365 Challenge: Day 207 – Peanut

Peanut: the oval seed of a South American plant, widely roasted and salted and eaten as a snack — also a big allergy for many people

peanut

Choosing today’s 365 Daily Challenge word was rough. My mind is not focused on the blog because I received overnight the final cover photos of my book. There may have been a small happy dance at one point prior to my first cup of coffee. And I think Ryder told me to stop and get his breakfast before he barked at me. Oh well… point being… I can’t come up with a word, but I did have an emotion I was feeling. Although the word is ‘peanut,’ it really stands for something different, which I believe will come to light at the end of the post.

On the final flight home earlier this week, an airline employee announced prior to boarding that one of the passengers had a severe peanut allergy. No peanut products would be served on board nor could anyone bring or open anything with peanuts on the flight. When we boarded the plane, an attendant reminded everyone again and noted the parent of the small child was currently reading the labels on the flight’s snacks to determine what could and could not be served that day. You can imagine a few of the reactions from fellow passengers. Lots of things crossed my mind, and before anyone thinks I’m being unfair, all I’m noting below are things that occurred to me as I considered the entire situation. Not that I agreed with or supported the thought.

1. Is it fair to stop other people from eating a snack they like because one person is allergic and chooses that flight?
  2. Should there be a separate enclosed place on a plane for passengers with allergies?
  3. Is it right to expect someone not to fly because their allergy limits other people?
  4. Why would someone get upset over not being able to eat peanuts for 3 hours when it really has very little impact on them?
  5. Can someone really be so allergic that even another passenger 30 feet away eating peanuts could cause a problem?
  6. Why would a parent risk their child’s life on a plane, assuming that all passengers truly follow the rule and don’t open their own peanut snack?
  7. Was this just a preventative warning to limit the amount of exposure, knowing the parent had the epi in case something peanut-related did happen?
  8. How awful must it be for that parent to know they have to always worry about the allergy and put limits on others to ensure the safety of their own child?
  9. What must that child feel knowing they are potentially the reason another passenger is upset or angry?
  10. Is there really any correct solution or answer to this situation?

I’m sure there are more questions, answers, thoughts and points of view. I included only the first ten that popped into my head. As I mentioned earlier, it’s not really about peanuts. It could have been chocolate or dairy or any other food item. It may have been certain kinds of material or animal fur. The ultimate point is where do you draw the line between something being too much of an impact on the person with the allergy/issue versus the people impacted by it? The person with the allergy didn’t choose the issue. I suppose it comes down to good communication, money and alternative options. No real answers in my post, just something to think about without judgment. I’m sure many people reading this either have a similar allergy or care for someone with a similar allergy.

I’m one of those people who would say: For a 3-hour flight, who really cares if I have to abstain from peanuts or chocolate? Even for a 12-hour flight. It’s a minor inconvenience and ultimately prevents a larger problem, so I’d happily keep my peanuts locked in a bag somewhere. But what if it’s about allergies to pet fur and I need to bring my pet on the plane? Then I’m inclined to think that’s impacting my entire travel option, so it’s probably more a responsibility for the person with the allergy to find another way to travel or another way to limit the exposure. I’m not putting the value of a pet before that of a person… ultimately plane travel is for people not for dogs. And as much as I love my pet, people should come first; however, it’s a tough situation.

I had listened to both peanut announcements. W and I briefly discussed it. Neither really cared and we ignored the few groans around us. What struck me most was how the poor parent and child felt about the whole situation, as they deal with it for an entire lifetime. Those passengers dealt with it for less than three hours. How does everyone else feel about the topic?

