365 Challenge: Day 194 – Forgetful

Forgetful: when Jay doesn’t remember to take pictures along the way on a day in a trip

forg

Every so often, my brain doesn’t work as well as I’d like it to work. When that happens, I call myself forgetful. It’s not anything to be worried about… I am usually not a camera person. Unfortunately, it happened today on a few occasions. I either left my phone in the car or forgot to take pictures. But there were also very few things to take pictures of as we did a lot of driving and looking at real estate in residential areas, which doesn’t work well when trying to photograph things to share with everyone. So… today’s 365 Daily Challenge word is forgetful and I apologize for no fun pictures. More to come tomorrow though; I promise.

Today we drove to Hillsborough, Greensboro, Winston-Salem and a few other smaller towns in between. It was a solid five hours in the car between all the stops and total round-trip distance of the trip. Hillsborough was a great town with a beautiful downtown area. We walked around the residential areas, stopped in the historic Welcome Center and strolled tree-lined streets, popping in and out of small stores. It was also a big site for the Revolutionary War. You should definitely look up and visit this town if you’re ever in North Carolina.

The other highlight was Old Salem in Winston-Salem, where I learned it was founded by Moravians, which is a tad ironic given I went to Moravian College. They had an entire village setup with early 1800s tools and spaces. It was a pretty cool street to stroll, given the architecture of the buildings and homes. All-in-all, a great day. I was forgetful, but I at least wrote down all the places I went to. Many thanks to everyone for their suggestions, with special thanks to Stephanie and Patty for all the details on places to eat and visit. We hit a few of them, but that’s when I didn’t have my phone with me. W had his phone, but it’ll take forever to upload/transfer right now, so I’ll do that in a future post.

Tomorrow we leave for… a small surprise… as we had one night open in our trip depending on where we were having the most fun. As we looked at places to go, something else popped up unexpectedly and we booked it! We will be getting up quite early tomorrow (probably while this is being posted) to make a four-hour trek somewhere a bit further away before we head to Asheville and the Biltmore Estate on Saturday. Stay tuned for tomorrow’s exciting adventures when we cross the border into Tennessee singing ‘9 to 5’ throughout the Great Smoky Mountains and arrive for 24-hours in Dollywood! Now that’s something not to be forgetful when it comes to pictures…

27 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 194 – Forgetful

Kiersten said:
    September 22, 2017 at 6:32 AM

I’ve lived in North Carolina for 11 years now and you’ve visited more places than I have. 😂

September 22, 2017 at 6:34 AM

Oh! We loved Dollywood! We went about 6 years ago! Two words…..fried chicken. Waiting for more details!!! And can’t wait to heat about the rest of the trip!!

September 22, 2017 at 7:10 AM

I used to love going to Dollywood when I was a kid. We would go every year as a family. I went back for the first time in over ten years in June with my mom and sisters but I want be going back. It’s not a bad place but for me with all the rule changes and everything I wasn’t allowed to ride very many rides at all and the ones I was able to ride were kiddie rides. For those who don’t have restrictions though y’all will have an amazing time. Eat a funnel cake for me!!

kdefranc said:
    September 22, 2017 at 8:13 AM

Sounds like you are having a great time! Thanks for such a fun blog, brightens up my morning! Wishing you a delightful day..

Stephanie said:
    September 22, 2017 at 8:59 AM

It sounds like we need to visit the Winston Salem area, lol! Sad that living her almost 22 yrs that I haven’t. All the other places you’ve visited I’ve been, so I don’t feel so bad about not seeing places in my own state 😉 I hope you enjoy Dollywood! I grew up going every summer, so that’s great memories! Are you going to Gatlinburg while you are in Pigeon Forge? It’s a gorgeous area and shops although it had a devastating fire last year, arson, and they are still rebuilding as far as I know. If you drive through the Bristol area of TN to get there, then wave hi! That’s were I was born 😊 Thank you for the shout out. I hope you were able to visit some of the places I mentioned. I REALLY hope you are able to eat at one of the restaurants I suggested in Asheville 😊❤ I wish I were coming with you! I love Asheville and Biltmore even though I’ve been a hundred times, lol. Looking forward to more pictures when you get them 😉😊

kerrymckim said:
    September 22, 2017 at 9:07 AM

Your trip sounds amazing. I am jealous you are going to Dollywood. I love when I see people taking advantage of all the adventures life gives us.

Patrick Dykie said:
    September 22, 2017 at 10:21 AM

Great, to hear about your trip. Just to let you know – forgetful is my middle name. Was the Moravian College you attended in Pennsylvania? It’s only 25 miles from my house. I attended Lebanon Valley College, and we were once in the same sports divisions as Moravian.

AJ said:
    September 22, 2017 at 11:48 AM

Even with no pictures, it sounds like it was a lovely day:)

janieleeds said:
    September 22, 2017 at 12:06 PM

Can’t wait to hear about Dollywood Jay! Take photos!

RobbyeFaye said:
    September 22, 2017 at 1:18 PM

Sounds like a great trip so far! I’m just a tad jealous!

September 22, 2017 at 8:18 PM

Who needs pictures when we”ve got your beautiful word descriptions!

September 23, 2017 at 8:52 PM

I think you have done astoundingly well with taking photos! I’m awful for taking photos when I go away and the ones I do get tend to be comedy shots! 😂 Really enjoying seeing where your vacation is taking you.

Darque Dreamer Reads said:
    September 24, 2017 at 6:15 PM

I miss Biltmore!! Have fun! It is so beautiful!

September 24, 2017 at 6:21 PM

Drove the long way thru the smokies. Was great!

Darque Dreamer Reads said:
        September 24, 2017 at 6:48 PM

I am so glad you got to see that!! I hope you stopped at some of the lookout points for pictures. Are the trees changing colors yet?

September 24, 2017 at 6:59 PM

Not really. A few slight yellowish colors but probably two weeks away.

Darque Dreamer Reads said:
        September 24, 2017 at 7:22 PM

Still hot here in AZ, lol. Lots of desert. I hope you enjoyed the drive! 🙂

Kristin said:
    September 30, 2017 at 11:16 PM

I’m in Winston often. My girl’s geneticist and specialist team is there. I really wish I had known you’d be in the area!

September 30, 2017 at 11:22 PM

I wasn’t clear on the whole plan just North Carolina and then different places. Sorry!

Kristin said:
        September 30, 2017 at 11:24 PM

Next time 🙂 The girls came down sick anyway so I wouldn’t have wanted to risk making anyone sick. 4/6 kids came down with strep around a week ago.

September 30, 2017 at 11:49 PM

ugh, so sorry… hope recovery is almost thru for them.