365 Challenge: Day 182 – Authors (My Top 10)

Authors: Writers of books that are in my top 10 list

authos

Sunday posts, the end of each week, have become a theme on This-Is-My-Truth-Now, organized by groups of five (5) focused on interesting things about my life. I’m continuing the trend of the seventh day, ending the week on Sunday, as a list (we know I love them) that provides more in depth knowledge about me.

• Weeks 1 – 5: My Ethnicity
  • Weeks 6 – 10: A to Z Favorites
  • Weeks 11 – 15: Meaningful Colors
  • Weeks 16 – 20: Cities I’ve lived
  • Weeks 21 – 25: Jobs I’ve held

The next set of 5 Sundays covers the “Top 10” of entertainment options that I spend my time thinking about or doing: Authors/Books I Read (Week 26), TV Shows I Watch (Week 27), Countries to Visit (Week 28), Foods to Cook (Week 29), and Places to Spend Time (Week 30). It’s a bit of an unwieldy set of similar items, but these are five leisure activities where I spend a majority of my time, which clearly speak volumes about who I am and how I like to keep myself occupied.

author.png

First up is a list of my ten favorite authors, chosen based on each having a number of books I have read or want to keep reading. Often in my favorite genres (mystery fiction, historical fiction or suspense/thriller fiction), you will likely see a pattern. I only selected authors under the following conditions: (1) I’ve read at least 2 of their books, (2) They have more coming out or already out that I desperately want to read, (3) I could re-read some of their books and still get something new from them each time, and (4) one or more of their books have been adapted to film or TV, which I have seen and loved.

It was tough to narrow down to only ten, and sometimes I questioned whether I just enjoyed the author’s novels or I truly felt I could read them at anytime. If I hesitated, I tossed them to the next level, which means this is a list of people who while I might not love 100% of everything they do, I can always settle into a comfy chair with a cup of coffee and a few hours in the world they’ve created (just for me, I know they had me and me alone in mind when writing the words!). These ten are in no specific order!

• Agatha Christie
    • All the mystery and suspense I need to keep me highly interested
    • Favorite: And Then There Were None
  • Ken Follett
    • The storytelling is top-notch, I can feel all the connections between time periods and characters
    • Favorite: World Without End
  • Kate Morton
    • Amazing and brilliant descriptions, ability to transport you to a different setting
    • Favorite: The Forgotten Garden* (not yet a film, but I see it in my head already)
  • Dan Brown
    • Unbelievable suspense, so many weaving plots, rich depth of plot and setting
    • Favorite: Angels and Demons
  • Henry James
    • Lyrical language capable of truly making you think about who you are and why you choose to do the things you do
    • Favorite: Daisy Miller
  • J. K. Rowling
    • A world of magic like no other, I can read these over and over again with utter joy, even as an adult
    • Favorite: The Philosopher’s Stone
  • Edgar Allan Poe
    • I am a huge lover of Gothic and dark literature when done properly
    • Favorite: The Tell-Tale Heart
  • William Shakespeare
    • The ability to strike a balance between plot and character, where you simply get lost in everything he has to deliver
    • Favorite: Othello
  • Janet Evanovich
    • A bit of mystery, romance and humor, the only series I find myself laughing aloud consistently
    • Favorite: Eleven on Top
  • Philippa Gregory
    • I adore British history and lineage of all the kings and queens, plus her ability to present historical fiction in such a beautiful manner captivates my attention
    • Favorite: The White Queen

vig.jpg

What are your favorite books? Who are your must-read authors? What’s your favorite activity to keep occupied when you have free time to spare?

69 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 182 – Authors (My Top 10)

September 10, 2017 at 9:14 AM

Favorites: Lindsay Buroker, Becca Andre, Judith McNaught, Darynda Jones, Ilona Andrews, Alexandre Dumas, Maria V. Snyder, Sandra Brown. Guilty pleasure authors: Julie Garwood, Anne Stuart and Elizabeth Lowell. I read or Netflix in my spare time. 😁

September 10, 2017 at 9:18 AM

I know a few of them! Maybe Sandra Brown will become a favorite once I Read Envy.

September 10, 2017 at 9:18 AM

I hope so! Your books remind me of her

September 10, 2017 at 9:19 AM

That’s such a wonderful compliment! 🙂

September 10, 2017 at 9:20 AM

It’s fact. 😊

Kristin @ Kristin Kraves Books said:
    September 10, 2017 at 9:16 AM

I always love finding other people who like Philippa Gregory! Her books really got me in to reading historical fiction.

September 10, 2017 at 9:18 AM

She is fantastic. I’m behind on the last two as I’ve gotten pulled in to so many ARCs. But I intend to get to them before the end of this year! Which is your favorite series or book?

