365 Challenge: Day 189 – TV Shows Watched (Top 10)

TV Shows: the ‘Top 10’ favorite TV show Jay currently watches

shows.jpg

Sunday posts, the end of each week, have become a theme on This-Is-My-Truth-Now, organized by groups of five (5) focused on interesting things about my life. I’m continuing the trend of the seventh day, ending the week on Sunday, as a list (we know I love them) that provides more in depth knowledge about me.

• Weeks 1 – 5: My Ethnicity
  • Weeks 6 – 10: A to Z Favorites
  • Weeks 11 – 15: Meaningful Colors
  • Weeks 16 – 20: Cities I’ve lived
  • Weeks 21 – 25: Jobs I’ve held

The next set of 5 Sundays covers the ‘Top 10’ of entertainment options that I spend my time thinking about or doing: Authors/Books I Read (Week 26), TV Shows Watched (Week 27), Countries to Visit (Week 28), Foods to Cook (Week 29), and Places to Spend Time (Week 30). It’s a bit of an unwieldy set of similar items, but these are five leisure activities where I spend a majority of my time, which clearly speak volumes about who I am and how I like to keep myself occupied.

tv show

Next up this week are the TV shows I find myself always recording and watching. It wasn’t too difficult to pick these shows, as I have slowly started to drop a lot from my regular queue given my focus on writing and reading. The ten in this list, in no particular order, are the ones I absolutely adore and will always watch new episodes. There are also a few older shows that I always watch, but they aren’t on the air anymore, e.g. Frasier or I Love Lucy. All in all, this will definitely tell you a lot about who I am!

• Younger
    • About a 40 year old woman in NYC who gets divorced and pretends she’s 28 to get a job in publishing. While I’m not a woman or divorced, this feels a bit like my life. I turned 40 this year and constantly tell everyone I’m 30 (most of the time they believe it, too!). I quit my job to work as a writer and have been thrown into a whole new world.
    • Josh is adorable (can’t deal with the tattoos — I melt!). Maggie is hilarious. Liza does exactly what I’d do most of the time. I swear they based this show on parts of my life. Season 4 just ended but I can’t wait for the new one next year.
  • Great British Baking Show
    • A cooking show based in Great Britain where 12 contestants have a bake off over ten weeks, cooking delicious desserts and breads based on a variety of challenges.
    • It’s civilized. It’s in the Cotswolds. I could eat everything they make. And it’s always so beautiful. I would like to be a contestant but I’m not from that country. They made an American version, but I’m not interested in it. Mary Berry and the two hosts from Seasons 1 thru 6 made the show. But they all left and I may stop watching. I’ve only seen the first 3, but plan to buy the rest later this year.
  • How To Get Away With Murder
    • A show about students in law school that teaches me how to murder someone? I love it. The acting is superb. The story lines are just insane. But it’s always packed with drama and suspense. Seasons 1 and 2 were the best, and I’m getting a little worried about what’s happening in the last few, but I will still watch. {Scandal used to be in the top 10, but last season made me annoyed, hence it’s #11 of about 15 that I watch now.}
    • My favorite character is of course the primary one that Viola Davis plays. I am scared of that woman. I hope the final season (whenever that is) focuses on who kills her. So many would want to, it would be amazing drama. Yes… I like shows about murder but only because I can enjoy it from a distance! 😛
  • Schitt’s Creek
    • A quirky show about a family who lost all their money and move to a town they bought years ago on a whim. The actors are all ‘out there’ with the characters they play, but the humor is top notch. They all have the same facial expressions and you would swear they are related. Well, actually, the father and son (Eugene and Daniel Levy) are father and son in real life.
    • This one might be my favorite, but I won’t commit. The whole list of shenanigans will have you in tears from laughing so much. The stupidity of the things each family member actually thinks will have you exploding!
  • Who Do You Think You Are
    • A show that helps celebrities trace their genealogy. I love ancestry research and have traced my own relatives back to the 1700s in Germany, England, Ireland and Scotland. Two branches have been in the USA since at least 1750 from what I can tell.
    • I learn new techniques from watching the show and I get to know a few of my favorite stars. Always amazing to learn who has connections to what part of history. Some day I’ll find a branch of my own family there!
  • Modern Family
    • A family full of reality — as you know while watching this, it’s exactly what happens in each of our own families. They capture the weird moments, the loving memories and the hilarity that we all go thru with parents, children, siblings and in-laws.
    • This one has been on the air the longest, and might be starting to go down hill, but for the most part, it still has a good deal of humor. I love the concept of family drama, that’s what I write about in my own novels, so this is perfect storytelling in my opinion.
  • Grace and Frankie
    • About 2 couples in their 70s. The two men leave their wives and marry one another. The two women live together as best friends. They learn how to deal with each other and a bunch of hilarity ensues. I’m not beginning to properly do it justice, but you must give it a chance.
    • I struggle to believe the characters in the two male roles, but the women are amazing! If I name everyone, this post will go on for too long, so just look it up! I did write a post all about this show a few months ago.
  • Mom
    • A comedy about mothers and daughters, alcoholics and a bunch of family dynamics. The best lines come from this show, and the looks between all the actresses are amazing. Sometimes it’s sad, too. Makes you almost cry.
    • It actually takes a difficult topic, and while it teaches you about the impacts of drinking too much, it also helps you learn how to recover. I love how the show isn’t always about just making you laugh. It pushes you to really think about a situation. I did a separate post on this show months ago.
  • American Horror Story
    • No one quite knows what it is about, but each year is a completely different set of characters and stories. They are all connected somehow, but I won’t share any of the theories at this point. It focuses on every possible topic, always includes science-fiction and fantasy, as well as completely weird plots you can’t even begin to understand.
    • We’re on the 7th season at this point with a focus on the impacts of hysteria over the 2016 election results, entitled ‘Cult.’ But it’s also about killer clowns. So I’m not quite sure where it’s going yet. Murder House will always be my favorite.
  • Kimmy Schmidt
    • A show about a girl who was trapped in an underground bunker for 15 years by a cult leader. She moves to NY and has to learn about everything she missed. Every character is over-the-top and unbelievable, but you constantly laugh or shake your head, thinking “it’s funny but I don’t quite get it!”
    • This one has so many different weird story lines, you can’t help but find yourself curious how far the show will go sometimes. And you don’t really need to watch them in order, as it’s often an individual episode with a few connections to prior ones.

