365 Challenge: Day 177 – Automaton

Automaton: a machine that performs a function according to a predetermined set of coded instructions, especially one capable of a range of programmed responses to different circumstances

automaton

Today’s 365 Daily Challenge post needs to credit Yesha @ Books Teacup & Reviews for providing me with a beautiful word to incorporate into my blog. Yesha has been a great online friend I’ve known for months, enjoying all her book content and kind words. Please take a look at her site if you haven’t before. I believe you will find some treasures. So, the word automaton comes from when she made a comment on a previous post about how much I had been accomplishing lately, especially as when telling everyone around that time that I was heading out of town for four days to visit family. I spent very little time reading anyone else’s blog or posts, and I hardly replied to any comments on my own posts, which made me feel bad!

As I thought about what she noted, I realized that several other of my online friends have made a few remarks about me having clones to get all this work done, that I seem to be online 24/7 answering messages and I am always posting about something new and different (how does he do it!?). It made me feel kinda special, realizing how many people have a similar positive response to my writing, my style and to me.

I definitely admit, I tend to be very robotic and machine-like when it comes to getting tasks done. I have a very strong work ethic, an intense commitment to accomplishing goals and a plentiful list of things I want to do. And so, it pains me to say this, but I learned a little bit of a lesson these last few days on how much I am capable of taking on all at once. I’m not sure I’ll be able to catch up on social media and blogging from the last few days, but also, with a 2-week vacation coming up in mid-September, there is no chance of me staying on top of it all, pre-writing fifteen 365 Daily Challenge posts. I suspect I will end up taking a photo of wherever I am in North Carolina and Orlando, posting about the word I see when I look at the picture. Over the course of the 2 weeks, I have a wedding, Disney World, Biltmore, tons of hotels, lakes, towns, activities and plans, so there will so much to blog about!

Each one will be brief and just enough to let everyone know where I am, what I am doing and that I miss chatting with everyone. But I won’t have time to read all of your posts and comment, so I apologize greatly in advance for my low quality and quantity in September, but I promise to rectify it in October when I have tons of news about the launch of Watching Glass Shatter, Father Figure and the 2nd half of the 365 Daily Challenge. I also promise to spend some time in October catching up on missed posts after I return. Last week, I mentioned choosing a day each month where it’s all about other people’s posts and content. I think I’ve settled on either this Friday or next Monday, which is in between my two trips. Gives me enough time to plan and take a breather. I’m excited about it, as I’ll get two posts done the day before, so I am free to focus on everything else. An entire day devoted to everyone I chat with on WP and social media!

As for the word automaton, my only secret of getting a lot accomplished is in how I focus my mind. I’m a realistic planner. I break down my days into reasonable three-hour chunks of time where I have specific goals. I force myself to stay uninterrupted during each session, but I also allow for a few minutes in between to address those things that just sneak into your schedule. The unavoidable time-eaters which you often can’t say ‘no’ to, unless you risk having a bigger problem afterwards. It’s mostly a mind-game you have to play with yourself to keep a focus on priorities. Knowing what needs to happen in what order is important. Confirming to yourself the things which could throw you off helps ensure you push them out of the way when they arrive.

There’s also a good part of success that is due to sheer energy and will power. If you want to get something done, you have to just do it. There are moments in life where you can choose to waste an hour being frustrated about what it is you have to get done, or you can just do that task so it’s one more off the list. That’s my biggest secret. I don’t allow myself to get caught up in worrying too much about everything I have to do. If I find myself with the “woe is me” feeling, I snap out of it immediately. I get up, shake it off and re-focus. Like today, for instance… We left Louisiana on a 6am flight this morning, which meant not enough sleep, an all too quick goodbye to family, and then tons of wasted time in several airports. I couldn’t read. I had no WiFi connection. I was lazy and didn’t pre-think of a word for today. Finally, we arrived back in the apartment around 4pm. We unpacked, decided on a dinner plan for later and then said, “ok, let’s get to it.” W had to check on some work things. I knew my priority was this post.

