365 Challenge: Day 151 – Vocal

Vocal: expressing opinions or feelings freely or loudly

ocal.png

Yesterday was quite a day, leaving me little time to draft the 365 Daily Challenge post for today. Though I previously preferred drafting the posts early each morning, after consuming at least two cups of coffee, I’ve now become more comfortable writing them late afternoon in preparation for release the upcoming day. Yesterday I was not able to accomplish my goal. I had a prolific writing day for Father Figure, pushing me to a few extreme moments of hair-pulling crazies and watery eyes that refused to listen. Suddenly, fear permeated throughout my weakened body, when I looked up to see it was 4:30 pm. I’ve not written the post. I’ve not read anyone else’s blog. I’ve ignored social media. And I had to leave my apartment by 5:45 for pre-scheduled plans. I had 75 minutes to accomplish everything, which was no small feat. Curious how I did? Oh… you’re not gonna like the answer.

First, I changed into gym clothes. I can’t go to the gym without those, now can I? OK, task one complete. Then Ryder looked at me with the “I need to go outside” expression. Fine… handled that. Distracted by trying to start the draft of this post. Couldn’t focus. Picked out my clothes for the event. Ugh, @#@$@$ it’s hot out. I have to wear pants and a shirt. I don’t like shirts. I hate pants even more. “Why must I be punished by wearing clothes?” I ask myself. Someone answered me via text, reminding me they were a necessary evil so that I am not locked up in prison for streaking the neighborhood. So, I looked at the clock… needless to say, 30 minutes had passed before I was actually able to leave for the gym (given the tantrum I threw over pants in my closet choosing the lightest possible fabric and loosest-fitting yet smallest shirt possible), but that wasn’t enough time. So nothing got done. Just a lot of back and forth trying to juggle way too many balls in the air, lacking clear priorities. Definite new number one task for later today: Prioritize everything you need to do.

So… shower, change, head off to dinner. It’s #@$#@$@# hot in the city in August. I was a sweaty mess by the time I arrived in midtown, across from Times Square, at the restaurant we all agreed to have dinner at. Ah, tourists… have you ever wondered what goes through people’s minds when they look down at their phones, stare up at digital signs, point at everything that means nothing because they can and they’re there, but it’s something they could do anywhere, yet in NYC, it seems cool, and you’ll never see it again, but in truth… it’s just another human in a weird costume having a good day because that’s what you do when you live in NYC so that you can get the attention of tourists and hopefully make a few bucks? (I haven’t done that – @#$@@##@$).

Five people standing too far apart yet too close together to pass by them, their arms linked across the entire sidewalk with a full crowd in front of stores containing people entering and exiting, no one paying attention. Are people just truly not aware of their surroundings? I gave a few looks of death, as I’m pretty good at mastering that in-between look of ‘I will shoot daggers at you in the hopes I’m letting you know that you are completely screwing up my timing and if you don’t get out of my way way…’ until they realize it and I can then dial it down to a ‘Oh, thanks so much for letting me pass by, have a wonderful day,’ unless they don’t get it and then I elevate said look to ‘You’ve got 3 seconds to get your #$@$# out of my path and use your #$#@$#@ brain to realize that you are so rude and unaware of the traffic problems you are causing right now so move the #$#@$#@$@ away right now.’

At that point, one of two things generally happens: (1) they move or (2) I move. Because I’m the kinda guy who may think all those things, yet I also know tourists make or break a town, and while NYC is in no shortage, I don’t want to impede someone else’s happiness the way they’ve chosen to momentarily impede mine. Ah… arrive at dinner. I was the third of five of us — even two minutes early! The bartender asks me what I want to drink. I search the menu about ready to pick a lovely cocktail to tone down my little mental tantrum when someone give me that look, surreptitiously and silently reminding me: ‘You committed to not drinking for 21 days until the beach weekend, right?’ #$#@$#@$#@ (Yes, I’m doing a lot of that today). On a different note, seltzer has such amazing qualities, between the flavors and the bubbles, it’s just…

Dinner was great. We rushed out at 7:30 and made it to the the theatre. As we turn the corner, one friend says “These people are just standing everywhere blocking my path. Get the @#$#$# out of the way. Oh, I hope that’s not the line to Hello, Dolly.”

• Point 1: I wasn’t the only person thinking that! Someone else relieved my shift and handled the tantrum business.
  • Point 2: It was the line to get tickets which we had to pick up at Will Call. I counted about half way down it as we walked to the door. 289 people wrapped around the block.
  • Point 3: I was going to Hello Dolly with Bette Midler!
  • Point 4: W somehow got a nice, friendly security guard to let us go thru the side entrance and we suddenly were at our row within 5 minutes. The others had drinks. I did not. #@$@#$@#
  • Point 5: Please do not be angry with us… Bette called and needed us in our seats. Couldn’t help it.

