365 Challenge: Day 152 – Matchmaker

Matchmaker: a person who arranges relationships and marriages between others, either informally or, in certain cultural communities, as a formal occupation

dolly

Ever since I saw Hello, Dolly earlier this week, I cannot get some of the songs out of my head, nor the other famous one: “Matchmaker, Matchmaker, Make Me a Match…” All these tunes prompted me to make today’s 365 Daily Challenge word ‘matchmaker.’ At some point in our lives, we’ve all met or been exposed to some form of this meddler, the (wo)man who takes it upon himself or herself to set up other people, trying to bring joy and happiness into a new couple’s life as they meet for the first time. It’s a divisive topic. Some say “bring it on,” while others scream “mind your own business.”

Looking back throughout my days, I’ve been setup on a date with someone else a few times; it never worked out. I luckily have no horror stories to tell, as the worst that ever happened to me was that the guy was quite fickle. A friend from high school thought we’d be perfect together, so we all up met up for drinks. The match brought one of his friends (a girl), I brought one of mine (a girl), and then we had the matchmaker (a girl) who brought us together. Date seemed to be going fine, but the girl he brought kept sitting on his lap, crossing the line between very friendly and ‘did you two need a room?’ Though I would usually just ignore it, the entire situation puzzled me, as we were kind of on a date, yet tried to make it a casual group thing. I felt forced to ask the question… explain my point of view… but my words fell into a deep hole, and I’m not sure an “ah-ha moment” ever actually came out on the other side either. Nonetheless, I doubt you care to hear the end of that story. The point being… matchmakers… always trying to meddle in other people’s lives assist their friends.

Dolly is a matchmaker in the 1880s in New York City and Yonkers. She’s a widow who holds hundreds of jobs, always with a business card and a new title for whatever you need. She brings together couples all across the bustling city, ignoring her own needs until she’s simply grown too tired of it all. Enter a somewhat charming and rich older man who is searching for a wife… oodles of antics occur and in the end, many couples are united despite all the chaos that ensues. It’s an overly simple summary of a truly remarkable show, but since these posts won’t be as endless as they’ve been in the past (I hear you cheering — NOW STOP THAT!), it shall suffice. I’d heard of the show before the revival came to Broadway, but had never seen it. My friends were absolute crazed when it came back to life with Bette Midler and David Hyde Pierce in the lead roles. They insisted on tickets, I shrugged my shoulders. “Sure, sounds fun, do what you will…” I said. They shot me furtive glances, I heard the whispers… “Has he lost his mind, it’s Bette.” Then I watched a performance on the Tony’s and thought, ‘oh, this could be good.’

And yes, the show was amazing, despite the concerns that grew inside my head over the course of the following weeks. You see, some ladies in my apartment building had been gossiping about it weeks ago when we were all at the gym. They sat on a weight bench for about thirty minutes admiring the lovely equipment. I was doing some weird form a squats and lunges, listening in as one does in the gym when seventy-ish women are talking about the show you’re soon to see. “Her voice wasn’t as good as I expected.” “She called out a couple of days and might not finish the run.” I tried to complete my routine, but it just wasn’t working anymore. Not because my life would be over if I missed seeing Bette. But W’s life might be… he had his heart set on seeing her in the show. And I don’t like seeing his heart in a bad place.

And a funny thing about W and me, at least in as far as how he and I met; it was through a matchmaker of our own. I know, crazy how things come together despite what I said earlier. But I promise, there’s no trickery at hand here. This particular matchmaker was quite pushy. Every day I had a message, a reminder, ‘You two should really meet. You’d be good together.” There’d be side-by-side pictures displayed on a phone screen with a few comments dropped to convince me. “You’ve got so much in common. And you live so close to one another.” I believe there were even percentages and blocks being discussed. And then on a weekly basis, a reminder would show up. “You haven’t checked anyone else out this week. Aren’t you forgetting about someone?” You see… our particular meddler was none other than “Match.Com.” Yes, we met through the Internet. And each day, it would tell me he lived a few blocks away from where I worked. Our profiles had 95% in common. And that I still hadn’t exchanged a message with anyone else on the site. But I digress… online dating… perhaps a topic for another day.

