365 Challenge: Day 193 – Touring

Touring: wandering around checking out all the important stuff

tour

Today started off with a quick drive through Chapel Hill and then we took off for Duke University in Durham. We wandered the campus and saw a bunch of beautiful old buildings and chapels. It was over 90 degrees in the sun, so I kept looking for shady areas. I also felt guilty because students were in classes and I got to spend the morning touring. After, we went to the gardens and had a golf cart drive us around for part of the way before we walked the rest on our own. So many great trees and flowers. Best part of the day!

We had lunch in the downtown area and shopped in old village stores. We later drove to Raleigh and checked out neighborhoods. A few cool ones and a few run down ones. Toured the state capitol building which was awesome. I think Charlotte is still the nicest of all the cities, but we have more to see tonight in Cary and downtown Raleigh. Off to meet a friend’s sister for dinner. A home cooked meal! No touring tonight but back at it tomorrow with Greensboro and Winston Salem. See ya soon. Enjoy the pics.

IMG_2287

New hotel room in Chapel Hill at the Siena

IMG_2288

Final picture at Chapel Hill as we toured around

IMG_2291

Walkway into Duke Gardens

IMG_2293

Entrance Fountain at Duke

IMG_2294

One of the sitting areas in the garden

IMG_2297

IMG_2325

More statues

IMG_2326

Final set of statues

41 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 193 – Touring

September 21, 2017 at 3:48 AM

wow, that looks so pretty 🙂

theloyalbritwit said:
    September 21, 2017 at 6:31 AM

What beautiful pictures! I hope you’re all having loads of fun! 😁 Also, I think the shortness fits the themes and vibes of your vacation; I’m just impressed you’re still producing strong, good quality material while on vacation. Not that you don’t anyways; what I mean is you continue to surprise me, Jay. Have fun!!!!

September 21, 2017 at 7:31 AM

That pond…those lilies!!!💚

September 21, 2017 at 9:25 AM

Such stunning photos! The pathway while walking picture is my favorite. Just look at the garden. Plus, the chapel. Thanks so much for sharing these, James. Enjoy! ❤

Stephanie said:
    September 21, 2017 at 9:31 AM

I knew you would love Duke and their Gardens! They are so gorgeous! So sorry it’s this hot for your trip! It was a little cooler last week, mid80s, but it will stay this hot for a few more weeks! NC weather is crazy at times 😉 We’ve had 80 degree days on Christmas, lol! I hope you enjoyed your visit to Cary! It and Morrisville are the nicest areas in the triangle, and I’m not saying that just because I live there😄😁, but it’s been voted that nationally. People keep moving here because Cary keeps getting so many awards. The Preston area in Cary is the the nicest area if you got a chance to tour it…a lot of the houses are worth a picture because they are huge and just wow! We’re technically in Preston, but our house is not one of those that’s worth photographing lol! I hope you enjoy the today! I don’t know anything about Winston Salem, which is funny! I’ve only driven through it! Greenville is pretty, and the East Carolina University campus is nice, but nothing compares to Duke! I took a few grad courses there that weren’t offered at UNC that I really wanted to take one summer. Much more laid back of a school, lol. Enjoy the rest of your day touring!!! 😊

Stephanie said:
      September 21, 2017 at 9:34 AM

Apparently I don’t know the difference between Greensboro and Greenville and I live here, lol! Only driven through Greensboro too! So looking forward to your pictures-maybe they will inspire a visit! Maybe I need to learn to read 😂

September 21, 2017 at 9:37 AM

Blame it on autocorrect. Then you don’t have to worry! Thanks for the tips. Really appreciative. Cary was great. Loved comparing real estate prices with NY and thinking…. double the size house and half the price. Moving seems like an easy decision lol

Stephanie said:
        September 21, 2017 at 9:51 AM

Fantastic idea! They are almost spelled the same!! You’re welcome! We love Cary! We lived in Raleigh for 3 yrs after living in Cary for over 12 hrs and had to move back. Yes!! My father-in-law from San Diego did the same thing with real estate when he visited in the spring! He’s an architect and was shocked at the prices of the houses in our neighborhood since he said many of them would be 3 or 4 million or more in San Diego. I was shocked , lol. But a lot of the bigger ones are listed around 800,000 and overlook the golf course, and those are the ones he mainly meant. I’m glad I didn’t try to buy a house in San Diego…or NYC!! Moving here is great decision! 😄 People from NYC do it all the time!

September 21, 2017 at 10:00 AM

I need that hotel room to be my room, haha. It’s so stylish! Stay hydrated James!

September 21, 2017 at 10:04 AM

Its just Soooo gorgeous! I need to go there! I have never been to these places that you are seeing and they are going onto the bucket list, May make daughter visit colleges there even though I know she doesn’t want to go there!!!! Looks like an amazing trip !!!

AJ said:
    September 21, 2017 at 10:19 AM

It all looks so gorgeous! Now I want to go there:)

Firelands said:
    September 21, 2017 at 10:28 AM

Thanks for the photos. I lived in Raleigh for two years and loved the area. Thanks for rekindling fond memories.

September 21, 2017 at 10:28 AM

Oh, how nice to hear. You are welcome. Thanks for commenting.

tahenryauthoress said:
    September 21, 2017 at 10:42 AM

I have to ask, are you looking at colleges to find one you want to attend or because they interest you otherwise?

janieleeds said:
    September 21, 2017 at 12:03 PM

Gorgeous! Looks like you’re having a lovely time! Did you have my drinks yet today?

Patty said:
    September 21, 2017 at 1:24 PM

Great pictures James. While you are in Greensboro check out some of these parks Tanger Family Bicentennial Garden, Country Park 3905 Nathanael Greene Dr., Gateway Gardens and the Center City park downton Greensboro. The first two listed are my favorites. If you like antiques there is a market at 6428 Burnt Poplar Rd.
    In Winstom Salem check out the Old Salem Mueseums and Gardens and also stop in at Black Mountain Chocolate. Yum!
    Near Winstom Salem is Westbend Winery and Brewery Lewisville NC, and Childress Vineyards Lexington NC that are really nice.
    I hope you guys are having a blast! 🙂

September 21, 2017 at 1:27 PM

In Greensboro now! Will check a few out. Thank you.

Patty said:
        September 21, 2017 at 1:30 PM

Have fun. There is lots to do if you know where to look. especially in college town. Lots of local watering holes & art. 😉

September 21, 2017 at 1:31 PM

Downtown shopping area is cool!

Patty said:
        September 21, 2017 at 2:59 PM

Yes it is. I really liked it when I lived there. 🙂

September 21, 2017 at 6:10 PM

Great pictures. Thank you for sharing this James I hope you are enjoying your vacation.

Aislynn d'Merricksson said:
    September 21, 2017 at 6:36 PM

Love the pics! Especially the lilypads.

tylerus said:
    September 22, 2017 at 7:26 AM

Stunning pics. Breathtaking actually. Lucky you. 🙂

September 22, 2017 at 8:22 PM

Now I feel like I’ve been there. TY!

September 23, 2017 at 8:59 PM

I love these pictures, and no feeling guilty about the students studying that’s what they are there for!