365 Challenge: Day 185 – Burp

Burp: to expel gas through the mouth from the stomach, to belch

burp

There are days I wake up simply knowing the word for the 365 Daily Challenge. There are others when I spend at least fifteen minutes surfing the web or wandering around my apartment, searching for something apropos. Then there are moments where for some unknown reason, the word just makes itself known and I can do nothing but accept it, even when it’s an awful word I wish I didn’t have to discuss. Today is one of those days. Nothing roamed about the brain when I awoke. Nothing appeared while I made the bed. Then a certain little doggie followed me from the bedroom to the kitchen, when he made the loudest burp I’ve ever heard him ever make before. And it got me to thinking… where did the word ‘burp’ come from?

Spent a few minutes researching it, but the only source I could find is that it’s a classic case of “echoic” foundation or onomatopoeia, words that resemble the sound the action makes. I thought about it for a minute, trying to decide if that’s what it really sounds like. I hear a bit more of a “blegh” than a “burp,” but then again, I rarely ever burp. Or belch, but I dislike that word about as much as other people dislike the word ‘moist.’ I have no issues with the word ‘moist’ as I have positive connotations with it, like a moist cake. Let me stop there before I go off on a tangent. It’s more than the word belch that I dislike; it’s the concept of belching or burping. I’m not one to burp even though I eat all sorts of weird foods that undoubtedly test the body’s digestive tract.

Some people and cultures, based on what I just read, believe burping is a way to tell someone you enjoyed a good meal. Others find it so brutally offensive, you often might not be invited back. I’m somewhere in the middle, but I admit, when I hear someone burp, my head immediately drops them down 1 peg on the scale on which I measure everyone. That sounds a lot worse than it really is, and I regret typing those words now. But as everyone knows the rules around here, I only allow myself to correct grammar and spelling; I am not allowed to remove sentences because I worried about the content. That scale I measure people on has about a million pegs on it, so dropping one is totally acceptable. No one is perfect.

While I understand sometimes the body can’t control its need to burp, the action can be hidden or done privately. That’s probably why I dislike it, since I am usually the one to be as least intrusive as possible, I wouldn’t want to interrupt a meal with that particular kind of distraction. But I’m human, and there have been a few times when the burp just happened. I suppose I can’t chastise others when I have had a few uncontrollable ones. It seems for some mammals, not letting yourself burp might actually endanger your life. Definitely can’t be upset with them, can you? But on a more serious note, my point is rather that if you could control it, why wouldn’t you, unless there was danger? It’s a sign of respect not to display extraneous and unnecessary noises in my house!

On another fascinating (um, not really) note, did you know that the word ‘burpee’ has nothing to do with the word ‘burp?’ I was surprised. I don’t like cucumbers, so I can’t say that I’ve tried the burpee kind. Who names a cucumber a burpee? Is it because they make you burp? Please share if you know, I’m curious now. I’ve also done a few burpees in the gym; not my favorite as it causes people to stare at you. But it was named for a doctor / fitness guru named Burpee. How do all these words connect together? It will distract me all day today so that I avoid doing the things I should be doing.

Perhaps the first man or woman who burped actually coined the word burp. I also find it funny that some people can burp on queue.  Or that people have contests for it. Or it’s taught to children as something funny to do. I couldn’t do any of these things if my life depended on it. What an interesting topic for today… but it is what it is. And I have a bunch of editing to do, so the word stands. If you have any information about the source of this whole peculiarity, please share. I’ve got a bone to pick with them… in the meantime, how do you all feel about the word ‘burp?’

burp.jpeg

68 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 185 – Burp

superwifeandmummy said:
    September 13, 2017 at 9:27 AM

This one made me giggle! I love that your doggy inspired your post and isn’t it funny where words come from?
    That’s why I enjoy making up my own! 😂

superwifeandmummy said:
    September 13, 2017 at 9:29 AM

Wait. .what? 😕

September 13, 2017 at 9:32 AM

Ooops left a word out. “make ’em UP” as in make up the words so you can avoid the ones you don’t like.

superwifeandmummy said:
        September 13, 2017 at 9:38 AM

Haha! Excellent, I love it when the keyboard /keypad effs with us 😂

Good point! 😊

September 13, 2017 at 9:42 AM

You realize you’re going to have to do a moist 365 challenge. Haha. I don’t burp often unless it’s on a rare occasion that I drink pop and then its uncontrollable. My husband hates the sounds of my hiccups more than my burps. They don’t really bother me and the huge ones that can come out of people usually cause me to say “nice” more often than not especially when it’s a huge burp out of a tiny person, lol.

Atwood Cutting said:
    September 13, 2017 at 9:59 AM

Good morning. I must confess that I spent an entire afternoon in my youth perfecting the skill of burping on cue. Why? Not sure. I also practiced turning my tongue over until I could dazzle friends at any gathering. Yes, I did grow up in a barn. But it was such an interesting barn.
    I cherish many memories of a childhood spent on my own, with whatever pet I had at the moment and my imagination. Sally, my leghorn hen, couldn’t burp or turn her tongue over, so maybe it moved me up a rung in my own estimation of cleverness.

Catching up with yesterday’s word, I have been dogged in my pursuit and acquisition of useless skills, culminating with a master of arts degree in aesthetic expression, whatever that means. I
    Now it’s time to bask on my laurels, and enjoy what Nature offers each day: a rising sun over an abundant plain.

Have a good one! Atwood

September 13, 2017 at 3:10 PM

Dogged: I like your approach! 🙂

Burp: I suppose it’s ok for kids! LOL And if it made you clever, then totally a good thing!

Atwood Cutting said:
        September 16, 2017 at 3:36 PM

Clever-yay. That’s good. Enjoy the Hudson, and the valley, and Nature resplendent.

September 16, 2017 at 4:31 PM

kerrymckim said:
    September 13, 2017 at 10:13 AM

This. Is awesome.

September 13, 2017 at 10:59 AM

Yeah, not a fan of burping but agree that the word is better than belching. Always tried to make sure my kids would say “excuse me” if they did burp in my presence at least. Burping the alphabet is prohibited!

declutteringmylifeweb said:
    September 13, 2017 at 11:22 AM

We are so ashamed of our own bodies’ operation. 🙂 Even sweating visibly is a social gilt…. maybe we hate everything that we cant control.

September 13, 2017 at 3:11 PM

True, but if we can’t control it, we shouldn’t force the hate? eh… probably not accurate on my part.

Mel Gutiér said:
    September 13, 2017 at 11:36 AM

I thought I had responded to this. Must get new phone!

No comment. Have to find a private place.

Patty said:
    September 13, 2017 at 1:27 PM

What a funny post. Now you will have to do a post with the word moist. 😉

September 13, 2017 at 3:12 PM

Yes! Or make Roda do it!!!

Patty said:
        September 13, 2017 at 3:13 PM

LOL!!! Yes make Roda do it! 🙂 Oh by the way check out today’s Hump Day post. 😉

September 13, 2017 at 3:14 PM

I am so behind! Will get there soon. Ooh excited now.

Patty said:
        September 13, 2017 at 3:14 PM

You should be. There are some really good covers on there today and something special.

September 13, 2017 at 3:15 PM

ok, going now, patience was never a virtue for me

Patty said:
        September 13, 2017 at 3:16 PM

lol. me either.

September 13, 2017 at 3:18 PM

OMG! Just read it…. I have no words!

Patty said:
        September 13, 2017 at 3:18 PM

I hope that is a good speechless. 😉

September 13, 2017 at 3:22 PM

Yes! Just finished replying on your post. 🙂

September 13, 2017 at 2:03 PM

No…not the word moist! Cringing just thinking about it!😬😬😬😬

September 13, 2017 at 2:58 PM

I’m neutral in burp…..it is what is is. Burped on the other hand is the offensive word. I think the doctor who invented it was bullied as a child because of his name, so he decided to invent the worlds worst and most horrible exercise…..

cwhiteweb said:
    September 13, 2017 at 3:22 PM

Haha interesting choice of word.
    I grew up with my brothers as my friends so learning how to burp pm queue was one of those “skills” I acquired, along with whistling and the sort. But I get what you’re saying about it being controllable and thus dropping people a peg or two lower if they do it freely and don’t consider it rude. I find it rude, unless you have your mouth covered and say “excuse me” after. At least it’s one peg for you. It’s a whole bunch for me 🙈

September 13, 2017 at 3:23 PM

But we’re on the same page, which is the part that counts! 🙂 Glad to hear more about your life growing up, too!

Mel Gutiér said:
    September 13, 2017 at 3:29 PM

Another thought.

Burping, if you think about it, is the body recovering, becoming healthy again.

We should be grateful for that. 😉

September 13, 2017 at 3:36 PM

you always have a brighter side to share, don’t you! 🙂

Mel Gutiér said:
        September 13, 2017 at 3:39 PM

🙂 I was just thinking… Can you imagine the build up? It could be painful. Clearly burping has its purpose.

See how thought provoking your posts are! 😉

September 13, 2017 at 3:48 PM

oy, and i only ever thought of it as noise!

September 13, 2017 at 3:46 PM

You will remember that I told you visiting my family is a little like going to the circus. One of the acts is the burping competition between everyone, except me.
    I hold your opinion on them, it’s really disgusting, hold it in people! I have no idea where the word came from either, it does fit the sound though.

September 13, 2017 at 8:49 PM

My cat Lena burps after a satisfying meal. She gobbles down treaties so quickly (I guess before I can snatch them away from her–as if I would do that–or before I can grab her and give her her medicines–I HAVE been known to do THAT. She burps it back up, and I am stuck with the messy clean up job of undigested cat treats and lots of wet bile. Poor dear; she is getting old (She will be 17 in November.)

September 13, 2017 at 10:55 PM

She can easily be forgiven at 16 or 17. I just love her name

September 14, 2017 at 6:19 AM

Her full name is Little Lanky Lena Lou Longest…very alliterative, huh? I call her Leanie Beanie. She yowls when I call her that. My Better Half says she doesn’t like the nickname and it’s rude of me to refer to her as that!

September 14, 2017 at 7:30 AM

I do enjoy the full name. If she is vocal, she may also love it.

September 13, 2017 at 8:51 PM

Please, DO NOT do make a post on the word, “Moist”! noooooooooooo, I cannot take it lol
    Burp is fine, it’s part of our body’s function. I would avoid it or at least try to do it in private, but if I couldn’t, so be it and I wouldn’t mind others doing it, either unless they’re doing it to spite me lol

September 13, 2017 at 10:54 PM

Hehe. Even if it’s about cake

September 13, 2017 at 10:57 PM

Ooops, You got me there!

September 13, 2017 at 10:58 PM

Haha. I will try to avoid it. Someone else gave me three great words for when I return from my trip.

September 13, 2017 at 11:01 PM

All right, now I have something to keep my eyes peeled!

jessicarachow said:
    September 14, 2017 at 1:45 PM

I’m so glad to hear I’m not the only person on the planet not offended by the word ‘moist,’ haha. Great post.

janieleeds said:
    September 15, 2017 at 4:39 PM

If you offered me a million dollars to burp on cue, I’d fail because I can’t do that on cue. Similarly to you, I keep those types of things on the downlow. I’d be embarrassed if a burp escaped me.

September 16, 2017 at 7:36 AM

This is too funny. We had an old friend in the family that had a saying when I was a kid…

“It’s better to belch the belch and bear the shame than squelch the belch and bear the pain.”

We weren’t allowed do either in front of other people. My Russian grandmother would put the kibosh on us and that was never fun. When I got married, I learned that everyone is raised differently. It took me about 10 years to get my husband to stop doing it in front of people. For me, if it’s close, it grosses me out. Far away I can deal with it if I have to. It just seems rude though! Hee Hee.

Funny post! ❤

September 16, 2017 at 8:31 AM

That is one of the best quotes I’ve ever heard. Thank you for sharing that story. Made me giggle as I’m drinking my coffee on the couch this morning! 🙂

Aislynn d'Merricksson said:
    September 17, 2017 at 6:49 AM

😂😂 I’m the same way. I go out of my way to stifle burps or other noises I deem unnecessary. Even sneezes, though it’s not good for heart and eardrums to really hold a sneeze in. But I have loud sneezes…. People who don’t seem to care about loudly burping, or farting around others annoy the truck out of me. :/ I don’t wanna hear that.

carhicks said:
    September 18, 2017 at 8:42 AM

I am with you. I try to be as unobtrusive as possible when I need to burp and I find it rude when people belch and do not excuse themselves. My grandson will burp, then look around to see if anyone heard him before he excuses himself. I say excuse me even when I am alone.