53 thoughts on “365 Challenge: Day 207 – Peanut

Kiersten said:
    October 5, 2017 at 9:56 AM

This is a tough one. As someone who is literally obsessed with all things peanut butter (especially if chocolate is involved), my first response it to feel inconvenienced and cranky. “What do you mean NO peanuts?! This is a free country damn it!” Once I get past that initial irrational response I can see how this could be a major problem. I can’t even fathom having an allergy so severe that even being in the same room as something could cause a threat to my life. Unless we want to ban people from flying because they are inconveniencing others (which doesn’t seem fair), there isn’t much we can do other than try to accommodate them. I feel like at this point in time we should have more of this allergy thing figured out by now so that this isn’t even a problem, but alas, we are not there yet.

October 7, 2017 at 2:53 PM

You have the same struggle I do. I might need to research why/how it’s becoming such a major issue for people.

Atwood Cutting said:
    October 5, 2017 at 10:11 AM

You raise good questions. Modern conveniences are pretty much taken as “a right,” and not as a privilege” and no one relishes the need to sacrifice their private creature comforts for another individual. But kindness prevailing would be preferable. On the other hand, no one had ever heard of peanut allergies when I was a girl, nor flu shots, nor seat belts in cars… Not sure where this diatribe is going. As I said, you’ve raised some good questions.
    In the meantime, here is my website, as mentioned yesterday. I once sought the simple life, but now I (we) live in a condo. While we sit our morning coffee, someone else climbs up on the roof to chip ice from the gutters. It’s a trade off. One decides how much of society one is willing to put up with, in order to avoid strenuous labor and anarchy, I guess. http://www.sleepingmoosesaga.com
    Good wishes to you and to W., and to everyone else with a good heart, Atwood

October 7, 2017 at 2:54 PM

I appreciate it. You make great points. I never got flu shots until a few years ago. I noticed they helped, but then last year I didn’t get one, nor any flu. Interesting stuff…

I will look at the site this weekend. I look forward to it. Still catching up on all the posts from this week. 🙂

October 5, 2017 at 10:17 AM

Funny…I had this conversation recently with friends of mine, one of whom flies onboard with her dog. We have decided (and cause we decided it, its correct) that when making an airline reservation there should be a spot that asks if you have allergies and then there should be a special section on the plane. And yes, there should be an allergy surcharge. It becomes a right of the individual vs the right of the group….but it brings a host of other things….I’m sensitive to cigarette smoke…if I sit next to a smoker, even if they’re not smoking, my eyes water. Where do my rights end? Am I supposed to suck it up and be uncomfortable? While I realize a peanut allergy is life threatening, where is the line? What is someone has a kid who only eats peanut butter on the same flight? Great, thought provoking post. And Yay on cover!.,!

October 7, 2017 at 2:56 PM

I like the way you think about you deciding, so it’s the final answer! I’ve always believed if there’s something I’m doing that’s physically hurting another person, then I need to curb/change it around them. I don’t smoke, but if I did, and I knew someone didn’t like it, I would not around them. I think that’s probably the same on peanuts. LOL You’ve given lots to think about in return!

October 7, 2017 at 3:11 PM

I’m telling you….I’m always right…..😉if it were up to me, smoking would be outlawed…..just saying….

October 7, 2017 at 3:16 PM

Wow, that line just got blurry real fast.

October 7, 2017 at 3:20 PM

Sorry….can’t see through the smoke…..

October 7, 2017 at 3:21 PM

quite dusty, they should outlaw the smoky aspects too

October 7, 2017 at 3:25 PM

I know what you mean about impacting others with your habits….when does someone’s rights interfere with someone else’s…..I was at a movie and someone asked me to stop tapping my foot….now you have to understand, I was in sneakers not stilettos, and it was a matinee with about 4 people in the theater, and this guy chose to sit directly in front of me when there were literally 50 empty seats….

October 7, 2017 at 3:32 PM

He should have been thrown out!

October 7, 2017 at 3:33 PM

I know…right!! FYI….my friend sitting next to me didn’t hear my tapping my foot…..

