My Novel: Father Figure (Week 8 – Friday, August 25th, 2017)

It’s been an extraordinary week full of intense focus and free-flowing words to the point that I nearly doubled the quantity I expected to complete this week. I’m still in a bit of shock, but the scariest part is as of this afternoon, I’ve completed 27 out 28 planned chapters. And I plan to finish writing the final chapters by Monday afternoon so that I can say the first draft is done. Don’t ask how it happened, just be glad! Without any further ado, I present to you Father Figure’s weekly status:

writer

Status:  Friday, August 25, 2017 – Week #8

• Chapters 17 thru 22
    • The goal was achieved. I actually completed the most complex portions of the novel, where all the major actions happen. It was a bit of an emotional week, living through what happened to these characters. As I was channeling the mindset when someone goes through what these wonderful extensions of my world have encountered, I found myself actually feeling depressed and excited. It’s only then that you can accept you’ve maybe dug deep enough to produce a solid story with good writing.
  • Chapters 23 thru 26
    • I wrote 4 additional chapters this week that hadn’t been planned. I’d finished my original commitment by mid-day Wednesday and decided to just “push” it, as many of you read in one of the 365 Daily Challenge posts earlier this week. These chapters were difficult, as I had to deal with the repercussions of all the drama and conflict unfolding. It’s a bit like throwing a halfway assembled puzzle into the air and finding that when it all comes falling down around you, you can see more clearly what needs to happen to finish it.
  • Favorite Line
    • One of the lines that just fell from my lips, which I hadn’t even thought of or considered during the outline, feels like a contender for my favorite one:
    • “All you’ve ever done is build a plan for my life so that you have something to regret when it falls apart. I am not the practice game for trying to figure out what you should have done with yours in the first place.”

Next Steps: Plan for Week #9

• Write chapter 28 to finish a complete first draft of the novel pre-editing. I expect it to end up at 350 pages or about 108K words. I also expect to open a bottle of champagne at dinner on Monday evening when it’s completed as a little toast to such a major accomplishment.
    • Nine (9) weeks ago you voted for the premise of Father Figure as my next novel. I had some vague ideas of what I needed to accomplish, but nothing concrete. And it took me three (3) weeks to outline and (5) five weeks to write the whole novel — only because of everyone’s faith in me. Thank you.
  • Round 1 Edit:
    • Re-read all 28 chapters and make notes for what needs to change, move or go
    • Highlight by color each of the different character and scene descriptions to ensure everything matches across the length of the novel
    • Finalize who will be the list of the first 3 to 5 beta readers
      • I might be ready to send out a few chapters to folks the day I leave for a trip to visit family in Louisiana 9/2 thru 9/5. If not then, it will be 9/17 – 10/1 while I’m in North Carolina and Florida.
      • If you have time to read while I’m away to provide feedback when I return, private message me on Twitter, Facebook or jamesjcudney4@gmail.com.

What’s on the author’s mind?

• The ending is still in heated debate. Two people have read chapters 1 and 2. A different set of two people are the only two people who have any idea what the whole story is thus far and what I’m considering doing if it’s a single book versus a potential series. Both of those people separately advised me to write the final chapter from both perspectives, which is double the work. But it might be double the pay off, so I plan to do this on Monday before I close out the first draft. I probably won’t let beta readers see both versions, perhaps just the one that sounds the best. But at least I have a fallback plan. Thoughts?
  • I’m learning more about myself from writing this book. When Amalia encounters her first conflict, I thought about what I’d do in her situation. Then I thought about what a girl her age in that situation might do. It seems I might have a few things in common with an 18 year girl from a small Ohio town. Who woulda thunk it? Not sure what it says about me either… ugh, life is quite a paradox.
  • I gained some confidence this week. I’ve written tons of book openings, outlines, and even gotten as far as writing a third of a few novels I never actually completed, before this one. But on Monday, I will have two fully written 350+ page novels under my belt. And you know what? I’m pretty darn excited and proud that I can accomplish a goal when I set my mind to it. My writing style has improved. My voice has grown strong. My perspective on life has changed for the better. I can’t tell you how much happier of a person I am by choosing this route for the future.

Meryl Streep is my favorite actress, so this is me right now!

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Summary of Father Figure (only read if you’re new to the book)

• One young girl’s need to escape the mundane life she’s grown up in and another young girl’s quest to find her father, unaware of all the circumstances they’ve both been placed in due to decisions and actions occurring nearly 20 years ago and that both women have made in the present. How well do you really know your parents? Do they truly understand you? Can you ever truly escape the past?
  • A contemporary fiction novel set in two time periods with two primary characters:
    • 1998 – Amalia Graeme, about to turn 18, attends college, leaving behind a mother with whom she had a difficult relationship. While Amalia has a boyfriend, Carter, she’s secretly attracted to an older professor, Dr. Jonah West. She begins an affair with him and realizes she must come clean to her boyfriend. After she tells the boyfriend, they have a huge fight and she leaves to find Jonah who she thinks can comfort her. Along the path, she’s attacked by a stranger and her life is never the same again. Amalia makes a few choices which will later have disastrous consequences.
    • 2018 – Amalia, going by Molly and living in NYC, sends her daughter, Brianna, away to college. Just like her mother, Brianna begins dating one of her professors, probably looking for a father figure, as she’s never met her real father. Brianna has always accepted her mother’s story that her father was a military man with whom Molly had a one-night stand and later found herself pregnant with no way to find him. When Brianna uncovers her mother’s old journal, she learns the shocking secret that her mother never knew who the father was because it could have been more than one man. As Brianna searches for clues to find her father, she stumbles upon a few facts which could completely change the future. But when the stranger who attacked her mother re-surfaces, not even Molly knows if she can protect her daughter anymore.

About Me
I am a writer. I am have signed a contract for a publisher on my first book, Watching a Glass Shatter. To see more, please check out the website for this novel where you will find the first 3 chapters, character bios and sample quotes.

I am writing my second novel, Father Figure, with plans to finish and submit it to a publisher in November, 2017. As part of the process to engage with my fans and followers, I am publishing a weekly status on the progress of this second book. For a description of this book, check out the post where my friends and followers voted for this book as my second novel.

Beyond these two books, I have a number of short stories, poems and other novels in various shapes and forms. I also read A LOT. First the book review goes on Goodreads, and then I send it on over to my WordPress blog at https://thisismytruthnow.com, where you’ll also find TV & Film reviews, Tags, Awards, Age/Genre/Book Reads and Author Spotlights, as well as the revealing and introspective 365 Daily Challenge.

You can also access my social media profiles to get the details on the who/what/when/where and my pictures. Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Vote in the poll and ratings. Thanks for stopping by. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators.

45 thoughts on “My Novel: Father Figure (Week 8 – Friday, August 25th, 2017)

August 25, 2017 at 3:42 PM

Hooray! I’ll be messaging you later cause I have to tell you something that might boost your confidence a bit more. But I have to close up the office so it’ll be another hour or two.

August 25, 2017 at 3:44 PM

awesome! so sorry I haven’t written today, been on a major roll, but I can’t wait to chat!

August 25, 2017 at 3:48 PM

I am so super excited for you! Keep me posted! I know you will, I will just pester you until you tell me anyway! 😉
    Congratulations on all of your hard work, so proud!

August 25, 2017 at 3:59 PM

wow jay, that’s so amazing! i can’t believe you accomplished all this in such a short time! you’re my hero today! 🙌

August 25, 2017 at 4:26 PM

When I think of you I think 18 year old girl…..

boundtowriting said:
    August 25, 2017 at 5:35 PM

Great job!! Can’t wait to get updates on your editing journey!!

August 25, 2017 at 9:05 PM

It is 9 weeks already?? And you’re almost finished with writing the first draft- amazing!

anne leueen said:
    August 25, 2017 at 9:45 PM

Good work!

August 25, 2017 at 10:14 PM

My you are very good at making and meeting goals. I am extremely good at making goals and look upon them as “deadlines.” I seldom miss a deadline.

mainepaperpusher said:
    August 26, 2017 at 2:45 AM

Look at you writing like the wind! That is if the wind wrote. I suppose skywriting would count. Look at you writing like the skywriting! Yeah, I know, not quite the same punch. Ah well, I’ll endeavor to do better next time. 😉

August 26, 2017 at 7:35 AM

it was perfect! I’m gonna remember these words whenever I see skywriting from now on and think… is that Linda writing?

mainepaperpusher said:
        August 27, 2017 at 12:24 AM

You betcha! I write like the exhaust from an airplane all of the time, so it’s a good chance it will be me!

August 27, 2017 at 7:44 AM

Hmmm…. somewhere there is a witty response in me, but it’s too early and I’m exhausted.

mainepaperpusher said:
        August 28, 2017 at 2:18 AM

I get him all set up to give me a great comeback and what does he do? He pleads exhaustion. Tsk tsk tsk 😉 You do know that you are way too easy to tease!?

August 28, 2017 at 8:04 AM

I think maybe I set myself up for it. Or perhaps I like the ‘torture.’

mainepaperpusher said:
        August 28, 2017 at 4:26 PM

Yeah, I’m going with the last possibility. 😉

Aislynn d'Merricksson said:
    August 26, 2017 at 5:09 AM

Reblogged this on The Biblioanthropologist.

August 26, 2017 at 7:38 AM

Hi. Thank you so much. Please sure to e-meet you. I will jump over to check your site out shortly.

Aislynn d'Merricksson said:
    August 26, 2017 at 5:10 AM

Congrats!!

swordsandspectres said:
    August 26, 2017 at 5:18 AM

Congratulations, mate. As an author, myself, I know how easy it is to start but how difficult it is to see something through to end. Nothing like seeing the finished product!

August 26, 2017 at 6:36 AM

I’m just amazed at how fast everything is going. You really took control. Congrats. ❤

Stephanie said:
    August 26, 2017 at 10:14 AM

Congrats!! You really did an amazing job meeting, no, exceeding your goal! Great job!! 😊

August 26, 2017 at 1:16 PM

I can’t believe it’s only been 9 weeks and you are already almost finished with the first draft that it truest amazing!! I am getting really excited for this book I can’t wait until we are able to read it!

August 26, 2017 at 1:38 PM

I know. I’m really uncertain how it went so fast. I think my outlines are so fully detailed, it makes the writing phase go so much more easily. Now that said, once I re-read, editing may not be as easy! 🙂 Thanks for always being so friendly and interactive. It means so much to have friends who care.

Mel Gutiér said:
    August 26, 2017 at 5:04 PM

Wow! You’re busy. You are also very well organized. Something I am not. My novel is 725 pages with only 14 chapters. I’m going over the 12th and final draft.

They struggle is real.

Love the blog by the way.

Good stuff to keep me going!

Your novel sounds like a great read. Can’t wait. 😉

August 26, 2017 at 6:55 PM

725? That’s fantastic. Go you!

And thanks for the feedback.

Mel Gutiér said:
        August 26, 2017 at 7:24 PM

725 pages, two years, full time job, three kids and my hubby. But I’m serious about my writing now. I was just dreaming before. Now I’m actually working really hard.

I’m also reading more. I make time where I have none. I’m finding myself in all the beautiful chaos of the narrative world.

Thanks for sharing and for taking time. Look forward to more exchanges with you.

August 26, 2017 at 9:09 PM

Yes definitely with you too. Reading helps a lot. You figure out your own style, what you like and dislike.

meltingpotsandothercalamities said:
    August 30, 2017 at 1:07 AM

I’m sorry for being so late for this! 😥This is a HUGE accomplishment, congratulations! Your book sounds awesome too, seriously interesting. The lessons you learned over these past weeks are also really good and inspiring to read. I’d love to read the book someday!

August 30, 2017 at 7:24 AM

Thank you so much. I appreciate it. No worries we all get super busy. I totally understand. Will keep you posted on everything!