365 Challenge: Day 200 – South

South: a part of the country where I am currently visiting (and think I’m from)

south

Howdy. Today we spent a few hours driving around different neighborhoods in Charlotte to get a good feel for the city. It’s quite beautiful and has a definite southern appeal and nostalgia to it. I like to claim I am from the south, but W refuses to accept me being born and living in Florida for the first 2+ years of my life as qualifying me to ‘be from the south.’ I disagree, especially when the map above clearly shows I am from the south. I suppose him being from Louisiana means he would know better, but I refuse to accept this one! We also spent a few hours today touring the Levine Museum of the New South. It chronicled the shape of the south’s culture and identity after the American Civil War through current times, covering freedom from slavery, industrialization, Great Depression, New Deal Impacts, Civil Rights and re-building Charlotte into a financial center. Quite informative and amazing photos, videos and stories, but I couldn’t take any pictures. Sorry!

charlotte

As I finish up my trip in the south, since apparently Florida for the next 4+ days doesn’t count, I am more appreciative of this part of the country than I was in the past. I would enjoy living here, but I will say temperatures in the 90s in September was more than I could handle. I much prefer the 60s, but that’s not too common in the south as I had suspected. It’ll be interesting to see where we go next in this journey to check out options for the future. For now, you are probably reading this message as we are arriving at or are in flight to Orlando for a wedding and Disney weekend. I also get to see another good friend for lunch who moved here several years ago. Exciting! I’ll be back again tomorrow, but have no idea what the post will be about yet… hopefully it will contain pictures for you this time.

26 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 200 – South

September 28, 2017 at 6:26 AM

Sounds like y’all are really enjoying your vacation. I would definitely say Florida is part of the south 🙂

September 28, 2017 at 6:27 AM

Yay! More support. 🙂 thank you. Doing ok there?

September 28, 2017 at 6:29 AM

Everything is good here. Getting excited for my trip at the end of next month. I found out we will be going to North Carolina as well.

September 28, 2017 at 7:56 AM

Excellent. That’s exciting. Anywhere I was?

September 28, 2017 at 8:01 AM

The only place I know for sure we are going is Bryson City. That is where we will be doing the 3-4 hour train ride I told you about. Other than that we don’t know what else we will be doing or where else we will go.

September 28, 2017 at 8:02 AM

I can’t wait to hear all about it.

September 28, 2017 at 8:05 AM

I will definitely do a post once I get back from my trip.

September 28, 2017 at 7:14 AM

Michigan! The weather has your name all over it! 😉

September 28, 2017 at 8:31 AM

You’re a New Yorker. Get over it…..have a great time!

Patty said:
    September 28, 2017 at 8:45 AM

haha! Yep 90* in Sept. lol I am used to it. It doesn’t even really get that cold in the winter months and if it does it is over before you know it. I have family in Florida and yes I consider it the South. 🙂 I hope you have a blast and take lots of pictures. I just love wedding photos. 🙂

Finding the Calm in Chaos said:
    September 28, 2017 at 8:54 AM

I love Florida, but I don’t consider it the “south”. lol

September 28, 2017 at 10:07 AM

I would have thought Florida was the South, but hey, I’m English what do I know?!

September 28, 2017 at 10:48 AM

You’re right. 90 degrees in September is completely awful. Seems to have cooled down significantly today though thank goodness, lol.

September 28, 2017 at 11:47 AM

I don’t know why but I consider all of that side the East Coast. Isn’t it on the east coast? The map clearly shows that it is in the south though and since it is below Tennessee and Virginia, etc., which are also considered south, it must be south. It is still in the 80’s and 90’s here on the West Coast, and I would definitely consider California the west. I’ve been enjoying your trip. Thanks for taking us along, pictures or no pictures.

Kristin said:
    September 30, 2017 at 11:13 PM

Wish we could have met up when you were in Charlotte!