Patty said:
    October 5, 2017 at 10:26 AM

Interesting topic of discussion. It makes me ponder on how I feel about that. But I am thinking a special section or something like that. It is too risky not to have precautions like that. I never had this type situation arise for me yet.
    Horray on the cover photos coming in. 🙂 Things are progressing at a fast pace for you. Congrats

October 7, 2017 at 2:57 PM

Special section does seem like the best solution.

Thanks! I think I can share the cover this week. Just waiting for the final OK!

authorsinspirations said:
    October 5, 2017 at 10:59 AM

People who have a special need usually are required to announce it – if they want their needs to be taken into account – during the booking of a ticket. For example when I need to board a plane and I’m alone, I ask for assistance in the airport – when I book the ticket. Now, if I’m allergic to fur and note it when I book, I don’t think someone with, let’s say a service dog will be booked in that flight – or placed anywhere near me.
    I grew up in Brazil, where peanuts come in all savory methods, sweet, salty, sour, peppery and is served everywhere and I’ve only heard about ‘peanut allergies’ when I was In my twenties, when a guy from a local high school in Connecticut almost died after kissing a girl who’d eaten peanuts some two hour prior to it.

October 7, 2017 at 2:58 PM

Scary to thin about the kissing scenario. Someone else mentioned being hundreds of feet away and still being impacted. Wow! I don’t know how/where this came from.

October 5, 2017 at 11:28 AM

Very interesting subject. Our daughter dated a boy with peanut allergy and he did end up in the ER because of inadvertently eating something that was made with peanut oil. We had to make sure that nothing was cooked with peanuts/peanut oil when we ate out. As to dogs, I just don’t like them and would definitely be upset if I got on a plane with a dog sitting next to me. We did recently fly and there were dogs on the plane but they were not near me so I didn’t say anything. What happened to putting them in a crate in with the luggage? (Sorry Ryder). I’m all for special sections on a plane, in a restaurant, wherever they need to be. I certainly wouldn’t want to have someone’s death on my conscience because I wanted some peanut butter and I realize that pet people consider their animals family and I wouldn’t want to leave one of my kids home. Can’t wait to see the book cover!

October 7, 2017 at 3:00 PM

Great commentary. I love dogs but I would probably never bring Ryder on a plane. He’s just small enough (20lbs) where he could sit in a carrier under my seat. But it just feels like a lot of effort and pain for everyone involved. I did once have another dog in the cargo underneath. She developed awful seizures afterwards, and at first, I thought it may have been the plane. But then Ryder got them too, and he’d never been on a plane. It could be the breed. Either way, it’s a hard thing to hand them off in the airport knowing they’re being locked in darkness! I totally understand where you’re coming from.

A few more days, just waiting for the approval to release the cover. I approved the final version yesterday! 🙂

October 5, 2017 at 11:41 AM

For me I have to say I think the flight attendant did the right thing. Most people are honestly lucky if they get any snacks during their domestic flight. Its a courtesy through and through. They don’t HAVE to give you snacks, they choose to and we’ve just become accustomed to it. I have a friend who’s severely allergic to cats but he’s a groomer and he comes over my house (I have 2 cats) all the time. He just makes sure he takes his allergy medicine and carries an epi. Technology is pretty advanced, especially in the pharmaceutical field nowadays that preventives are a thing. That being said though, it all goes back to courtesy. It’s just wrong to me to be mad about something you’re getting for free. If you paid for it, that’s a different story.

October 7, 2017 at 3:02 PM

Interesting comments. I understand/agree on it, but also see the flip side. They charge so much, it’s kind of like part of the package when you pay the ticket. You also get a snack, water and a magazine. LOL But in the end, 3 hours is not a lot to wait.

Your poor friend. Allergies to pets are so hard. Such lovable creatures.

I do wish we could find out where these allergies came from and how to prevent them! 😛

October 7, 2017 at 3:52 PM

Lol hey unless it’s listed before you buy something, it’s on you. But I can see too. The best way to prevent a peanut allergy anyway is exposing yourself to it slowly over time. I watched a documentary about it. Kids allergic to peanuts were given a teaspoon a peanut butter a day. They’d break out but a doctor was near to control the situation. Eventually the reaction became less and less and they weren’t allergic anymore.

