365 Challenge: Day 168 – Technology Jobs

Technology Jobs: jobs I held in the technology field across multiple companies over the last 15 years

tech.jpg

Sunday posts, the end of each week, have become a theme on This-Is-My-Truth-Now, organized by groups of five (5) focused on interesting things about my life. I’m continuing the trend of the seventh day, ending the week on Sunday, as a list (we know I love them) that provides more in depth knowledge about me.

• Weeks 1 – 5: Primary ethnicity groups and nationalities
  • Weeks 6 – 10: A to Z Favorites
  • Weeks 11 – 15: Colors with an important meaning
  • Weeks 16 – 20: Cities I’ve lived

The current set of 5 Sundays covers the major groups of roles / jobs / positions I’ve held over my career. Though I have had about fifteen titles over the years, when I broke it down into smaller groups, week four is all about the jobs I held in the largest portion of my career — technology management. I worked in the three primary industries and companies during this period: (1) telecommunications, (2) retail consumer products, (3) entertainment, media and sports industry.

• Senior Vice President
  • Vice-President
  • Director
  • Project Manager
  • Senior Business Analyst

info.jpg

In last week’s segment, we ended me with working as a process analyst, designing and documenting all the policies, procedures and processes that were used to run the technology department in the company where I worked. Once that project was completed, they broke apart my group and assigned us to different parts of the organization based on skill-set. I’d apparently picked up on the requirements gathering, testing and training components of software development, which meant I would become a Business Analyst (BA). In this role, you meet with all the prospective users of new software to document their needs and requirements. You then work with the programmers and developers who code them. Once the software is built, as a BA you participate in testing the new features and then training the end users in how to make it work for them. I held this role for about two years, promoted to a Senior BA, focusing on the software our company built for email, cable on demand and internet-based phones in the telecommunications industry. I enjoyed it most when I delivered a product that made my customers happy. I also loved building and writing the testing and training plans.

My mentor pulled me aside one day, noting that I have incredibly strong management and organizational skills. She wanted me to become a project manager, which would oversee all these initiatives to build the new software rather than be the person on the team actually building them. I thought it would be a good career option, so I took courses, got certified and became a project manager. Around this time is when I took a one year hiatus and moved to California, where I worked for Sephora US in their corporate division. I blogged a bit about this in the San Francisco post, so I won’t repeat it here. I enjoyed working there and wish I was back in the wonderful world of consumer products and retail.

After returning to NYC, I implemented at least 30 new systems over the following few years until the financial crisis in 2005 when the Sarbanes-Oxley financial control regulations were implemented on all public companies. I was asked to lead this initiative for one of the parent companies subsidiaries, which meant I had to commute into NYC every day to meet with the various business areas. I took this initiative on for about 6 months and when it was completed, the CIO asked me to join her as a Director in her organization. Soon after, I found myself living in Long Island, taking the train 90 minutes each way into Manhattan to work as a middle management level leader in the technology department.  This is when my career took off and I developed a very special bond with my mentor. She’s now someone I consider family and we talk all the time.

Over the next 8 years, I climbed the corporate ladder and ran nearly every part of the whole department during my tenure. I also worked heavily with our legal, procurement, human resources, communications, operations, finance and audit departments, building my full range of corporate skills. By the time I left in the summer of 2016, I’d amassed an enormous amount of knowledge about how companies work. All of these skills are things I apply every day in my personal life, but also that my personal life taught me how to best do in the business world. When you’re organized, and you take a very holistic approach to things you do, these are known as transferable skill sets. Even now, as I focus on building out a plan for launching my first book and then the second one, it’s all these skills I’ve learned, which will contribute to making me successful in the future.

While I was very good at all of these technology jobs, it was not my primary passion. Choosing to leave this life was not an easy decision, but it was the best step in my career last year. I may go back in the future if I decide writing doesn’t work out for me, but I will be very cautious about the type of environment and industry I choose. I want to have a passion every day when I “go to work,” not a feeling of being disconnected from the things that make me happy. And this will lead us into the fifth and final portion of my list of careers, next week, when we conclude with “writer.”

Or is it comedian???

If you really want to know more about this side of my life, I have another professional WordPress (WP) website called “The Art of the Balanced Perfectionist,” where you can see my resume, projects and philosophy @ https://jamescudney4.com.  Anyone else work in a company for over 15 years? In technology? Have thoughts on these worlds? Share away…

35 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 168 – Technology Jobs

August 27, 2017 at 8:49 AM

Great post! I think you outlined once again why you are a success!

August 27, 2017 at 8:49 AM

But can you fix wordpress?

August 27, 2017 at 8:56 AM

Omg, this post literally gave me vertigo… you achieved so much!! I admire you from the bottom of my heart. It must have been a tough decision to leave the corporate world, but at the same time, I am glad that your dream to be a writer is about to realize!

August 27, 2017 at 8:58 AM

I appreciate it. I had a great career. It was exciting, but I also worked way too much. I think I will be happier with this next one! 🙂

August 27, 2017 at 9:08 AM

Yes, I hope so, too! There’s nothing like doing what makes happy! ☺

August 27, 2017 at 9:26 AM

You are an incredibly accomplished person. To have achieved such career heights so young is absolutely amazing. I knew a lot of this anyway but to see all of it and see how much you achieved really does astound me. It’s also great you learned from your career, found what you didn’t like and have tried to take that away with you, so many people don’t do that and keep running into the same issues over and over. I think you are the kind of person who can do pretty much anything you set your mind to.