A few interesting things pop out at me when I look at this list: (1) With the exception of the two ‘reality-like’ shows, the other 8 all have a main character who is gay. And even in the reality shows, there’s always guests or contestants who are, 2) They all have some sort of extreme component to them, e.g. murder, based on a weird character, and (3) They are primarily dominated by women. If I had to step away from my life, those are actually three things very apropos about my own life, so it makes total sense why I love these shows. It’s a bit amusing when you make this type of list and discover the common threads, huh?

tv showss.jpg

What are your favorite TV shows? Which ones can’t you miss?

25 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 189 – TV Shows Watched (Top 10)

September 17, 2017 at 6:51 AM

Yeah, all your shows really do have strong female characters. That’s what makes you so smart. You’ve figured out that women are superior…….

Books Teacup and Reviews said:
    September 17, 2017 at 7:20 AM

I don’t watch TV shows but these all sounds interesting. 🙂

September 17, 2017 at 9:43 AM

Great British Baking Show is my favorite here and I’ll be watching it on PBS today which is always a highlight of my Sundays. I just finished Ozarks on Netflix. My only word for it is *Insane*.

Great post, James! ❤

September 17, 2017 at 10:09 AM

I can’t remember the last time I turned on the tv! 😜 I think I would enjoy the British baking show!

AJ said:
    September 17, 2017 at 10:27 AM

Thanks for the list! I haven’t seen any of them, but I’ll be sure to check them out:) I had never thought of looking at what I watch to discover insights about myself- very interesting! I might have to make my students do this:)

September 17, 2017 at 10:55 AM

I watch way too many to ever list but we just finished Insecure and I’m currently watching Wynonna Earp season 2. Love Shondaland; all of it. September 28th! Only show I have to watch at the time it airs is Game of Thrones.

September 17, 2017 at 12:01 PM

Grace and Frankie, hilarious! Wish they had more episodes. Modern Family is okay too. Although I don’t watch TV on a regular basis I have caught some of that one. The rest I have never heard of. I spend most of my TV time watching the baseball game. I did enjoy the mini series that was just on called The Sinner with Jessica Biel and I LOVE Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch. Have a great week, Jay.

bookaddictedreader said:
    September 17, 2017 at 12:02 PM

Wow, this is a great list! And as someone from the UK I absolutely love Great British Bake Off 🙂

Lana (Sleepless in wherever) said:
    September 17, 2017 at 12:11 PM

Great picks. And I just love Younger, totally agree about Josh – he’s adorable and yummy. And those tats 😍

tahenryauthoress said:
    September 17, 2017 at 12:27 PM

I don’t watch any live tv, all netflix or internet but …. I wait every summer for the release of certain shows all of which let me down this year. Some I couldn’t even get through the season.
    With that said I’ll watch just about any baking or Home Reno show. My kiddo is as obsessed as I am with these and that’s what we watch together. LOL

janieleeds said:
    September 17, 2017 at 12:53 PM

Wow what a list! I’m going to have to check them out. I like to watch movies more than tv shows. I do watch Outlander every week, but that’s the only one I look out for with any regularity.

