365 Challenge: Day 153 – Routine

Routine: a sequence of actions regularly followed; a fixed program

hhj

A conversation recently held by someone I know:

• Setting:
    • New York City, East Side, 12th Floor of Apartment Building, 8:30 AM
    • Living Room Couch
  • Characters:
    • Jay #1: Type A Personality, People-Pleaser
    • Jay #2: Old, Sleepy & In Need of a Vacation
    • W: Significant Other (either J1 or J2, still undetermined)
    • Ryder: almost 10-year old shiba, AKA the food whore

J1: OK, what’s on tap for this morning? Daily post. Check messages. Breakfast. Finish edits to Glass novel.

J2: Sleep. And shut up, I’m not ready to deal with you.

W: Did you want yogurt for breakfast?

J1: Yes, please.

J2: Grumble. Don’t speak to me. Not conscious yet.

Ryder: I’ll have some. <He jumps off the couch on W’s side, stretches on the carpet, jumps up the couch on J2’s side. J1 is in the middle trying to come up with a topic for the 365 Daily Post. >

J1: There is no yogurt for Ryder today. He needs to have a non-human food day.

J2: Shut up.

Ryder: I don’t speak with J1 anymore. Only J2.

<Yogurt arrives hand-delivered with more coffee, too.>

J1: Thank you!

J2: I need my bed.

W: Did I snore again?

Ryder: I’m waiting. <A paw reaches out and scratches J2’s leg.>

J1: I can’t decide what to write for today’s 365 Daily Challenge.

J2: Put a picture of me sleeping with a sign that says “out to bed.”

J1: I don’t need this from you.

J2: So write your post and leave me alone with my yogurt and my Ryder.

J1: What about W?

J2: He’s already done and getting ready for the gym.

J1: Don’t we have to go to the gym?

J2: Yes, you do. I don’t.

J1: How is that possible? We’re the same person.

J2: Nap time.

W: I’m going to the gym.

J1: Go for me, too?

Ryder: Um, you gonna eat that? <Paw pushes empty container across the end table to the floor.>

J1: Did you just take my yogurt?

J2: Zzzzzzzz.

Ryder: Lick, Lick, Lick. I prefer the honey flavor, not this strawberry one. Aftertaste.

W: Get your own next time. Wait, why does he have your yogurt cup?

J1: Zzzzzzzz.

J2: Zzzzzzzz.

Ryder: Zzzzzzz.

Yes, this is an example of a normal Saturday morning routine in my apartment. I like routines. They are comforting. They help me keep everything moving along in the right direction. Some routines are good. Like working out. Eating yogurt. Sleeping. Some routines are bad. Like letting Ryder eat dairy.

Another thing that’s become a routine is me talking to myself as if I really am two people. It used to be a silly joke or expression I’d say every so often. Now I’m beginning to believe it’s actually true. And so while I thought the word of today might have been “prolific,” or “congratulations,” or “sleepy,” I decided to type out this morning’s conversation as best I could remember it.

Hence why today’s post is a non-routine one… instead of something witty and informative about me, you’re getting a glimpse into a guy who’s written so much fiction this week, he had little energy to dream up a routine post. Don’t yell at him too much. J1 can only handle so much stress. And J2 (that’s me, closing this one up) is not in the routine habit of cleaning up his mess.

RECOMMENDED BLOGGER

• Today’s 365 Daily Challenge recommended blogger to know is Mama Cass @ Aspen Trees Book Review. We met online a few months ago over a few different book reviews but it quickly turned into frequent discussions on each other’s posts. For some reason, she calls me Superman and throws quiz questions at me about things I probably should know but do not. In turn, I do my best to confuse her on tricks in the WordPress world of blogging. But the honesty and depth of thought in her reviews is quite good, which is reason enough to check out her book reviews. And then peruse the entire site. Between our shared love of 80s music, the Stephanie Plum series and several TV shows, we always have fun chatting. If you have any of those in common with us, you’ll love her, too. If you’d like to learn more about her but not from me, check out what is on the site’s About Me section:
    • “I have been reading since the time I could walk.  50 years later and I read approximately 150 books a year.  I want each author to take me to a land, a time, a place of their choosing.  I am merely along for the ride.I read many different genres of books, because I love diversity, sociology and culture. So, that being said, you might find books about African American literature, books about Buddhism or Muslim, or a gay or lesbian love story.  I don’t believe in just reading what is familiar, that’s a good way to miss out. I recently started reviewing books and am happy to start blogging them. I live with my family in Colorado and we all enjoy the beautiful outdoors.  I love nature and all animals.  I believe in spirituality and diversity in all things. Enjoy cooking, hiking, bicycling and healthy living.  Learning Tajifit.  Thank you for being here.”

56 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 153 – Routine

August 12, 2017 at 8:53 AM

Hahahahahaha!!! I loooove this post! Thanks for the laugh, Jay! Hope you have a wonderful Saturday!

August 12, 2017 at 9:00 AM

I’m with J2. Grumble, grumble, why can’t I ever sleep in, grumble! Glad Ryder got the yogurt even though he didn’t like it haha

declutteringmylifeweb said:
    August 12, 2017 at 9:06 AM

It is the better case to have “only” two different voices in your head! 🙂

Mama Cass said:
    August 12, 2017 at 9:28 AM

Jay, you do know how to bring laughter to all of us. I have to admit, I’m a J2 in the mornings, though not today. You’re a sweetheart and I like you, I really like you!

Btw, which actress was in the bathroom when Michael J. Fox announced her as the winner of best actress in a tv drama?

August 12, 2017 at 10:59 AM

🙂 Thank you. J2 in the mornings is a good personality trait. But J1 in the afternoon is better!