August 27, 2017 at 4:35 PM

That might be one of my favorite compliments ever. Thank you so much. 🙂

Kiersten said:
    August 27, 2017 at 9:27 AM

It’s great that you’re doing something that makes you happy. Life is too damned short to be miserable 5 days a week.

I used to really enjoy running my own business and being my own boss. I believe I would really enjoy writing full-time also. Unfortunately, I’ve gotten stuck in a position now where I don’t really have the means to just leave my job or make a huge switch like that. I hope it’s an option again someday.

Happy Sunday 🙂

August 27, 2017 at 4:35 PM

If you want it to be, you might have to start working towards it little by little. I think you can find a way to make it happen! Thank you for the great comment.

August 27, 2017 at 9:59 AM

I’ve never worked a job more than 4 years. Most last 2 if they’re lucky, lol. Before either was because I wanted to work on a specific field but then it became less and less feasible to achieve my dreams so I switched it up. And then other times I just get bored, lol. I still have a lot of years though so we’ll see where it takes me. My skills set is pretty broad though. I can’t say I haven’t learned a lot and definitely still learning now. You’ll be successful as a writer. I can feel it but then you already know that 😊

August 27, 2017 at 4:36 PM

You are such an amazing friends, thank you for the confidence. 🙂 As for your career, you have tons of years left to make a big splash, which I also know you will do.

authorsinspirations said:
    August 27, 2017 at 10:04 AM

wow. I pictured you as a skinny geek who works from home, closed inside a box sized bedroom, writing a book while simultaneously doing your work on a second pc.

August 27, 2017 at 4:38 PM

Ha! Maybe some day I need to post a picture. I do have one, and it’s pretty recent, but not clear or in focus. Hmm…. I wouldn’t say skinny, since I spend a bunch of time at the gym, but I’m also not mega man. Haha… second PC. Only 1 laptop. I am definitely not the stereotypical anything. I don’t really fit any mold come to think of it… hmm… now I’m thinking about this!

authorsinspirations said:
        August 27, 2017 at 5:25 PM

Well, since I’m blind and use an assistive software that doesn’t describe images, i’ll skip the photo. Sorry, that geek image is stuck, no matter how much you try to tell me otherwise. It’s something I was just talking to a friend about the other day. I build an image of someone, and even though late on i realize it was the wrong one, that image sticks. and only if i make an effort to change it from my mind – and that takes a while does that image change…. Sorrybut now you’re a skinny dude to me.

August 27, 2017 at 5:31 PM

Well, I suppose I can’t argue with your logic. And you have total freedom to paint whatever picture you want of me in your mind! If it’s good, then it’s right. If it’s bad, then it’s wrong. Just kidding. It must be pretty great to see the advance in technology to help with some of this, but it needs to move further along to make things easier for you too. A lot of voice activation, I suppose, to make the blogging work for you. Very cool. I need to spend more time on your page reading up on you.

authorsinspirations said:
        August 27, 2017 at 5:52 PM

I don’t use voice activation, no. I wasn’t always blind, so alot of what i do uses hot key combination or just the stroke of the keyboard. I find it easier, for my brother’s constant irritation. Siri and i aren’t really friends – i maybe even spelled her name wrong.. Facebook gives some general description on images, i.e, a child, a tree, two people standing etc… Maybe one day, who knows. Technology is advancing in an amazing speed. you should know.

August 27, 2017 at 5:55 PM

Yes, I should. I just read that it happened in your early 20s. And I love that you enjoy Charlaine Harris books. I think I spelled her name wrong there. Oh well. I need to read more of them.

authorsinspirations said:
        August 27, 2017 at 6:00 PM

I like most fantasy books. It just takes me far away. On wings, in space, other dimensions. I know you’re writing a book as well … father figure? I’m not sure.

August 27, 2017 at 6:01 PM

Yes. I finished ‘Watching a Glass Shatter’ and it’s currently with the publisher’s editing team to review and revise… I should finish my first draft of ‘Father Figure’ tomorrow, then I will begin my own edit process.

How about you? An author now or to be in the future?

authorsinspirations said:
        August 27, 2017 at 6:09 PM

my first book, heir of ashes, is currently undergoing a developmental and copy editing. It should be done in a few days or so, but i’ll be going indie when the time comes.

August 27, 2017 at 6:18 PM

congrats!

authorsinspirations said:
        August 27, 2017 at 6:21 PM

Thanks, and back at you.

Patrick Dykie said:
    August 27, 2017 at 11:46 AM

You have a pretty impressive resume of skill sets. As a technologically inept person, I would love to have some of your background. I wish you all the best in your writing career. It must be nice, though, that you have many opportunities to go back to if needed.

August 27, 2017 at 4:41 PM

Thank you. Yes, I feel confident I will always find a job as I tend to do well whenever I push myself. Doesn’t mean I enjoy it, but I am lucky and grateful for these skills!

August 27, 2017 at 1:08 PM

Wow. Such accomplishments. I don’t know if I could handle a 90 minute commute to and from work. The farthest I’ve ever had to go is 15 minutes and that was with traffic. Much better to work doing what you love if you can. Congrats on your accomplishments.

August 27, 2017 at 4:43 PM

I appreciate it, thanks. I read a lot. And then I worked on my mobile device, catching up on reading my employee’s work. I had 100 people working for me, so it was quite a bit at the time!

August 28, 2017 at 10:38 AM

You are too much a “people person” to get stuck in technology.

deborahsinclair63 said:
    August 30, 2017 at 1:32 PM

A very interesting and informative read, I like your work. Thanks again for tge follow

TechFlax said:
    September 3, 2017 at 12:40 PM

Great yr. you are an incredible.