October 7, 2017 at 3:54 PM

That’s pretty cool! Scary but might be worth it.

bookstalkerblog said:
    October 5, 2017 at 11:54 AM

great article My daughter has a propylene glycol allergy of all things(it’s in nearly everything), mostly topical (if it touches her skin) so I feel the pain of allergy sufferers. I think more often than not they (the afflicted) tend to suffer in silence and don’t say anything, maybe when they should. I remember having a teacher that was allergic to perfume, and that semester we just didn’t wear any. Of course, flare ups aren’t healthy but if it can flat out kill you, then I agree- is it a big deal to pass on peanuts?I would feel so bad for the parent and child too. It’s not like they want to have this allergy, funny to think any of us can, at any point in the future, suddenly be hit with a severe allergy to something that never bothered us before. Compassion is a good thing 🙂

October 7, 2017 at 3:04 PM

Totally true – compassion is good. Wow, your daughter has it quite rough. that’s a hard one to avoid.

I agree on the silence part. Most of the time, sufferers are silent about it. Sometimes they are the complete opposite and use it as a crux. Such a hard line. Ultimately, when it’s such a small amount of time, I think avoiding peanuts on the plane is pretty simple!

Tea and Tales1 said:
    October 5, 2017 at 12:00 PM

Recently we heard the same announcement on a plane trip. I was disappointed because I love those peanuts. After we were in the air the young man next to me pulls out the big bag of peanut M&Ms. I looked at him and he said, “What? They’re in a protective cover!” I ate 7.

AJ said:
    October 5, 2017 at 1:09 PM

As someone with allergies, I always feel horrible when my allergies impact other people:( I don’t think there is a right answer for everyone.

MoJo said:
    October 5, 2017 at 3:45 PM

We deal with the peanut situation in school constantly. There is a child in one of my kids’ classes that has the allergy, but peanut products would be forbidden even if there wasn’t one in there. The part that I don’t understand is why it has become such a monster issue now. Weren’t there always peanut allergies? I don’t remember hearing about any life-threatening peanut reactions for decades. I’m not poking fun. I literally don’t ever remember anyone having a horrific reaction. I have mixed feelings on this, too, and that is less about my sensitivity to the issue than it is about certain parents I know who speak of the allergies like their child is at death’s door. I have a kid with dairy problems. It makes her really sick. But I’m not about to ask for cows to leave the area. With that said, she doesn’t go into anaphylactic shock if she is exposed to dairy. If she did, those cows would be toast. So I’m undecided and I don’t care if I can’t have peanuts for days. Ironically I was at the airport yesterday and notice some Reese’s peanut butter cups (yum!) in a gift shop. I thought that it was odd that they were selling them there given this very situation on planes.

Now…for the awesome stuff – are you crazy excited about the cover?!?! That is so stinkin’ cool JC4!!!!

October 8, 2017 at 8:21 AM

Yes! Big cover reveal next week. Can’t wait!!!

You make such an eloquent point. Where did this allergy suddenly come from? I need to research this tomorrow. 🙂 Sounds like you handle it the right way. Kids are the most impacted by it, I suppose, as I they have to deal with it when they are still so young.

MoJo said:
        October 9, 2017 at 8:25 PM

I’m so crazy excited for you!!! Can I pre-order this bad boy yet??