I wanted to read comments from a friend on Father Figure. I wanted to read another friend’s chapters. I wanted to play longer with Ryder. We did for a few minutes. He’ll get my attention later tonight. I desperately wanted to go to the gym. But I said no to all if it. Sat my ass on the couch. I am typing up this blog. And then we are going to an early dinner since W made me get up at the ass-crack of dawn (that’s the only way to refer to it) for the first flight home. Every other time, we take the afternoon flight, but it always gets delayed, meaning we don’t get back to our apartment until midnight. So he thought ahead and very considerately painfully scheduled a 6am flight home. After dinner, I will make my list for tomorrow and immediately focus on all my priorities so that I can be a good little automaton and meet all my goals before the 9/17 vacation to North Carolina begins.

How do you keep yourselves in line? When do you say ‘enough is enough’ and let yourself just go with it? Do you really think I’m an automaton or is this just a funny joke? ‘Cause everyone has said this to me my whole life. I know I get a lot done, but seriously, this particular guy knows how to sit on a couch and do nothing sometimes. That is not a machine but in reality, emptying my mind of everything for a few hours at a time, every once in a while, is what helps make it capable of doing so much in so little time during the rest of my days. Maybe the clones are doing the work then… maybe I just solved my own puzzle. I like answering my own questions. I am doing that right now, aren’t I? OK, post is over. Thanks for everyone’s patience this month! I’ll be back on track soon enough. 🙂

42 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 177 – Automaton

Cozynookbks said:
    September 5, 2017 at 6:33 PM

I have to admit I did wonder how you do it all. I hope I can someday make blogging and writing a higher-up priority.

I hope you enjoy your travels. Biltmore house is incredible!!

September 5, 2017 at 7:39 PM

I can’t wait to see it. It’s such a beautiful place from all I’ve seen online! Thanks.

theloyalbritwit said:
    September 5, 2017 at 6:33 PM

An excellent word today, Jay! And I must say, it does seem like you’re always on top of things as well as stretching yourself thin. I more than understand your life is taking top priority. You won’t hear any complaints from me for either lack of posts or just short, photo worthy ones. You have my support all the way. I always enjoy reading your daily challenges! Cheers! 😃

September 5, 2017 at 7:40 PM

Thank you. I would at the exact same thing to you. Except your words are always so much stronger and more prepared!

theloyalbritwit said:
        September 5, 2017 at 8:37 PM

You’re welcome and thank you! You would actually be surprised with my words: I have a long list, but I pick them at random every day. Some days I know what word I would like to use, but I write the stories the same day. It’s a little chaotic. But it’s a fun exercise. I would think yours is something similar, at least. See I would argue yours are more prepared! Maybe we’ll just call it a draw and say we’re even?

September 5, 2017 at 8:42 PM

ok, even works…. lately, I’ve been a little lackluster with so many other things going on. I just feel a strength within yours all the time! But we can say even.

theloyalbritwit said:
        September 5, 2017 at 8:43 PM

I feel the same thing, surprisingly enough! I’ve got friends and fellow blogger friends saying the same thing. Even works. 😁

September 5, 2017 at 8:45 PM

🙂

September 5, 2017 at 6:45 PM

Seriously, you have an amazing work ethic. I envy your ability to just cut through the bull and get on with what needs to be done every day. It’s so easy to get waylaid, but you are better than most at sticking to task. But you are warm and caring and not an automaton, though I admit that is a great word!

September 5, 2017 at 7:39 PM

You are so sweet. I am back. We must pick a day for coffee next week!

September 5, 2017 at 7:46 PM

Can’t do Monday or Thursday but I’m good the other days. Look at your schedule and we’ll figure it out

Mel Gutiér said:
    September 5, 2017 at 7:49 PM

Well love… nobody’s perfect.

Still amazing in every way!

