365 Challenge: Day 206 – Embrace

Embrace: (a) accept or support [a belief, theory, or change] willingly and enthusiastically, or (b) hold closely in one’s arms, especially as a sign of affection

eme

Life is about embracing as much as you can while you have the chance. It is short, even if you live an entire century with little to no health issues. It may not seem so, but with so many choices and opportunities surrounding us, we will never accomplish everything on our infamous lists. Since returning from vacation less than two days ago, I realized how much time I spend doing things because I just do them as part of a daily task, rather than because I want to do them. When I was on vacation, other than prearranged tours or transportation, there wasn’t a single thing I ‘had‘ to do other than enjoy my time. I like that life. And while I recognize it cannot always be that way, and not everyone has the freedom to embrace it, I believe strongly in finding a way to make that the predominant approach to my remaining years. Two things are forcing me to realize it since my return:

I met a very cool blogger earlier this year who helped push me to submit my own work to agencies and publishers. As I grew to know Melanie Mole a little more, I learned she was also a writer who had her own books available for purchase. I chose her newest one, ‘Simply Does It‘ and began reading it the night I returned from my trip. Click the link to read more about it on the Goodreads book page, but give me another two days and I’ll have a review posted all about it. It is the exact perfect reminder we all need to help us realize our priorities and attune our focus towards our goals. As I read the pages while laying in bed each night, I kept wondering how to get myself closer and closer to the ideals of how I want to live my life. I believe this book may help me realize a few of those paths. Embrace the simplicity of everything around us, not the things that we feel forced to do.

But there was also something quite horrific this week, something happening all too frequently, that hit a little more close to home than it ever has before. What happened in Las Vegas was an absolute tragedy and there aren’t enough words to express how any of us feel. When I heard the news, I knew my cousin had been in Las Vegas but thought he had left the night before. He didn’t. He and his girlfriend were there onsite in the venue when the shooting started. They were actually in a row right next to someone who was shot. He’s about 14 years younger than I am, but we were very close as children and young adults. I babysat him when our parents would go out for dinners on their own or to other activities. I cannot imagine what it’s like for the families and friends of victims to lose someone like this. I’m grateful and lucky it didn’t happen this time to my family this time, but ultimately, it could at any point in the future. This reminder, way too close to home, helps you re-set your own priorities. You can see him and his girlfriend’s account of how they escaped in the news audio clips in this link.

Life is short. We should always do whatever is in our power to enjoy each day, focused on our goals, helping one another and finding paths that make us happy. Not working 24/7, constantly waiting for some device to tell us what to do, or wishing for something different. Get out there and make it happen for yourself. Learn how to find the simplicity and the happiness we all crave. Embrace what you deserve.

44 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 206 – Embrace

shalini said:
    October 4, 2017 at 9:58 AM

Heya you are back or rather I am back on WP. great post

shalini said:
    October 4, 2017 at 10:00 AM

Jay your cousin was so close omg omg… We should hold on to our loved ones

melaniemolewriter said:
    October 4, 2017 at 10:10 AM

So pleased that your relatives are safe J. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved.

October 4, 2017 at 10:45 AM

oh my god, that’s awful! i can’t even say what’s in my head right now. i am happy, that nothing happened to your cousin! it really reminds us to live every moment to the fullest!

Atwood Cutting said:
    October 4, 2017 at 10:52 AM

“Learn how to find the simplicity and the happiness we all crave.” As a pioneer in Alaska, in the 1970s, I long ago embraced “the simplicity and the happiness we all crave.” Yet, here I am today, wedged into the 21st century, and trying to embrace modern technology, to which I seem to be allergic, Last week I gave away my smart phone, and I feel so much better, now that I can look up and see the sky again. If you are interested, I invite you to my website. Is it okay to give out the web address here?
    Atwood

October 4, 2017 at 11:05 AM

Hi. Absolutely. I look at my blog as a way to share among friends. Not just mine. I wonder what would happen if I gave away my phone. I resisted until just a few years ago, but I had a non-smart flip phone until about 2014. I get it.

October 4, 2017 at 10:59 AM

Great post and great reminder!

Cozynookbks said:
    October 4, 2017 at 11:06 AM

I’m so happy that your family members are safe. Thanks for reminding us to enjoy life and to not be bogged down by things we don’t find enjoyable.

Mel Gutiér said:
    October 4, 2017 at 11:38 AM

My favorite post by far. Except for Ryder’s. Sorry. He’s better than you. 😘

Kiersten said:
    October 4, 2017 at 11:49 AM

This is a good post. I feel like all of us, regardless of what we’re going through, can benefit from this reminder.

I’m glad your cousin is okay! I keep thinking about all the poor people who were there at the time of the shooting and how horrifying it all must have been. It makes me sick. 😦

Books Teacup and Reviews said:
    October 4, 2017 at 12:39 PM

So glad your cousin is safe! Great post! ☺

October 4, 2017 at 12:44 PM

Thank goodness your family was safe. I cannot imagine being in such a position and yet from now on every concert I go to I will be a little bit more vigilant. Agree about simplicity. It is also less expensive in most cases. As we get older, that becomes a big factor. Great post, Jay.

October 4, 2017 at 12:45 PM

I appreciate it. I hardly go it anymore just because this kinda stuff worries me. Awful!

theorangutanlibrarian said:
    October 4, 2017 at 2:12 PM

Gosh this is such a powerful, wonderful post. I’m glad to hear your cousin was alright- and you put it beautifully about the message we should all take away from this.

AJ said:
    October 4, 2017 at 3:17 PM

I’m slowly learning the importance of priorities:)

October 4, 2017 at 4:02 PM

So glad your cousin and his girlfriend are safe, how scary!
    I often think how amazing it would be to be more impulsive, then I start panicking about needing to make to do lists and it all goes out the window! I can’t do impulsive! 😂

October 7, 2017 at 2:51 PM

Thank you. I appreciate it. There’s a balance to this somewhere.

lghiggins said:
    October 4, 2017 at 8:43 PM

Lots of good reminders to make choices and live life to the fullest. Regrettably, so many people wait until they retire to figure this out. Some never do.

October 7, 2017 at 2:52 PM

It’s a hard lesson to let yourself learn. But when you do, it’s magic.

anne leueen said:
    October 4, 2017 at 9:12 PM

“while you have a chance.” Yes. Life can pass you by while you wait for the perfect moment. So yes do it while you have a chance.

MoJo said:
    October 5, 2017 at 3:50 PM

Beautiful post my friend. I’m thankful that your cousin is ok. One of my coworkers was trying to locate friends that were there. For hours friends and family waited for the call. Thankfully they ended up being okay, but it could have gone the other direction. It’s very very scary now.

October 8, 2017 at 8:19 AM

Thank you so much. Your comments went in spam and just found them. Silly WP. I’m glad your co-worker’s friend was ok, too.

RobbyeFaye said:
    October 13, 2017 at 12:31 PM

WOW! There are some compelling and powerful thoughts on this post.
    I’m so glad your cousin and girlfriend are ok. My heart aches for the families of those that didn’t survive and for all who were injured. Frightening.