Hmm… I’m gonna guess on this one as I really don’t know. Assuming this was when he was on either Family Ties or Back to the Future, so a popular actress back then… maybe Brooke Shields?

Mama Cass said:
        August 12, 2017 at 11:07 AM

Chicago Hope’s Christine Lahti. Michael J. Fox announced that she had won best actress in a TV series, only to learn Lahti was in the bathroom. Had the notoriously free-flowing alcohol taken its toll on Lahti? Perhaps to distract the audience from speculating, Robin Williams jumped on stage and filled the booze-y silence with Southern cousin jokes until the winner arrived.

August 12, 2017 at 11:11 AM

too funny, I vaguely recall this happening now… alcohol does impact you when you’re nervous!

Mama Cass said:
        August 12, 2017 at 11:32 AM

I’ve been listening to OMD today. Did you like them?

August 12, 2017 at 12:03 PM

I’m not sure I’ve heard anything I recall specifically. hmmm….

Mama Cass said:
        August 12, 2017 at 12:34 PM
        August 12, 2017 at 3:47 PM

will check it out later when i am home 🙂

aquibview said:
    August 12, 2017 at 9:55 AM

J2 is cool.

August 12, 2017 at 10:15 AM

Haha! I have to stick with J2, at least for the weekend! 😉 Great post, James!

August 12, 2017 at 10:24 AM

I’m sat in the middle of a huge crowd and I’m practically rolling around on the floor I’m laughing so hard! I’m definitely getting a few strange looks, especially as a band is playing (I don’t like them) so people think I should be watching them rather than staring at my phone and exploding into laughter! 😆
    Nothing at all wrong with talking to yourself, I do it all the time! Even my anti-psychotic meds haven’t stopped it! 😆
    Maybe it would be good to have a rest for a day, you have been working really hard! 😉

August 12, 2017 at 10:54 AM

Ha! I can totally see you there laughing among the crowd, especially with the pics you’ve been posting. 🙂 I need a day of rest! 24 hours sleep would be nice! LOL Hope you’re having fun. Talk to yourself aloud a few times in front of them all today too please.

August 12, 2017 at 10:56 AM

Haha! You’re wish is my command! While you have a rest I will make a complete fool of myself just for you! 😉😆

August 12, 2017 at 11:00 AM

haha awesome… i’ll be there in spirit

August 12, 2017 at 10:46 AM

Ha-Ha! I’m not really a #2 but I do need my coffee first thing in the morning. That place might get a bit crowded if W and Ryder get more than one personality going. Happy Saturday!

August 12, 2017 at 10:52 AM

I don’t think I could handle that! Ryder already has another one. When he’s bad, his name is Riley. 😉 Coffee makes everything better.

vinnieh said:
    August 12, 2017 at 12:13 PM

I like how you structured this, James. Your amiable personality and good humour really comes through. I’m continually impressed by your posts.

August 12, 2017 at 12:40 PM

hahaha once again you made me laugh! 😂 well done! i’m more of the J1 person although J2 sometimes gets out and then i just leave everything behind and sleep 😂
    great post as always! 🤗

superwifeandmummy said:
    August 12, 2017 at 12:41 PM

James, James, James. ..
    Y- Fronts. ..

August 12, 2017 at 3:49 PM

You found an article! OMG.

superwifeandmummy said:
        August 12, 2017 at 4:52 PM

She’s one of my favourite bloggers. She does one British word a day and writes a story about it.
        Today it was Y Fronts!

August 12, 2017 at 4:55 PM

i will have to follow this one!

superwifeandmummy said:
        August 12, 2017 at 4:56 PM

She’ll be over the moon!

Patrick Dykie said:
    August 12, 2017 at 12:47 PM

As a change of pace, that was great. Thanks. I think I may need a nap myself.

August 12, 2017 at 2:45 PM

Clones I tell ya! Lots of clones! Give that doggie a treat!

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    August 12, 2017 at 4:08 PM

hehehe this was so funny!!

foodzesty said:
    August 12, 2017 at 4:45 PM

🙂 🙂

August 12, 2017 at 5:09 PM

Who responded to comments J1 or J2?

mainepaperpusher said:
    August 13, 2017 at 2:27 AM

Hahaha, I can just picture that. It’s all W’s fault, you know. If he’d been there with extra coffee then you’d have stayed awake. But this way Ryder gets yogurt. Wait! Do you think W and Ryder are in on this together? I smell conspiracy!

Brittanie said:
    August 13, 2017 at 5:08 AM

Aha, I love the that thought process / internal dialogue…so relatable! 😅

janieleeds said:
    August 16, 2017 at 9:38 AM

Giggling! Love the dialogue! I think we are all 1 and 2 in the morning! LOL

August 25, 2017 at 10:11 PM

Variations in Saturday morning routine (or most other days) make me a most unhappy woman; and, you don’t ent to be around a most unhappy woman.

August 25, 2017 at 10:31 PM

No! I just want you to be happy!!! Are you doing ok in this hurricane?

August 26, 2017 at 4:22 AM

We are fine. Supported by prayers from friends and family all over the US. We feel blessed and protected. I went into more detail on a comment on your comment from the Bucket List most recent post. Today is Saturday, 3:18 CST, and we are taking turns staying up until this is over. There is no church Sunday, and it may be until Thursday before our schools open again because of predicted severe flooding. We have Blackboard and can teach over the computer if the schools are damaged enough that we can’t hold classes. Needless to say, there will be many “excused absences.” LOL One student e-mailed, wanting to know if essays were still due Monday because she “wasn’t sure [she] could get there.” LOL

August 26, 2017 at 7:37 AM

oh, students… how they love to push those deadlines. I responded do your other comment to see how you were doing. Won’t make you do double work with responses here! 🙂