October 9, 2017 at 9:07 PM

Hopefully by end of week! 🙂

October 5, 2017 at 6:18 PM

Given I suffer with a bunch of allergies I have no issue with the peanut allergy rule on planes. I have a friend who has the full blown peanut allergy including airborne spores and it’s not pretty and gets dangerous quickly.

dtills said:
    October 5, 2017 at 7:42 PM

HI, I wanted to let you know that I have nominated you for the “one lovely blog award”! Your blog is wonderful!

anne leueen said:
    October 5, 2017 at 9:22 PM

I don’t think it is a problems for me for a3 hour or a much longer flight. What I wonder is why are there people with these allergies now?When I was in school everyone ate peanut butter sandwiches and now they at not allowed in most schools. How did we get to this peanut allergy situation? Why are kids not so seriously allergic to peanuts? How did this happen? Does anyone know? I would love to know the answer.

Darque Dreamer Reads said:
    October 6, 2017 at 3:32 PM

This one is a very difficult situation because I have no major food allergies myself, so I cannot completely understand it. But I know someone who is so allergic to peanuts that she ends up in the ER from inhaling the dust or touching the dust in any way. She is one of those who keeps the entire plane from having any peanut products on board, but she had recently moved to Hawaii with her fiance who had gotten a residency position with a hospital, so she had no choice but to take a plane. They also recently moved back to Florida because she had horrible seasonal allergies to something in Hawaii, and again had to ride a plane. She has taken plane rides before and worn gloves and masks, but the experience was worse for her with that because she had rude stares and comments made from people who thought she was sick. She was in class in Hawaii and had an attack because a classmate opened something with peanuts near her, so her professor banned all eating in the classroom and her classmates were extremely rude to her afterward. But she had to attend class. So, I am very sympathetic toward her and those in her situation, but have never been in the situation where I was not allowed to eat something I truly love because someone else was allergic to it. I don’t really like peanuts, lol.

October 7, 2017 at 3:12 PM

What an intense story! I feel bad for her. Sympathy is definitely good in this case. I suppose there’s a huge difference between a restaurant / classroom / store where someone can actually get up and leave, as opposed to a plane where you are trapped for the length of the flight. Good share, thank you.

Darque Dreamer Reads said:
        October 7, 2017 at 5:53 PM

There definitely is a big difference. It is really hard to know how you would feel in that situation for both parties.

janieleeds said:
    October 7, 2017 at 11:08 AM

I agree with you. For a 3 hour flight, it’s a minor inconvenience – really even for a 12 hour flight. Honestly, it’s not a big deal to give up on type of food in order to help someone else. Now the pet thing, that might be a different story honestly. 🙂

mainepaperpusher said:
    October 7, 2017 at 2:04 PM

The final covers! It’s happening right before our very eyes! I’m so proud of you and Ryder should be, too. Even he should give you time enough to enjoy your happy dance!

October 7, 2017 at 3:20 PM

Ah, WP. I typed up a response. Went to hit reply. It thought I said delete. I went and re-approved your comment. It disappeared. Just found it. No response. so I’ll try to re-type it.

Ha! Thank you so much. It means a lot to hear such kind words. I think it will be ready to share next week of the publisher approves me sending it out!!!!

mainepaperpusher said:
        October 7, 2017 at 11:26 PM

You tried to “disappear” me! Hahah! Can’t wait to see the next step in your book’s progress. So exciting!!

October 8, 2017 at 8:22 AM

I like the use of that word as a verb. We may have to start using it all the time so other people also pick it up!

mainepaperpusher said:
        October 8, 2017 at 9:09 AM

Hehe!

Books Teacup and Reviews said:
    October 9, 2017 at 9:25 AM

Just smelling peanuts by opening packet can cause any sever effect?!?! If it’s so that person can’t go to any place, anyone anywhere might be opening peanut packets! And if it’s that sever there might be some precaution provide d by physicians like person could take medicine or something? Effect can last for 3 hrs for sure.
    It’s plane so it can be possible to announce such thing what about other places?
    I personally won’t mind not eating anything with peanut or won’t open packet and follow all instructions. but It just gave me this thought.

October 9, 2017 at 9:36 AM

Apparently. I feel bad. I totally understand where you are coming from. I was surprised when the flight attendant made the announcement.