Books Teacup and Reviews said:
    September 10, 2017 at 9:33 AM

Fav – Rick Riordan, Cassandra Clare, J. R. R. Tolkien, J. K. Rowling, India R Adams.
    Must read- Definitely my favorite authors. I have read almost all books by these authors and I will keep reading anything written by them.
    I watch Movies in my free time. I watch at least 3 movies every week and more if I have time. 😅

September 10, 2017 at 9:55 AM

I’ve read 2 of those authors. I’ll have to add the rest. Thanks for the heads up.

I don’t watch a lot of movies, that’s why I didn’t list that as 1 of my Top 10 Sundays… I might throw one in the TV show section! lol

Mel Gutiér said:
    September 10, 2017 at 9:50 AM

You’re a cool fellow!

Great post!

Firelands said:
    September 10, 2017 at 9:59 AM

Although she did not write “books,” my favorite author is a poet: Emily Dickinson. Her poems are compact, complex stories, with points of view, narrative arc, and all the other elements of craft that characterize novels.

September 10, 2017 at 10:00 AM

Great reminder! I really enjoy her work, too. I have a few poets I go back to frequently. Did you happen to see the exhibit in NYC a few months ago? (I assume given the name of your site that you may live here)

September 10, 2017 at 10:12 AM

My favorite authors would be Adam Silvera, Celeste Ng and last but definitely NOT least, Ken Follett, thanks to you! 😊

MoJo said:
    September 10, 2017 at 10:31 AM

That is a fantastic author list! I would have to add Tolkein and C.S. Lewis, but I don’t know which ones I would take off in their place. Hmmm. Great post. This one is going to haunt my brain all day. I just know I’m going to be messing around with my own top ten list now. 🙂 Have a beautiful Sunday JC4!

September 10, 2017 at 10:32 AM

I had both on there and removed them too. I forced myself to choose between Rowling and Tolkien. And then between Henry james and Cs Lewis.

MoJo said:
        September 10, 2017 at 12:46 PM

Both very very good alternates. Like I said, I didn’t know which of yours to knock off the list. Soon your name will be on everyone’s list, too!!

September 10, 2017 at 1:47 PM

I’d love that. But I’ll be happy with a small following!

MoJo said:
        September 10, 2017 at 2:30 PM

Always dream big my friend. Life is to important to settle for less than what you want or less than who you are. Unless that is literally what you want, and in that case, you’re already there!

September 10, 2017 at 3:48 PM

🙂

September 10, 2017 at 10:33 AM

Good luck. Sorry!

September 10, 2017 at 10:43 AM

Great choices though I’ve never read Follett. Would love to buddy read “origin” with you next month. Assuming either of us has time to read……

Cozynookbks said:
    September 10, 2017 at 11:06 AM

I’m still discovering new authors. I like Julie Klassen, Kate Hewitt, Liane Moriarty, H.Y. Hanna and so many others.
    Too many favorite books to mention at the moment.

September 10, 2017 at 11:16 AM

I am a fan of the classics! Poe is an all time favorite! “It is the beating of his hideous heart!”

misifusa said:
    September 10, 2017 at 11:21 AM

Oh my Jay! I have a ton of favorites that I can’t even begin to list! But here are a few: Louise Hay, Wayne Dyer, Jodi Picoult, Lianne Moriarty, Philippa Gregory! I know there are more but I just can’t think on a Sunday morning! How cool that you mentioned Philippa Gregory as well! Great taste!

September 10, 2017 at 1:49 PM

She’s awesome… good add! I have more to read on Picouly and Moriarty, but I do like them both.

misifusa said:
        September 11, 2017 at 8:28 AM

I am bookmarking that post Jay so I can go back and find more authors to read when I’m ready! Thanks!

September 11, 2017 at 8:29 AM

Excellent!

September 10, 2017 at 11:35 AM

I’m totally with you on Poe and Shakespeare! I love this list, looking forward to seeing what you watch on TV! 🤔

September 10, 2017 at 11:45 AM

Poe and J.K. Rowling for sure! I still need to finish a few Harry Potter books. I’d add Jodi Picoult, Anne Rice, Tolkien, Jamie McGuire, Twain, Nicholas Sparks, Diana Gabaldon, Dahl, Dickens… There are too many! 💖 Great post. 🙂

September 10, 2017 at 1:48 PM

Diana Gabaldon! I only read 1, so I couldn’t add her. But I have Dragonfly sitting here……… and you need to read more HP soon!

inspirationpie said:
    September 10, 2017 at 12:01 PM

Great list, Jay! I love Dan Brown and JK Rowling. I’ve never read Evanovich but I think her books would be right up my alley. Right now I’m reading Liane Moriarty Big Little Lies. It’s the second book I’ve read by her and really enjoying it. Have a great Sunday 🙂

Jo-Ann

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    September 10, 2017 at 2:30 PM

Yay Shakespeare belongs on every favourite authors list!! And I love Poe 😀

September 10, 2017 at 3:52 PM

I have heard of several of these authors but I have only read J.K. Rowling. My favorite author which I am sure you already know by now because I talk about it non stop (haha) is Nicholas Sparks. Out of the 9 authors that are left on your list that I haven’t read which one would would you recommend me read? If you can choose just one I will add you favorite book to my TBR so long as it’s not in the middle of a series lol. I really want to find new authors.