Hello, Dolly was all that you’d expect it to be. It’s one of those shows that is unafraid to truly connect with the audience. Certain lines in the show that related to problems in today’s political dramas garnered funny facial expressions from the actors, tons of laughs from the audience. Bette and David took the art of repetition and doing nothing to extremes. In at least 4 or 5 moments, they did zilch on stage for at least two minutes, but it was captivating. Sometimes she was trying to feed him, others she ate food herself while nothing else happened. How many marshmallows can one woman stuff in her mouth? I think they were marshmallows. And every night? Poor Bette, that’s not good for the body. I should know. It’s how I eat my cookies. When I get them. Someone told me I couldn’t have them anymore.

The voices were good, not stellar, but when combined with everything else, it transported you to the setting and you felt absolutely enamored with it all. I knew none of the music, yet it enthralled me. I knew none of the actors other than the two leads, yet I have a few selected to follow to other shows. Though the story took place nearly 150 years ago, it was timeless. The staging was marvelous. The entrances and exits were unexpected yet what we’d all predict if we had a moment to stop being entertained so we could actually process what was happening. It was non-stop shenanigans with a fresh breath of comedic timing and the humor we absolutely all needed. If you’re going to be in NYC, pre-plan as it’s hard to acquire the tickets. But if you have the chance to see the show wherever you are, it’s definitely worth it.

Have you ever seen Hello, Dolly? Been to a matchmaker? Suffered through online dating? Think of the stories we could share…

RECOMMENDED BLOGGER

• In honor of this lovely show, I am not including a Recommended Blogger to know today. It deserves the spotlight all on its own. We’ll return with regularly scheduled programming over the weekend.

57 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 152 – Matchmaker

August 11, 2017 at 8:21 AM

awww that sounds great! i’m glad you enjoyed the show and had a great night! and thanks for sharing your story! 🤗

August 11, 2017 at 8:22 AM

Oh what a lovely post! Thank you for sharing about this!
    I’ve been through lots of dates thanks to people matchmaking most of them painful! I also tried the whole match.com thing and that was actually torturous! I met Hubs online, he was very persistent and I only agreed to meet him so I could tell him to go away but apparently that didn’t go to plan! Ironically, we have very little in common but we seem to make it work.

vinnieh said:
    August 11, 2017 at 8:29 AM

So glad you enjoyed the show. I think everyone has known a matchmaker at one time or another in life.

Kip Walkin said:
    August 11, 2017 at 8:36 AM

Hey Jay, how are you doing today? Another interesting and witty post.👍 As for matchmakers, I’d often tried to be matched, just for the heck of it, but it’s always been more complicated along the way than when it started out. It’s basically online, so the matchmaking machine ends up muddling up more than making any reasonable matches. I guess I’m glad it never really worked out back then trying to grow up and in search of me.😄😄 Because for some of the weird options it threw at me, I wonder were my life would’ve been. I will try to check out Hello, Dolly. Sounds watchable. Thanks man! Do have a great day ahead!👍✌

August 11, 2017 at 8:44 AM

Thank you. Good today. About to shut down and begin writing. I appreciate the comments. 🙂 have a great day, too.

declutteringmylifeweb said:
    August 11, 2017 at 8:37 AM

I have already been recommended some “very nice guys” by my single female friends, but all of them turned out to be not so nice. When the advisor lady was in a relationship these suggestions were more valuable. Can you imagine a single lady seeking romance offering a really good guy to another girl? I can not really. 😉

August 11, 2017 at 8:44 AM

how interesting… she can only be single if she clearly states she wants to be single!

declutteringmylifeweb said:
        August 11, 2017 at 8:47 AM

then what is the expression for girls who are not in a relationship although they want to but not at any price?

