365 Challenge: Day 166 – Comet

Cometa celestial object consisting of a nucleus of ice and dust and, when near the sun, a “tail” of gas and dust particles pointing away from the sun; the Broadway musical I watched this week

comet

A comet is basically a dusty snowball that shoots around the sun, often remarked for the images they create with trailing gases and the speed at which they can race through the galaxy. Sometimes that’s how we feel… like a comet shooting gases (our mouths off) all in the vain of trying to get somewhere. Although I try to keep my mouth shut 99% of the time, there have been moments where I just needed to vent. And that’s OK. Venting can be a healthy way to let off steam and propel you forward to whatever comes next.

A friend of W’s, who is also now a friend of mine, suggested we see the Broadway play, The Great Comet of 1812, this week. I love Broadway and I enjoy going to musicals and shows, but they can be expensive. When this one came up, knowing I had a list of others I knew I wanted to see, I wasn’t initially interested. I was also way too busy to stop and look up anything about it so I felt educated in my decision. I remembered seeing it mentioned at the Tony Awards when we watched them last June, but also uncertain if it had been nominated or just discussed. Then I remembered Josh Groban was in it, so I got excited and said, “yeah, let’s go.” The day finally came this week and we went to dinner first, where I asked about Groban’s role and the point of the whole show. Again, I really should have looked it up in advance. Two things happened at that moment: (1) Josh Groban isn’t in it anymore and (2) It’s an adaption of parts of Tolstoy’s ‘War and Peace.’

OK, three things happened, the third being me dropping my fork and grabbing my glass of cider — with alcohol, of course, as I was not thrilled about seeing the show anymore. But I hide it well and got through dinner, hoping maybe it wouldn’t be a boring show about fighting and fixing things and the world from 1812. I love history and I love all things based on timelines, but War and Peace on a weeknight? Another glass of cider… maybe two… dinner ends, we walk to the Imperial Theatre. I’m online, looking at all the advertisements and watching people on line waiting to get in. (Aside: oh, that was funny… on line… on line…)

It’s a Russian story, so I am starting to grow more intrigued. But at the same time, I’m worried it’ll be boring, despite my friend seeing it five previous times and raving about it. Sometimes I can be quite a lump when I get an idea in my head that something will be bad. And then I won’t let any positive thoughts shine through. By the way, that’s not a good way to be — I’ve worked hard to get rid of those parts of me… but every once in awhile they shine through. Kinda like a comet, I suppose. When we arrive in the theatre, I’m absolutely shocked, impressed, magnetized and confounded. They’d re-configured the entire theatre to look more like a cafe. Seats were removed in the normal seating area, replaced with mini-stages and walkways for the actors to wander around and interact with the audience a bit. There were seats on the stage, both regular seats and tables as though you were in a 19th century Russian club. It was breathtaking. I loved it and asked tons of questions in the fifteen minutes before ‘curtains’ opened, as there were no curtains. The actors had already been out wandering around talking to people. It truly was a remarkable show, in my top 5, and I’ve seen hundreds at this point in my life.

The music was incredible, everything from opera to rap, reggae to house club, ballads to rock songs. All original. All chosen to determine the mood of the character who was ‘center-stage’ in those scenes. The choreography was impeccable, almost like a circus performance with almost unbelievable body movements and dancing. The lighting was brilliant and always on point. I never pay attention to the lighting, but between smoke machines, lanterns, spotlights, strobe lights and lights descending and swinging around the entire theatre, the beauty never ended. Truly one of those shows were you are fully immersed in everything happening, as it’s basically a 360 degree play all around you. I don’t often buy albums or music, but I will be getting this one.

I also have a new theme for a giant birthday party next year. And I hate birthday parties. That’s how fun this show was. I implore anyone in the NYC area to try to get there before it closes on September 3rd. And if you miss it, find a performance somewhere near you just to hear the music and see the fantastic beauty. If you’re interested in learning more, below are the links to the Broadway play’s website and Wikipedia’s page on the show.

So be your own comet. Leave a trail. Shoot across the galaxy that is your world. And give things a chance before you get all pissy over something that you’ll end up loving!

37 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 166 – Comet

August 25, 2017 at 9:15 AM

Don’t knock it til you try it! I say that on a daily basis since I’ve come to the conclusion that most people are trolls and will be negative just cause.

Frank Frisson said:
    August 25, 2017 at 9:20 AM

It sounds like watching the show was a lot of fun. Opera to rap music! I definitely would’ve enjoyed it. Just like you, 99 perc of the time, totally quiet. Zombie. Then I burst and no one’s safe lol.

August 25, 2017 at 9:42 AM

Glad you ended up loving it! Great lesson here. Thanks for sharing. ♡

RobbyeFaye said:
    August 25, 2017 at 10:02 AM

Sounds like a great play. I would have enjoyed the eclectic mix of music as my tastes tend to run that way, too!
    Have a great weekend.

Nerd Narration said:
    August 25, 2017 at 10:26 AM

I am so jealous you got to see Comet! That was a slow burn appreciation for me — especially sans Groban — but outside of DEH it was all I heard about this year. Great post as usual!

August 25, 2017 at 2:40 PM

Thank you very much! I enjoyed it a lot. Definite one to listen to over and over again.

August 25, 2017 at 11:13 AM

Sounds amazing!! I will have to check out the music!

rachel said:
    August 25, 2017 at 11:17 AM

I love this show! I saw it in June and I’m seeing the final performance in September. It’s too bad you never got the chance to see Groban in the role, though, he was absolutely amazing. I’m glad you had fun, though!

August 25, 2017 at 11:27 AM

Wow that looks like a really cool environment for a show! I’d be afraid I’d miss part of the action if they are traveling all over the place.

August 25, 2017 at 11:29 AM

I think there may be tears if this show doesn’t come to London! I hadn’t even heard of it before you mentioned it, but I’m even a huge fan of War & Peace (yeah I’m one of those saddos!) 😆

mia said:
    August 25, 2017 at 12:29 PM

“Sometimes that’s how we feel… like a comet shooting gases (our mouths off) all in the vain of trying to get somewhere.” that’s so true… i just watched it last night and gosh i am blown away! your post gave me inspiration for my own review, thanks for sharing!

August 25, 2017 at 2:43 PM

Awesome, I just followed you so I can check out your review. Thanks for sharing.

Run Wright said:
    August 25, 2017 at 12:30 PM

Everyday, I write an inspirational line that I’ve heard in my journal. Today, it is:
    Be your own comet. Leave a trail. Shoot across the galaxy that is your world.
    That is such a great quote. Thanks for sharing about the play. I hadn’t heard about it so I will definitely check it out now. o

August 25, 2017 at 2:43 PM

Aw, that’s an honor to be in your journal. Thank you! I hope you can squeeze it in before it ends on 9/3.

melaniemolewriter said:
    August 25, 2017 at 1:46 PM

Wow, I love the seating area! So pleased that you liked the show. Great post too J 🙂

August 25, 2017 at 3:26 PM

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! There are so many shows I want to see before they close

August 26, 2017 at 4:35 AM

I understand and share the “lump” of assuming something is going to be bad. As a matter of fact, I am bad about making negative assumptions in all areas of my life: about people, about circumstances, and about past “histories.” I am working to get over this and am trying not to open my negative mouth and pass on these assumptions to people who are likely to repeat them as fact, saying, “Rae Longest said…” One can get in a “heap of trouble, pardner that way.”

roseelaineblog said:
    August 27, 2017 at 3:56 AM

It looked amazing, so pleased you enjoyed it 😊

shalini said:
    September 10, 2017 at 8:13 AM

Never seen a real comet. Mumbai is too polluted