Love you. I think I do!

September 5, 2017 at 7:50 PM

Aww… that means you are an automaton too!!!!

Mel Gutiér said:
        September 5, 2017 at 8:06 PM

Oh… Completely agree about the “wow is me” attitude. A few months ago it used to be me.

I’m over that. I’m restructuring my novel according to standards that make sense and I’m just taking it one day, hour, minute, second at a time. If I meet my deadline great, if I don’t… I’m just going to keep going until I’ve accomplished what I’ve set out to do.

Love that you took a vacation and going for more. Glad W forces you sometimes. Love is a great force!

September 5, 2017 at 8:18 PM

Yes, we all need that push sometimes. I think you will make the right decision with your novel, and when you get thru it, you do. No pressure!

Mel Gutiér said:
        September 5, 2017 at 8:22 PM

I’m cooking dinner as y type. Dinner for six. Catching up on reader stuff, looking over your post… again. Writing notes on chapter 3 content cuts (it’s 60 pages long 😦 . ) I know! Maybe I am an automaton. 😉

September 5, 2017 at 8:25 PM

you are, if you are cooking at the same time, that’s incredible!

Mel Gutiér said:
        September 5, 2017 at 8:28 PM

I guess I am because I am. My kitchen counter has a copy of my Manuscript, my laptop some great resources via library books and your blog open on the computer and phone. Food is simmering and I’m about to serve in 15 minutes.

I got off of work at 6pm CST. Can’t wait to make writing my full-time job.

September 5, 2017 at 8:30 PM

I can’t wait for that to happen for you too. Have an amazing dinner.

Mel Gutiér said:
    September 5, 2017 at 7:50 PM

Even if you are an automaton. Love you anyway!

Mel Gutiér said:
    September 5, 2017 at 7:53 PM

No sweets… I am far from that. I’m enjoying the roses and I am very appreciative that you exist as an example of what can be accomplished if you’re focused.

Love you for that! Appreciate you! 😉

anne leueen said:
    September 5, 2017 at 8:56 PM

I am just about to go on a holiday to England with my husband. Our son lives in London and since I used to live there I have friends and relatives to see. A change is as good as a rest they say but I hope I can be disciplined enough to turn off my automaton and just slow down a bit. Thanks for this post it arrived at the right time. .

September 5, 2017 at 9:08 PM

Glad you made it back in one piece and even if you didn’t get to keep up with everyone else’s blog, you got to enjoy yourself and your time with W and family and really that’s the most important part. Look forward to more book updates and to see pictures of your next vacay!

Run Wright said:
    September 6, 2017 at 1:26 AM

I love the meme about them running home to read my blog. I wish and work for the days when that will be true.

Books Teacup and Reviews said:
    September 6, 2017 at 2:15 AM

Thank you for the credit! You did awesome with that word! 🙂 Your work efficiency amaze me. You work great I wish I can do half of what all you can. As long as you can take care of your health it’s all great. Enjoy your travel and have a great time! 🙂

September 6, 2017 at 8:10 AM

Thanks, Yesha. I hope you are doing better and stay as healthy as possible. Always enjoy your posts and comments. 🙂

RhapsodyBoheme said:
    September 6, 2017 at 10:28 AM

Happy Birthday dear Ryder, happy Birthday to you. Hope you are having a wagging of a good time. Xo

vinnieh said:
    September 6, 2017 at 12:10 PM

This is awesome work. I particularly like your employment of gifs.

September 6, 2017 at 3:32 PM

I don’t think you’re an automation just exceptionally organised, it’s the project manager in you! I envy you for that, I’m quite organised but not to your level, I aspire to organise like you! ☺

shalini said:
    September 10, 2017 at 8:05 AM

Oh Jay, are you an automaton??thats the secret of your accomplishments 😉

September 11, 2017 at 10:36 AM

This is definitely one of your cleverest! You’ve EARNED some vacation time, Hon!