August 11, 2017 at 8:55 AM

clever? smart? I’m no matchmaker myself, so I don’t know that I would even know…

Patty said:
    August 11, 2017 at 8:52 AM

Hello Jay! 🙂 I love your post today. I am glad you enjoyed the show. I really wish I lived near New York. I want to go to the shows there soo bad. We would be fast friends for sure. As for match makers, my cousin set me up with someone when I lived in NC for a bit. He was an ex underwear model and very yummy. Unfortunately the relationship was a dead end. I wanted more in the relationship than he was ready to give. I think while I lived thereI was matched up three other times. None working out. 😦 But hey it was a good time.

August 11, 2017 at 12:13 PM

An underwear model must have been quite fun! We would have fun. You and I. Although the underwear model too, I’m sure. LOL

🙂

Kiersten said:
    August 11, 2017 at 9:43 AM

I’m glad you enjoyed the show. I’ve always wanted to see that but haven’t gotten the chance yet.

I am fortunate enough to say that I haven’t had to deal with many matchmakers in my dating life. Probably because I was involved with the same person for the majority of my adult life. Even after we broke up I was hesitant to jump on any of those dating sites or let anyone play matchmaker for me. The whole thing sounds horribly nerve wracking. There are so many horror stories.

August 11, 2017 at 12:14 PM

maybe those past things make us stronger! 🙂 Thanks for sharing. Glad you didn’t have to many matchmakers to deal with.

August 11, 2017 at 9:52 AM

💚 That song is going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the day!! 😉

Patrick Dykie said:
    August 11, 2017 at 11:00 AM

Thank your for a great post. I come to New York once in awhile from Pa. to see shows. The last was, “School of Rock.” How is the pricing on Hello Dolly? I would love to see it. Shows like Hamilton are out of my budget. I’m glad match.com worked for you. 95% match is pretty good. You should write a post on online dating.

August 11, 2017 at 12:16 PM

It’s been years since I had online dates, though I could try to remember a few!

I think the prices are almost as bad as Hamilton right now with Bette in it… but once she leaves, maybe it will reduce some.

Thanks for sharing.

August 11, 2017 at 11:11 AM

I have heard of Hello Dolly but had no idea what it was about. My older sister and her girlfriend tried to fix me up with the girlfriend’s brother. We had one “date” and that was it. When he made the comment about my outfit that “If that was on a man it would be called a leisure suit, right?” I knew we weren’t going anywhere. We saw “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” so that was beneficial – not much conversation necessary between us. Good story, Jay. Happy Friday.

August 11, 2017 at 12:16 PM

I’m glad you ditched him! Not a good one.

Happy Friday, thanks for commenting and your compliment. 🙂

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
    August 11, 2017 at 11:57 AM

I’m glad you enjoyed the show. 🙂 I love Bette Midler and David Hyde Pierce. Both are great actors.

I’ve met two of my significant others online. Both were long term relationships, but each ended for one reason or another. I’m still friends with one of the guys. The other one actually died of skin cancer a few years ago but we had not remained friends after splitting. A third guy that I dated for a few months was introduced to me by a friend. Unfortunately, that one did not end well. Nowadays I don’t wish to date at all, I’m happy being single and being able to do what I want, when I want to do it, so I don’t accept any proposals to “set me up with a friend”. Ummm, thanks but no. I’m happy just the way I am. 🙂

August 11, 2017 at 12:18 PM

I’m glad you had some luck for a temporary time period with online dating. But sometimes it’s better to wait for it to happen when you least expect it. You’re so young, it could happen anytime. 🙂

cwhiteweb said:
    August 11, 2017 at 12:32 PM

You and “Wallace” met on the Internet!! Super cute! Yea, I called him Wallace. Tomorrow, he’ll be Walter, any the next day, Wesley. You just watch 😀😊

August 11, 2017 at 12:51 PM

This is so cool. I too met my husband online, well not totally, but he bought a quilt off me to gift to his brother. I sell handmade goods online and that’s how we met. When I met him to deliver it, I just knew he was the one. This was 17 years ago when match was fairly new. Ironically, we both had profiles on match, but didn’t meet there. We had some fun stories to share though from previous dates! I won’t scare you with those…

I know so many people who met online. Funny how that works.

