365 Challenge: Day 198 – Bilt

Bilt: shortened name of the Dutch family who founded Biltmore, where I toured this week and took pictures of a great man’s estate (different Vanderbilt in the picture)

bilt

Cornelius Vanderbilt was a man who developed great wealth for his family during the mid 19th century. Their name was originally Dutch, and part of it was dropped when they immigrated to the USA in the 1600s. “Van” in Dutch means “from” and “Bilt” was the town in Europe where they lived. Thus was born the name Van-Der-Bilt (Coming From Bilt). His grandson, George Washington Vanderbilt, inherited the least amount of money in the family, being the youngest of all the boys. He was also responsible for taking care of his mother after his father died. When his mother was told by doctors to go south to Asheville to heal her respiratory problems, George took her there to ensure she recovered, but she soon fell in love with the town. It was here that he built the beloved Biltmore estate, which gets its moniker from his family’s surname / town and Scottish moors, which were one of his favorite things to see. He changed the spelling and thus was born this great estate. Today’s post covers all the pictures from the “Roof Top” tour, where you will see the ornate limestone carvings, the domes, the observatory, various components of the roof and the gorgeous, sweeping views around the property. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

IMG_2572IMG_2575IMG_2577IMG_2578IMG_2581IMG_2583IMG_2584IMG_2586IMG_2589IMG_2590IMG_2592IMG_2594IMG_2595IMG_2596IMG_2597IMG_2598IMG_2601IMG_2604

18 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 198 – Bilt

September 26, 2017 at 7:08 AM

That looks so amazing!

September 26, 2017 at 7:47 AM

Beautiful! I can only imagine. Thanks so much for sharing your travels with us, James. ❤

Stephanie said:
    September 26, 2017 at 10:22 AM

I love your pictures! They make me nostalgic 😊 I have so many wonderful memories of visiting Biltmore as a child with my parents growing up and Eric and I alternate between Asheville and Charleston as our long weekend romantic getaways. I think it’s time he and I go back 💗 I knew you’d enjoy the visit there. It’s gorgeous, but I love the history too. I always thought it would be a perfect setting for a novel 😉 My favorite time to visit it is Christmas…gorgeous! You should plan another trip one year in December.

AJ said:
    September 26, 2017 at 10:23 AM

Wow that is so cool you can go on the roof!

cwhiteweb said:
    September 26, 2017 at 11:46 AM

These are lovely pictures James!!
    I had no idea “van” means from. Dutch people colonized South Africa so we have a lot of “Froms” in the South. Nice to know!

September 26, 2017 at 12:33 PM

Great pictures! Neat to be able to go up on the roof. Thanks for sharing!

vannettasvault said:
    September 26, 2017 at 3:44 PM

Thank you so much for the history presentation. The rooftop design is simply awesome. I cannot wait to see what you will post next!

Firelands said:
    September 26, 2017 at 4:50 PM

Thanks for the great photos. I visited Biltmore when I lived in Charleston in the late ’90’s, and liked it so much, I went back. They had a winery, too, I remember.

anne leueen said:
    September 26, 2017 at 8:18 PM

Extraordinary! And gargoyles too! Thanks for these photos and for sharing this with us.

marielisab said:
    September 26, 2017 at 11:22 PM

Beautiful !! I am going to check my Dutch ancestry to see if I am part of the Vanderbilt family ! If so, welkom vriend !! I will speak to the family about getting you a permanent suite. 😉

janieleeds said:
    September 30, 2017 at 4:54 PM

Wow! So amazing!!!

October 1, 2017 at 4:11 PM

They just don’t build them like they used to, do they? These were great pics!