365 Challenge: Day 178 – Market

Market: (a) a regular gathering of people for the purchase and sale of provisions, livestock, and other commodities, (b) place to trade stock, (c) advertising and promotions

market

It’s been an interesting day. A few days ago, I mentioned it was Ryder’s tenth birthday. He absolutely loves brisket and pot roast. Goes ballistic for it. Sits in front of the oven and stares at it for hours while it cooks. Since we were away for his actual birth date, I promised him a brisket when I returned, even told him I’d cook it today. I try to keep my promises. Just went to the market after the gym with the list of groceries I needed to purchase. This particular market is a regular grocery store one block away from my apartment building. I had enough time to get everything, as well as my lunch, and then come home to eat before a scheduled phone call. I arrive at the market, go immediately to the meat department in search of either a brisket or roast-like product. I had already turned on the air conditioning, as the apartment gets a tad hot when I cook in the oven, and today’s humidity is high with the rain here in NYC. Thought I’d come home, chop the vegetables, brown the meat, pour in a bottle of wine (maybe have a glass myself) and start the cooking process. I get to the meat section; they had every other meat product (filet, chop meat, burgers, hanger steak) but nothing to prepare in the oven. Ryder loves his gravy, carrots and potatoes. He’s gonna be one disappointed dog.

How could a grocery store not carry anything like that? I asked the butcher. He had no response, just shrugged his shoulders. This is the same store earlier this year that had some financial issues, leaving the shelves less than 33% stocked. They’d been out of basic staples, which annoyed me, but I could get those at Duane Reade or the small corner store if necessary. But no meat to make a pot roast with? I was an unhappy camper. So was Ryder when I told him. The nearest grocery store is another seven blocks north, which I normally wouldn’t mind going to, but that’s a bit of a walk to carry multiple bags. Plus I didn’t have the extra time today. I will try on Friday at the other grocery store and cook Ryder his special birthday dinner. Poor little tyke, first we’re not home on his birthday, then a delayed meal. The ‘market’ annoyed me today.

Yesterday, another kind of ‘market’ annoyed me. It shouldn’t, but some days it could drive a guy wacko. I invest money in the stock market. I have since I was 18 when I left for college. I used some of the money I earned in high school and during the summer for college tuition, room, board and expenses. I put some in savings. And I put some in a few stocks based on guidance from another family member. It did relatively well and taught me how to choose my investments. When I graduated from college, one of the presents I bought my mom for her birthday was a shared stock investment account. I put $200 in a new account, told her $100 was hers and $100 was mine. We watched it grow and drop over the years. It was always a fun experiment and bonding session. When I took a full-time job, I received a 401K and company stock. I also made a few private investments. Over the years, it grew and provided a lot of opportunity to learn more about how the stock market works. When I stopped working last summer, I transferred everything to a single account, as I didn’t want to have to worry about checking tons of places. Now I check it every day because it’s more prominent in my mind. Some days it does well. Some days it does not. Yesterday it did not. It’ll correct itself, but yesterday was an unhappy market day.

A third kind of market is how you advertise or promote services and goods. I always hated this type of market. I am not a good salesman. I also am not creative when it comes to thinking about the ways to advertise or promote. When you are an author, you need to do those things. I have a product to sell now. I am appreciative of all my friends who are giving me ideas and even one, the amazing Claire, who did an entire write-up for me on options. I won’t name her as I don’t want to put her on the spot for others to pressure her for help. But if she wants me to, I’ll happily put her name on here. That said, I will soon be turning my focus (once Father Figure editing is done next week) to keeping 50% of my schedule dedicated to marketing ‘Watching Glass Shatter.’ So many things to consider: giveaways, radio spots, book reviews, author profiles, campaigns, Amazon advertisements, book store signings… it’s scary. I am so out of my element. But that’s when you learn the most, which means I need to put on my big boy pants and just do it.

Three types of markets. Some days they are good. Some days they are bad. This week felt like a bad one. Maybe that means next week will be a good one. Eh, it’s a roller coaster. No complaints from me. I’m too happy and lucky with all this progress to worry about small dips. The bigger world is suffering way worse than my little concern over the word market. Just thought it would be a fun little play on words in today’s 365 Daily Challenge. How about the rest of you? Any interesting little stories about these three definitions for the word market? Share with the rest of us!

42 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 178 – Market

September 6, 2017 at 3:09 PM

I hate the food market but only because I hate grocery shopping. I love food though. If I could, I’d mail Ryder a nice Duma’s roast. One day it’ll be easy with a teleport machine. As for the other markets, I’m trying to learn about investing but it’s so overwhelming, I don’t even know where to start. Maybe you can give me some pointers.
    I loooooooooooooove book markets, which I’m sure you know. There are so many avenues! I’m not an expert but I can definitely give you hand on the book marketing side when you’re ready. I worked in retail for too many years and like to think I’m very persuasive hahaha

September 6, 2017 at 3:16 PM

book market!!! love that concept. As for trading, absolutely, we’ll chat offline. Not that I’m any good anymore, as I don’t handle it myself. But I have some ideas and can ask the advisor to help me!
      please send 2 pot roasts. I’l bake one for you too.

September 6, 2017 at 3:20 PM

:D! It’s good roast too! Duma’s is grass fed sustainably raised humane beef! Ryder will get a food coma from it.

September 6, 2017 at 3:23 PM

excellent. two please. I’ll send it back fully cooked.

Finding the Calm in Chaos said:
    September 6, 2017 at 3:22 PM

I’m getting really irritated watching the stock market. Just saying.