I truly enjoyed this story, James. I’m glad you and Winston got together. 🙂 Glad you enjoyed the show too. Great post… 💗

RobbyeFaye said:
    August 11, 2017 at 3:24 PM

How strange, not 10 minutes earlier I saw a clip from Fiddler on the Roof on another blog which made me want to see more clips, so I watched Matchmaker, Matchmaker, too (along with several others from that play)!
    Glad you were able to see and enjoy the play. Someday I’ll get to NY and see a Broadway play.

August 11, 2017 at 6:04 PM

I haven’t seen the revival, but I would like to in a universe that adds hours to days, and days to weeks…….the music is contagious! Bizarre we both talked about dating apps today…..yours is somewhat more wholesome than mine….imagine that…you more wholesome than me. Oddly….I’ve never been set up. I know….crazy …right?

August 11, 2017 at 7:09 PM

Judging from what was said on the Today Show, you saw the Divine Ms. Middler just in time!

janieleeds said:
    August 14, 2017 at 6:55 AM

I’ve heard Hello Dolly was awesome. I’ve only seen the tv version unfortunately. But I have friends b/c now i”m divorced who have done the matchmaking thing and the online dating thing. I’ve had a few people tell me that they are going to set me up with a friend, but nothing yet. I’m a bit leary of the whole online dating thing and keep hoping I’ll meet someone through a friend or a friend of a friend. So glad you and W found eachother! 🙂

August 14, 2017 at 6:59 AM

Thank you. It was awesome. Online dating is, at least in my opinion, an option for anyone. It can be scary, but as long as you approach it the same way as meeting someone thru a blind date or in person, it should be fine. Hold em accountable to the same standards online. No need to meet until after enough time has passed with a few good exchanges of info / personality / pictures / tone. And if they don’t have a few other social media profiles, then maybe some extra caution. I understand hiding behind the internet wall and looking out for the less than good ones. But also need to be somewhat available, so i if they are hiding, might be a sign to stay away. Good luck.

janieleeds said:
        August 14, 2017 at 7:49 AM

Thank you for your wise words Jay. I’m not ready for it yet, but thinking about it. Just hoping someone comes my way without having to dip my toes in that pool! lol I have plenty of friends who have done it but not with success. Guess we’ll see what happens. Surely I’ll be blogging about it at some point, when I get my courage up! LOL

August 14, 2017 at 9:59 AM

I look forward to hearing about the success!!!!

janieleeds said:
        August 14, 2017 at 12:13 PM

Thanks…me too!

vinnieh said:
    August 14, 2017 at 7:01 AM

I think I need to get back in the dating game. I’ve not had much luck because I can be shy, but lately I’ve felt more confident. So any single ladies out there, I’m here.

August 14, 2017 at 7:04 AM

haha! good advertisement, lol!

vinnieh said:
        August 14, 2017 at 7:04 AM

It was the best I could do. I’m just a bit hopeless at the dating game.

August 14, 2017 at 7:11 AM

Maybe you’ve just exhausted the options in your immediate area!

vinnieh said:
        August 14, 2017 at 7:11 AM

Any advice on what to do?

August 14, 2017 at 7:18 AM

I was the world’s worst dater! All depends on what you’re looking for and where you’re looking. You might need to try something different than planned. Or try online but with someone far enough away you can’t just easily meet up, at least until you’ve established a good rapport thru words and messages.?

vinnieh said:
        August 14, 2017 at 7:20 AM

I’ve taken your advice on board. Probably, the girl of my dreams will appear when I’m least expecting it.

August 14, 2017 at 7:22 AM

haha… that’s what they say, but then again… isn’t that just a fact? No one sits there saying “is she the one” for every woman that passes… at some point, it is a surprise… so maybe a little hunting is ok!

vinnieh said:
        August 14, 2017 at 7:22 AM

I’m keeping an open mind on the future.