365 Challenge: Day 161 – Corporate Jobs

Corporate Jobs: jobs I held immediately after college where I learned about corporate operations and business management

corporate.jpg

Sunday posts, the end of each week, have become a theme on This-Is-My-Truth-Now, organized by groups of five (5) focused on interesting things about my life. I’m continuing the trend of the seventh day, ending the week on Sunday, as a list (we know I love them) that provides more in depth knowledge about me.

• Weeks 1 – 5: Primary ethnicity groups and nationalities
  • Weeks 6 – 10: A to Z Favorites
  • Weeks 11 – 15: Colors with an important meaning
  • Weeks 16 – 20: Cities I’ve lived

The current set of 5 Sundays covers the major groups of roles / jobs / positions I’ve held over my career. Though I have had about fifteen titles over the years, when I broke it down into smaller groups, week three is all about the jobs I held in the beginning part of my post-college career.

• Quality Assurance Analyst
  • Copywriter
  • Associate Technical Writer
  • Process Analyst

jos.jpg

When we left off last week, I’d just gotten my college degree with a major in English and a few minors in the business world. What’s a guy to do when he has to make that long drive home from Pennsylvania all the way back to Long Island after graduation? Search for this first job, of course! It was May 1999. I arrived home on Saturday afternoon. I took no breaks. First thing Sunday morning, I combed through Newsday, our local paper, and selected a bunch of jobs that seemed appropriate for a smart guy with no real specific business skills or knowledge of what he wanted to do. One of those jobs was for Cablevision, the cable provider in the tri-state area, whose headquarters were in Bethpage — also the town in which I grew up and lived. I sent out my resume via fax from my computer… so if that doesn’t date me, along with the 1999 comment above, then you aren’t paying enough attention!

They called me that afternoon… “Do you really live in Bethpage?” … I said Yes … {Aside: Why would I lie about this?} … They had me in for an interview the next morning at 9 and by 12, they’d called back to offer a job as a contractor with one of their current consulting companies. They called me a Quality Assurance Analyst. Since the world was going to end a few months later when the Y2K (Year 2000) arrived, they needed someone to read all the letters from their vendors on the status of whether all the products that Cablevision used were Y2K-compliant. {Aside: Personally, I’d have used the time differently if the world was gonna end, but you know, that’s just me being silly.} Since I had strong communication and technical skills, they assumed I’d be good at this type of work. I was the final member of a ten-person team hired that summer, and we worked side-by-side for the next 7 months all in the name of preventing a complete and utter computer meltdown glitch. I like to think we saved the world, since no glitch happened. Must mean I was 1 of 10 heroes or heroines, right? Anyhoo… I worked on databases, mailings, reports, metrics and presentations.

When it ended (Y2K, not the world in case you were wondering), they asked me to join a team moving to work on similar types of tools but in NYC. I said ‘no,’ as I didn’t want to commute over an hour each way. At 22, I still hadn’t spent a lot of time in the city and didn’t want to overwhelm myself. I’d also just moved in with someone who followed me back from PA, as we’d begun dating right before graduation. He signed a lease in Bethpage to be near me, so I couldn’t just up and leave, right? So… my contract at Cablevision ended, which lead me to searching for a job again. I applied for an Office Manager role at an advertising agency, but they talked me into accepting a job as a Copywriter. They liked my writing background and business knowledge, assuming I’d be highly creative in their campaigns. Let me just start out by saying this was the truly the only job where I’ve ever been fired. I was writing marketing copy for a mannequin company, trying to describe mannequins in brochures and catalogs for prospective buyers. I told the truth. They didn’t want the truth. They wanted it to sound dreamy and wonderful. I’m thinking… it’s a mannequin. You put clothes on it and sell things. How much copy do you really need? Cutthroat business, I suppose. After 2 months, they had the “talk.” I wasn’t working out, but I could stay for two days and then be out of a job. Me being the pushy guy I really never had been before… argued for two weeks, noting that’s what I would have given if I chose to leave. They understood and let me stay for 2 weeks additional pay. I looked them up a few months later. They had gone out of business.

