365 Challenge: Day 191 – Relaxed

Relaxed: at ease while on day number two of the trip to North Carolina

relax

Today’s 365 Daily Challenge word is relaxed. After an eventful issue being delayed yesterday at LGA, we arrived later than expected into Charlotte and had less time than planned to explore on the first leg. It was still a fun half day, and we’ll be back there again for two days at the end of the trip. We had a delicious breakfast at the hotel this morning, met several other nice folks, and drove four relaxing hours to Wilmington. Along the path, I found some similarities to my recent trip to Louisiana, in that there were churches every mile on the main roads. On this one though, it wasn’t just Baptist; there were every denomination. Growing up in NY, we really only had one Catholic church in each major town, so this is definitely something new for me to experience when it comes to other parts of the country. The other fascinating part of our drive today was the ultimate relaxed situation — death… there were multiple cemeteries in every town along the drive. I stopped counting after 20 in the first hour, but I did ask W if we could consider buying or building a home near a graveyard. Perhaps it was because he drove the whole way today (his choice, not mine), but the answer was a resounding NO. I thought Ryder might like to sit outside our house and watch the ghosts. Oh well…

IMG_2237

Court Building in Wilmington

IMG_2236

View over to the areas with the beaches

IMG_2234

View at the dock in the downtown area

We had a late lunch and cocktails in the downtown area, walked around a bit and did some shopping. Bought a new candle and body soap made with bourbon; now I can drink in the shower and not feel weird! All in all, the town is not exactly what I thought it would be. Less ‘seaside’ and more ‘downtown’ than other areas close to the water. But we have tomorrow to explore too, so I’m hopeful to see more of it.

I hope you don’t mind these short posts, as I am trying to stay in vacation mode. I am reading everyone’s comments but not able to respond right now, as I’m either navigating the drive or trying not to trip and fall while walking around each city. I will respond when get back to New York. Thanks for all the well-wishes… looking forward to catching up. For now, I’m relaxed — the exact goal of this trip… at least the first ten days. The wedding at the end will be more for fun. Can’t wait for Orlando!

31 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 191 – Relaxed

September 19, 2017 at 6:02 AM

Thanks for another great update! Love the pictures and I’m glad you’re having a relaxing time🤗✨ keep it that way, you deserve it! 😉

Robin @The Robin's Nest said:
    September 19, 2017 at 6:17 AM

Churches of all denominations on every street corner, I guess is a southern “thang”. I don’t like living near cemeteries either! (My daughter lives beside one-eek) Glad you are enjoying your traveling vacation.

September 19, 2017 at 6:15 PM

Going very well, thanks. Yes, it must be a southern thing. Fine by me, just wonder how many people actually go if they are so close together….

Robin @The Robin's Nest said:
        September 19, 2017 at 7:04 PM

It’s usually a small congregation made up of some people who either disliked the pastor or became angry with the deacon or elder of the church and decided to take their goodness somewhere else – even start their own church!! This is a true statement – I know it to be a fact – my father was a pastor.

September 20, 2017 at 8:05 AM

You definitely know. I can understand the splits on one level. But on another it must be so much harder to maintain history and followers. Thanks for the heads up!

Robin @The Robin's Nest said:
        September 20, 2017 at 8:34 AM

Such a true and profound statement.

MoJo said:
    September 19, 2017 at 6:43 AM

Isn’t it interesting to see the Bible Belt kick into gear right before your eyes? We have gone on road trips before and noticed that there will be a stretch of several miles where the road signs start to get pretty heavy on all things redemption. There’s one area in particular that left me needing some good bourbon soap as well. It had multiple signs that said something to the effect of, “Convert and be saved or burn in hell fire.” There was even an 800 number you could call. To this day I’m bummed that I never called. I didn’t desire any faith tips, but I’m confident that it would have been the conversation of legends. 😉 Also I adore the grandeur of the old southern graveyards and would have gladly parked with Ryder in spooky anticipation. Have the best time JC4, and keep posting if you can! ❤️

September 19, 2017 at 6:15 PM

I would have loved to listen in on that conversation!!! Sorry you didn’t do it, but maybe next time???? 🙂

MoJo said:
        September 19, 2017 at 6:16 PM

Yes right after you post the one piece jumper suit pic!! 😂😂😂

September 19, 2017 at 6:17 PM

touche! got me there.

MoJo said:
        September 19, 2017 at 6:46 PM

😂

September 19, 2017 at 6:46 AM

it’s the best thing you can do! provide us with pictures were we get jealous and you get to relax hahaha 😀

September 19, 2017 at 6:15 PM

Sorry, don’t want to make anyone jealous. Maybe I’m helping others choose where to go next?

September 19, 2017 at 7:13 AM

Wishing you another fun day today!

September 19, 2017 at 8:31 AM

First off….looks and sounds amazing!! And if this is short, what do you call my posts? Blurbs? Enjoy your vacation!! Relax. Drink in the shower!!

foodzesty said:
    September 19, 2017 at 11:04 AM

It’s a good thing he said No about building or buying a house near a cemetery…Don’t think Ryder would enjoy that….Such a great post thank you for making me laugh and truly enjoyed your photos. 🙂

September 19, 2017 at 6:16 PM

Ryder would love it! He likes to dig up things. I suppose that wouldn’t work out too well for me tho. Hmm… you might have you just talked me out of it. Thank you!!!

September 19, 2017 at 11:18 AM

Looks like you are having a great time. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

September 19, 2017 at 3:47 PM

Living near a cemetery would be so cool! Keep relaxing! 😎

Awesome Blogger Award #2 – mistysbookspace said:
    September 19, 2017 at 5:12 PM

[…] James […]

janieleeds said:
    September 20, 2017 at 7:34 PM

Keep enjoying the vacation! Bourbon in the shower in soap! What will they think of next?

Liebster Award – meltingpotsandothercalamities said: