365 Challenge: Day 167 – Destiny

Destiny: the events that will necessarily happen to a particular person or thing in the future; the hidden power believed to control what will happen in the future; fate

estiny

Destiny and fate. Two words that often come up in conversation with friends when you are thinking about the future. Maybe you’re drunk and pondering the purpose of life. Perhaps a child has just asked you about it and you wonder how to respond. Or you wake up screaming from a nightmare wondering what will happen in your future. Curiosity whether someone greater than us is controlling all the movements or it’s fully a free will situation. Today’s 365 Daily Challenge word is not about religious beliefs, nor whether or not evolution has an impact. It’s about whether or not you believe in the concept of destiny. I felt like it was something to share with all my online friends… curious what everyone believes for a couple of reasons I’ll mention a bit later.

Destiny is often mistaken for an extreme wish that something will happen. I want to be a writer, I was destined to be a writer. I’m not sure if that’s true. I know that’s what I’ve wanted to do for as long and as far back as I remember. But whether that’s what was meant to be is definitely not a concept I truly understand.

What about two people whose paths cross several times without realizing it before they are finally introduced and fall in love. Were they meant to be together or did it just happen that way because they live in close proximity?

We all make choices in our lives, constantly changing the path and the direction we follow. Is destiny navigating behind the scenes or are we just making decisions as they are presented to us with whatever knowledge we’ve amassed up until that moment?

I would totally say something wrong like this!

Quite a philosophical post today. Not a long one either. Just something to get us thinking over the weekend… why do we do the things we do? how much control do we have over what happens around us? do we believe in fate or destiny? Or even more introspectively… do we want to believe in destiny?

I would like to think that I have some control over my path and my decisions. And I think I do. I am fine living in NYC but if W said tomorrow let’s move to California, I’d be fine with that, too. And if I decided to give North Carolina a chance after that, I’d be fine. If I am good living in all those places, where does destiny fit in? Is it controlled by your surroundings, e.g. the place you live? If so, does that then limit the people you interact with who can be part of your life? Or the jobs you can hold? Or the activities you engage in?

So many questions involved to try and understand whether destiny controls us in the background. It really makes you realize that with so many potential combinations of how things come together, it’s actually infinite. And if something is infinite, can there really be any control over the outcome? So… before any of us get caught up in trying to solve this little dilemma, maybe I should keep myself on a bit of a straighter path with the point of this post.

While I often encounter this conundrum in my own life and brain, it was on mind this week not because of me… but because of a character in my book. She’s been through a lot. And as I decide the ending to the character’s story and the novel, I find myself asking on her behalf if the following statement is true:

Destiny. Do you believe in it? I’ve love to hear everyone’s opinions. Thanks in advance for sharing.

61 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 167 – Destiny

August 26, 2017 at 7:37 AM

The more I talk to you and Joanna the more I think we were destined to meet…..i was thinking about destiny yesterday as I pre wrote today’s post. I’m presently in Jersey taking my kid to a standardized test….but anyway….the older I get, the more I believe in fate and destiny and signs, which is weird because I’ve also gotten more logical. So, yes I think there is something about destiny

August 26, 2017 at 7:45 AM

For a minute, I thought I read New Jersey, and wondered why you were down here! Swing by for coffee on your way back thru NYC. Then I realized Jersey is probably a city up by you. Ah, fate and destiny. I hope Joanna is doing well, she’s been too quiet! But I understand it. Good luck on that test. And ah, destiny… your kid will ace it.

August 26, 2017 at 6:13 PM

Joanna was vacationing and she posted that she is in path of storm. Hoping we hear soon!

August 26, 2017 at 6:54 PM

Something is definitely wrong with my feed. I swear this said the message earlier was from MainePaperPusher, which is why I mentioned Jersey. The latest WP update has wrecked havoc on my iPhone. I responded about Jersey thinking it was Linda in Maine, wondering why she was in Jersey. Now, I see it’s you, which makes more sense. Oh, I think I need to go to sleep and not wake up until this WP issue is resolved.

August 26, 2017 at 6:57 PM

I know! The other day I listed my blog, but it showed up as the time I originally started notes on it, so it didn’t show up in most people’s readers! Someone wrote yesterday that they lost all their work on one of their blogs! I’m finding the problem is more the app than the website! But I’ve lost people I follow, I can’t alwYs see someone’s posts, reader is all screwed up, etc…..

August 26, 2017 at 6:59 PM

Sorry I got confused on that one. All better now. So, how that it makes sense why you were focusing testing… how did it go?

August 26, 2017 at 7:01 PM

Well, the testing site in jersey was ridiculous….they started over an hour late. But she thought test was ok….sat subject test in world history. She said there were two questions that she had no clue about, but otherwise it was ok

August 26, 2017 at 7:03 PM

sounds promising… there’s always some weird questions to throw it all about.
        they should have sent someone to your home so she could take it while sitting on the couch relaxing.

August 26, 2017 at 7:04 PM

You’re right! How did I not think of that!

August 26, 2017 at 6:54 PM

I saw one post from her, hope she is going ok. 🙂

August 26, 2017 at 6:57 PM

Me too!

August 26, 2017 at 7:53 AM

Thought-provoking post today! Roda’s post on Fate also made me think about Destiny/Fate and I told her that I believe things happen for a reason, things are not just there to be wasted on us. I don’t know if it’s because of my upbringing, (and you might guess), I have lived with a lot of restrictions and confinements especially I decided to come back to my hometown and landed my current job. Because of the geological proximity between my office and my family’s house and the fact that one of the company execs is our temple’s followers, my resignation notice was not pleasantly accepted and my family was dead set against it. Even though I was totally entitled to quit the job after two weeks, my big brother insisted that I should reconsider – he even told me that it can be our family’s disgrace. After a while, my co-worker confided in me with her prospective diagnosis of ovarian cancer (she got cleared later, though) and I decided to stay and stick to my job even though there are times I’m not happy with the decision that I made. I believe, and my friends kept telling me that it’s our own life and we can take control over it, but I learned there are things we just can’t control and I think my job situation falls into that.
    I wasn’t happy at first, certainly not – but in retrospect, I think it might have been fate presented itself – telling me I could be happier where I am now rather than leave my job and moved to a big city and get my confidence trampled.

August 26, 2017 at 8:03 AM

Thank you. And what a wonderful share you’ve presented. I can’t imagine the pressures you felt with the position and your decision. Sometimes things do control us from the outside. I agree with you. I hope that you find peace in the decision and are able to have happiness and comfort every day even though it wasn’t what you originally wanted. Family can push themselves more than they should, huh?

August 26, 2017 at 8:07 AM

Yes, indeed! They pushed me way harder than they should have lol But family is important to me and I wasn’t brave enough to cut ties or put it jeopardized.

August 26, 2017 at 8:11 AM

Very thorough and smart analysis.

August 26, 2017 at 8:12 AM

😛

August 26, 2017 at 8:21 AM

I think my post for today answers your question…💚

Peter Adewumi said:
    August 26, 2017 at 8:24 AM

Destiny is real, but one thing I believe is that prayer changes destiny.

August 26, 2017 at 8:29 AM

Great comment. I know a lot of people who pray and feel they are answered or feel it changes the path. Thanks for sharing.

Peter Adewumi said:
        August 26, 2017 at 8:34 AM

Thanks for agreeing with me because many people don’t believe in prayers. Though we should not forget the other side – hardwork.

August 26, 2017 at 8:43 AM

I grew up Catholic and have been surrounded by people who strongly believe in religion. It’s a rough topic for me, trying to decide what I really believe, but I always respect other people’s thoughts and I know many who believe in prayer as a guide for their life.

Peter Adewumi said:
        August 26, 2017 at 8:45 AM

That is a very good foundation.

theloyalbritwit said:
    August 26, 2017 at 8:46 AM

I love this introspective post! Destiny is such a fun thing to contemplate. I am more of the logical mind type than sentiment…but, I still do believe in things like fate/destiny and gut feelings. Doesn’t make much sense, but that’s part of the fun, don’t you think? Your post reminded me of a couple philosophy classes I took in college. I had a professor that liked to say, “If you believe in free will, then why do you sit in the same spot every single day when we do not have assigned seats?” I felt it had some merit to your post, though maybe not really lol. 🙂 I agree with the concept that we have a certain hand in fate. It’s a little odd to think about not having control of my life. (But maybe that’s the control freak in my life. 😇)
    Thank you for the post and I hope you have a fantastic weekend!!

August 26, 2017 at 9:13 AM

You are welcome. And thank you for sharing. Sounds like you can often get lost in thinking about these things, too As for free will and sitting in the same spot, I’d say… perhaps you like a few things to be different but not everything. So even though it’s the same spot, the temperature, smell, lighting and emotions in the room are different…. therefore it’s not exactly the same spot!

theloyalbritwit said:
        August 26, 2017 at 9:20 AM

Ah, fair point indeed! Yes, I do have the tendency to get lost these things, too.

vinnieh said:
    August 26, 2017 at 9:49 AM

Great work. I personally think it is us who determine what happens in life. Sure there are things we can’t control, but a lot of it is down to us as individuals.

caterpillars2butterfliesblog said:
    August 26, 2017 at 9:51 AM

Well this is certainly one to get the mind pumping this morning. I often like to think that I believe in destiny… That there is some divine plan that has been laid out by the very one who created us. But, on the other hand…how can destiny endure the endless possibilities of all our choices and still be called destiny? Is destiny also tied to divine intervention? If we make a wrong choice on our path, will there be something that moves us to rethink that choice? Speaking from my own journey, I am beginning to believe that there is some shape of destiny at play. It keeps awakening my soul to the deep gut feeling of what I am here to do… I do hope that fate or destiny exist….otherwise, what is it all for? All the pains, all the joys, all the learning and growing that develops us….

August 26, 2017 at 10:10 AM

It was one to push, thanks! It’s something to get lost in… sounds like we feel the same way about it… and our purpose!

August 26, 2017 at 10:58 AM

that’s a deep question jay! 😅
    i really like to think there is something like destiny! like live throws you certain things but it’s totally up to you what you do with it! and never regret any choices. just do what you think is best for you! but yes, i believe that some things are destined to be!

August 26, 2017 at 12:26 PM

Now I’ve got Paul Anka singing “You Are My Destiny” in my head. I do believe in destiny and that things happen for a reason. The free will part comes in when we make our choices about what to do when the situations are presented to us. I do think, though, that if we make the “wrong” decision or one that is not in line with our true destiny, somewhere down the line another choice will be presented that will bring us back on the path. Case in point – I was dating “A” when he introduced me to his brother at Christmas. Broke up with “A” and had no contact with him or his brother for 6 or 8 months. Then “A” came back into my life. He really was a jerk so I broke up with him for good and when his brother came by to pick up some of “A’s” things, we spent the day together and have been together since (35 years and 3 kids). However, my husband says that he “knew” I was the one the minute he met me that first day. He says he felt a spark when he shook my hand and looked into my eyes. I had no clue. He says he waited until his brother made a mistake (because he knew he would) and that’s when he stepped in to date me. I resisted at first because I had just had a bad experience with “A” and they were brothers, right? But I guess it was destiny that we be together. Sorry, long comment but you started it 🙂 Have a great weekend!

August 26, 2017 at 12:48 PM

Wow! That’s a great story. It must have been a little odd for you at first, but look at where it’s ended up. Great example and share. Thank you so much!

Judy said:
    August 26, 2017 at 3:18 PM

Yes and no. “Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.” ~ JRR Tolkien 🙂

theGracetyle said:
    August 26, 2017 at 4:35 PM

I somewhat believe in destiny! Yes, we make decisions for ourselves with regards to what we do and where we live but I think the desires in our hearts that influence the decisions we make are in part, caused because things were destined to happen. For instance, my dad was able to meet my mom because he had a sudden desire in his heart to move to another city even though he was doing completely fine and in fact, loved his hometown. It was ultimately his own decision to move but why was there that sudden urge in him to move out to a different city? Idk.. but I think it was to meet my mom 😛.

August 26, 2017 at 4:36 PM

It totally could be. Things sometimes happen for the oddest of reasons. Great story and share. Thank you.

August 26, 2017 at 4:47 PM

I love this post and I imagine you will have a host of answers for this one. Personally I’m a no. I like the idea of destiny, but I’m a control freak and I like to know I have a say in everything I am doing, I don’t even like surprises, so how does destiny figure? I make my decisions, I make my mistakes and determine my future, even when I don’t have a clue what that looks like! 😆

August 26, 2017 at 6:57 PM

Surprises are not fun! I know what you mean. We shall see what is in store for us! LOL Glad to have your opinion… a few so far, but it’s only been out for 12 hours, so I can’t wait to see what everyone has to say!

August 26, 2017 at 7:05 PM

Be interesting to see what the general consensus is! I think most people believe in it and are far less pessimistic than I am. 😆

August 26, 2017 at 9:08 PM

Aww…

Mel Gutiér said:
    August 26, 2017 at 4:54 PM

It’s funny… I look at it this way: Destiny happens when you live your life.

The rain falls
    The wind blow
    The sky darkens at night
    The sun comes out in the morning
    The earth is moving
    Destiny is happening.
    😉

roseelaineblog said:
    August 27, 2017 at 3:50 AM

Finally my site seems to be working, it’s killed me not being able to write comments 😬

My beliefs are that we are all here to bring something to the world and we have predestined paths, however free will can change our direction at any time. The more we fight for what we want does not make it come any faster! Everything is about timing.

Life is a series of lessons 👍

Sometimes we have to slow down to smell the roses by the wayside …. is there an echo here 🤔 and believe

August 27, 2017 at 7:43 AM

I’m so glad you got it fixed. WP was unhappy for a bit. I like how your view is we start with a baseline but it can change.

roseelaineblog said:
        August 27, 2017 at 7:45 AM

That’s the secret 😉 Not to force things, just go with the flow. 🌹

carhicks said:
    August 27, 2017 at 12:19 PM

I believe certain things are destined such as when our time to die comes. I firmly believe that our day to day decisions determine what path our life will take though, not destiny.

janieleeds said:
    August 29, 2017 at 9:50 AM

I believe in destiny, in coincidence and in synchronicity. In hindsight I have seen relationships ebb and flow and realize that there’s a reason for people to come and go in our lives. They are here to teach us and move along. So yes, in answer to your questions. I believe in destiny.

shalini said:
    September 10, 2017 at 8:12 AM

Being an Indian, we all believe in destiny and fate but I also believe that the destiny is fluid and not marked in stone… But then again I change my views about this depending on the circumstances