Jobless again, but only for one day. My former boss at Cablevision called to say they had a full-time job for me. I interviewed with several people and accepted the role of Associate Technical Writer, where I was responsible for writing all the training and user guides for all the software systems utilized at Cablevision. My knowledge of writing, education and technology was a great skill, they said. And it actually turned out to be something I was quite adept at. One would think that with two titles including the word “writer” in my job role, I’d have tried to write my novel back then. But no… I had to do it the hard way. Go work full-time jobs for another 15 years before finally caving in. More about that in a couple of weeks tho… that’s not today’s set of job skills.

After 9 months, I was promoted and moved from an Associate Technical Writer to a Process Analyst, where I then began documenting all the business processes in the technology and operations departments, so that they had formal policies and procedures. It was this job which enabled me to get the mortgage to buy my first house in Plainview, a fixer-upper where for nearly two years, all I ever did was work 60 hours each week and then come home to do construction. Oh, the memories… I learned so much about how the corporate operations of a company’s back-office truly work. It set the stage for my transition into a technology role, which will be next week’s focus for the fourth week of my various job groupings.

No, that’s not me. At least not today. Maybe 15 years ago. I don’t recall.

As I look back on these first three years of my career after graduating from college, it really helped formulate the stage for my future. It was a combination of all the things I had learned in school and had talent for, except I had little passion for any of them. Sure, it had some writing responsibilities, but not creative fiction. And don’t tell me that mannequin campaign counts. I had proposed a series of brochures about the story of a model’s life, but they told me I was being too creative which was the job of the account manager, not the little copywriter. Can’t win, huh? So… I can really say these were all valuable even if I never really loved them as much as I did my other roles. But I will say one of these bosses did become the first of two great mentors I’ve had in my life. And for that, I am quite grateful!

How about you? Which job trained you the most for your current role? Or the role you’d like to have? Any horrible boss stories? I can’t write about mine as I am not sure who is and isn’t reading this blog. So I’ll behave myself.

29 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 161 – Corporate Jobs

August 20, 2017 at 6:46 PM

Also probably a sign of the times that you were able to get your jobs so quickly. It isn’t always that easy now.

August 20, 2017 at 7:19 PM

No, you are so right! I have been on/off again looking for another job since I left mine last summer. I never thought it would take this long, granted I haven’t pushed myself as hard as I should.

Mommy Got Fired said:
      September 1, 2017 at 9:50 PM

Jobless almost two months. I was sure I’d have something by now.

September 4, 2017 at 4:55 PM

Good luck. Sometimes the right thing surprises you when it comes along.

September 5, 2017 at 11:25 AM

It is really hard and kind of scary but the full moon is coming this week. Put your intentions out there for your dream job. 🙂 The universe works in mysterious ways. Good luck.

September 5, 2017 at 11:28 AM

Good plan. Thanks for the heads up. Same to you. 🙂

shalini said:
    August 20, 2017 at 8:25 PM

Oh my, you have changed a lot of jobs. I was a doctor through out for 20 years, now I am thinking other stuff… I know i know, I am figuring out things quite early in life… But that’s me a child protégé…. Hehe.. Today I am trying and enjoying doing new stuff.
    Did I ever thank you for being there for me and being patient with me for my long absence. Kindly consider yourself thanked… I will be back
    Hasta la Vista baby

August 20, 2017 at 8:27 PM

You are welcome. But there’s no need to thank me. I’m sorry I didn’t check in sooner.

Always wishing you well. And yes, I have had a lot of jobs. We all go thru thinking about a complete job change. You’re in good company.

August 20, 2017 at 8:44 PM

I had one boss that was incredibly nasty…..I’d say he was a misogynist, but he was equally crappy to everyone. I think everything you do in life leads you to the next step….I know that’s not the answer you were looking for, but it’s Sunday night and I’ve been organizing all weekend and I’m brain dead….and no wise cracks about how that is my normal state….

declutteringmylifeweb said:
    August 21, 2017 at 2:11 AM

If i look back on my first three years I can see mainly frustration, perplexity and grumpy middle-aged colleagues. I had no idea what I wanted to do or what I was expected to do exactly.
    I have some horror boss stories. Actually I feel pity for a few bosses I have seen, because they know that they are incompetent, and unfit for the position.
    Does anybody teach them how to be a boss? It should be treated as a separate profession with proper trainings!