So, I’m sitting in my seat, and it’s about five rows back, so amazing… and… well, now that I think about it, this post has already gotten quite along. And the word of the day is vocal. I can’t remember if I meant vocal as in not sharing the thoughts in my head, or vocal as in screaming about them to anyone who will listen. And if I keep them in my head, does that mean I am not vocal? Or was the point to talk about the vocals at Hello, Dolly. Unfortunately, we’ve run out of time today with this post, as my priorities dictate it’s time to move on to writing the next Father Figure chapter. I’ll be back again tomorrow where it might be time to dish about the show last night. Dolly will have to wait 24 hours.

YES, YES I AM

Love,

#$@$#@$%@# JERK @#$@@#$@# RUDE  #$@@$#@$@# (AKA Insensitive Me)

Aside: While all this was true, I hope you know I’m just being humorous today… and I promise to talk about the Broadway show in tomorrow’s post… I just have to be vocal about that!

RECOMMENDED BLOGGER

• Today’s 365 Daily Challenge recommended blogger to know is Linda @ Maine Paper Pusher. Linda and I met online about two months ago through another fun blogger, and I feel like everyone already knows this wonderful woman, so why would I need to include her in my Recommended Bloggers… right? But on the off chance you don’t know her, you should be clicking the link above to peruse her site and then click the follow button on hers. Start with the post from earlier this week where she tells us how she is like a porcupine. Yes, a porcupine. So on point! Linda is always an extremely funny poster and comment writer — I never know what to expect but it always provides an undeniably interesting and funny perspective that will make you tilt your head and say “what is she talking about… oh, wait… that’s totally true!” We’ve had some good banter going back and forth, all starting when I tagged her on an award or some other post. It was a doozy of a tag that would cause her hours to decide on what content, so she let me have it — in a totally hysterical way. It was the start of a great online friendship which makes me smile each day. I read all her posts and try to keep up with the wit, though I usually fail miserably. If you’d like to learn more about her but not from me (maybe you don’t even like me!), check out what is on the site’s About Me (AKA Life is Good in Cornville) section:
    • “I wear many hats: dog mom, silly auntie, baffling wife.  I’ve been “retired” for 3 years following a diagnosis of epilepsy that continues to stump the docs.  Mostly, I just hang out in our old farmhouse in Cornville, Maine.   Our house is in the country so I get to watch deer and wild turkeys in my back yard.  Bald eagles fly overhead and the view from my living room is a horse pasture.  Life is good in Cornville, Maine. On the inside, the house is a circus.  I have two Great Danes, two cats, a collection of fish, and my ever-suffering husband Bill.  Yup, life is good in Cornville.”

55 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 151 – Vocal

August 10, 2017 at 9:29 AM

Love reading about your city adventures, James! 🙂 Hello, Dolly was one of my Grandpa’s favorite songs. He used to sing it to my aunt who’s name is Dolly, lol. 😉 This reminded me of it… Great post as usual. 💗

August 10, 2017 at 9:36 AM

What a great connection with your grandparents! 🙂

Thank you very much. Tomorrow will be about Hello Dolly, I promise! 🙂

August 10, 2017 at 9:34 AM

haha, that post was great! i totally get how you feel, because in berlin it’s kind of the same thing. i had to laugh a lot while reading this post and i am looking forward to read about show! 🙂

Patty said:
    August 10, 2017 at 9:38 AM

First I want to say…this is my favorite post yet! You had me in stitches. I feel like that sometimes when I am out and I am too nice to say anything. But in my mind is a full out sailor. haha I can’t wait to hear about Bette in Hello Dolly! I love Bette. I have seen Broadway Hello Dolly two or three times (not with Barbara or Bette though 😦 ), but I watched the movie several times over the years. My dad and I take in the Broadway shows when they come our way. I absolutely love Broadway. I hope you guys had a lovely time, wish I could have been there. 🙂

August 10, 2017 at 9:46 AM

I wish you were here too… would be a blast. And I look forward to chatting about Hello Dolly after tomorrow to compare notes.

A sailor, eh? I can almost picture that…. interesting… I’ll have to look out for it in your posts go-forward.

Patty said:
        August 10, 2017 at 9:54 AM

Yep, my daddy says I cuss like a sailor! I try not to but it is really really hard. Looking forward to tomorrow then. 😍

Holly B / Dressedtoread said:
    August 10, 2017 at 9:38 AM

Had to LOL! Great Post!

Esther said:
    August 10, 2017 at 10:25 AM

Haha! I like this one 😉😅

This “vocal” is definitely you sharing the thoughts in your head.

declutteringmylifeweb said:
    August 10, 2017 at 11:00 AM

You should understand all those tourists. They might have economised for years to travel to the US by plane and spend there a week. As the reputation of New York is that it is really a dream destination they can feel be bound to rave about everything.
    When my family went to the sea for the first time, my brother cried out that sea was similar to our national poddle. I think it was a joke. But based on my mother’s face, she did not find it funny, and we were expected to enthuse about it.

August 10, 2017 at 11:42 AM

Very true. And I welcome them (everyone!) which is why I just let it fester in my head and try to make it funny on the blog instead of actually saying or doing anything. 🙂

what sea was this?

August 10, 2017 at 11:36 AM

LOL I’m afraid I would probably be one of those people standing in your way as my husband says I am oblivious to my surroundings. I just think I am focused on what I am looking at. As far as being vocal, I heard you all the way out here on the other side of the country, so yes.