September 10, 2017 at 9:58 PM

I will pick one tomorrow morning. Very exciting!!!!

September 10, 2017 at 10:15 PM

Oh yay thank you I will be looking out for it.

September 11, 2017 at 7:53 AM

I think you would like Kate Morton the most, since you like Nicholas Sparks. But, I also think Ken Follett’s Night Over Water might be good too, as it’s mystery and suspense, with a little bit of romance….

September 11, 2017 at 11:40 AM

I will check out both of them. Hopefully my library will have some of their books. I probably want get there for a week or two because i am in a tropical storm warning right now so I’m not leaving my house anytime soon lol.

September 11, 2017 at 5:44 PM

Please be safe!!!!

September 11, 2017 at 6:45 PM

Thanks James I will!! So far it’s really not to bad!!

Stephanie said:
    September 10, 2017 at 10:22 PM

Excellent list! I have read and love every author on here…except I’ve never read a single thing by Kate Morton! I don’t know how that is, lol. I just looked and I own The Lake House too! I need to read it this year if I can. Poe…he belongs on every list ❤

September 11, 2017 at 7:51 AM

Totally agree on Poe. Thanks. And you need to read Morton! Please! 🙂

Stephanie said:
        September 11, 2017 at 11:43 AM

Yes! I will! I promise before the end of the year. I’m not sure why I haven’t since I love historical fiction.

September 11, 2017 at 5:43 PM

very cool!!!

anne leueen said:
    September 11, 2017 at 5:31 AM

Very interesting list! Mine would include Tolstoy ( War and Peace, Anna Karenina), Chekov ( Cherry Orchard.) Shakespeare ( Macbeth, As You like It, Twelfth Night, Othello, Cymbeline) And what to do with free time? Daydream.

Aislynn d'Merricksson said:
    September 11, 2017 at 5:51 AM

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle! He’s created a character in Sherlock that is enduring beyond what he expected. Sherlock is a century and a quarter old, and still going strong.

Others include RA Salvatore, Naomi Novik. Brent Weeks. On the non-fiction side, Jared Diamond.

My free time is spent reading, playing one of my tablet games, or writing. May include background music or TV, or snuggled with a loved one. :p

September 11, 2017 at 7:50 AM

Good add with Sherlock! The others are new authors for me, thanks for the new ideas.

September 11, 2017 at 11:43 AM

Yep, I have to add Sir Arthur Conan Doyle as well. Dame Agatha of course. I am going to have to check out Janet Evanovich. Anyone with that first name has to be great 🙂 Have you read any Sue Grafton? I love her Kinsey Millhone character.

September 11, 2017 at 5:44 PM

Yes, I agree on Doyle. And I’ve read a lot of Grafton, up until T, I believe. I’m a few behind. Love them.

Valerie @ Valerie's Musings said:
    September 11, 2017 at 2:30 PM

I have a lot of authors that I “must read”. Kate Carlisle, Heather Blake/Heather Webber, Agatha Christie, most Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb, Steve Berry, Lynn Kurland (particularly her Nine Kingdoms series), J.K. Rowling, Ava Miles, and Anne McCaffrey’s Dragon Riders of Pern series are just a few.

“The Forgotten Garden” is my favorite of Kate Morton’s works as well. I love it. 🙂 My favorite Harry Potter is Goblet of Fire. There’s so much character development and little plot details that are easy to miss that make it my favorite.

September 11, 2017 at 5:41 PM

Oh Kate Morton!!! Jmm… a few new authors for me to try. Thanks. I think I read a Kate Carlisle once, I have to look that up.

September 12, 2017 at 9:21 AM

great list jay! i always wanted to give janet evanovich a try but i never did!

Becky (coffeecocktailsandbooks) said:
    September 12, 2017 at 11:41 AM

Love your favorite authors list!

Dan Brown is one of my favorites (I adore Inferno and Angels and Demons) and of course J. K. Rowling. Tell-Tale Heart is my favorite Poe story! I read it every Halloween!

I’ve nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award

September 16, 2017 at 8:36 AM

What fun this is gonna’ be!

Run Wright said:
    September 17, 2017 at 5:36 PM

Nice to see Shakespeare on your list. So many young people are tortured with his writing during their teen years that they never learn to love him. I am doing a book club reading of his Tempest this week.

carhicks said:
    September 18, 2017 at 8:32 AM

Great list. I read some of them, but others I have not tried. I read so many different genres that it is hard to pick favourites. Some would be Robert Munsch (kids), Jodi Piccoult, Kristin Hannah, John Grippando, John Grisham, Lisa Scottoline, Sue Grafton, Lois Lowrey (middle grades), Christopher Paul Curtis (middle grades) and others. I will need to check out some of the authors on your list.