Atwood Cutting said:
    September 17, 2017 at 1:29 PM

Good morning. I’ve been told to start watching Outlander from season one, so it’s on my radar, but we are so technologically challenged that we haven’t figured out how to access the series, yet. Mostly I write and create photo artbooks by day, and just watch the TV shows that my husband (a cop show junkie) has recorded that day. Presently we are watching reruns of Perry Mason (I’m getting pretty good at guessing who done it) and my current favorite: Mad Men. Back when it first ran, I remember being turned off by the exaggerated drinking, smoking, and double-standard chauvinism that was being flaunted in the series. But now, (much more liberated and greatly desensitized) I find it extremely quirky and quite entertaining. It’s interesting to envision the Madison Avenue advertising business back in the early 60s. Not sure how accurate the representation is, but I can see the glass ceiling. A lot changed in that decade, especially for people of color, and again in the 80s, for women…
    I also like Project Runway, Highway through Hell, My Cat from Hell, Tiny House Big Living, and Island Hunters. (It’s okay to dream, right?) Will be watching recorded series called The Planets which is as close as I’ll ever get to “what’s out there?”
    That’s enough about me for now. Have a nice day.

September 18, 2017 at 7:21 PM

Will respond when I return from vacation. Not ignoring you!!! 🙂

321 Girl In Motion said:
    September 17, 2017 at 2:45 PM

The Great British Bake of is such a great guilty pleasure

September 17, 2017 at 3:57 PM

I have never watched any of the shows you mentioned James but I have thought about watching a few of them. I never watch live tv any more I just watch the shows that are available through Netflix. Some of my favorites are NCIS, Bones, Supernatural, and Grey Anatomy just to name a few.

September 17, 2017 at 5:13 PM

Yay! Some of those shows we don’t get over here but…Younger is awesome, we’ve been waiting for season three forever though!
    Grace and Frankie is one of my favourite shows.
    American Horror Story who doesn’t like it?
    Kimmy Schmidt is genius!
    I also really like Vikings, Game of Thrones, Outlander, Black Sails.
    The programmes I watch tend to have big burly men in and stay on a fantasy theme. Hubs has given up covering my eyes to stop me drooling now! 😂

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    September 17, 2017 at 5:23 PM

Awesome list- I binge watched How to get away with murder years ago and loved it!! It was so addictive!! Who Do You Think You Are has to be one of my favourite things on tv, even though I rarely watch it (cos it’s rarely on anymore) I’ve seen so many awesome stories over the years and it doesn’t hurt that I’m fascinated with things like ancestry and history, so it usually gets me hooked pretty quickly. Oh my gosh I love your description of American Horror Story- I have actually wanted to watch that for years and now I want to watch it even more!!

theorangutanlibrarian said:
      September 17, 2017 at 5:24 PM

Also in terms of my favourite shows it’s Game of Thrones (pretty obviously) and Poldark (which I recommend to *everyone*)

Run Wright said:
    September 17, 2017 at 5:32 PM

I don’t watch a lot of TV these days but I really enjoyed the first season Kimmy Scmidth. I saw the actor who plays Titus Andromedon in a store recently. Perks of living in NYC.

theGracetyle said:
    September 17, 2017 at 7:09 PM

Modern Family!!! 🙌🏻 But I also love watching talk shows (favorite show host is Jimmy Kimmel). Hoping he’s gonna do another “I ate all your Halloween candies” prank on the kids this year hahaha.

anne leueen said:
    September 18, 2017 at 12:06 PM

I also love the British Baking! What about “The Crown” (Netflix). Have you seen that?

tvbatch said:
    September 19, 2017 at 4:49 PM

Love it! Great post. I talk about TV Shows on my blog too if you wanna check it out! I just made a post about HBO’s John Adams! https://tvbatch.wordpress.com/2017/09/19/impulse-watch-john-adams

September 19, 2017 at 6:17 PM

will do when I return from vacation… thanks for the heads up!