 2017 at 6:55 PM

Congrats on one year!

janieleeds said:
    August 16, 2017 at 9:39 AM

Joanna is a darling! So great that you wrote about her today. Don’t you just love her sense of humor? 🙂

Kristin said:
    August 20, 2017 at 10:55 PM

I hate surprises. Especially the kind that are bad. Ugh! Sometimes I hate my reluctance to blog things that people may see that I know. Something surprising happened to our family last week and I need to rant!

I hate, hate, hate surprises. Good or bad, I don’t care. I hate being surprised.

August 21, 2017 at 7:15 PM

50% of the Daily Challenges done! Congrts especially on that and on the other surprises today.