August 10, 2017 at 11:46 AM

Awesome, I’m louder than I think I am! 🙂

If you were there, I’d be just a quiet and nice! I really just complain in my head and here. Not in person.

I totally get how the atmosphere can encompass someone. When I’m traveling and in another city or country, and around something that is a tourist area, I never think about it possibly being where someone lives too, and that they need to get around… might be working while I’m trying to get my photos in. So in the end, I totally understand it. And I chose to have dinner there. And go to a show. So I certainly can’t seriously complain!

August 10, 2017 at 11:56 AM

Oh dear Jay! You will be pleased to know you aren’t alone! I’m the person that even yells at kids to get out of the way when they are blocking my path! Tourists are the worst! I’ve always been clever when I’ve been to New York and visited with friends who live in the city so I don’t have to play the lost tourist card! 😉 It’s always the best way to do tourism!
    And I can’t wait to hear about Bette in Hello Dolly! That’s so exciting! We need lots of details please! 🤗

August 10, 2017 at 12:35 PM

I’ll do my best with the details! Maybe I’ll ask my pals for quotes to include! 🙂

August 10, 2017 at 12:46 PM

Ooh good idea! I’d love to see Bette in something that would be amazing! I’m gonna need to fly over sometime!

August 10, 2017 at 12:12 PM

1) great post.. 2) I’ve been wanting to write a dear tourists please don’t go to Times Square post for awhile- thank you for doing it more brilliantly than I could 3) can’t wait to hear about show!!!

August 10, 2017 at 12:36 PM

I’m quite certain you would have done it as much justice if not more.

And you should write that post.

August 10, 2017 at 12:37 PM

It’s tentatively titled a guide to vacationing in NYC……with a few veiled references why you avoid times square

August 10, 2017 at 12:30 PM

Lol… I just feel like you channeled your inner Nel because all this sounds like exactly what I say on a daily basis and I don’t even live in a tourist town! But I also cuss a lot. I try not to but they just flow out of my mouth so easy (except when I’m talking to cool people like you on the phone) :P. Woohoo! Shoutout to Linda! Love her!

Amanda Writes said:
    August 10, 2017 at 12:50 PM

Sorry about your day!

foodzesty said:
    August 10, 2017 at 12:59 PM

hahaha so funny! 🙂

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
    August 10, 2017 at 1:10 PM

I absolutely loved this post. It was a great stream of consciousness post. Thanks for taking us along on the ride yesterday! I can’t wait to hear about Hello, Dolly! Bette is fabulous is whatever she does.

Stephanie said:
    August 10, 2017 at 7:38 PM

Loved your post!! It was such a fun read after a few days break from the internet (much needed) 😊! I love Streisand in Hello Dolly… one of my favorite movies, but I’m betting Midler was awesome! And I’m so glad you picked Linda for your blogger of the day ❤❤❤ She’s one of my favorite people of all time!! Okay….back to relaxing and vacationing for a bit, lol!

August 10, 2017 at 7:54 PM

Thank you. I’m so glad you are getting a break and relaxing! Have fun!!!

Stephanie said:
        August 10, 2017 at 8:05 PM

You’re welcome! And thank you 😀 I will!!

becarefulwithovidiulatudorin said:
    August 10, 2017 at 10:16 PM

It’s very interesting.

becarefulwithovidiulatudorin said:
    August 10, 2017 at 10:17 PM

If you don’t mind,then please check my wordpress.I want to raise your awareness about cyber crime and stop it as soon as possible.thank you so much.have a nice day!

vinnieh said:
    August 11, 2017 at 8:08 AM

I’ve been known to be vocal when the occasion calls for it. And I must say, your work ethic on here is enviable.

August 11, 2017 at 8:19 AM

vocal can be good. thanks for the compliment! today’s post actually worked out.

vinnieh said:
        August 11, 2017 at 8:20 AM

Yes, vocal can be good but also get me in trouble.

August 11, 2017 at 8:23 AM

ha, that could mean a lot of things

vinnieh said:
        August 11, 2017 at 8:23 AM

Was that a bit of innuendo there? Haha.

August 11, 2017 at 8:30 AM

I’m too innocent for that.

vinnieh said:
        August 11, 2017 at 8:30 AM

I understand.

vinnieh said:
        August 11, 2017 at 8:31 AM

I must say on another note, it’s nice that you recommend other bloggers for all of us to discover. It’s a very amiable trait.

August 11, 2017 at 8:36 AM

Thank you. It’s important to connect with others and share different people’s perspectives, so I love the interaction.

vinnieh said:
        August 11, 2017 at 8:37 AM

Interaction is one of the best parts of blogging. It’s a whole network of fun and discussion.

Judy said:
    August 11, 2017 at 9:22 AM

Thanks for the laugh.

Darque Dreamer Reads said:
    August 11, 2017 at 3:32 PM

Do you have a lot of humidity out there? It gets up to 115 here in AZ. Blah! Speaking of yesterday. I found a scorpion in my cookbook and thought I was going to have a heart attack!!

August 21, 2017 at 7:16 PM

Sounds here like you need that vacation.