365 Challenge: Day 180 – Vulnerable

Vulnerable: susceptible to physical or emotional attack or harm

vulnerable

Being vulnerable is often interpreted as letting yourself be open to something that might hurt you. It’s usually not associated with a positive outcome, leaving us to worry about the consequences of other people’s or even our own actions. It could be that we reveal too much about ourselves or we let emotions control our reactions to those around us. In the end, we feel vulnerable over the entire situation, afraid of letting it ever happen again. Being vulnerable is scary. But sometimes being vulnerable, in a healthy way, can help us grow.

Fear is always going to exist. There will always be bad people who do bad things for bad reasons. Life is not a perfectly run machine; there are accidents, breakdowns and system failures. Sometimes it feels like the right thing to do is avoid risk and stay hidden somewhere no one can reach us. Yet if we remain closed up, unable to share our thoughts and interact with others, we might miss out on a ton of good things still to come. That’s where there the element of surprise can often bring wonderful change, giving us the freedom to control some of the parameters so that we have better balance among our ability to be vulnerable in a good way in front of others.

Today’s 365 Daily Challenge word is ‘vulnerable’ as a reminder that while there are many types of natural and unnatural disasters happening all around us, we can’t let ourselves be afraid to open up to others in a safe and comfortable environment. Look for the areas of life where you can experience beauty and love, by letting yourself be a little bit more receptive to new and sometimes scary ideas. Don’t focus on all the negative things that could bring more harm than necessary. Find a balance where vulnerability is within your power to share in comfortable situations and withhold in uncomfortable ones. It doesn’t have to mean someone is weak or open to attack because they allow themselves a bit of vulnerability. It could be that (s)he will find a positive connection that helps calm and settle everything around them.

It’s OK to say “I can’t do it all” or give yourself permission to make a mistake. People understand when you need to take smaller steps and re-schedule something. You can allow yourself a few moments to breathe without worrying what others will think of you. Being vulnerable in a healthy manner is simply taking care of yourself so that you can recharge and refresh before moving forward with a decision or action. But being vulnerable can also be an opportunity to discover something new about yourself.

49 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 180 – Vulnerable

September 8, 2017 at 8:09 AM

Vulnerability can truly show the hidden, beautiful parts of the soul! Love this one! 💚

September 8, 2017 at 8:31 AM

Great post James! All of it is completely true 🙂

theGracetyle said:
    September 8, 2017 at 8:33 AM

Completely agree on how vulnerability can help us grow! I think not only ourselves, but also relationships 🙂 The more I become vulnerable to my friends,family,boyfriend, etc., the more I connect with them and end up developing a more meaningful relationship with them.

MoJo said:
    September 8, 2017 at 8:34 AM

It’s funny that you are writing on this one this week. That’s been a big topic I have been mentally chewing on as well. I debate the balance between letting your guard down to let someone in and maybe help someone out versus leaving yourself unprotected. It’s a scary thing (at least it is for me), and you never know what the response is going to be. Unless you decide to take a pic in that striped one piece jumper thing. I definitely know what my reaction will be if you do that. I’m still hoping that you do someday. 😉

theloyalbritwit said:
    September 8, 2017 at 8:39 AM

A short, concise, but an important message today, Jay! Though it’s short in length, I do not think you are lacking in power in getting your message across. Well done!

Also, though they are not quite the same, both of our posts today is about being vulnerable in a some capacity.

September 8, 2017 at 7:16 PM

I appreciate it. I am hoping to get something strong in but with less words going forward. I did read yours earlier — yes, a similar approach

September 8, 2017 at 9:02 AM

Great post. We can’t help but feel this way at times, yet we usually need to get over it so we can on with our lives. I am going to stop now so I don’t begin to ramble….

September 8, 2017 at 9:38 AM

Great post, James. It’s true. I could go on and on! ❤

Books Teacup and Reviews said:
    September 8, 2017 at 9:52 AM

This one was beautiful, short, and to the point post.I liked it. 🙂

September 8, 2017 at 11:38 AM

Beautiful post. Vulnerability is one of my biggest fears. I need to work on that.

September 8, 2017 at 7:18 PM

such a fine balance! missed chatting today. editing took over my life!

September 8, 2017 at 7:27 PM

Missed chatting as well! You weren’t there kicking my butt! Luckily I still did a load of editing, but not as much as you! 😲

September 8, 2017 at 7:54 PM

Good job! I’ll push again next week. 🙂

September 8, 2017 at 11:50 AM

Good one. It is scary putting yourself out there but the rewards can be worth it. Happy Friday!

tylerus said:
    September 8, 2017 at 11:56 AM

Thanks for a good post (as always). It’s given me food for thought re my own [current] approach to life.

September 8, 2017 at 1:28 PM

great post jay! i totally agree! 🤗

Patrick Dykie said:
    September 8, 2017 at 3:58 PM

Great post today. I was thinking about this a few days ago. I’m the type of person who doesn’t like being vulnerable. I’m always the strong one that people, including my family depend on. My wife is probably the only one who has ever seen me vulnerable. To be honest; it scared her a little. She’s so used to me being in control. I don’t even drink, because I don’t want to be vulnerable.

September 8, 2017 at 7:20 PM

I completely understand what you are saying. I think there’s a way to be strong and vulnerable at the same time, showing how in the vulnerability, you can learn how to keep things moving in the direction. But I also understand the concept of always being strong as a way for people to see you as the solid rock.

As for drinking, personal choice – I hear you!

Mel Gutiér said:
      September 8, 2017 at 10:57 PM

Wow! That was a very courageous share. Your vulnerability just became your strength!

Run Wright said:
    September 8, 2017 at 4:46 PM

I’ve been cycling through some emotions lately and that mindset makes me more vulnerable than usual so it’s great to read your thoughts on the word.
    I hope you have a great weekend, James.

September 8, 2017 at 7:22 PM

Have a great weekend, too. A cycle is good tho, as long as it doesn’t just keep going in circles with little direction. Hopefully you branch upwards. I’m looking forward to your 365 this weekend. I will catch up!

Mel Gutiér said:
    September 8, 2017 at 11:00 PM

What everyone said! Well said! Great shares! No surprise how wonderfully insightful you are Jay.

Luv ya!

I am Aranab said:
    September 9, 2017 at 1:26 AM

True that. Sometimes we just go all out and overwhelm ourselves thinking people won’t understand. but people always understands.

shalini said:
    September 10, 2017 at 8:01 AM

I generally show my vulnerability to people who have been there for me. On WordPress, it’s you and Jo. And in real life, there are just a couple of people.. But on the whole, I don’t like too many people knowing too much about my inner feelings

September 10, 2017 at 9:57 AM

Thank you for trusting me.

shalini said:
        September 10, 2017 at 11:08 AM

You have always been there from the very beginning of my blogging, and especially when I was very very sad. …. Thank you

Navya said: