365 Challenge: Day 186 – Coffee

Coffee: a drink made from the roasted and ground bean-like seeds of a tropical shrub, served hot or iced

coffee

Since we leave on our North Carolina road trip very shortly, my focus the next few days is planning the final itinerary, closing up edits on the novel and packing. I also need to start shortening my posts since I only plan to post a picture, select the word that comes to mind and riff about it for a few hundred words. Oh, there’s a good word for tomorrow: riff.  And ultimately, we all need a vacation sometimes, don’t judge me!  But today is all about the coffee. I was overly tired this morning and stared at the coffee pot as it dripped, waiting for the luscious flavor to wake me up. I wondered how others feel about coffee…

Many of my online friends are clearly tea drinkers, so I will perhaps focus on tea as the 365 Daily Challenge word in the future. As for coffee, my earliest memory of it was going out to the diner with my grandparents when I was about 8 or 9, asking for my own cup. I was not allowed to drink it at that age, often told it would stunt my growth. I vividly recall coming back from the doctor one day after he told me I’d probably grow to about 5’11. I continued to beg for coffee (maybe that’s where Ryder gets his begging from…), which eventually led to a small compromise. My grandfather would pour the creamer from those tiny little cups into his coffee, then pour coffee into the creamer cup for me. It was smaller than a shot glass, but I felt so special that I was able to drink coffee with the adults. I all honesty, I’ve been an adult even when I was a child. I skipped over childhood for some reason — I think I just liked socializing around my older family members rather than cousins or even friends sometimes. I was am weird. We’ve all got problems, right?

Anyway, the doctor was wrong. I topped out at 5’7 which has always bothered me. I wanted to be 5’10 or 5’11. I blame the coffee. What else could it be? Silly genetics? No one else in my family was tall. Ah, coffee, I’m easily distracted again today. My mom drank Folgers so I drink Folgers, but I’m open to almost anything. She yells at me now when I buy a canister in my grocery store which usually retails for about $6.50. I’m too lazy to check the size, but you probably know it — typical canister of coffee. OK, fine, I went to check: 11.3 ounces or 320 grams. You can’t call me lazy anymore. She now buys it for me on Long Island and delivers a few bags when she visits on Sundays. I think she gets it on sale for around $2.99. How awful is that price difference? Better yet, it’s probably even less in other parts of the country. There’s a whole different post one day… how can prices vary that much??? Yikes, I am all over the place today. Go ahead and laugh.

W likes Community Coffee from Louisiana, so we occasionally buy a few bags and have them shipped. His stepmother once sent us a huge bag, and it was really good. I had tried it when I was down there, but you can never tell from one cup, plus my memory is bad with those types of things — unless we talk about it, I forget it. I have too much to remember about characters and plots to even try to hold on to the mundane things like which coffee I like, how to put my socks on, you need to put the key in the door before you turn the knob… We even ground our own beans from that bag, which is definitely a fun thing to do. Thank you Joni if you are reading this!!!

I’m a 3 to 4 cup kinda guy each morning. I use a fat free hazelnut or french vanilla creamer, which means I don’t need to use any sugar either. Sometimes I’ll have another cup in the afternoon if I need a pick me up. Rarely at night. Not sure how/why I’d drink coffee after dinner, seems like it would wake you up more than increase your metabolism so your dinner is processed for sleeping. Eh, what do I know? Anyone have a good reason for nighttime coffee? Better question… anyone know how coffee was invented? It didn’t just suddenly show up in a cup on some office worker’s desk one day. I think I have some research to do while I’m on the plane. Unless we can all agree coffee was just materialized into a cup one day by someone brilliant named Mr. Coffee and leave it at that. If there can be a Mr. Burpee, there can be a Mr. Coffee.

The point today of this post… how does everyone else like their coffee? I’m pretty open-minded when it comes to drinking this beverage of choice. I can’t handle it straight black, just a little too bitter for me. I’ve slowly been able to stop adding a teaspoon of sugar and just include milk or creamer. Beyond that, anything’s fair game. I’m not a coffee snob, but I do appreciate those who are. I find it respectable! Tell me more as I want to try a few new things. When do you drink it? Hot or cold? How many cups? What brands? What roasts? What do you put in it? Grind or no grind? What coffee shops do you love or hate? Do you go for all the fancy stuff or just plain dark coffee? Looking forward to all your responses! Thanks in advance.

131 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 186 – Coffee

September 14, 2017 at 8:43 AM

So I don’t drink coffee anymore, haven’t for almost 13yrs now. I had a serious coffee problem, so I cleared caffeine out of my life completely. My parents never had coffee in the house at all, I’m English remember, tea all the way! I first had coffee when I moved to Greece and that was Greek coffee, lethal stuff! As a result I like my coffee thick and black like tar! I always drank my coffee black and I would always grind my own beans, and if I bought it in Starbucks or the like I bought triple shots because I liked it STRONG! I would also drink upwards of 10-15 cups a day hence the having a serious problem it really messed with me consuming so much caffeine!

September 14, 2017 at 8:49 AM

That is a lot! Wow. I don’t seem to have any real reaction to caffeine, at least not anything I realize. I also have gone a few days without it, not feeling any jitters. I love the flavor. Good share. I’m glad you figured out how to keep it out of your system!

September 14, 2017 at 8:44 AM

No coffee! Blah! 😜 I just can’t drink it! But, Wifey is an expert! The stuff runs in her veins! She almost spilled her coffee when she heard you are drinking Folgers! Her comment, “Send brother Jay some real coffee!” Looks like you will be receiving a package when you return from your trip! Don’t mess with Wifey and her coffee!

September 14, 2017 at 8:49 AM

Oh no! Haha… I drink lots of different kinds, but those two are most often in the house. Would love to try her recommendations. I do occasionally buy beans and make my own! 🙂

September 14, 2017 at 8:52 AM

We have a great little coffee house in town! She loves her Michigan Cherry! I am an expect at purchasing it and I enjoy the smell, just not the taste! I will stick to tea!😉

September 14, 2017 at 8:52 AM

mmm cherry flavored coffee… nice. i do like chocolate and coffee together.

September 14, 2017 at 8:53 AM

Since you lost cookies for at least a year, I will have to send coffee!

September 14, 2017 at 8:54 AM

that never happened. the whole cookie mishap was a dream you had. a nightmare I had. some sort of weird shared brotherly/sisterly connection. Ask Sandy, we talked all about it. She agrees. Says I deserve cookies.

September 14, 2017 at 8:56 AM

Because of this pathetic attempt to be manipulative, no cookies for you – two years!

September 14, 2017 at 8:56 AM

Foot just slammed on the ground. Grumble Grumble Grumble. Cookie Monster is not happy with you.

September 14, 2017 at 8:57 AM

But all that matters is I still like you!💚🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪

September 14, 2017 at 8:58 AM

I’ll take cookie emojis as a substitute thank you.

September 14, 2017 at 8:58 AM

🙄

September 14, 2017 at 8:59 AM

better than spiders

September 14, 2017 at 9:00 AM

Thanks for the reminder…🕷

September 14, 2017 at 9:00 AM

Sandy… help!!!!!!

September 14, 2017 at 9:03 AM

I’ll get you my pretty, and your little dog, too! 😉

Kiersten said:
    September 14, 2017 at 8:50 AM

COFFEEEEEEEEEEEE. Coffee coffee coffee. I’m on my second round at the moment. Can you tell? 🙂

I don’t know what I would do without coffee. I probably drink entirely too much of it. (Perhaps that’s why my height capped out at a whopping 5’2.) I drink it black in the mornings. In the afternoon I often switch to a latte, as I spend most of my lunch breaks at the bookstore/coffees shop and the smell is just too enticing to pass up.

I hope you have fun on your trip!

September 14, 2017 at 8:51 AM

No… couldn’t tell, could you amp it up a little with another cup?

Kiersten said:
        September 14, 2017 at 8:51 AM

Hold on, I’ll give it a shot.

September 14, 2017 at 8:51 AM

Thanks for the well-wishes. Ah… black coffee. I need a tiny bit of milk to tone it down for me. Bookstore coffee is always good. 🙂

September 14, 2017 at 8:53 AM

I’m a coffee drinker. I think I drink at least 3 cups a day, a cup with breakfast, one before work at the office and another in the afternoon☕ in addition not that, I sometimes have a bit fancier coffee at night while reading before going to bed 😀 I cannot handle black coffee, either. I need both milk and sugar. Actually, I need to sweeten my coffee, PRETTY MUCH. Maybe add two tea spoonfuls of sugar in fact😂. Call me a kid, I’ll take it lol. I love hazelnut flavored coffee☕ that is not too sweet like caramel, it’s my favorite💖☕

September 14, 2017 at 8:56 AM

sounds like we drink our coffee in a similar way, except the sugar part. If you’ve not had a hazelnut creamer, you should try it. I actually don’t need the sugar with it! 🙂

September 14, 2017 at 8:58 AM

Really? Another similarity, huh? 😀 Hazelnut creamer sounds fabulous! Gotta see if I can find it here in Japan😊 Thank YOU! ☕✨

September 14, 2017 at 8:59 AM

Coffee Mate. They make Sugar Free or Fat Free. Fat Free tastes better.

September 14, 2017 at 9:00 AM

Wow, thanks!! 😊☕ I’ll go to Amazon now lol

September 15, 2017 at 7:37 AM

good luck!

September 14, 2017 at 9:03 AM

Wow, thanks again! And gosh! Ive found it!! 😀💖 Threw it in my cart lol

September 14, 2017 at 9:04 AM

Excellent!

September 14, 2017 at 9:05 AM

Appreciated!!! 😊✨💕

AK said:
    September 14, 2017 at 8:54 AM

I love coffee and I drink it at night when I want to stay up late after work to write. I usually mix some hot chocolate mix in with my instant coffee and pretend it’s fancy 😄

By Hook Or By Book ~ Book Reviews, News, & Other Stuff said:
    September 14, 2017 at 9:20 AM

I’m a coffee addict! I think the only thing that keeps me down to 2cups a day is that if I drink anymore, it’ll trigger a migraine. I love flavored coffee, but this summer I’ve discovered the sheer bliss of cold brew coffee!☺️

Erynn Loves Books said:
    September 14, 2017 at 9:21 AM

I love both coffee and tea, although I drink tea more often. When I do drink coffee, I only like it black. Unless it’s iced coffee which I like full of cream and sugar to the point where it almost isn’t coffee anymore!

September 14, 2017 at 10:01 AM

Funny how it needs to be different cold from hot. I enjoy iced coffee unless it gets too watery.

Frank Hubeny said:
    September 14, 2017 at 9:34 AM

I prefer those Cuban espressos I can get around Miami. What I drink in the morning at home is black French pressed coffee, an 8 oz mug full. A new trick, for me, is to add a tablespoon of coconut oil (sold at Costco in large containers) to the coffee. It sort of dissolves in the hot coffee like cream and the “ketones”, whatever they are, go right to the brain–or so I’ve heard.

September 14, 2017 at 10:01 AM

I had Cuban once. Was fantastic. Not an everyday thing tho for me. I tried coconut coffee last month. Was great!

susandyer1962 said:
    September 14, 2017 at 9:50 AM

I am a huge coffee drinker! Some days I will drink it all day! Always with French vanilla creamer. I’m only 5’2″ so maybe there is some truth to the height thing! We only drink Folgers in the house and I do love the hot Mocha McCafe’s at McDonald’s…….don’t judge, they are yummy! I do not like Starbucks at all. To me it tastes burnt and over processed.

September 14, 2017 at 10:02 AM

Yay to folgers! Not had the McDonald’s one. I would go to mcdonalds in the city here so it would have to be when I travel. Lol. No judgment!

Books Teacup and Reviews said:
    September 14, 2017 at 9:59 AM

I’m tea lover. But if I have to drink coffee, I prefer iced coffee with ice-cream. I never liked hot one.

September 14, 2017 at 10:02 AM

You might have to help me with the tea post!!! Ice cream in coffee is great. Mocha!

Books Teacup and Reviews said:
        September 14, 2017 at 11:04 AM

Haha! I just know about Indian tea- Ginger, Lemon, Green, Cardamom, and Masala tea. I make my tea with ‘Brooke Bond Red Label Natural Care Tea’. I have tried many brands but this one is my favorite. I add lot of Ginger in my tea and mint leaves too. I like tea spicy, strong and little sweet. I like Green Tea too and I prefer it bitter, no honey.
        Different people like different kind of teas and if two person like same kind of tea their ways of making tea and taste differs, I bet on that. If you will ask everyone, you will find so many different answers.

September 14, 2017 at 3:25 PM

Good input thanks. Am curious to see what everyone says!

melaniemolewriter said:
    September 14, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Living in the English countryside for most of my life I haven’t ever heard of those brands of coffee. But I’m sure they are great. I did have coffee at several diners when I was I Florida though, and have to say that it was nothing like the coffee I knew at all. That is probably what natives of Florida would think if they have the coffee we have here :). Funny that we all have coffee, but it is all so different. I think us English are meant to like tea better, but that seems to depend on where in England you come from or live. What I know for sure is that coffee will always be the start my day 🙂 So whatever you drink, enjoy!

September 14, 2017 at 10:19 AM

I am so jealous of where you live. Apartment trade!!! Lol. Coffee is very particular to drinkers. Definitely noticing that.

Megha said:
    September 14, 2017 at 10:12 AM

I am a tea person. I drink coffee rarely. When I was a child, my parents didn’t allow tea. Father’s doctor, same reason it will affect my growth. My grandmother was the one who gave me my first tea. But she used to ask me not to tell anyone at that time! It was our secret. I am so excited, I will be meeting her in a few days after almost three years 😊

September 14, 2017 at 10:18 AM

We share that sneaked beverage in common with grandparents. Mine are no longer alive but fond memories.

September 14, 2017 at 11:13 AM

Ah, coffee. I drink about 6 cups every morning. Sometimes at night if I am having a dessert like cake. I drink it with a little non-fat or low fat milk, occasionally some French vanilla fat free flavoring or during the holidays, some peppermint mocha flavoring if I can find it. I like medium blend, not strong. I’ve been drinking it since I was young, maybe 10 or 11, or perhaps early teens. My husband worked in a coffee packaging company (a division of Sara Lee Corp) and he would come home smelling so delicious. He also brought home different varieties of coffees. My favorite was cafe mocha. We didn’t have to buy coffee for 18 years. When the plant shut down and I had to buy it in the store the price just about killed me. I never realized how lucky we were. Now my daughter works for Starbucks and she brings us coffee when she visits. I LOVE dunking things like cookies or donuts into it, although at this time that is counterproductive to my weight loss goals 🙂 I do drink tea as well, but I’ll save those comments for your tea post! Happy Thursday, James.

September 14, 2017 at 3:26 PM

Great story. Love shares like this one. I’d have eaten everything. Which would be good! A teapost will probably come in a few weeks when I return.

kerrymckim said:
    September 14, 2017 at 11:13 AM

I love coffee, especially iced coffee in the summer. At Starbucks, I like Iced Americanos. I also love pumpkin spice lattes.

If you are ever in the Miami area, you definitely have to try Cuban coffee.

September 14, 2017 at 11:30 AM

OMG that’s my topic! i love it! ❤️☕️
    coffee is my thing. a couple of years ago i drank coffee all day, even at night, which put my total around 10-15 cups a day! yes! 😳 i had a phase were i just drank it black but now it’s always with milk. no sugar. and hot. it needs to be hot, i hate cold or iced coffee. right now i am at 5 cups a day which is ok i guess. i adore coffee, the taste, the smell. my favorite is coffee from africa or guatemala.
    i like going to cafés but i usually just drink the house blend and nothing fancy, because it’s way cheaper and tastes better in my opinion!
    as you see, i love coffee. and fun fact, i hated it. i really did. i think i only started drinking coffee when i was i my mid twenties. so about 7 to 8 years ago. since then: coffee-junkie forever! ☕️😍

September 14, 2017 at 11:45 AM

You already know I am 100% a tea drinker. Loose leaf tea particularly which I just got a ton in the mail from a certain awesome person in Sri Lanka. The hubs will get coffee if he needs a serious caffeine boost and he usually goes for expresso shots. If I do drink coffee it’s usually a white chocolate mocha from Starbucks. I don’t know if you know, but if you ever need a “green” caffeine mix, you can try matcha tea. It’s supposedly healthier than coffee bean caffeine and provide more energy.

September 14, 2017 at 3:27 PM

I haven’t tried matcha tea yet. Hmm. Did that package arrive?

roseelaineblog said:
    September 14, 2017 at 12:40 PM

I’m a self confessed tea drinker very British you see 😉

Mel Gutiér said:
    September 14, 2017 at 1:04 PM

Awe man!!! That “Grind? No Grind” got me off on a whole other tangent which I won’t disclose.

Starbucks… Cream no sugar, no flavor. 2 to cups a day.

I love this post as I love my coffee. I can smell it.

😉

Mel Gutiér said:
      September 14, 2017 at 1:04 PM

2 to 4 cups*

September 14, 2017 at 3:28 PM

A grind a day! Or the day is a grind. One of those two.

Mel Gutiér said:
        September 14, 2017 at 4:04 PM

Innocence is bliss sweet child.

I’d like a grind a day. 😉

Mel Gutiér said:
        September 14, 2017 at 4:13 PM

Not the coffee…

Mel Gutiér said:
        September 14, 2017 at 4:13 PM

A whole day grind sounds good too. 😉

September 14, 2017 at 5:22 PM

so many uses of the word!

Mel Gutiér said:
        September 14, 2017 at 4:16 PM

Oh and I know the saying is ignorance is bliss but you’re being very sweet and innocent right now.

Been writing a few intense love scenes in the last two days. My mind is having trouble adjusting to normal.

September 14, 2017 at 5:22 PM

Ha! I’m *always* innocent. Back on train into NYC. Was visiting family for the day.

Mel Gutiér said:
        September 14, 2017 at 6:14 PM

😉

Cozynookbks said:
    September 14, 2017 at 1:25 PM

I drink decaf mixed with low-acid coffee, since my acid reflux acts up sometimes when I drink coffee. I like Gevalia and coffee bought from BJ’s, our local wholesale retailer. I drink it with a little sugar, a splash of half & half, and a bit of Nestle Natural Bliss flavored creamer in vanilla, hazelnut or caramel. I like this creamer because it only has four ingredients and not a bunch of artificial stuff. When I open my thermos somewhere people always say “that coffee smells delicious!!”

September 14, 2017 at 3:28 PM

I have had bliss before. I like it too. Natural is better. Oh reflux is not good! Sorry.

Mel Gutiér said:
        September 14, 2017 at 6:17 PM

This reply sounds interesting out of context.

September 14, 2017 at 6:18 PM

totally… especially reading it hours later

Cozynookbks said:
        September 14, 2017 at 11:28 PM

Thank you.
        And I forgot to mention I grind up my coffee beans.

September 15, 2017 at 8:04 AM

I need to get a grinder. I used a food processor last time. Would rather make fresh every week.

Cammie Adams said:
    September 14, 2017 at 1:49 PM

Coffee, for sure. Love it, need it, crave it. Maybe not crave, but I do experience headaches without it. Now that I think about it, that maybe psychosomatic. Normally consumed in the am hours, I can handle half caff as late as five pm, but any later and I’m grumbling about it all night. I love flavored creamers and half of one shelf in the fridge door is reserved for them. My current obsession is a sprinkle of cinnamon in the basket just before I hit the magic brew button. Favorite brand is Hills Bros. Folgers makes me cringe, sorry…

September 14, 2017 at 3:30 PM

That’s ok re Folgers. I totally understand. Trying to switch over! A whole shelf? That’s some serious coffee flavoring. I put cinnamon in too sometimes!

September 14, 2017 at 3:08 PM

Do pumpkin spice lattes count as coffee? How about a frappacino?

Run Wright said:
    September 14, 2017 at 3:25 PM

I chatted about coffee on my blog last week too so it’s good to see you writing about it as well. I am not a big coffee drinker but I have always wondered how people drink black coffee? Then again, for anyone who can drink kombucha, no other taste should be hard to acquire.

September 14, 2017 at 3:31 PM

Your blog must have “seeped” into my “blog” idea this week. 🙂

Run Wright said:
        September 17, 2017 at 8:32 PM

haha. Yes, coffee has a way of “percolating” and permeating through.

tahenryauthoress said:
    September 14, 2017 at 4:32 PM

It all depends on how indulgent I am treating myself. Daily coffee is a columbian bean the hubs likes fresh ground then french pressed. We aren’t snobby about it just that somehow we break a drip coffee maker every few months and the French press is the only one that hasn’t died.
    On the rare occasion I am throwing caution to the wind I drink a dirty chai latte. Ahhh.

September 14, 2017 at 5:22 PM

I’ve never had that kind of latte… interesting. I’ve luckily had a good regular drop coffee pot about 7 years, but I’m in the market for something new soon.

thewisegreek said:
    September 14, 2017 at 5:12 PM

I used to drink coffee and I do miss some aspects of it -like staying awake and the taste of it in some cases. However, it seemed to be hurting my body more than helping it so now I’m officially a tea drinker. I’ve been drinking only smoothies, tea, and water for the past month.

September 14, 2017 at 5:20 PM

Tea is good, too. I drink lots of water. Other than wine or mixed drinks, I only drink coffee, Orange Juice and water… so I think I flood enough to not worry about the effect of coffee. At least no jitters yet!

thewisegreek said:
        September 14, 2017 at 7:38 PM

I think Red Bull is more likely to do that than coffee is. Coffee is probably better than most if not all energy drinks.

September 15, 2017 at 8:05 AM

I’ve never had a Red Bull!

thewisegreek said:
        September 15, 2017 at 10:02 PM

Honestly, for years I thought it was alcohol. They way they designed the can makes it look that way to me.

September 14, 2017 at 5:20 PM

1 month down good to go!

Eileen Sim said:
    September 15, 2017 at 12:41 AM

Some days I drink coffee, and on other days I crave for tea instead. I usually drink an iced cafe latte if I do drink coffee because the milk makes the coffee less bitter for me and I can drink it without adding any sugar. I got a second hand espresso machine at home just so I can drink it more often instead of buying it from coffee shops.

September 15, 2017 at 8:04 AM

Great to e-meet you, and thanks for the follow. We drink our coffee the same way. Good deal on the espresso machines — saves a lot!

declutteringmylifeweb said:
    September 15, 2017 at 12:44 AM

I am nothing without coffee. 3 small cups before lunch and one last after lunch. In the afternoon i dont feel like drinking another one, which is weird. When i gave up smoking 4 years ago i was not able to drink coffee in the morning for a while, but fortunately i have already recovered. 🙂

anne leueen said:
    September 15, 2017 at 4:24 AM

I have read that coffee is good for you in moderation. I”m a tea addict myself but like the occasional coffee. I used to be 5’8 and now I have shrink to 5’7. The culprit is old age! So don’t worry about coffee!

September 15, 2017 at 8:03 AM

yes, we do lose a few inches. I fear I might be starting. Moderation of everything seems to be appropriate, good input!

September 15, 2017 at 9:35 AM

I’m not a big coffee drinker. On the rare occasion that I drink it I add milk and a ton of sugar. And I do mean a ton lol. I can’t stand the taste of coffee so I need a lot of sugar to counteract he taste. I think my mother in law buys folgers but I’m honestly not sure. Sometimes I will go to Starbucks and get a White Chocolate Mocha with extra sweetener or a Vanilla Bean (I can’t for the life of me ever remember what this one is called all I know is that it’s cold).

theGracetyle said:
    September 15, 2017 at 2:09 PM

I’m a latte person 😅 Sometimes, I ask myself if it’s even worth spending $5 for it when I can get a good sandwich or salad for that price. But once my I tried latte, I was never able to go back to simple drip coffee 😭. I spoiled my taste buds.

September 15, 2017 at 2:09 PM

I so agree! If you have one a day, that’s $140 per month. Definitely adds up. But they do taste so good.

theGracetyle said:
        September 15, 2017 at 2:12 PM

Seriously! My mom tells me I have no reason to complain about being a broke college student if only I quit coffee 😂

janieleeds said:
    September 15, 2017 at 4:25 PM

Gotta have my cup first thing in the morning. No milk! It has to be 1/2 1/2 and one sugar. I probably have about 3 cups in the morning which I enjoy. I do like a cappuccino if I’m out to dinner with dessert. Caffeine doesn’t bother me so I won’t lose sleep if I drink coffee after dinner. I have one of those keurigs which I like because I can make a cup whenever I want during the day. I never drank folgers. I was a chock full of nuts coffee drinker when I was married, but now that he’s gone, I got the keurig which I really like!

September 15, 2017 at 4:28 PM

I was tempted to get the keurig! I hadn’t done the math to see if it was more or less expensive yet.

janieleeds said:
        September 15, 2017 at 4:33 PM

I buy the keurig cups at costco – I use their breakfast blend brand which is smooth and not acidy if you know what I mean. But for me, it’s the convenience of making a cup whenever I want instead of making a pot and having to throw it out if I don’t drink it all. I hate leftover microwaved coffee so the keurig was perfect. It does sweet ice tea too and other drinks which I like. Just pop the cup in and hit brew! Easy peasy.

September 15, 2017 at 5:29 PM

makes perfect sense! my mom bought one recently, i should check it out!

janieleeds said:
        September 17, 2017 at 10:05 AM

Good idea! 🙂

September 16, 2017 at 7:28 AM

My mom has to drink Folgers, and black! Costco has a huge container of it for cheap. For me, it has to be organic decaf with some almond cream. Can’t have caffeine or pesticides. 😉 I love tea too, but has to be herbs only and no caffeine.

Cool that you can drink it after dinner in the evening, but I just can’t. Even the few MG of caffeine in it would interrupt my sleep. My mom can have it any time of day. If I even drink more than two cups of decaf, I get this weird sick feeling. Two is my max normally…

Great post, James! Now I have to go make another cup. ❤

September 16, 2017 at 8:30 AM

Hopefully that is only your second cup! I’ve gotten so many recommendations from this post, I can’t wait to try something new.

At least you know your limits and can stop at the 2 mark. Folgers is such a big brand. If I want just basic coffee, it works for me. And I do like the flavor, but I also enjoy flavored and darker roasts too.

September 16, 2017 at 10:23 PM

I used to drink regular folders when I was in my early 20s and caffeine wasn’t an issue. I love the flavor! Hills Bros. was a fave too. Coffee has come a long way since then, lol. ♡

tylerus said:
    September 16, 2017 at 12:52 PM

4 a.m. = coffee cup #1 w/skim milk 7 a.m. = coffee cup #2 w/skim milk Love (!) the smell of coffee first thing in the morning. Perks me up, makes me feel like anything is possible. After 10 a.m., oddly enough, the smell repulses me and I can’t take one little sip. Guess we all have our little quirks. Cheers!

September 16, 2017 at 1:03 PM

I haven’t been able to use skim milk. One percent works. I wonder why the smell changes for you. How interesting.

mainepaperpusher said:
    September 17, 2017 at 1:37 AM

As I was typing this it sounded like a post. Don’t be surprised if you see parts of it on my blog in the future. 😉

Origin ideally would be Sumatra. Brand would be ideally Starbucks, but any Sumatra in a pinch.
    Hot, iced, or homemade cold brew are all wonderful.
    ALWAYS black.
    ALWAYS ground on the spot in a burr grinder to the appropriate grand for whichever brewing method is used.
    ALWAYS use a burr grinder. Others just don’t compare.
    Brewing water should not be chlorinated. Either well water or bottled water are acceptable
    Brewing process for me is usually the pour over method using a porcelain filter holder.
    If I’m feeling particularly artsy, I’ll break out the Chemex. http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/

Yes, I’m a coffee snob. I’m the one in Starbucks who is visibly shaken when asked if I want my coffee ground. An incredulous “What? NO!!!” is my usual response. The baristas smile approvingly. They are my people.

Susan said:
    September 18, 2017 at 9:00 AM

Vanilla coconut milk usually, sometimes over ice, yummm!

Darque Dreamer Reads said:
    September 18, 2017 at 2:56 PM

Where are you headed in NC? I like my coffee with some sort of sugar free creamer and a little stevia to sweeten it. Mainly pumpkin spice or vanilla.

September 18, 2017 at 2:57 PM

Everywhere. Charlotte. Wilmington. Winston Salem. Raleigh. Durham. Asheville.

Darque Dreamer Reads said:
        September 18, 2017 at 5:02 PM

Oh Asheville!! I hope you post pictures! I miss Asheville! We moved from the Western Carolina area to AZ. I hope you have a fun, safe trip!!

September 19, 2017 at 6:12 PM

Definitely will. I think we’re also going to Dollywood one day too. Lots of pics to come!

Darque Dreamer Reads said:
        September 19, 2017 at 6:49 PM

Can’t wait to see pictures!! Have you mapped your route out to Dollywood yet? Driving through the Great Smoky Mountains is a must!

September 19, 2017 at 6:57 PM

We haven’t yet. Probably tomorrow. We are coming from Chapel Hill and want to get there by 12 noon on Friday, so thinking we’ll be up quite early!

Darque Dreamer Reads said:
        September 19, 2017 at 7:04 PM

It will be a long drive! The quicker way from there would be to take 40, but if you don’t mind an extra hour, drive on to Cherokee. Take the Cherokee exit and there should be signs for the Great Smoky Mountains Park. https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

P.S If you go that way and pass an RV park on the left a few miles before the Cherokee exit, we used to live up that road, lol.

September 20, 2017 at 8:06 AM

Thx. Might be able on the way back to go this way. I’ll stop by and say hi to your former abode area!!!!

Darque Dreamer Reads said:
        September 20, 2017 at 2:08 PM

Hehe. I do hope you get to drive through the scenic route. Should be beautiful still!