August 21, 2017 at 2:26 AM

I am really surprised you didn’t work out as a copywriter, that has really shocked me!
    I started out working for an American construction consultants who had a few offices here, I pretty much spent all my time for two years writing tender documents for massive projects in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. The number of times I spent working through the night to get documents finished is not even funny. I was made redundant from that job.
    Then I spent almost 10yrs working in law, doing everything from events (ugh) to PR, I got a taste of the full marketing experience and learned how to handle some really temperamental people.

August 21, 2017 at 6:55 AM

I was probably less creative when I first graduated, believing business was priority. LOL law and PR, what fun jobs! 🙂

August 21, 2017 at 7:32 AM

Haha! PR for law really not fun! *yawn* I can’t believe I lasted almost a decade!

Cozynookbks said:
    August 21, 2017 at 4:32 AM

I cracked up reading about the mannequin job, LOL.
    Many, many years ago (about 25), I worked for MasterCard. Looking back I’ve realized how much I learned from working there. Many skills I acquired there helped me throughout my life. I worked with a host of very bright people. I wish I would have appreciated it as much then as I do now.

August 21, 2017 at 6:56 AM

MC probably had such a range in what it offered, I can imagine it being a valuable place to start a career. Always seems better when looking back. 🙂

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
    August 21, 2017 at 12:43 PM

Wow. Those are some interesting jobs. I’ve only been fired once as well, but I totally blame that on the company and not myself. No one told me we needed brochures for a big meeting until the morning of and my boss at that company disliked using copy services like Office Max, so I was attempting to print these huge brochures (each is like 15-20 pages) on my tiny little color inkjet printer. Needless to say it did not go fast enough.

I think all of my jobs have prepared me in different ways for my current job and for the library world in general. I’ve had a lot of office manager/administrative assistant positions which help you learn time management and self-motivation to get things done plus some customer service skills. I don’t need the customer service skills quite as much in my current job, but I certainly did in my other library positions!

janieleeds said:
    August 21, 2017 at 5:24 PM

I commuted to NYC from NJ for years until I was so miserable with the 2 hr commute that I quit. I liked the beach too much to be in the city all the time, but I did enjoy all of the people I worked with as there was such a variety! Back in the day, I was in banking which I think is funny since I hate math! I worked in a restaurant for years (high school, college) part-time summers etc. and loved meeting people. I learned a lot about customer service and how to handle people from that job. I think everyone should work in the food service industry for a month so that they get a taste of how it feels. I bet people would tip better in the future if they had the experience. I haven’t been fired from a job, but then I’m not working now so who knows what the future will bring! And I agree with you, mannequins are mannequins – not much to say other than, dress them and redress them!

theGracetyle said:
    August 21, 2017 at 11:44 PM

I really like this post because it’s so relatable! After college, I was so helpless because all the internship and job opportunities that I got had nothing to do with my major. But those experiences that seemed useless back then have actually helped me get ahead in life find my true passion 😉. I was a pre-med student but a teaching internship that I happened to have at a school made me realize that I really enjoy teaching students more than going on rotations at a hospital. I love how life can lead me to the most unexpected paths sometimes.

August 22, 2017 at 6:54 AM

How true! Experience often tells you what you like and dislike more than guessing, which is usually how most of us choose our majors. It’s great you figured it out early enough to pursue what you really wanted. 🙂 Great share.

Mommy Got Fired said:
    September 1, 2017 at 9:52 PM

I worked for a narcissist for a year. I was too green in the corporate world to know I should have quit. Finally, he fired me and I was scarred for years. Who screams obscenities at their employees and publicly berates them?!

BusinessMgtblog said:
    September 18, 2017 at 9:35 PM

I like your post. It is soo true. With in my internship period also i am not doing works whuch were related to my field. But i take more experience. my boss was lawyer. So he always release his stress from us.
    Nice post.