September 6, 2017 at 3:23 PM

Yeah! There are days where I am up significantly, then down significantly. hard to tell what to do anymore. but I’ve got a really fantastic guy who’s done wonders, so I have no complaints. knock on wood.

September 6, 2017 at 3:24 PM

I’m blushing a little at this post, you’re too kind! After the way my day has panned out I needed that. And I pretty much hate all markets! Especially ones that involve shopping! Eugh! And how could they not have the meat you wanted for Ryder, that’s just wrong!

September 6, 2017 at 3:28 PM

Totally wrong. They are all bad this week. Sorry!

Would you like me to link back to you in the post? Wasn’t sure if you wanted me to do that in case others then went to you too. Could be good or bad.

September 6, 2017 at 3:33 PM

Haha, I don’t mind, I don’t make a secret of my marketing super powers! 😂

September 6, 2017 at 3:40 PM

fixed! 🙂

September 6, 2017 at 4:23 PM

I love the market called Indigo Acres! Fresh organic produce – done! Fresh organic chicken – done!

September 6, 2017 at 4:32 PM

I know which market you’re talking about and I try to avoid shopping there because the one by me is just horrible on every level (though I did go today cause it was rainy and I was too lazy to go to my favorite market 10 blocks away) but anyway. I love a good farmers market. Flea markets can be fun. What time should I be over for dinner?

September 6, 2017 at 4:34 PM

Yeah, they are horrible! Hmm… tonight I improvised. It will be pasta with sausage and peppers. Nothing fancy. If you want brisket, probably Friday around 7:30 pm.

Mel Gutiér said:
    September 6, 2017 at 9:26 PM

Nice… you definitely have a great deal of experience to share.

September 6, 2017 at 9:48 PM

Mel Gutiér said:
        September 6, 2017 at 9:51 PM

Thank you… babe! 😉

September 6, 2017 at 9:53 PM

anything I can do to help you, please let me know

Mel Gutiér said:
        September 6, 2017 at 9:56 PM

You’ve heard of Bob Mayer?

September 6, 2017 at 9:57 PM

it sounds familiar, but I can’t place it. I could be crazy too.

Mel Gutiér said:
        September 6, 2017 at 10:00 PM

He’s got a lot to say, experience, like you. A few month’s ago I bought a writer’s digest writing kit. I liked how he packaged it and how concise the content was. He has a very professional blog. I’m sure you’re already looking it up.

September 6, 2017 at 10:01 PM

made a note to look it up tomorrow!
        winding down tonight. a little tv, then read and then bed

Mel Gutiér said:
        September 6, 2017 at 10:01 PM

Sounds nice. Good night J.

September 6, 2017 at 10:03 PM

talk more tomorrow!

Mel Gutiér said:
        September 6, 2017 at 10:03 PM

😉

Mel Gutiér said:
        September 7, 2017 at 7:33 AM

Good morning. I’ve sent you a couple of e-mails.

Have a great day! 🙂

September 7, 2017 at 7:36 AM

Good morning. Just woke up and am going thru my overnight messages. Will read and respond a bit later. Thanks. 🙂

Mel Gutiér said:
        September 6, 2017 at 10:01 PM

Anyway… I will email you my idea for you. 😉

September 6, 2017 at 10:02 PM

that would be wonderful

Colors of my life said:
    September 7, 2017 at 3:32 AM

Good going seriously, for me it’s difficult to manage this challenge so I have all the good wishes for you, to carry on.

With your post, you inspire so many fellow bloghers

September 7, 2017 at 7:23 AM

Thank you for such a nice compliment. I appreciate it. It’s always difficult to deal with the market!

tylerus said:
    September 7, 2017 at 11:34 AM

The “market” can have that affect – be annoying. I feel your anguish . . . and the wee one’s. 🙂

carhicks said:
    September 8, 2017 at 7:54 AM

Of the three you talk about the one that I remember fondly is the first. When I was 14, I started working Saturdays at the “City Market”. It was an open air market and I worked at one of the butcher/meat counters. I met some of the quirkiest and nicest people working there. I had to get up at 5:00 because work started at 6:00 and my parents had to drive me, but it brings back fond memories. Good luck with your marketing for your book. That will be one that will definitely take a lot of your time.

September 8, 2017 at 7:59 AM

Great share… early morning at work as a kid, we all remember that! 🙂 Thanks for the good wishes.

shalini said:
    September 10, 2017 at 8:04 AM

Oh I did go to the market to search for a good guy but alas it said out of stock… 😉😉😂😂

September 10, 2017 at 9:57 AM

i want to laugh. but then i feel bad. lol oh, well i did. sorry! was funny.

shalini said:
        September 10, 2017 at 11:07 AM

It was meant to be funny… Hehehehe 😂😂

September 11, 2017 at 10:42 AM

Our markets are just now getting things in and back on the shelves. For many days, the food delivery trucks couldn’t get to our little town, and during the flooding, people were existing on chips and snacks as meals. My Better Half got the last pack of flour tortillas off the shelf of the only grocery we could get to (There was no bread) and a Latina lady looked at him and he said the look on her face said, “Really? And YOU are a gringo!” My friend said she probably went home and made her own. I hope so! It was rough, and only just now we can look back at it with calm and appreciate the little humorous things that happened.

September 11, 2017 at 5:45 PM

Hmmm… people say the funniest things. I’m glad you’re all ok, even if it’s been rough… grateful you can let us know how you are and get back to stocked stores soon. Thank you.